126Likes

post #7081 of 7337 Old 10-02-2015, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanF View Post
Roger that - thanks for the correction. That's what I get for going from memory!
thanks for the reply, all.

Yes, I have an amp in the attic and my antenna is VHF/UHF capable. I confirmed my amp was still working by removing power and had some of my channels go away (14.1). Restored power and those weaker channels came back. Fortunately the weather this weekend should be cooler in the mornings. I'll be able to do some more troubleshooting/experimenting with the antenna without risk of passing out. It's been a few years since I purchased it from Radio Shack so I don't remember the exact make/model but it worked well for a time. Anyway, thanks for the feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7082 of 7337 Old 10-04-2015, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneypoo69 View Post
Just a FYI, Netflix is dropping WMC, no more apps & eventually no streaming with WMC.
Yeah, I was about to drop netflix over that but I googled up a hack to get it back. search doesn't seem to work but it's letting me finish a couple series I started before the deadline. Eventually I expect the hack to stop working, too and then I'll drop it and try Amazon...
post #7083 of 7337 Old 10-05-2015, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm in northeast Pflugerville and run a Channel Master CM-4228HD in my attic (http://www.amazon.com/Channel-Master...dp/B000FVVKQM/) along with a low-noise preamp, and have no issues picking up every Austin channel I care to. The long horizontal rails do a great job of picking up KTBC (as discussed, high VHF).

Go as big as you can afford and have space for (unless you live directly underneath the towers), it will help make up for an obstructions and/or height deficiencies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7084 of 7337 Old 10-05-2015, 09:09 PM

So I went up into the attic this weekend to make some adjustments to the antenna. According to antennaweb, the KTBC tower is a little more to the east (left) from my location as compared to the towers for KVUE, KEYE, etc. I moved the antenna to the left in small increments with no change. I finally decided to turn the antenna around all the way to the NE towards Waco. I pulled in their ABC and FOX affiliates with no issues...signals were great. I decided to check Austin stations. I lost a few (KXAN/KBVO)...and some were down in the 10-20% signal strength range...but KTBC was coming in at about 25%. WTH??

I then moved the antenna back towards Austin, but really pointed more to the west of the direction of the towers. Which is nowhere near where they should be pointed. Result: all channels from the Austin area coming in. I'm guessing buildings, foliage, terrain, etc are playing a factor in this.

However, I have noticed one issue with KTBC. When my kitchen lights are turned on, I appear to be getting interference and I lose the KTBC signal. The same goes for our landscape lighting, although the landscape lighting is not as severe...with the kitchen it's unusable. UHF channels are unaffected.

the common factor with the landscape and kitchen lights are that they both have LED lights. But we also have some lamps in the house that are LED's and there is no issue when they are on.

Not sure where to start debugging this.

Any thoughts?
post #7085 of 7337 Old 10-05-2015, 10:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by zama89 View Post
However, I have noticed one issue with KTBC. When my kitchen lights are turned on, I appear to be getting interference and I lose the KTBC signal. The same goes for our landscape lighting, although the landscape lighting is not as severe...with the kitchen it's unusable. UHF channels are unaffected.
And that's why Trip Ericson's widely-used RabbitEars site has a section aptly named "VHF Nightmares":

http://www.rabbitears.info/vhf.php

Interference from all sorts of devices and machines can adversely effect those lower frequencies across the VHF band. Impulse noise is particularly a problem such as lightning. I'm sure Trip will chime in since he regularly checks these threads. In his current home market of Washington, DC, there are at least four VHF channels and perhaps he'll recount what problems (if any) he encountered with channels 7, 9, 11 and 13 up there.
post #7086 of 7337 Old 10-20-2015, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckenisell View Post
I am in Round Rock (Teravista to be exact) and just purchased the OTA to USB adapter for my Dish Hopper. But I am not sure which antenna to get. I checked out the Web site and I believe that I need a medium multidimensional antenna. Not even sure where to start looking.
I picked up this little jewel from BestBuy (made by AntennasDirect) for $90 on sale. With a little careful aiming, it worked perfectly with my Hopper down on Slaughter Lane.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/antennas...&skuId=6847298

ckenisell likes this.

