Grand Rapids, MI - HDTV - Page 274 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #8191 of 8239 Old 08-21-2017, 07:04 AM
Senior Member
 
rcoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Grand Rapids MI
Posts: 202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
For most of the summer I have been getting glitches on channel 8 and it has been getting progressively worse in the past couple weeks. I even lost it all together Sunday night a couple weeks back. I added channel 10 to my tuner and it is much better.

Optoma HD33
120" Elite ultra white screen
Denon 4311
INuke 3000
MiniDsp 2x4
SVS PB12 plus/2 & (2) SI HT18 in miniMartys
rcoe is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #8192 of 8239 Old 08-25-2017, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member
 
Dominic26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Grand Rapids MI
Posts: 585
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff72 View Post
I am seeing the same issue with WOOD TV via Charter. It has been going on for more than a week. Recordings of The Wall, AGT, and live viewing of American Ninja Warrior all had it. The text for the trivia questions is virtually unreadable during The Wall.

Does this happen OTA as well?

EDIT: I take back my statement that it only happens on WOOD TV. The difference is obvious when switching back and forth between WOTV and WZZM (same content - LLWS documentary). WOTV looks like it is severely bandwidth-limited.
Yes it does OTA. It completely went blank for about 5 seconds and my wife actually thought the TV was on the fritz. Channel 8.
Dominic26 is offline  
post #8193 of 8239 Old 08-25-2017, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member
 
Dominic26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Grand Rapids MI
Posts: 585
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakzie View Post
Looks like that antenna should be able to handle all the locals. I know channel 13 (Could be an issue picking that up) is to the north and most of the other ones are to the south. I just looked up the antenna on Amazon and it says that it is 4K ready LOL. I don't think any of our stations are 4K ready for a long time!
I believe the 4K antenna as much as the "digital antenna". I'm still using a 22 year old medium size antenna that pulls in all the GR TV channels, FM and FM-HD. I use a rotator, but rarely. I do NOT LIKE ladders and I owned it from our last home in RI, I had the guy put it up just in case.
Dominic26 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #8194 of 8239 Old 11-27-2017, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Kamakzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Cedar Springs, MI
Posts: 1,300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I guess I am slipping. Since when did we get CW in HD?
Kamakzie is offline  
post #8195 of 8239 Old 11-28-2017, 01:36 PM
Member
 
Rduce's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakzie View Post
I guess I am slipping. Since when did we get CW in HD?
If you are referring to the subchannel from WWMT over a year, the cable feed much longer. Might be why their main channel is so pixelated at times.
Rduce is offline  
post #8196 of 8239 Old 11-28-2017, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Kamakzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Cedar Springs, MI
Posts: 1,300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yeah its on OTA 3-2.
Kamakzie is offline  
post #8197 of 8239 Old 11-29-2017, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member
 
Dominic26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Grand Rapids MI
Posts: 585
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rduce View Post
If you are referring to the subchannel from WWMT over a year, the cable feed much longer. Might be why their main channel is so pixelated at times.
I've been noticing that. I initially thought maybe the rotator was out of sync on the roof. But all the other channels at Gun Lake were not.
Dominic26 is offline  
post #8198 of 8239 Old 01-03-2018, 07:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
spiff72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 2,459
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Is anyone else getting a lot of glitching/macroblocking on WZZM lately? I have been seeing this issue for the last week or so, especially when there are drastic scene/image changes. I am watching via Charter Cable and a Tivo Roamio Plus. WOTV4 is better, but I prefer watching WZZM normally because the PQ seems a bit softer on WOTV.
spiff72 is offline  
post #8199 of 8239 Old 01-04-2018, 09:19 AM
Member
 
vando45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Alto, MI
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I've noticed it too, although I haven't been watching wzzm much lately. I'm on Charter as well.
vando45 is offline  
post #8200 of 8239 Old 01-16-2018, 05:24 PM
Member
 
statmanmi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quest on 13.4 (WZZM)

Quest: I'm seeing it tonight for the first time on 13.4 (WZZM).

I'd expected this would show up any day, given the November press release noting Tegna would be the launch partner with this new offering from Cooper Media. I just didn't know if it would show up as an additional sub-channel, or displace their weather offering.

13.1 ABC remains at 720p; 13.2 weather and 13.3 Justice also retain their SD streams. I wonder if other Tegna stations are able to add without displacing their existing sub-channels?

