Grand Rapids, MI - HDTV - Page 270 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #8071 of 8239 Old 08-06-2015, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channel 2012 View Post
They're better than ever and about as good as it gets as far as cable companies go. Internet access has been upgraded for most neighborhoods from 20Mbps to 60Mbps and they're even giving out DOCSIS 3 compliant cablemodems now free of rent as long as you stay with them. TV service is okay, but there's no more unencrypted analog or digital channels, so everyone is forced to rent a cable box. Stability in general has been excellent as well with no noteworthy outages.

If you've already got an antenna that picks up most of the networks you want, I'd skip the television service and just go with Charter's internet and telephone. For any TV you do want to watch, the Genesis addon for XBMC on your home theater computer fully makes up for that with availability and selection superior to Netflix streaming or Hulu.
Yep, been doing OTA antenna for 5 years with streaming services with a Win 7 Media Center PC. Love it. But my antenna is about dead so needs to be replaced and that will be pretty costly so looking at other options. I can get both Internet and TV from Charter for the same price I'm paying AT&T Uverse for just Internet so that seems like a no brainer assuming Charter service is good. And sounds like it is as you confirm some other things I've heard.

Thanks for the info!

Also looks like Charter does support cable cards so getting a Tivo at some point sounds like it's an option. Would cost no more then Charter's HD DVR rental fees.

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8072 of 8239 Old 08-06-2015, 08:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonscott87 View Post
Wow, been months since we've had a post here. That's either good or bad. LOL

My question is for Charter users out there, specifically in the Kzoo/Portage area.
How is Charter these days? Internet solid? TV service not go out every time it drizzles? My experience with them is from 15 years ago and they were terrible. I've heard they are much better now but wanted to see what people think.

I cut the cord 5 years ago and have an OTA rooftop antenna. Between recent storms and rust (over 30 years old) it's about done with and replacing it with installation isn't cheap so I've been shopping around. I have Uverse for Internet now and adding TV there is an option but they *still* don't have have The CW so that's a non-starter plus they aren't cheap. Charter though has a deal for $60 that includes both Internet (at triple the Uverse speed) and TV for $5 cheaper then Uverse for Internet alone. No contracts. So when it goes up in a couple years I either get a deal or cut 'em and play Charter and AT&T against each other, or cut the cord again.

So Charter seems like a pretty decent deal, just looking to see what people's experience with them lately is.
The way I see it is: The last antenna setup lasted 30 years. A new setup is a 1 time cost. Grant it, it's up front. But if you are happy with the programming you have now, it's a 1 time cost that will pay for itself in the long run. Just my 2 cents (I miss that key).
post #8073 of 8239 Old 08-07-2015, 04:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic26 View Post
The way I see it is: The last antenna setup lasted 30 years. A new setup is a 1 time cost. Grant it, it's up front. But if you are happy with the programming you have now, it's a 1 time cost that will pay for itself in the long run. Just my 2 cents (I miss that key).
Very true. I think my plan is to get the good deal for now, then if the rate jacks up and I can't keep a good deal I'll save up money in the meantime to get a new antenna setup. And I got my Internet switched to Charter which I would keep since it sounds like it's really good now (plus 3 times faster and $10 cheaper regular price to Uverse).

We'll see how it goes. Install scheduled for next Saturday. After 5 years of no cable I almost feel dirty getting it again. LOL But...no extra cost to me there really is no reason not to get it for now, until the cost jacks up.

Thanks guys for the info, just what I wanted.

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8074 of 8239 Old 08-07-2015, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Charter changed their policy recently. Now, once your promotion is up, you pay full price. No more negotiating a cheaper price for existing customers.
post #8075 of 8239 Old 08-12-2015, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I currently have an indoor antenna and can pick up FOX, ABC and NBC with my current indoor antenna. However, I was wondering if it is at all possible to get CBS with an indoor antenna. I am living in an apartment so an outdoor antenna is not an option. I was wondering if this antenna would pick up CBS? I currently live between Michigan and Lyon and Lafayette and College if that helps at all. I was wondering if switching to this type of antenna would work?

