Long Island, NY - OTA - Page 19 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #541 of 569 Old 09-30-2018, 05:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Did CBS stop transmitting from Ridge? I don't think I get it anymore. I used to have two channel 2-1. Now I am lucky if I get one. Didn't have any 2-1 today Sunday 9/30/2018.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 569 Old 10-01-2018, 05:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKenmore View Post
Did CBS stop transmitting from Ridge? I don't think I get it anymore. I used to have two channel 2-1. Now I am lucky if I get one. Didn't have any 2-1 today Sunday 9/30/2018.

Yes it’s been some time since they stopped. And now I can’t pull in CBS either anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #543 of 569 Old 10-01-2018, 06:31 AM

Thanks Jay. That's a real bummer. I guess I haven't been watching that much TV recently to notice. CBS from NYC is a real pain for me to bring in. I am in Kings Park, Suffolk County (north shore). The Ridge 2.1 was terrific. I'm not sure the issue exactly. I think it may be cochannel interference from WFSB CBS in Hartford CT???? It's been a while since I battled this. Antenna is a Channel Master 4228HD 8-bay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #544 of 569 Old 10-01-2018, 06:49 AM

I seem to be getting mixed info on the internet. Are WCBS and WFSB still transmitting on the same channel? I know it was 33 but I see somewhere that they both moved to 36? Is there any hope?!?!
post #545 of 569 Old 10-01-2018, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
I seem to be getting mixed info on the internet. Are WCBS and WFSB still transmitting on the same channel? I know it was 33 but I see somewhere that they both moved to 36? Is there any hope?!?!
yes both are still on RF33 and yes both are moving to RF36. They are moving Phase 4 which is between June 22, 2019 - August 2, 2019

The reason both stations are going to be on RF36 is that stations that cause minimal interference between each station right now will keep the same interference numbers and move to same new station.
post #546 of 569 Old 10-01-2018, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Thanks Jay. That's a real bummer. I guess I haven't been watching that much TV recently to notice. CBS from NYC is a real pain for me to bring in. I am in Kings Park, Suffolk County (north shore). The Ridge 2.1 was terrific. I'm not sure the issue exactly. I think it may be cochannel interference from WFSB CBS in Hartford CT???? It's been a while since I battled this. Antenna is a Channel Master 4228HD 8-bay.
Is your antenna directional? I would think that if you point it towards NYC it should negate any interference from WFSB. If WFSB is stronger at your location then maybe point the antenna in that direction.
post #547 of 569 Old 10-01-2018, 09:11 AM

Interesting point......per their description my antenna "is an 8-Bay, phased array, multi-directional outdoor antenna that receives high definition and digital signals from a span of 180 degrees. This antenna has a reception range of up to 80 miles."

Maybe I need a VERY directional antenna.
post #548 of 569 Old 10-01-2018, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 18
MrKenmore, I have the same problem at my place. There are times when WFSB gets its signal enhanced just enough to keep WCBS from decoding here. Unfortunately, one ATSC 1.0 signal has to be MUCH stronger than the other on a co-channel for the stronger one to decode. As I keep saying on this board, hopefully ATSC 3.0 will mitigate our problem.

Last edited by Brian in CT; 10-01-2018 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Typo
post #549 of 569 Old 10-02-2018, 08:44 AM

I hear ya Brian! We are in the same boat for sure. I am directly across the water from you. If I was more south on Long Island, I probably wouldn't have the issue. I am still just completely baffled how this issue is allowed to continue by the powers that be. One would think the priority would be on the major networks for signal (CBS, NBC, FOX, ABC). Somehow I get Spanish language and Korean language stations in crystal clear with no co channel interference!!!! Seems they figured it out.
post #550 of 569 Old 10-02-2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Somehow I get Spanish language and Korean language stations in crystal clear with no co channel interference!!!! Seems they figured it out.
There was a RF channel selection process that took place before the DTV switchover in June 2009. WCBS & WFSB ended up picking the same channel (33), and the FCC approved both. This is just one of many current instances of co-channels being "too close." There will be many more after the repack. Those of us about midway between such stations will have to bear with it until the rollout of ATSC 3.0. Soon please!
post #551 of 569 Old 10-07-2018, 07:40 AM

Excuse my ignorance (I did try to do a web search on this), but how will ATSC 3.0 help our situation?

BTW - NYC CBS 2.1 coming in today!
post #552 of 569 Old 10-07-2018, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Excuse my ignorance (I did try to do a web search on this), but how will ATSC 3.0 help our situation?
From what I've read and heard (mostly from Trip), ATSC 3.0 is a huge improvement over ATSC 1.0. For example, the threshold for drop outs from multipath is greatly improved while the threshold for drop outs from co-channel interference will also be improved. Plus, ATSC 3.0 will have 4K resolution capability. I'm hoping the FCC forces the switch, over a period of two or three years, shortly after repack ends.

I Forgot, ATSC 3.0 can fit a lot more data into a 6 Mhz. channel than ATSC 1.0. That means WLNY can run the WCBS feed among its subchannels with no problem.