For now, they're running a loop teasing the upcoming offering. It shows some title slides from shows I recognize from Discovery, History, etc. The ad concludes with a page showing their Quest logo (five capital letters, followed by the capital Q encircled in a compass, including the four cardinal points). Underneath that, it notes January 29, 2018 6:00 pm EST, all in block capital letters.


spiff72 and vando45, Since your posts earlier this month, I've occasionally been checking WZZM OTA. I've experienced no macroblocking during these few checks. It helps that I'm only 31 miles from their tower with the antenna on my garage roof--so 13 is one of my consistently strong signals. Perhaps it's more than coincidence that the Charter offering has a few hiccups while Quest has been in the works?

Cheers,
Statmanmi

Last edited by statmanmi; 09-17-2018 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Fixing typo of subchannels actually being in SD.
statmanmi is offline  
post #8201 of 8239 Old 02-09-2018, 05:07 PM
Member
 
statmanmi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Hello,

I'm interested in ideas and opinions about my pulling in out-of-market WILX 10 (RF 10) at home in NW Kent Co. (Greenville mailing address), without sacrificing my solid reception of out-of-market WWTV 9 (RF 9) nor installing a rotor (as that wouldn't be TabloTV DVR friendly).

Current TV Fool (Jan. 2018 database): http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...90388d76820bd2

TV Fool from Jan. 2017 database (only addition seems to be RF 41 WOLP-LP, which I'm occasionally getting now with the leaves off): http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e6a48d76820bd2

FM Fool image file also attached to this post.

Using 36 feet in TV Fool yields a great result of my actual situation, given that I always lock in WWTV RF 9 and all VHF & UHF channels listed above it on all devices.

I'm using a ClearStream 4V, with a RCA mast-mounted pre-amp (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/25-hdt...al-review.html). The VHF dipole is separately zip-tied below the UHF and pre-amp, currently with it pointed at 15 degrees (NNE), coaxed to the VHF in on the RCA. The FM Trap is IN effect.

Current VHF signals being solidly locked:

WOOD (8.x) RF7 196 deg. (True compass column of TV Fool.)
WWMT (3.x) RF8 197 deg.
WWTV (9.x) RF9 359 deg. (I wish to retain, as their studios are a mile from my mother's home...thus a great way for me to watch the weathercast and find out about her getting snowed in. Heaven forbid I check on-demand via an Internet site.)
WGVU (35.x) RF11 245 deg.
WZZM (13.x) RF13 290 deg.

Given that the desired RF10 signal (142 deg.) is adjacent to RF9 and RF11 which I wish to retain, an old-style Join-Tenna for Channel 10 doesn't seem plausible, unless someone can confirm that it won't kill them off for me.

I do now rarely have WILX RF10 come in for a few hours. My next intended trial is to just spin the VHF dipole to face dead-on to SW for the signal, then assess if I lose any others.

I'm of course benefiting from the Antennas Direct VHF dipole being bidirectional. Page 7 of this Data Sheet provides that graph: http://forums.solidsignal.com/docs/c2_vhf_tds.pdf . I also recall seeing a post by ADTech noting that it's optimized for the Channel 10 wavelength, which is to my advantage as I'm seeking out RF10 (for a redundant NBC feed, but also my closest available Heros & Icons...my son binged the Incredible Hulk with Lou Ferrigno and Bill Bixby when it was on Netflix--reminding me of my youth).

Thoughts I have:

1. Spin the existing VHF dipole, once the weather finally melts the snow off the roof, as mentioned above.

2. Horizontally stacking a second Antennas Direct VHF dipole, using a quality splitter/combiner. (Suggestions? Perhaps Ideal 85-132, per post 501 here: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/81-o...tennas-34.html) Then passing the combined results into the VHF in on the RCA pre-amp.

3. (And/or) Upgrading the pre-amp by purchasing and installing a Kitztech KT-200 or KT-500.

4. Possibly entirely replacing the existing VHF dipole with a different dedicated VHF antenna that still has some gain off the sides and the back. I might be able to thread the needle with a Fracarro 6E512_F. (See page 3 in this document: http://www.fracarro.com/index.php/en...ownload&fid=13 But seems certain I'd lose RF11--losing one of my two PBS sources, and likely also my must-have RF9.)

Other ideas? I welcome them.

Can anyone advise if the FM signals are affecting me at all? I'm thinking not, but my reading about the second and third harmonics in other posts and sites has me wondering if the FM Trap isn't enough in the RCA, and that a better additional FM band-stop filter is worth including.