Amplified HDTV Antenna - 50 Miles Range, 1byone®

Or if there is an indoor antenna that would work please let me know. Thanks so much for your help.
post #8076 of 8239 Old 08-12-2015, 09:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2grandrapids View Post
I currently have an indoor antenna and can pick up FOX, ABC and NBC with my current indoor antenna. However, I was wondering if it is at all possible to get CBS with an indoor antenna. I am living in an apartment so an outdoor antenna is not an option. I was wondering if this antenna would pick up CBS? I currently live between Michigan and Lyon and Lafayette and College if that helps at all. I was wondering if switching to this type of antenna would work?

Or if there is an indoor antenna that would work please let me know. Thanks so much for your help.
All I can suggest is maybe take a look at http://antennaweb.org/address.aspx and see what it tells.
post #8077 of 8239 Old 08-12-2015, 10:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

P.S. I took a guesstimate of where you live and found this http://antennaweb.org/Stations.aspx?...Lon=-85.659002

Looks like it recommends a medium directional.
post #8078 of 8239 Old 08-13-2015, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakzie View Post
P.S. I took a guesstimate of where you live and found this
Looks like it recommends a medium directional.
Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.
post #8079 of 8239 Old 08-14-2015, 05:10 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have a Mohu MH-110533 Sky antennae that is currently mounted in my garage attic. I want to move it to my roof (probably will mount it on my chimney) to see if I get better reception. Can I run the cable through the roof of my garage? If so, how do I seal it afterwards? Would moving it from the garage attic to the roof/chimney make any difference?

Here is the link to my TVFool info: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...8e0351f50394cf
post #8080 of 8239 Old 08-19-2015, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2grandrapids View Post

I input TVFool using an address on Google Maps in the center of your coordinates with the apt facing North and an antenna only 6 feet off of the ground, figuring this should be the worst possible scenerio. The North facing assumes the TV is at the front of the apt. What I came up with was this. http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...8e03917d180f9a . You should be able to get channel 3 with a decent indoor antenna. Go over to Rylee's Ace Hardware just East of the Michigan / Fuller intersection. One of the folks in there may be able to help you.
post #8081 of 8239 Old 09-12-2015, 02:38 PM

NW Grand Rapids, Royal 17 in attic

Hoping for some suggestions from others on how to appropriately tune my antenna setup. I can't seem to get appropriate signal for WXMI without losing WWMT, WOOD, and/or WZZM.

I have the middle antenna from the Royal 17 mounted above my garage (in attic) at ~156 degrees. The garage faces south.

I've tried:
  • Adding the lower portion and pointing at ~ 156 degrees. Fox comes in great, but WWMT, WOOD and WZZM have trouble.
  • Pointing the lower antenna north. WXMI is weak/choppy. Others are fine.
  • Removing the lower antenna. WXMI is weak/choppy. Others are fine.

Any ideas? Im not using a pre-amp..it's probably a 100 ft run with only one coupler. I don't think it's necessary given the high VHF stations.
post #8082 of 8239 Old 09-13-2015, 04:05 PM

Liked: 10
Which Royal 17?

