Forum Jump: 
 132Likes

post #7321 of 7351 Old 06-03-2019, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1783 Post(s)
Liked: 784
According to TVAnswers.org, it's June 21.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7322 of 7351 Old 06-07-2019, 12:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 30
FWIW, during the second half of yesterday's Nations League match between The Netherlands and England, UniMas (62.2) went dark at about the time storms were rolling through Austin; it stayed dark for awhile before any signal came back, unfortunately with the Univision feed and not the match, an outcome which lasted through the end of my DVR recording. Today everything is back in order on all the 62.x channels.
post #7323 of 7351 Old 06-19-2019, 06:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 9
It looks like KEYE is now broadcasting on RF 34, and KNVA is broadcasting on RF 23. They were suppose to move on Friday.
I guess on Friday they will stop broadcasting on their pre-pack RF channels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7324 of 7351 Old 06-21-2019, 10:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
KEYE and KNVA are dead here. I have re-scanned several times and my DTVPal isn't finding them.
post #7325 of 7351 Old 06-22-2019, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by golinux View Post
KEYE and KNVA are dead here. I have re-scanned several times and my DTVPal isn't finding them.
I am receiving both networks just fine as of 2:45 PM
post #7326 of 7351 Old 06-23-2019, 03:51 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1783 Post(s)
Liked: 784
Can anyone confirm whether KXLK-CD is off the air or is operating on channel 14? Has KTFO-CD returned to the air on 36?

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #7327 of 7351 Old 06-23-2019, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 301
KEYE ended their RF43 at 10am Friday. The new freqs of 34 & 23 were active when I rescanned later that day.
post #7328 of 7351 Old 06-24-2019, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My channel list had accrued a lot of crud, so I took the opportunity to clean out all my channels and start from the ground (muxes) up. No problems with KEYE or KNVA, but did a bunch of the lower power channels go off the air with the repack?

And is KBVO signal quality suddenly terrible? It was quite usable in Pflugerville up until recently.

Edit: It looks like my issue was KBVO was short-lived. It went from 100% signal and 45% SNR to 90-100% SNR on each of the few days following. Oh well.

Last edited by Cabal0; 06-26-2019 at 09:06 PM.
post #7329 of 7351 Old 07-01-2019, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabal0 View Post
My channel list had accrued a lot of crud, so I took the opportunity to clean out all my channels and start from the ground (muxes) up. No problems with KEYE or KNVA, but did a bunch of the lower power channels go off the air with the repack?

And is KBVO signal quality suddenly terrible? It was quite usable in Pflugerville up until recently.

Edit: It looks like my issue was KBVO was short-lived. It went from 100% signal and 45% SNR to 90-100% SNR on each of the few days following. Oh well.

It's entirely possible that your previous scan was done months earlier when the atmospherics were more conducive (clear air, low humidity) to extended reception than is the case now -- I've lost access to a number of low-power channels (notably the 19.x group) I had acquired in last winter's scan, but with the recent rescan required post-repack I can't get them any longer. They tended to be intermittent anyway because of the NE fringe-area location where I live (Circleville), and I've noticed the same winter/summer dropout pattern with other low-power stations.
post #7330 of 7351 Old 07-06-2019, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I've been having random signal issues with KAKW/KTFO (Univision) for days, mostly at night, but I can usually pick it back up...sort of...after a rescan or two. From last night onward I've been unable to pick it up at all on multiple rescans with both my TVs and related antennae...and at least on one TV KBVO actually got picked up on the 31.x channel group instead of KAKW. It could well be a combination of lousy atmospherics and crappy antennae (and I'm really hoping the Clearstream Eclipse I ordered last night helps with general reception on my primary TV), but to make sure: has anybody else noticed any issues with either KAKW or KBVO today?

EDIT: six days and a literal dozen channel scans later, still nada from Univision...until my Clearstream Eclipse arrived. Three channel scans with that hooked up and moved around and I finally got Uni again, but the TV (a crappy no-name 4K set) registers it as low signal...which actually isn't that weird for me prior to this. Hilariously, now I'm also getting the 19.x (KGBS) block where I almost never got that before--and that block of signals is stronger than Uni's.