Last edited by Brian in CT; 10-08-2018 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Forgot Something
post #553 of 569 Old 10-09-2018, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in CT View Post
I Forgot, ATSC 3.0 can fit a lot more data into a 6 Mhz. channel than ATSC 1.0. That means WLNY can run the WCBS feed among its subchannels with no problem.
Well that's exciting! I will be installing a Winegard HD7694P this weekend in an effort to zero in on 1WTC with a yagi style antenna. My Channel Master 4228HD is too wide so I think I am picking up Hartford CBS 2.1 and experiencing co-channel interference.
post #554 of 569 Old 10-10-2018, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Well that's exciting! I will be installing a Winegard HD7694P this weekend in an effort to zero in on 1WTC with a yagi style antenna. My Channel Master 4228HD is too wide so I think I am picking up Hartford CBS 2.1 and experiencing co-channel interference.

I would think you'd be better off trying a 91XG, which appears to be much more directional than the HD7694P. You could couple it with a VHF-Hi antenna for 7, 11, and 13, and would probably be okay getting 3 if you want WJLP. (the Hi-VHF antenna would be no worse at picking up RF-3 than the HD 7694P)
post #555 of 569 Old 10-13-2018, 04:18 PM

I found a slight improvement with my new Winegard HD7694P antenna. CBS 2.1 continues to be a challenge. Average about 55-60% for signal strength but fluctuates quite a bit (often causing dropouts). I am also using a Permacolor (AntennaCraft) 10g212 amplifier. Very weak signals without it. I may try yet another spot on the roof for more reliability (this would be my third location). My channel 9-1 comes in terrific! Still not clear on the reasoning why stations broadcasting from the same place have so much variation. Univision still comes in perfect LOL!
post #556 of 569 Old 10-13-2018, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
I found a slight improvement with my new Winegard HD7694P antenna. CBS 2.1 continues to be a challenge. Average about 55-60% for signal strength but fluctuates quite a bit (often causing dropouts). I am also using a Permacolor (AntennaCraft) 10g212 amplifier. Very weak signals without it. I may try yet another spot on the roof for more reliability (this would be my third location). My channel 9-1 comes in terrific! Still not clear on the reasoning why stations broadcasting from the same place have so much variation. Univision still comes in perfect
Wow your description of your reception is exactly like mine, my cbs2 reception is my weakest link drops out sometimes, univision is pegged at 100, I use the 91xg aimed at esb, I get wliw21, wedw49 from building reflections, I'm in western Queens, 91xg is great antenna, lots of gain, don't need vhf antenna either, btw it picks up metv on low vhf and wkob too.

Last edited by DrDon; 11-25-2018 at 07:38 AM. Reason: fixed formatting
post #557 of 569 Old 10-14-2018, 07:25 AM

FYI - The only high VHF I get is 7 ABC. No WPIX 11 or WNET 13. Sometimes I can get ABC channel 8 in Connecticut.
post #558 of 569 Old 10-14-2018, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
@MrKenmore : When you do receive channel 8 from New Haven, do you also get WCTX-TV (MY) channel 59? They call it "MY-TV 9" for the cable position, but it's really channel 59-1. Actually, it's now a subchannel of channel 8 itself. (8-3?) As for the channel used, WTNH-TV broadcasts on VHF-High channel 10.
post #559 of 569 Old 10-15-2018, 02:57 AM

I do remember a MY-TV channel. I haven't seen ABC 8 in a while. If I spun my antenna, I would get it 100% no problem. If I do a new scan, it sometimes comes through. I'll look for the subchannel if it pops up again during a scan.
post #560 of 569 Old 11-25-2018, 09:48 AM

Location: North Shore of central Long Island, NY (Stony Brook)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I was told to repost this here, even though it's not strictly an OTA Long Island issue.

display aspect ratio issue

I have two setups in two different parts of NY, one on Long Island and the other upstate. Different cable and OTAs. I primarily watch PBS stations and at both locations have multiple choices. The issue is that for some stations, the 16:9 displays are "squished" vertically, that is they look like maybe 16:7. I've tried changing settings on my TV and cable/satellite boxes and can't improve it. In the upstate location, one of the stations is from Vermont, the main channel looks like fine but the subsidiary one is squished. Any ideas?

