Grand Rapids, MI - HDTV - Page 275 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #8221 of 8239 Old 01-08-2019, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
You may wind up moving to a streaming service that has local channels.
This will be a more likely scenario, at least for the time being, until we move out of this apartment.

Thank you for your help.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real." - Abraham Lincoln

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8222 of 8239 Old 01-08-2019, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7874 View Post
Thanks.

As you predicted, reception with this antenna is rather poor in my location. Out of the major networks, I am only picking up FOX and ABC, and even these don't come through consistently/reliably.
So, I found another place in the house where I get better reception with this indoor antenna; however, it would require extending the supplied 18 ft coax cable by additional 40 ft. Would such cable length be OK or would it degrade the signal too much?

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real." - Abraham Lincoln

post #8223 of 8239 Old 01-08-2019, 03:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Hello Pete7874,

I'm a fellow Kent County resident, and have helped a few in my family and co-workers with getting their antennas going, although none indoors. But I think I can offer some thoughts of merit for you.

Like DrDon noted, Grand Rapids is a TV market with a high number (4) of broadcasts in the VHF frequency range ("Real" values of 13 and below on the TVFool output), which requires something with dipole elements 36 or so inches wide. The flat antenna you have now ("mud flap" style, as I've seem used for reference by others) just don't cut it for those signals. So even with getting it in a better location within your apartment likely won't get you CBS 3 (RF 8), which tends to be the toughest to lock in around here.

Would you have a top shelf area in a closet where you could place pointing south (or better yet, out on a balcony) one of the RCA ANT751s that is around a yard long and a yard wide:

https://www.menards.com/main/electri...3594157&ipos=3

My sense is that the above RCA has better VHF gain than the GE model you linked earlier.

Getting something pointing south will get you most all of the big networks (CBS, NBC, FOX, ABC [41, since 13 is northwest]), with PBS being due west from you perhaps being sacrificed.

Regarding your thought of having to run about 60 feet of coax, try first having your TV or whatever device has a tuner real close to the antenna--to see what you can get. Then if you lose something when adding distance, that'll help identify if you need an amplifier near the antenna, or perhaps something inline as a distribution amplifier. The key is to first optimize the reception at the antenna. Then if needed, some additional amplification can overcome a longer coax run.

Good luck!
Cheers,
Statmanmi

Kent County, MI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8224 of 8239 Old 01-08-2019, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by statmanmi View Post
Like DrDon noted, Grand Rapids is a TV market with a high number (4) of broadcasts in the VHF frequency range ("Real" values of 13 and below on the TVFool output), which requires something with dipole elements 36 or so inches wide. The flat antenna you have now ("mud flap" style, as I've seem used for reference by others) just don't cut it for those signals. So even with getting it in a better location within your apartment likely won't get you CBS 3 (RF 8), which tends to be the toughest to lock in around here.
Correct. I was able to get FOX, ABC, and NBC, but not CBS.

Quote:
Would you have a top shelf area in a closet where you could place pointing south (or better yet, out on a balcony)
Unfortunately, I am completely blocked to the south. I can do any other direction, I can do south-east, but not south.

Quote:
that'll help identify if you need an amplifier near the antenna, or perhaps something inline as a distribution amplifier.
That flat antenna I bought does have a powered amplifier, but I don't know if it's any good. I did get a few more channels when connecting this amplifier. Just not sure what 40 extra feet of cable would do. I guess there is only one way to find out.

Last edited by Pete7874; 01-08-2019 at 04:29 PM.
post #8225 of 8239 Old 01-08-2019, 05:07 PM

Man Pete7874, you've gotta be right on the threshold of getting CBS 3 (RF8), since you were able to get NBC 8 (RF7). What with the predicted signal estimates from TVFool--but others have posted about how CBS 3 is their nemesis as well.

I'm impressed that the flat mud flap antenna is getting you NBC. Wonder if that'd still hold true when the leaves come back out in the spring.

My opinion is that a more capable aerial is needed. Even if it has to point more southeast than south. Heck, it might get enough signal strength through the rest of the apartment building structure when you do try pointing straight south--that'll be affected by the wall structure (wood versus steel studs, etc.) and other construction factors, of course. Or you might find a consistent reflection off some hillside or something when you point east or even northeast

Too bad the landlord doesn't provide a common antenna. I noticed that even the new apartments off the M-6 freeway have had the 3 direction aerials installed on top, what with our area having signals coming predominantly from each of those ways.

Keep tryin'!
Statmanmi

Kent County, MI
post #8226 of 8239 Old 01-14-2019, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7874 View Post
Thanks for the response.