Thanks a ton!
Statmanmi
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Radar-FMFool.png
Views:	39
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	2358510  

Kent County, MI
statmanmi is offline  
post #8202 of 8239 Old 02-14-2018, 04:41 AM
Senior Member
 
tustinfarm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 367
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by statmanmi View Post
Hello,

I'm interested in ideas and opinions about my pulling in out-of-market WILX 10 (RF 10) at home in NW Kent Co. (Greenville mailing address), without sacrificing my solid reception of out-of-market WWTV 9 (RF 9) nor installing a rotor (as that wouldn't be TabloTV DVR friendly).

Current TV Fool (Jan. 2018 database): http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...90388d76820bd2

TV Fool from Jan. 2017 database (only addition seems to be RF 41 WOLP-LP, which I'm occasionally getting now with the leaves off): http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e6a48d76820bd2

FM Fool image file also attached to this post.

Using 36 feet in TV Fool yields a great result of my actual situation, given that I always lock in WWTV RF 9 and all VHF & UHF channels listed above it on all devices.

I'm using a ClearStream 4V, with a RCA mast-mounted pre-amp (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/25-hdt...al-review.html). The VHF dipole is separately zip-tied below the UHF and pre-amp, currently with it pointed at 15 degrees (NNE), coaxed to the VHF in on the RCA. The FM Trap is IN effect.

Current VHF signals being solidly locked:

WOOD (8.x) RF7 196 deg. (True compass column of TV Fool.)
WWMT (3.x) RF8 197 deg.
WWTV (9.x) RF9 359 deg. (I wish to retain, as their studios are a mile from my mother's home...thus a great way for me to watch the weathercast and find out about her getting snowed in. Heaven forbid I check on-demand via an Internet site.)
WGVU (35.x) RF11 245 deg.
WZZM (13.x) RF13 290 deg.

Given that the desired RF10 signal (142 deg.) is adjacent to RF9 and RF11 which I wish to retain, an old-style Join-Tenna for Channel 10 doesn't seem plausible, unless someone can confirm that it won't kill them off for me.

I do now rarely have WILX RF10 come in for a few hours. My next intended trial is to just spin the VHF dipole to face dead-on to SW for the signal, then assess if I lose any others.

I'm of course benefiting from the Antennas Direct VHF dipole being bidirectional. Page 7 of this Data Sheet provides that graph: http://forums.solidsignal.com/docs/c2_vhf_tds.pdf . I also recall seeing a post by ADTech noting that it's optimized for the Channel 10 wavelength, which is to my advantage as I'm seeking out RF10 (for a redundant NBC feed, but also my closest available Heros & Icons...my son binged the Incredible Hulk with Lou Ferrigno and Bill Bixby when it was on Netflix--reminding me of my youth).

Thoughts I have:

1. Spin the existing VHF dipole, once the weather finally melts the snow off the roof, as mentioned above.

2. Horizontally stacking a second Antennas Direct VHF dipole, using a quality splitter/combiner. (Suggestions? Perhaps Ideal 85-132, per post 501 here: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/81-o...tennas-34.html) Then passing the combined results into the VHF in on the RCA pre-amp.

3. (And/or) Upgrading the pre-amp by purchasing and installing a Kitztech KT-200 or KT-500.

4. Possibly entirely replacing the existing VHF dipole with a different dedicated VHF antenna that still has some gain off the sides and the back. I might be able to thread the needle with a Fracarro 6E512_F. (See page 3 in this document: http://www.fracarro.com/index.php/en...ownload&fid=13 But seems certain I'd lose RF11--losing one of my two PBS sources, and likely also my must-have RF9.)

Other ideas? I welcome them.

Can anyone advise if the FM signals are affecting me at all? I'm thinking not, but my reading about the second and third harmonics in other posts and sites has me wondering if the FM Trap isn't enough in the RCA, and that a better additional FM band-stop filter is worth including.

Thanks a ton!
Statmanmi
I think your starting point would be spinning the existing VHF dipole to see if you can find a new sweet spot to get WILX without sacrificing the others like Channel 9 in Cadillac. The next step would be to try a dedicated VHF antenna such as the Stellar Labs 30-2475...yes it's more directional but still might be a sweet spot to be had where you get everything.

