Roanoke, VA / Bluefield, WV - HDTV - Page 216 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 14Likes

post #6451 of 6462 Old 02-26-2020, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1843 Post(s)
Liked: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prototype3a View Post
I'd love to see an option for the signal analysis that runs your specified location for a range of antenna heights and then maybe uses that data to generate a graph of channel signal strength vs height.

And if not that, maybe just an easy link to run other heights. It would also be helpful to show the antenna height in terms of MSL to make comparing different locations (different houses) a little bit easier.
Both are much easier said than done, I'm afraid. It's very processor-intensive just to run what I do now, so the former is just prohibitive right now. The latter is basically rerunning the study from scratch, and I don't want to make that too easy or it'll bog down the server.

HAMSL might be doable though. You're the first person to ask for that. I'll keep it in mind.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6452 of 6462 Old 02-27-2020, 09:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I absolutely hate WBRA. I'm fairly certain that they're intentionally not airing A Chef's Life S04E06.

https://www.thetvdb.com/series/a-che...isodes/5748095
post #6453 of 6462 Old 02-28-2020, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhdtv View Post
Why is WDBJ worried about sub-channels when they still can't get their full-power CBS signal straight? Talk about rearranging the deck chairs. OTA viewers should be their most important concern, because we have fewer choices, making it more likely that we would choose to watch their programming AND COMMERCIALS. Do their advertisers know that there is a significant number of homes that cannot see the commercials they are paying for? WDBJ used to be the standard in this market, but current ownership has not maintained the level of excellence this station had built over the years.
Antennas have what is known as Beam Tilt. Without it, the broadcast signal can past over many viewers homes near the antenna. When that antenna is on a 3000 foot mountain near the city of license in a valley, this can be a significant problem. I am not an expert, but WDBJ may be dealing with beam tilt issues here. Getting beam tilt right is not always straight forward and the antenna designers may have gotten this wrong on WDBJ's new antenna. They (WDBJ Engineers) are likely monitoring this form and will take your comments into account as they work to perfect their signal.
Dan Ullmer
Blue Ridge PBS Chief Engineer
Society of Broadcast Engineers Chairman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6454 of 6462 Old 02-28-2020, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
I absolutely hate WBRA. I'm fairly certain that they're intentionally not airing A Chef's Life S04E06.

https://www.thetvdb.com/series/a-che...isodes/5748095
Chef’s Life airs Saturdays, 3:30 pm on Blue Ridge PBS channel 15.1.
post #6455 of 6462 Old 02-28-2020, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulltronu View Post
Chef’s Life airs Saturdays, 3:30 pm on Blue Ridge PBS channel 15.1.
If you work at WBRA, I'd like you to know that I'm going to do whatever it takes to receive WSWP.

I did some research and noticed that all the other stations here in VA and WSWP in WV all essentially follow the same schedule which I VASTLY prefer over WBRA's schedule.
post #6456 of 6462 Old 03-20-2020, 08:02 PM

Got outside in the front yard tonight with the massive vhf-hi yagi and we managed to get WSWP ! I'm also getting most of the Roanoke stations off the backside of the antenna. I can't wait to get it mounted up on the roof and connected up.
post #6457 of 6462 Old 03-23-2020, 05:38 PM

Got the big antenna temporarily mounted up on the roof and I'm not getting WSWP with the HDHR. I'm fairly certain that the HDHR doesn't have the tuner sensitivity of our main TV but I'm still surprised that I'm not getting the signal.

I think I may try fiddling with the aiming since my current aiming should be more accurate than the other night in the yard but maybe I have to aim it "wrong" to get ch9.

I am getting ch40 though which has Laff so I'm happy about that. They also seem to air different episodes at different times than WSLS's MeTV.

Last edited by Prototype3a; 03-23-2020 at 05:55 PM.
post #6458 of 6462 Old 04-24-2020, 02:00 PM

Happi-dance! I've got WSWP on the HDHR with 100% symbol quality!

The trick was to hang the antenna off the side of the house to use the house as a shield for all the "noise" coming out of Roanoke. The Antennas Direct UHF/VHF combiner is also helping to further increase the SNR.
post #6459 of 6462 Old 04-24-2020, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Happi-dance! I've got WSWP on the HDHR with 100% symbol quality!

The trick was to hang the antenna off the side of the house to use the house as a shield for all the "noise" coming out of Roanoke. The Antennas Direct UHF/VHF combiner is also helping to further increase the SNR.
How high up is the antenna? How many stations are you getting from that direction?
post #6460 of 6462 Old 04-24-2020, 02:38 PM

My testing suggested that height didn't really improve anything. I could get the same signal holding the antenna on the ground. Earlier this week, I had the massive antenna on a ~5ft pole and a ~120ft piece of coax connected to a tv so I could walk around the yard and the roof to try and figure out what was going on. I'd guess it is maybe 15ft up in the air right now. It's secured to the house but I basically just used stuff I had laying around so I could test this unconventional location. I have some pieces and parts coming so I can put together a more permanent mount.

The stations in that direction are WSWP, WVNS, WZTS and WOAY. I wouldn't mind getting WVNS in addition to WSWP but WSWP is all I *really* wanted. I'm using the Antennas Direct UHF/VHF combiner to add in a 42XG UHF Yagi pointed at WVVA, WLFB and WJDG. Of those, I can't seem to get WJDG.
post #6461 of 6462 Old 05-20-2020, 05:07 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Are the engineers for WFXR on this forum? I'd really like to find out why they haven't fixed the thin strip at the bottom of almost all their programming that is several shades lighter than the rest of the picture. It creates a distracting line going across the bottom and its been that way for months and is on almost all their programming. I think the only time I don't see it on some of their live in studio news shots. Their picture also looks a little too dark to me so I actually wonder if the lightened strip at the bottom isn't the correct shade and everything else is wrong.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #6462 of 6462 Old 05-20-2020, 06:19 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 118
My hunch was right the lighter color strip is actually the right brightness level and everything else above it is too dark. I confirmed that by freezing a mostly dark frame of the Masked Singer from their OTA feed and the same frame from the Fox App replay of the same episode. If you look at the bottom left of the screenshots of the audiance there is almost no detail at all on the OTA feed but the replay from the fox app shows a lot more detail of the crowd in that dark area. It's right, OTA is too dark.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page