Now that I'm on the Long Island thread, I can add a few things. First, I haven't really used the OTA for the last couple of years, because I got DirectTV. DirectTV, however, doesn't seem to cover the Create subchannels. When I was using OTA, I got all the VHF NYC channels, except CBS 2. I also got several other PBS channels, especially NJTV (channel 50 out of Montclair, NJ). If I reorient my antenna, I get WLNY 55 (Riverhead/Ridge?) or 49 from Bridgeport. I'll go home this afternoon and see if I still get them.
post #561 of 569 Old 11-26-2018, 06:08 AM

Location: North Shore of central Long Island, NY (Stony Brook)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVhike View Post

Now that I'm on the Long Island thread, I can add a few things. First, I haven't really used the OTA for the last couple of years, because I got DirectTV. DirectTV, however, doesn't seem to cover the Create subchannels. When I was using OTA, I got all the VHF NYC channels, except CBS 2. I also got several other PBS channels, especially NJTV (channel 50 out of Montclair, NJ). If I reorient my antenna, I get WLNY 55 (Riverhead/Ridge?) or 49 from Bridgeport. I'll go home this afternoon and see if I still get them.
I went home last night, and discovered that things have changed a lot! First of all, WNET 13 has disappeared! What happened? I loaded TVFool, and 13 is not there - in fact, the closest PBS station listed is WNJN (channel 50 out of Montclair, NJ, part of the NJTV network, now owned (I think) by WNET). Even though it's listed, it's very week on the TVFool chart, and I don't seem to receive it any more.
post #562 of 569 Old 11-26-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
I went home last night, and discovered that things have changed a lot! First of all, WNET 13 has disappeared! What happened? I loaded TVFool, and 13 is not there - in fact, the closest PBS station listed is WNJN (channel 50 out of Montclair, NJ, part of the NJTV network, now owned (I think) by WNET). Even though it's listed, it's very week on the TVFool chart, and I don't seem to receive it any more.
Are you saying you can't pick up WNET, or you're just wondering why it's not listed? I believe WNET is running at reduced power. If you read the New York City forum there are lots of complaints from people not being able to receive WNET. From my location in New Jersey WNET is quite weak, and I get a lot of pixelation especially when it rains. I actually get better reception from WLIW which is much further away.
post #563 of 569 Old 11-26-2018, 11:37 AM

Nobody complaining about wedw main channel, hd picture quality is so crappy, I find it unbearable to watch, why do they have so many subs? ei.. religious,ethnic I use to love watch their programming as alternative to wnet,wliw now is pure rubbish
post #564 of 569 Old 11-26-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Useeme1234 View Post
Nobody complaining about wedw main channel, hd picture quality is so crappy, I find it unbearable to watch, why do they have so many subs? ei.. religious,ethnic I use to love watch their programming as alternative to wnet,wliw now is pure rubbish
WEDW is sharing their frequency with WZME that's why there are so many channels crammed in.
post #565 of 569 Old 11-26-2018, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky212 View Post
WEDW is sharing their frequency with WZME that's why there are so many channels crammed in.
gotcha, doesn't make sense why ruin channel appeal. mho is that wedw is not putting much stock into their pq, for now they know that after repack & atsc 3.0 takes effect, that they'll have more bandwidth on their main channel, some of these channels are going to be streaming only
post #566 of 569 Old 11-26-2018, 05:52 PM

Quote:
display aspect ratio issue

I have two setups in two different parts of NY, one on Long Island and the other upstate. Different cable and OTAs. I primarily watch PBS stations and at both locations have multiple choices. The issue is that for some stations, the 16:9 displays are "squished" vertically, that is they look like maybe 16:7. I've tried changing settings on my TV and cable/satellite boxes and can't improve it. In the upstate location, one of the stations is from Vermont, the main channel looks like fine but the subsidiary one is squished. Any ideas?
Yes, it happens everywhere. Many broadcast TV subchannels are picked off a satellite with little quality control. Therefore 4:3 programing is sometimes shown stretched in 16:9 and vise versa. Sometimes they are double squashed like in your situation. The Me-TV affiliate in NYC shows most of its programming in something close to 5:3, which is an unsatisfactory compromise. There was one low powered station (WASA in NYC) that used to have two subchannels running the same feed, one was in 4:3 and the other in 16:9. You just turned to the correct sub to get the right aspect ratio. And don't get me started on documentaries that show old 3:4 footage cropped or stretched to fit 16:9, I hate it.

Bottom line: These problems are not your fault. It's laziness or an "I don't care" attitude on the broadcasters or cable company's end.
post #567 of 569 Old 11-26-2018, 06:04 PM

Quote:
I loaded TVFool, and 13 is not there - in fact, the closest PBS station listed is WNJN (channel 50 out of Montclair, NJ, part of the NJTV network, now owned (I think) by WNET).
The TV Fool database has not been updated in about three years, and some current TV stations are missing. "Trip in VA." of RabbitEars.info fame is working on his own version as we speak.

By the way, WNJN is now sharing with WNJB (RF channel 8) in New Brunswick. And yes the New Jersey PBS stations are owned by WNET as is WLIW in Long Island.
post #568 of 569 Old 01-06-2019, 12:29 PM

Anyone notice ABC 7 drop out of the normal channels received in western suffolk? Been like that for a few weeks for me. Not sure what happened!
post #569 of 569 Old 01-10-2019, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Anyone notice ABC 7 drop out of the normal channels received in western suffolk? Been like that for a few weeks for me. Not sure what happened!
That’s funny, I just started to be able to receive it recently! I have a flat plastic antenna in a window sill that receives all the major UHF stations from NYC, but I found the past couple of weeks that if I angled it the right way, I could lock WABC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page