Regarding FM interference, the second harmonics are the ones that can be a problem, i.e. when the FM signals are strong enough to overload the preamp the harmonics are "created" and many fall smack dab in one or more of the high-VHF channels (RF 7-13). There are two broad ways to detect whether they are an issue. The simplest, and least reliable way, is when you find that you can't receive a hi-VHF channel when it should be a cinch based on the tvfool report. In your case you might be able to detect FM interference by switching off the FM trap and seeing whether your VHF channels are impaired in any way. But the definitive way to detect FM interference is to hook up a spectrum analyzer to the preamp output, and observe the raw 6 MHz wide RF signal for a channel - if there is an FM harmonic it will be very obvious....pulsing up and down in rhythm with the music/speech from the offending FM station. For a spectrum analyzer I am using a software defined receiver (SDRPlay), and it has been amazingly useful to be able to "see" the raw RF signals when tweaking antenna alignment, etc.

By the way I am using the same RCA preamp with my current antenna setup (separate VHF/UHF antennas, FM trap on), and it works wonders for my situation, about 54 miles from the main towers in Atlanta. I also added an additional FM trap, for good measure, in line with the VHF antenna, even though it seems the RCA preamp trap is working OK. Without an FM trap I lose my two VHF stations (RF 8 & 10), owing to a powerful FM stations less than 5 miles from my location.

The Kitztech is legendary for the low noise figure and high gain. I'd hold off on that until you've had a chance to try the less expensive options.

One final and somewhat crazy thought - you may even want to try one of the small, super cheap (<$30), so-called "150 mile" (a nonsense claim) HDTV antennas with a built in preamp. In my early cord cutting days (2016) I got some pretty amazing results with a couple of these, and still make use of one at a vacation home in the Cadillac area (10 miles from the WWTV tower....can see it at night). Search "Esky 2 HDTV" on Amazon for an example of one of these antennas. Crazy cheap but worth every penny of entertainment value....that's how I got my start with cord cutting....and also learned about FM interference, lol.
tustinfarm is offline  
post #8203 of 8239 Old 04-17-2018, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Kamakzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Cedar Springs, MI
Posts: 1,300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Any one else having issues with the Grand Rapids locals on DirecTV tonight?
Kamakzie is offline  
post #8204 of 8239 Old 04-18-2018, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
Dominic26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Grand Rapids MI
Posts: 585
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakzie View Post
Any one else having issues with the Grand Rapids locals on DirecTV tonight?
I'm OTA. I had a couple of problems with channel 3 during NCIS: New Orleans even though signal strength was right up there.
Dominic26 is offline  
post #8205 of 8239 Old 04-18-2018, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Kamakzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Cedar Springs, MI
Posts: 1,300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic26 View Post
I'm OTA. I had a couple of problems with channel 3 during NCIS: New Orleans even though signal strength was right up there.
My mother kept complaining that the voice was freezing up and she also said Roseanne was doing the same thing. I checked my receiver and noticed the voice did the same thing when I was watching Smackdown. However USA network was perfectly fine. My guess is the fiber feed carrying the signal back to DirecTV had a issue?
Kamakzie is offline  
post #8206 of 8239 Old 04-18-2018, 12:31 PM
Member
 
JT01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Charlotte, MI
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic26 View Post
I'm OTA. I had a couple of problems with channel 3 during NCIS: New Orleans even though signal strength was right up there.
I'm in Charlotte and historically have had great reception on channel 3, but in the past few months or so there have been problems. I have a rooftop antenna pointed at Gun Lake and get very good signal strength, but the picture will freeze or glitch (but not pixelate) every 2 or 3 minutes, which is enough to be annoying. I've started using Lansing's channel 6 for CBS, so have not watched 3 very much, but, when I do it still has the glitches. As I said this has only cropped up recently. Any ideas for a fix?
JT01 is online now  
post #8207 of 8239 Old 04-18-2018, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
Dominic26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Grand Rapids MI
Posts: 585
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT01 View Post
I'm in Charlotte and historically have had great reception on channel 3, but in the past few months or so there have been problems. I have a rooftop antenna pointed at Gun Lake and get very good signal strength, but the picture will freeze or glitch (but not pixelate) every 2 or 3 minutes, which is enough to be annoying. I've started using Lansing's channel 6 for CBS, so have not watched 3 very much, but, when I do it still has the glitches. As I said this has only cropped up recently. Any ideas for a fix?
I feel it's a channel 3 problem.
Dominic26 is offline  
post #8208 of 8239 Old 07-15-2018, 03:56 PM
Member
 