Is your Royal 17 an original or a Royal 17 Digital? When Digital TV came in several stations changed frequency. Make sure the elements are pointing the correct direction. On my Digital Royal 17, the top element points toward Allendale for WGVU, The middle elements points NNW for WZZM and the bottom element . The three elements have to be corrected correctly with the leads included. The leads are made to combine the elements without interference. I hope this helps.
post #8083 of 8239 Old 09-13-2015, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB33 View Post
Is your Royal 17 an original or a Royal 17 Digital? When Digital TV came in several stations changed frequency. Make sure the elements are pointing the correct direction. On my Digital Royal 17, the top element points toward Allendale for WGVU, The middle elements points NNW for WZZM and the bottom element . The three elements have to be corrected correctly with the leads included. The leads are made to combine the elements without interference. I hope this helps.
Thanks for responding. I'm pretty sure it's an older one (not digital); it was purchased probably about 5 years ago; right around the digital transition. I'm putting it together from memory and may have it slightly wrong (but no longer have the instructions). WGVU is only 9 miles from me since I'm on the west side and comes in regardless of what I do. I think it has something to do with the high-VHF (WOOD, WWMT, WZZM) and low UHF (WXMI) interfering or being "filtered" on this particular antenna. This was mentioned in a previous post in this thread - just can't quite figure out how to adapt it to my particular setup.
post #8084 of 8239 Old 09-13-2015, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvanderhaar View Post
Thanks for responding. I'm pretty sure it's an older one (not digital); it was purchased probably about 5 years ago; right around the digital transition. I'm putting it together from memory and may have it slightly wrong (but no longer have the instructions). WGVU is only 9 miles from me since I'm on the west side and comes in regardless of what I do. I think it has something to do with the high-VHF (WOOD, WWMT, WZZM) and low UHF (WXMI) interfering or being "filtered" on this particular antenna. This was mentioned in a previous post in this thread - just can't quite figure out how to adapt it to my particular setup.
OK - I took some more time today and hooked up only the middle section and reversed it. I'm thinking it was backwards; I can now properly tune WOOD, WWMT, WXMI, and WOTV. As long as I can get ABC in HD on WOTV (it appears so after a brief test) - I'm happy.
post #8085 of 8239 Old 09-13-2015, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvanderhaar View Post
OK - I took some more time today and hooked up only the middle section and reversed it. I'm thinking it was backwards; I can now properly tune WOOD, WWMT, WXMI, and WOTV. As long as I can get ABC in HD on WOTV (it appears so after a brief test) - I'm happy.
The antenna that points south ish toward WOOD, WWMT, WXMI and WOTV, should have the narrow end towards the south. The WZZM element is the one which all the spokes are about the same size. If it is an old Royal 17, the WGVU is a narrow one. It might help with channel 54. If it is a new Royal 17, it will be slightly smaller than the WZZM element in width.
The element for south should be a V and the others should be straight.
I hope this helps.
post #8086 of 8239 Old 09-26-2015, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB33 View Post
The antenna that points south ish toward WOOD, WWMT, WXMI and WOTV, should have the narrow end towards the south. The WZZM element is the one which all the spokes are about the same size. If it is an old Royal 17, the WGVU is a narrow one. It might help with channel 54. If it is a new Royal 17, it will be slightly smaller than the WZZM element in width.
The element for south should be a V and the others should be straight.
I hope this helps.
Yes - thank you! I played around with a few other configurations today; WOTV was not coming in very well - it was unwatchable, with "no signal" messages on the TV most of the time.

I ended up pointing the typical top element/traditional yagi with all spokes the same size towards WZZM (North) as suggested - with success! WOTV also seems to be working (again) after my adjustment, not sure why. Sitting here I can tune WWMT, WOOD, WXMI, WZZM, and WOTV. I don't have the traditional bottom/smaller element connected; I can tune WGVU and WTLJ without it.

Thanks again!
post #8087 of 8239 Old 10-31-2015, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Comet TV

New Sci-Fi channel on channel 3.3 called Comet TV. Just started today.
Enjoy
post #8088 of 8239 Old 11-01-2015, 06:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy63 View Post
Enjoy
Very cool thanks
post #8089 of 8239 Old 11-03-2015, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Enjoy
I saw that. Now I wish they would all get on the same page for aspect. I'm talking about sub-channels. If I leave the TV in 4:3, CW, Comet, Justice, and Cozi are "squished" all others are fine. If I leave it 16:9, the 4 mentioned are fine and all the others are stretched. Makes channel surfing a pain.
post #8090 of 8239 Old 11-04-2015, 05:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Enjoy
Great, just what we need, the main CBS HD channel compressed even more.

Scott
post #8091 of 8239 Old 11-04-2015, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Figure I'd post a quick Charter update.

Internet - Wow, amazing. 4 times the speed then Uverse at cheaper cost (even regular priced). It's very solid, I get 66 mb vs the 60 advertised and they are working to upgrade to 100 mb. Latency is fine as is ping. Very happy to say the least. World different from the crappy Internet they had a decade ago which pushed me to Uverse in the first place.

Cable TV - After not having cable TV for 5 years it's a bit weird. Red Zone Channel again has been awesome. Don't watch all that much on the "cable" channels but for a whole $5 more then I was paying Uverse for just Internet I'll take it. When the prices go up I'll either get a deal or get rid of the TV until they give me one.

DVR - This this is horrible. Welcome to 1999 and even the first gen Tivo at that time was better. It does it's job, I'll give it that. But the UI is really bad. I get some skips on the locals but not on cable channels so mostly just bad feeds from the locals to the Charter head end would be my guess.