To the world, you are just a person. To a rescue dog, you are the world!
http://www.austinpetsalive.org/ - local in Austin
http://adopt-a-small-dog.adoptapet.com/ - national
post #7087 of 7337 Old 11-05-2015, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 7
ION tv broadcasting on 36.3

It appears KXAN has added another sub channel at 36.3 which is showing ION tv affiliate as of today.
Cabal0 likes this.
post #7088 of 7337 Old 11-05-2015, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I am new at all this as I just turned off my DirecTV and switched to OTA broadcasting but I was getting ION as of a couple of days ago when I did my first channel scan.
post #7089 of 7337 Old 11-06-2015, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

Yep, and it's a permanent addition. I also understand that at least one more (and possibly two) subchannels are coming by the end of the year. I can't help but wonder if this will degrade the video on the main channel.

post #7090 of 7337 Old 11-06-2015, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsho View Post
Yep, and it's a permanent addition. I also understand that at least one more (and possibly two) subchannels are coming by the end of the year. I can't help but wonder if this will degrade the video on the main channel.
I'm thinking yes it will. You can only get a set bit rate out of that signal. When the weather is right I can pick up a San Antonio station that has a total of 5 channels (1 HD, 4 SD) and there is a noticeable difference on the HD channel.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #7091 of 7337 Old 11-06-2015, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member

Which one is that?

post #7092 of 7337 Old 11-08-2015, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Do you know what programming they are considering for these other sub-channels?
post #7093 of 7337 Old 11-08-2015, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

No, the CE mentioned several netlets the other day, but apparently LIN hasn't made up its mind yet. No word on what they were.

post #7094 of 7337 Old 11-12-2015, 07:38 AM
rad
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenj View Post
It appears KXAN has added another sub channel at 36.3 which is showing ION tv affiliate as of today.
Anyone else notice any increase in macro blocking during scenes with a lot of movement since they added this new sub channel?

I hadn't noticed this add until today and while watching the Sunday night football game I thought the PQ was a lot worst then in the past when there was a lot of motion happening.
post #7095 of 7337 Old 11-12-2015, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

It's not your imagination, but I'm not sure it's the .3 that's causing it.

I too took a HARD look at Sunday Night Football and was, frankly, appalled. The macro blocking was terrible. Every single fade up or fade to black broke up.

However...if you take a look at the fades and flashing lights on the local programming, such as the newscasts, you'll see fewer issues. They're there, yes, but not nearly as bad as the football programming.

Honestly, I think we're seeing an NBC issue that may be made worse the the .3 coming online.

post #7096 of 7337 Old 11-12-2015, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It's not your imagination, but I'm not sure it's the .3 that's causing it.

I too took a HARD look at Sunday Night Football and was, frankly, appalled. The macro blocking was terrible. Every single fade up or fade to black broke up.

However...if you take a look at the fades and flashing lights on the local programming, such as the newscasts, you'll see fewer issues. They're there, yes, but not nearly as bad as the football programming.

Honestly, I think we're seeing an NBC issue that may be made worse the the .3 coming online.
NBC has always had that blocking issue on Sunday night football (really noticeable on close-ups with fast movement). I've noticed it since 2006 when I first setup my projector/screen.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #7097 of 7337 Old 11-13-2015, 05:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Any of you on TWC and using their cable box?

I use a Ceton card and have been having signal isssues, and they rolled a truck. Both techs had never seen a cable card or a tuning adapter. After many hours, they were told to pull out the cable card, but the guy was clumsy and actually damaged the Ceton.

So, I got them to loan me a cable box (explorer 8240HDC) until we resolve the other issues.

My question is did I got a current box, or an old surplus piece of crap? It's huge, uses lots of power, and is incredibly slow to do anything. I can't believe TWC doesn't have a better DVR that that. I've used Uverse a little, and their DVR is terrible. But this is actually much worse.
post #7098 of 7337 Old 11-14-2015, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 166
That is a really old, crappy box.

You could go down and swap it for a better one, but it is still going to be crap compared to your Ceton setup most likely.
post #7099 of 7337 Old 11-15-2015, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks xnappo. I guess they carry the old boxes around for emergencies.