Rduce's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic26 View Post
I feel it's a channel 3 problem.
They apparently realize the have a problem, as they have applied with the FCC to raise their tower height by 197 feet. The application did not request any increase in power.

https://publicfiles.fcc.gov/api/serv...n/2008402.html

Last edited by Rduce; 07-15-2018 at 04:03 PM.
Rduce is offline  
post #8209 of 8239 Old 07-19-2018, 12:22 PM
Member
 
JT01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Charlotte, MI
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rduce View Post
They apparently realize they have a problem, as they have applied with the FCC to raise their tower height by 197 feet.
Something may have changed after my original post in April, as I don't have the problem anymore. Another 197 feet probably won't hurt, though.
JT01 is online now  
post #8210 of 8239 Old 09-12-2018, 05:37 PM
Member
 
statmanmi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 7
To bladerunner6 near Holland MI

From the HDTV Technical/Antenna & Hardware Topic, from user bladerunner6:

Here is my TV Fool report

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9038d5c06a07b5

My difficult to get stations are WOOD-DT and WWMT- NBC and CBS affiliates

The antenna is located on our deck, although I might be able to mount to the side of the house- in on the south side.

The antenna is a Channel Master CM3018.

The length of coax is 50-60 feet.

I was thinking of this amplifier because I do lov Crutchfield.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_659777...ster-7777.html

Thanks so much!


https://www.avsforum.com/forum/25-hd...l#post56793936


~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello fellow West Michigander bladerunner6!

I'm one county east from you, and have only become an OTA geek for just over a year, but seeing your posts has me thinking of things you could contemplate trying. So perhaps one or more of the following might be useful for you:

* WWMT CBS 3.x (RF 8) seems to be troublesome for many in our market. The two posts above this one reference the not-yet-approved FCC application for raising their antenna up the existing tower to help with that. But I think you should be able to get their signal okay, what with TVFool estimating a Noise Margin of 26.8.


* I'm wondering if you're quite close to an FM station's tower. Could you run a FMFool report here: http://www.fmfool.com/ . Then paste an image of the result back into this thread. (Unlike TVFool, FMFool doesn't provide a link back to one's result page.)

What we're fishing for are FM broadcasts with signal strength [column Rx(dbm)] between zero and negative 20 or so (-20.0), and especially if the station is between frequencies 90.0 and 93.0. That range can cause second order harmonics (think: "echos" at twice the frequency) that sit right on top of the range for WWMT CBS 3.x (since it's real frequency 8 ~ 180 through 186 MHz).

When I run FMFool with only the zip code shown in your TVFool link, WYVN 92.7 could be a culprit if you're right next door to it.


* The CM 7777 amplifier includes an FM trap, but be advised that rabbit73 and others have pointed out in many other posts about how many FM traps were designed to not hinder reception of TV broadcasts on RF 6 (82-88MHz). Thus, the traps don't attenuate (reduce) the strength of lower frequencies of FM. Some have been noted to not really kick in until 95 MHz or 93 MHz. Yet as I've learned from reading lots about OTA on the Internet, and noted above, it's specifically 90.0 through 93.0 that can mess up TV RF 8.


* Thus, what might be needed is a full-band (or full band-stop) FM trap. Rabbit73 (he's smart!) and others have lamented about how the suppliers that used to offer these seemed to have discontinued them. Earlier this summer I sourced 3 of the discontinued MCM Electronics ones (model number 33-341) through this site:

https://angelelectronics.ca/shop/ota...arch=fm%20trap

(Their site notes the manufacturer as Antennas Direct, but what arrived via UPS for me about four weeks after I ordered were indeed MCM ones, as shown in the picture.)

I've since also spotted this U.S. seller that might be somehow related, as their site seems to have pretty much the same offerings:

http://www.zainaelectronics.com/ante...jection-filter


* I haven't seen noted in your HDTV thread postings how many devices you're trying to feed. (I didn't click through to your posts in other forums.) Consider troubleshooting by having the antenna feed to only one TV initially, find in its diagnostics screens where it gives some sort of Signal Strength/Signal Quality/SNR value, and optimize that number by turning the antenna a little at a time. Your Channel Master CM-3018 should work well for most broadcasts, when pointed toward Gun Lake (around 105 degrees per True North, as shown on your TVFool).