I think in the end I'm going to have to just bite the bullet and get a Clearstream 2MAX or something, stick it in a corner, and move the Eclipse to the bedroom.

...and I need your sweet love, Latina T-Mobile girl Toyota lady!

Last edited by Bill C.; 07-12-2019 at 04:56 PM.
post #7331 of 7351 Old 09-14-2019, 05:33 PM

It looks like KAKW is has now added the DABL subchannel as 31.5.
post #7332 of 7351 Old 09-14-2019, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
The launch was just September 9. Interesting that KAKW should pick up something owned by CBS.

To the world, you are just a person. To a rescue dog, you are the world!
http://www.austinpetsalive.org/ - local in Austin
http://adopt-a-small-dog.adoptapet.com/ - national
post #7333 of 7351 Old 09-15-2019, 05:25 PM

It looks like KTBC will soon (Q3) have another subchannel 7.5 for the Decades network according to this article:
https://deadline.com/2019/07/fox-tel...rk-1202644017/
post #7334 of 7351 Old 09-15-2019, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Sounds interesting...I wonder if Spectrum will pick it up?

post #7335 of 7351 Old 09-16-2019, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsho View Post
The launch was just September 9. Interesting that KAKW should pick up something owned by CBS.
The network affiliation of the affiliate doesn't matter to the content provider, and the network affiliation of the content provider doesn't matter to the affiliate; revenue is revenue.

Often, station ownership groups sign contracts with the providers to put the content on some or all of their stations. Meredith has an agreement with CBS to provide DABL to some their stations, meaning DABL is scheduled to go on KPHO in Phoenix and KVVU in Las Vegas. KPHO is a CBS affiliate, but KVVU is a Fox affiliate.

Meanwhile, Quincy Media is putting DABL on their Tucson station, KVOA, which is an NBC affiliate.

Perhaps what stands out is that one O&O station group is providing the services of another network on their stations, and Univision is not only providing DABL to their Austin station, but also to their Albuquerque station. I wouldn't say that CBS and Univision are directly in competition with each other, though, and regardless of whether the subchannel is from Katz (Grit/Escape) or CBS (DABL), again, revenue is revenue.
post #7336 of 7351 Old 09-16-2019, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

That's where I was going as well. Both Univision and CBS are indeed content providers. When I was in the businesss (the 70s through 90s) this kind of arrangement would have been almost unthinkable.

But then again, maybe you have to look a CBS. It is now so fragmented that perhaps the production arm is so separate from the broadcast group that it no longer matters. And then again, like you say, revenue is indeed....revenue!

post #7337 of 7351 Old 09-17-2019, 02:53 AM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsho View Post
That's where I was going as well. Both Univision and CBS are indeed content providers. When I was in the businesss (the 70s through 90s) this kind of arrangement would have been almost unthinkable.

Possibly an all-around shift in the attitude of the business. If a guest went on The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson who had a show on a network beside NBC, Johnny would introduce them as a having "a show on another network", never specifying what network that was. If the same guest went on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno 20 years later, Leno would specify which network the guest's show aired on.
post #7338 of 7351 Old 10-16-2019, 05:06 PM

Subchannel 7.5 is now broadcasting the Decades network.
Cabal0 likes this.
post #7339 of 7351 Old 10-16-2019, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

Years ago, Rupert Murdoch announced that he intended to use his allocated digital frequencies not to broadcast high definition TV, but to multicast numerous standard definition TV signals. That plan was scuttled when the FCC and Congress made noises about limiting the frequencies that Fox would be awarded. It looks like his successors at Fox are doing exactly that....one slice of the 6MHz pie...at a time.

Here in Austin MeTV doesn't look terrible...but the rest of KTBC's sub channels are just awful. And 7.1 is no shining example of ATSC either.
jhvance likes this.

post #7340 of 7351 Old 11-20-2019, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've decided to cut the cord and turn to OTA reception. I already use Windows Media Center, and I've recently purchased a SiliconDust Quatro. Now I need an antenna, but I'm not sure what would work best. I understand that I'll need VHF. My house has radiant barrier on the underside of the roof, so I think a roof mount antenna will be needed.