Here is my report link:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9038d893a430dd

Location of antenna: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K9SGXFL will be placed on a window, facing East, about 18ft from the ground.
What make and model of television(s) are you connecting? Samsung UN55B7100
Set top box? make and model, please, if any. N/A
Length and type of coax. (Hopefully RG-6) 18 ft
Pre-amp. Make and model. Whatever comes with this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K9SGXFL
Domicile. Apartment? Ground floor? Valley? Hill? Facing which direction? Apt, 2nd floor, facing E.
Nearby buildings. about 150 ft away.
Nearby towers. powerline towers within 50 ft.

If the antenna I already ordered does not work, what would be a better one to try?

Thanks,
Pete

I compared your TVFool to mine, it looks like we are near each other. Getting the antenna up to 25ft might not be practical but it may do wonders. Your location is definitely at a disadvantage Here is my TVFool at 25 ft http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...90387b5f286261 vs. 18 ft http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9038c67a169d3c

Notice the difference.

Dominic
post #8227 of 8239 Old 01-31-2019, 06:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Maybe I'm a big whiner and I probably am but is anyone else getting tired of big weather graphics on their recordings?
Dominic26 likes this.
post #8228 of 8239 Old 02-01-2019, 03:34 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakzie View Post
Maybe I'm a big whiner and I probably am but is anyone else getting tired of big weather graphics on their recordings?
I agree, very annoying. They wouldn't have to use so much of the screen area to get the message out.
Dominic26 likes this.
post #8229 of 8239 Old 02-09-2019, 08:52 AM

WOOD TV 8 Muskegon DRT offline through March 2019 for repack new frequency

For anyone who might read here after realizing they're lacking reception of WOOD TV 8 (virtual) NBC in the Muskegon area:

The Digital Replacement Translator (DRT) broadcast near Muskegon for WOOD TV 8 NBC is currently offline. There's been no crawl for this, nor posting on their website. And maybe because it's a DRT, there's not even been a FCC filing.

My co-worker who lives north of Ravenna (but still in Muskegon county) had just gotten his antenna adjusted to where he was getting this signal great. Then around February 1st, it ceased to reach him.