* If even one TV fed directly from the antenna through the 50-60 feet of coax still isn't getting your weakest station (perhaps WWMT CBS 3.x RF 8, or WLLA 64.x RF 45--my family watches MeTV lots, so that's 64.2), then you're likely indeed needing a mast-mounted amplifier just to cover the length of the coax.


* If the single TV gets all your desired channels, next one would add in a single splitter to feed to all your devices. If it's three devices (like 2 TVs and a DVR), make sure to get a "balanced" splitter, such as this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ideal-2-...-333/202276265

Note to only use a single splitter. Avoid splitting in one place (such as the lower-level utility room), then adding another splitter later in-line (such as in the family room, to feed a TV and DVR sitting side-by-side). Doing the latter will likely reduce the fringe signals too much for those devices to utilize.

You may find that after feeding all the devices, the weakest channels no longer come through. That also indicates the need for an amplifier.


* How strong of an amplifier do you need? The CM-7777 is rather strong, as rabbit73 noted. Perhaps that's what you need if you're splitting to many devices. Otherwise, consider the RCA Preamp that's on the shelf at Menards:

https://www.menards.com/main/electri...4424471376.htm

This thread gives lots of details and experiences with this device (as well as having comments about other amplifiers):

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/25-hd...al-review.html


Given the ready availability and economical cost of the RCA, you could start with it, and then later update to the CM-7777 or something else. Note that the above thread documents that the FM trap in the RCA isn't full-band, so might not be enough to cure WWMT CBS 3.x for you.


* You mention that WOOD NBC 8.x RF 7 is also a difficulty. My quick take on it is that if you can instead get WOGC 25.x (RF 25), you don't need the RF 7 reception. Earlier in this West Michigan thread--granted back in posts from 2008 & 2009--there's mention that it was added to be a translator/repeater (so to speak) for WOOD. Apparently the Milwaukee station on RF 7 was causing interference, what with its signal reaching across Lake Michigan. My understanding is that 25.1 will be NBC, 25.2 is Bounce, and 25.3 provides Laff. Perhaps someone else wading though this post can confirm.

Whew! What a long brain dump. Hopefully something will be helpful from the above.

Cheers!
Statmanmi
statmanmi is offline  
post #8211 of 8239 Old 09-14-2018, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member
 
Dominic26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Grand Rapids MI
Posts: 585
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by statmanmi View Post
From the HDTV Technical/Antenna & Hardware Topic, from user bladerunner6:

Here is my TV Fool report

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9038d5c06a07b5

My difficult to get stations are WOOD-DT and WWMT- NBC and CBS affiliates

The antenna is located on our deck, although I might be able to mount to the side of the house- in on the south side.

The antenna is a Channel Master CM3018.

The length of coax is 50-60 feet.

I was thinking of this amplifier because I do lov Crutchfield.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_659777...ster-7777.html

Thanks so much!...


...Whew! What a long brain dump. Hopefully something will be helpful from the above.

Cheers!
Statmanmi

Looking at the TVFool report I would first suggest getting the antenna from the deck to the roof. It should be enough to improve the noise margin (NM).
Dominic26 is offline  
post #8212 of 8239 Old 11-10-2018, 04:54 PM
Member
 
perrycur2680's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Anybody know what's up with WOOD TV these days? I noticed during Sunday Night Football the picture was jittery, like streaming Internet video @ 30 fps. I'm watching the Notre Dame game now and it's still the same. I tested with both my antenna and DirecTV and the video is the same so it seems like a broadcast/station issue. Wondering if it's just me...
perrycur2680 is offline  
post #8213 of 8239 Old 01-06-2019, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Pete7874's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 1,849
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Hello, potential cord cutter on the east side of GRR area here. I just ordered this indoor HDTV antenna which is going to be placed on a second floor. Just wondering if this will do OK or if there are much better options out there in similar price range. Thanks!

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real." - Abraham Lincoln


Last edited by DrDon; 01-07-2019 at 06:13 AM.
Pete7874 is online now  
post #8214 of 8239 Old 01-07-2019, 06:13 AM
Super Moderator
 
DrDon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Metro Detroit, Tampa Bay
Posts: 16,792
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2189 Post(s)
Liked: 4092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7874 View Post
Hello, potential cord cutter on the east side of GRR area here. I just ordered this indoor HDTV antenna which is going to be placed on a second floor. Just wondering if this will do OK or if there are much better options out there in similar price range. Thanks!
Those flat antennas are largely gimmicky. They're okay for UHF and marginal for VHF. A lot will depend on just where you are in relation to the transmitters. You have four VHF stations and several in different directions. Again, depending on where you are, I'd be surprised if one of those would pick up everything a more conventional antenna will. Read through this thread and supply all of the information requested there in a reply here. Especially a TVFool report LINK.