I live in Cedar Park. Here is the tvfool report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9038c461d4888e

Is it worth trying to pull in the stations to the north between Temple and Waco?

I didn't think a Yagi style antenna was needed, so I've been considering the following:
- Antenna Direct DB8E with the VHF add-on. Does it help to point one bowtie pair north to get Waco/Temple stations. They looked to be mostly VHF. It didn't think "pointing" a VHF antenna would really help much here.
- ClearStream 4V with VHF.
- Winegard Elite 755V
- Antop "big boy" - I'm not sure of the difference between the AT-401BV and AT-800SBSJ

Does anyone have opinions on what works best in this area? Thanks.
post #7341 of 7351 Old 11-21-2019, 11:14 AM
rad
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Sorry, can't help, but you might want to ask https://www.solidsignal.com/p/ota.as...tor-help&mc=03
post #7342 of 7351 Old 11-25-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbq_bob View Post
I've decided to cut the cord and turn to OTA reception. I already use Windows Media Center, and I've recently purchased a SiliconDust Quatro. Now I need an antenna, but I'm not sure what would work best. I understand that I'll need VHF. My house has radiant barrier on the underside of the roof, so I think a roof mount antenna will be needed.

I live in Cedar Park. Here is the tvfool report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9038c461d4888e

Is it worth trying to pull in the stations to the north between Temple and Waco?

I didn't think a Yagi style antenna was needed, so I've been considering the following:
- Antenna Direct DB8E with the VHF add-on. Does it help to point one bowtie pair north to get Waco/Temple stations. They looked to be mostly VHF. It didn't think "pointing" a VHF antenna would really help much here.
- ClearStream 4V with VHF.
- Winegard Elite 755V
- Antop "big boy" - I'm not sure of the difference between the AT-401BV and AT-800SBSJ

Does anyone have opinions on what works best in this area? Thanks.
Welcome to the world of OTA! I'm in Circleville (between Taylor and Granger), and have found over the past 25 years of reception that most stations in the Waco-Temple-Killeen market are worth getting and reception is good, even though my directional antenna is oriented toward the Austin market's dominant azimuth (so not quite on the same axis). There is a lot of network overlap, of course, but there are also some different sub-channels available which can be of potential interest. The azimuth which that tvfool plot indicates would be strongest for your location toward the Austin market is right about 180 degrees from the dominant group of stations to the north, so the axial alignment will improve reception for them even if a directional antenna is pointed south -- the outlier is KAKW to the NW, but it's a strong signal for all of its subchannels and you should still get strong reception for them despite the right-angle alignment.

If you're really concerned about a rooftop mount and you aren't already a handyman for roof work (or don't like height exposure), the effort alone might deter you -- talk with someone at Best Buy's Geek Squad who is experienced with such installations first, as it will (probably) be a free chat and you'll learn more about the choices which need to be made. IMHO, a rooftop- or mast-mounted antenna can be placed higher and so will intrinsically improve reception in comparison with an attic-mounted version of the same model or anything less capable. Should you decide to go with a mast attached to an exterior wall or the roof's edge, depending upon height an omni-directional power-boosted option might be effectively as good as a directional antenna mounted in a rotor controllable from inside.

P.S. Having the array of excellent weather reporting from all of those northern stations, particularly KXXV out of Killeen/Waco, is exceedingly handy to add to the Austin coverage during episodes of severe nastiness at Mother Nature's doing.

Last edited by jhvance; 11-25-2019 at 09:30 AM. Reason: postscript thought
post #7343 of 7351 Old 12-14-2019, 11:31 AM

Has anyone else in the region been experiencing a lot of signal problems from KEYE over the past week? I don't know if it's an equipment issue or atmospherics (or both) or something else entirely, but there have been times in the evenings when neither of the 42.x channels were viable at my location east of Circleville in NE Williamson County -- Friday was especially poor, with a lot of dropout and pixellation between freezes.