Most likely I'll get a Tivo sometime next year when the bugs with the newer model are all worked out and I can get a cable card for it. And if I drop the TV I can still use an antenna with it. Plus it has all the streaming stuff built in as well.

Phone - I don't use Charter's phone service. I got Ooma and it's great. Gotta love $4 a month for unlimited calling. Plug it into your Internet (like Vonage or Magic Jack) and that's all you need to do. Highly recommend it.

Scott
post #8092 of 8239 Old 11-04-2015, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Have you thought about getting a SilconDust Prime with Charter? Did that with the Comcast after years of no cable for the same reason. Faster internet for about the same cost as ATT. Works really well still with Windows 7 Media center.

Another question for you guys out there. Currently moving to a new home. Going to have to switch to charter. Was hoping to get a Royal 17 Digital for the new house, but can't find one anywhere. Any suggestions?
post #8093 of 8239 Old 11-05-2015, 04:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxed View Post
Have you thought about getting a SilconDust Prime with Charter? Did that with the Comcast after years of no cable for the same reason. Faster internet for about the same cost as ATT. Works really well still with Windows 7 Media center.
It's crossed my mind and I love Win 7 media center, but it's not long for this world unfortunately. Microsoft has already nearly killed it several times in the past couple years and now Win 10 doesn't have it at all. *Supposedly* it'll still be supported in Win 7 until end of life (2020 I believe) but I don't trust Microsoft to keep to that. However, it may be a great option for those that aren't as concerned about it.

Tivo at least I know isn't going anywhere plus it'll save me the cost of getting a Roku.

Scott
post #8094 of 8239 Old 11-08-2015, 10:14 AM

Another question for you guys out there. Currently moving to a new home. Going to have to switch to charter. Was hoping to get a Royal 17 Digital for the new house, but can't find one anywhere. Any suggestions?[/QUOTE]

Try Great Lakes Communications on West River Drive. I bought one from them a couple of years ago. They can also install it.
James Daniel Bishop
post #8095 of 8239 Old 11-09-2015, 10:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Anyone else notice crackling audio during Supergirl and Scorpion on WWMT?
post #8096 of 8239 Old 11-11-2015, 03:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

NCIS New Orleans and Limitless also had the audio crackling
post #8097 of 8239 Old 11-12-2015, 04:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Charter in Kalamazoo here with supplied Charter DVR. Can't speak to the shows you listed (I do have Supergirl and NCIS:NOLA recorded but not watched yet). We watched the original NCIS and didn't have the audio crackle. When I get home today I'll try to remember to check Supergirl on both Charter and my OTA recording on Media Center and see.

Scott
post #8098 of 8239 Old 11-16-2015, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Grand Rapids getting some new Katz networks soon

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/90055/katz-signs-tribune-media-gen-for-diginets

Grit to WOTV
Escape to WXSP
Laff to WOOD
post #8099 of 8239 Old 11-16-2015, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Charter in Kalamazoo here with supplied Charter DVR. Can't speak to the shows you listed (I do have Supergirl and NCIS:NOLA recorded but not watched yet). We watched the original NCIS and didn't have the audio crackle. When I get home today I'll try to remember to check Supergirl on both Charter and my OTA recording on Media Center and see.
No audio issues on either Charter DVR or from OTA that I could see. I didn't watch the whole episode as I didn't have time but I randomly checked various parts.

One thing I have noticed lately with WWMT on Charter that this gave me a chance to test. WWMT and only WWMT has weird color shifts that happen every 5 seconds or so. Almost like a red/blue shift. Happens only on WWMT and not on any locals nor cable channels and it doesn't happen OTA for WWMT either. Very strange.

Scott
post #8100 of 8239 Old 11-16-2015, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No audio issues on either Charter DVR or from OTA that I could see. I didn't watch the whole episode as I didn't have time but I randomly checked various parts.

One thing I have noticed lately with WWMT on Charter that this gave me a chance to test. WWMT and only WWMT has weird color shifts that happen every 5 seconds or so. Almost like a red/blue shift. Happens only on WWMT and not on any locals nor cable channels and it doesn't happen OTA for WWMT either. Very strange.
I checked just now and I don't hear the problem right now, hopefully tonight it will work out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page