I repaired my Ceton card with some epoxy. Now need them to come back out and fix the original problem.
post #7100 of 7337 Old 11-16-2015, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Austin getting Grit and Laff soon
Grit on KNVA
Laffon KBVO

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/90055/katz-signs-tribune-media-gen-for-diginets
Cabal0 likes this.
post #7101 of 7337 Old 11-19-2015, 09:17 PM
Advanced Member

Friend at KXAN says they've now decided both be on KNVA. Perhaps they've decided to stop raiding KXAN for bits for little channels!

post #7102 of 7337 Old 11-20-2015, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

In theory Grit and Laff are supposed to be up and running by the first of the year. But as of this afternoon, none of the equipment is in house and they're in the middle of a newsroom remodel, so that date may slip.

post #7103 of 7337 Old 11-20-2015, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

To wrap up my recent saga with TWC, it seems that using cablecards in Tivo/Ceton/HDHR hardware requires much tighter signal levels than when using a "cable box". Ie, their crappy DVR.

Took two techs 3.5 hours, working with their cablecard support desk, to get the levels right. They ended up putting in an amplifier (outside), and the AC power for that (inside), and then had to add a splitter to drop the TV signal level.

Cable hates that FCC makes them offer cablecards. This is probably an example of why. The good news is TWC cablecard support is (usually) very good.
post #7104 of 7337 Old 11-30-2015, 07:24 AM

Anyone getting fairly awful drop-outs and pixelation on KLRU and sub-channels in the past week or two? I see this a lot during my This Old House recordings at various hours. My tuners show 100% for both signal and SNR, but I'm getting a lot of bad data along the following lines:

Code:
2015-11-30 09:18:39.593 TS: Pf/521.028MHz/KLRU-HD Transport error indicator (total 23)
2015-11-30 09:18:39.593 TS: Pf/521.028MHz/KLRU-HD: MPEG2VIDEO @ #49 Continuity counter error (total 3)
2015-11-30 09:18:39.611 TS: Pf/521.028MHz/KLRU-HD: AC3 @ #52 Continuity counter error (total 4)
2015-11-30 09:18:42.208 TS: Pf/521.028MHz/KLRU-HD: AC3 @ #53 Continuity counter error (total 3)
2015-11-30 09:18:42.208 TS: Pf/521.028MHz/KLRU-HD: AC3 @ #54 Continuity counter error (total 3)
I've cycled all my hardware and software, and it's only KLRU that does this. It's not 2 AM stuff either, I see it at 9 and 10 AM, clouds or shine.
post #7105 of 7337 Old 11-30-2015, 07:32 AM

So, uhhh, apparently this is a known issue: http://www.klru.org/about/technical-difficulties/
post #7106 of 7337 Old 12-01-2015, 06:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabal0 View Post
So, uhhh, apparently this is a known issue: http://www.klru.org/about/technical-difficulties/
Yes, I had noticed it, I thought it was just my signal being too strong because of the weather. I've just been watching channel 46 out of Waco for PBS programming.

My Little Theater
post #7107 of 7337 Old 12-07-2015, 12:13 PM

It looks like the situation should be resolved now.

Quote:
TECHNICAL ADVISORY: From 11pm on Friday, December 4 until 3am on Saturday, December 5, KLRU will be performing transmitter maintenance. This will cause disruption of our over-the-air signal, as well as any cable systems that rebroadcast that signal (such as Suddenlink, DirecTV, and Dish). There should only be a few disruptions, each lasting roughly 10 minutes. We expect to resume normal operations by 3am on Saturday, December 5.
post #7108 of 7337 Old 01-06-2016, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
In theory Grit and Laff are supposed to be up and running by the first of the year. But as of this afternoon, none of the equipment is in house and they're in the middle of a newsroom remodel, so that date may slip.
I heard the new date is 1/29/2016 for 54-2 and 54-3. Sometime this month for 7-4 METV
post #7109 of 7337 Old 01-06-2016, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

It would be nice if they came up that quickly. They're up to their ears in alligators there!

post #7110 of 7337 Old 01-11-2016, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastman59 View Post
I heard the new date is 1/29/2016 for 54-2 and 54-3. Sometime this month for 7-4 METV
The number of new sub-channels in the Austin market has really exploded in the past couple years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page