I've rescanned several times this past week and noted a decrease in the number of stations which my TV has registered since the last time that was accomplished a few months back, so have presumed the atmospherics have not been amenable.
post #7344 of 7351 Old 12-16-2019, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhvance View Post
Has anyone else in the region been experiencing a lot of signal problems from KEYE over the past week? I don't know if it's an equipment issue or atmospherics (or both) or something else entirely, but there have been times in the evenings when neither of the 42.x channels were viable at my location east of Circleville in NE Williamson County -- Friday was especially poor, with a lot of dropout and pixellation between freezes.

I've rescanned several times this past week and noted a decrease in the number of stations which my TV has registered since the last time that was accomplished a few months back, so have presumed the atmospherics have not been amenable.

I haven't noticed any problems. Maybe a fleeting pixelation at most. I'm downtown and I believe I can see the relevant towers from here. On some of the weaker channels, I've noticed pixelation when a plane flies overhead. Maybe something has started causing interference for you?
post #7345 of 7351 Old 12-18-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exevans View Post
I haven't noticed any problems. Maybe a fleeting pixelation at most. I'm downtown and I believe I can see the relevant towers from here. On some of the weaker channels, I've noticed pixelation when a plane flies overhead. Maybe something has started causing interference for you?
I think it's primarily been atmospherics, as there have been relatively short periods for both 42.x channels and others from within both the Austin and Waco-Temple-Killeen markets over the past week when signal strength has been highly variable. If you're located in Central Austin, you probably wouldn't notice, whereas I'm pulling them in from way out in the boondocks (aka, "fringe").
post #7346 of 7351 Old 01-20-2020, 09:13 AM

If you can receive the 17.x set of OTA channels out of Garfield and happen to be a fan of soccer, 17.6 has become dedicated to beIN Extra which broadcasts live matches from various leagues and confederations, replays classic matches from La Liga (Spain), and covers other non-usual sporting events (like the Volvo around-the-world sailing race).

It's not a superstrong signal and in Circleville it doesn't come in during periods of high humidity or other atmospheric weirdness, but in clear air with low humidity I'll be able to get a decent signal strength with steady reception that produces high quality imagery and sound. Worth rescanning when the conditions are right to see if you can pull it in.
post #7347 of 7351 Old 01-20-2020, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
If you can receive the 17.x set of OTA channels out of Garfield and happen to be a fan of soccer, 17.6 has become dedicated to beIN Extra which broadcasts live matches from various leagues and confederations, replays classic matches from La Liga (Spain), and covers other non-usual sporting events (like the Volvo around-the-world sailing race).

It's not a superstrong signal and in Circleville it doesn't come in during periods of high humidity or other atmospheric weirdness, but in clear air with low humidity I'll be able to get a decent signal strength with steady reception that produces high quality imagery and sound. Worth rescanning when the conditions are right to see if you can pull it in.

I noticed that channel, too. Too bad all others are more or less infomercials. I've seen some BMX type shows, too. I can get it around Round Rock/Hutto/Pflugerville borders with an attic antenna without issues.
allargon likes this.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #7348 of 7351 Old 01-27-2020, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivartk View Post
I noticed that channel, too. Too bad all others are more or less infomercials. I've seen some BMX type shows, too. I can get it around Round Rock/Hutto/Pflugerville borders with an attic antenna without issues.
The programming schedule over the most current 3-day period (must adjust from EST for other time zones) on the channel can be found at this weblink:

https://beinsportsxtra.com/#epg
Cabal0 likes this.
post #7349 of 7351 Old 03-25-2020, 05:45 PM

Quote:
The programming schedule over the most current 3-day period (must adjust from EST for other time zones) on the channel can be found at this weblink:

https://beinsportsxtra.com/#epg
It looks like there are now a couple more sub channels broadcasting in the last couple of months:
KBVO's 14.4 is Antenna TV the same as 20.1
KVUE's 20.4 is Circle TV.
Cabal0 likes this.
post #7350 of 7351 Old 03-26-2020, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenj View Post
It looks like there are now a couple more sub channels broadcasting in the last couple of months:
KBVO's 14.4 is Antenna TV the same as 20.1
KVUE's 20.4 is Circle TV.
Think you mean KVUE's 24.5...
Cabal0 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page