I ran this generic report from East Grand Rapids. The signals you probably care about the most are coming from two different directions. As they're all inside of 20 miles, you MIGHT be able to locate a sweet spot that gets the majority of them. WOOD, WZZM, WGVU and WWMT are VHF and might take a little more trial and error depending on what's around you. Other homes, water towers ..even metal in your attic could create multipath. Also, if you're near the landing pattern for the airport, you could get freezes or dropouts every time a plane goes over.

You can TRY that antenna, but make sure wherever you get it has a good return policy should it either not work or not be consistent. Honestly, in most situations where one of those works, one of these works just as well and doesn't cost nearly as much.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.

Last edited by DrDon; 01-07-2019 at 06:28 AM.
DrDon is offline  
post #8215 of 8239 Old 01-07-2019, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Pete7874's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 1,849
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
Read through this thread and supply all of the information requested there in a reply here. Especially a TVFool report LINK.
Thanks for the response.

Here is my report link:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9038d893a430dd


Location of antenna: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K9SGXFL will be placed on a window, facing East, about 18ft from the ground.
What make and model of television(s) are you connecting? Samsung UN55B7100
Set top box? make and model, please, if any. N/A
Length and type of coax. (Hopefully RG-6) 18 ft
Pre-amp. Make and model. Whatever comes with this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K9SGXFL
Domicile. Apartment? Ground floor? Valley? Hill? Facing which direction? Apt, 2nd floor, facing E.
Nearby buildings. about 150 ft away.
Nearby towers. powerline towers within 50 ft.



If the antenna I already ordered does not work, what would be a better one to try?

Thanks,
Pete

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real." - Abraham Lincoln


Last edited by Pete7874; 01-07-2019 at 07:09 AM.
Pete7874 is online now  
post #8216 of 8239 Old 01-07-2019, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator
 
DrDon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Metro Detroit, Tampa Bay
Posts: 16,792
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2189 Post(s)
Liked: 4092
Your report shows you at an elevation disadvantage a flat antenna's probably not going to be right for. I'm guessing, being in an apartment means you can't go to the attic or the roof. Are any of your neighbors having any success with antennas?

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
DrDon is offline  
post #8217 of 8239 Old 01-08-2019, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Pete7874's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 1,849
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Thanks.

As you predicted, reception with this antenna is rather poor in my location. Out of the major networks, I am only picking up FOX and ABC, and even these don't come through consistently/reliably.

If I were to install an antenna on my balcony, which one would you recommend? How about this one?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MYMVPVX

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real." - Abraham Lincoln

Pete7874 is online now  
post #8218 of 8239 Old 01-08-2019, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator
 
DrDon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Metro Detroit, Tampa Bay
Posts: 16,792
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2189 Post(s)
Liked: 4092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7874 View Post
Thanks.

As you predicted, reception with this antenna is rather poor in my location. Out of the major networks, I am only picking up FOX and ABC, and even these don't come through consistently/reliably.

If I were to install an antenna on my balcony, which one would you recommend? How about this one?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MYMVPVX
That just has a simple dipole for a VHF element. You're probably going to need something such as this, maybe even larger. Being below line-of-sight is going to make reliable reception a tall order. Literally.

Have you seen any rooftop antennas on any homes in the area? I'm guessing there aren't many or they're huge.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
DrDon is offline  
post #8219 of 8239 Old 01-08-2019, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Pete7874's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 1,849
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
Have you seen any rooftop antennas on any homes in the area?
None.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real." - Abraham Lincoln

Pete7874 is online now  
post #8220 of 8239 Old 01-08-2019, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator
 
DrDon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Metro Detroit, Tampa Bay
Posts: 16,792
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2189 Post(s)
Liked: 4092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7874 View Post
None.
Probably a reason, I'm thinking. Still, the fact you got SOME signal is good. A better antenna might lock those up more consistently. If your balcony faces west and you mount the antenna I linked in a way you can turn it, you might do a little better. But, as always, keep receipts.

You may wind up moving to a streaming service that has local channels.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
DrDon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off