He initiated a message to the station through their website's "Contact Us" page. The e-mail that came back to him explained that the repack to the new frequency (from RF46 down to RF34) is now progressing, and that "after March 2019" viewers in the area will need to re-scan each of their TVs to find the new signal. (But it'll still have the same "virtual channels" of 8-x.)

~~~~~~~

And for other viewers a bit further north, the recent FCC filings regarding the WXMI Fox 17 (virtual) broadcast from the Hesperia tower advise it is back online.

They had filed last year that the signal was going silent as RF42 (Class A ID = W42CB-D) as of 10/3/2018. Reason cited being their receipt of a T-Mobile letter to vacate the frequency.

This week (2/7/2019) they filed both a Resumption of Operations and License to Cover, regarding starting up the RF36 signal on 2/5/2019. Upon FCC approval, they'll be Class A ID of W36FA-D.

Cheers! Statmanmi

Kent County, MI
post #8230 of 8239 Old 02-09-2019, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1418 Post(s)
Liked: 521
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
Quote:
Upon FCC approval, they'll be Class A ID of W36FA-D.

To be clear, W36FA-D will remain a translator. It is not upgrading to Class A status.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #8231 of 8239 Old 03-04-2019, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Anyone else noticing the sound being out of sync on WOOD-8? I'm watching on Charter/ Spectrum, but it's doing it on antenna as well. Also had some freezing/ pixilation and audio drop-outs recently.
post #8232 of 8239 Old 03-05-2019, 06:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Charter and Tivo issues in West Michigan?

I haven't posted here in a while, but I have been having issues with the Tuning Adapter issued by Charter Spectrum for about a year, where the Tivo doesn't recognize the security certificates on the Tivo. It states that I need a firmware upgrade.

I have had Charter out several time over the last year, and still no solution yet. The error message mentions Error Code D267, but there is limited info online about this. The web site that the Tivo error references in the support section doesn't exist.
post #8233 of 8239 Old 03-05-2019, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vando45 View Post
Anyone else noticing the sound being out of sync on WOOD-8? I'm watching on Charter/ Spectrum, but it's doing it on antenna as well. Also had some freezing/ pixilation and audio drop-outs recently.
Yup. But as far as freezing, I thought it was the result of my weak signal though.

post #8234 of 8239 Old 03-12-2019, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'll post my link in a minute!

Hello everyone, long time since I was here. I am about half way between Greenville and Rockford, MI. I am thinking of buying the Dennys Stacker Antenna & mounting it on a rotor & tri-pod on the roof approx.
30 - 35 ' above ground with a Winegard LNA 200 pre-amp. There are quite a few trees around.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance,
post #8235 of 8239 Old 03-12-2019, 05:57 PM

Hello everyone, long time since I was here. I am about half way between Greenville and Rockford, MI. I am thinking of buying the Dennys Stacker Antenna & mounting it on a rotor & tri-pod on the roof approx.
30 - 35 ' above ground with a Winegard LNA 200 pre-amp. There are quite a few trees around.

What do you think?

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9038130dd6dd64
post #8236 of 8239 Old 03-12-2019, 07:50 PM

Nearby, using a ClearStream 4 plus VHF Yagi

Hi KAR-55,

I must be about 4 miles straight east from you. This post above tells about my set-up, although I've slightly upgraded my VHF aerial:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/45-lo...l#post55665130

Are you after only the Grand Rapids/West Michigan channels, and perhaps WCMU PBS from the north--or more? You'll read that I'm trying for WILX 10 NBC from south of Lansing--but TVFool estimates that too low of strength at your place. I've also wanted to solidly obtain WWTV 9 CBS from Cadillac, but only because that's my hometown.

You'd probably be fine with Denny's Stacker, but it might actually be more than you need. I've noticed someone along M-57 that has a ClearStream 2V on the peak of their home--but not in trees. You'll read that I'm using a ClearStream 4 (now without the VHF add-on) in tall trees at my location, with great success. The VHF dipole was enough for the West Michigan VHF signals as well. Notice that I'm using an RCA mast-mounted pre-amp to combine and overcome long coax runs:

https://www.menards.com/main/electri...4424471376.htm

If you're not having all that long of a coax run, and going to only a single TV (or tuner), you might be fine without either a mast-mounted pre-amp or in-line distribution amp.

Can you tell I've caught the OTA bug? I'm such a geek on this topic.

Good luck! Cheers, Statmanmi

Kent County, MI
post #8237 of 8239 Old 03-13-2019, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm looking for a good place to purchase my first antenna with knowledgeable staff and reasonable prices. I would like to avoid wasting time and money. I live in the Wyoming area. Thanks in advance for your help.
post #8238 of 8239 Old 03-13-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Hi KAR-55,

I must be about 4 miles straight east from you. This post above tells about my set-up, although I've slightly upgraded my VHF aerial:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/45-lo...l#post55665130

Are you after only the Grand Rapids/West Michigan channels, and perhaps WCMU PBS from the north--or more? You'll read that I'm trying for WILX 10 NBC from south of Lansing--but TVFool estimates that too low of strength at your place. I've also wanted to solidly obtain WWTV 9 CBS from Cadillac, but only because that's my hometown.

You'd probably be fine with Denny's Stacker, but it might actually be more than you need. I've noticed someone along M-57 that has a ClearStream 2V on the peak of their home--but not in trees. You'll read that I'm using a ClearStream 4 (now without the VHF add-on) in tall trees at my location, with great success. The VHF dipole was enough for the West Michigan VHF signals as well. Notice that I'm using an RCA mast-mounted pre-amp to combine and overcome long coax runs:

https://www.menards.com/main/electri...4424471376.htm

If you're not having all that long of a coax run, and going to only a single TV (or tuner), you might be fine without either a mast-mounted pre-amp or in-line distribution amp.

Can you tell I've caught the OTA bug? I'm such a geek on this topic.

Good luck! Cheers, Statmanmi
I'm off from Harvard Rd. I'm sure you know where that is! I read about your set-up, very good info.
I think I'm a bit of a geek about this also, I've been researching antenna's & equipment for about 2 months now, and waiting for the snow to melt off the roof so I can get up there and get an antenna installed.

Thanks for the reply, I'm mostly interested in WOOD 8, WWMT 3, WGVU 35, WXMI 17, WZZM 13, anything else would be a bonus

Most of the channels I need are VHF so I'm really leaning towards Denny's HD Stacker Antenna unless somebody can convince me otherwise!

I would like to run the coax into a HD Home run box or something similar and distribute the signal to other TV's over WI-FI. Anybody have any experience with that?
post #8239 of 8239 Old 03-13-2019, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Creamer View Post
I'm looking for a good place to purchase my first antenna with knowledgeable staff and reasonable prices. I would like to avoid wasting time and money. I live in the Wyoming area. Thanks in advance for your help.
I learned a lot from reading Denny's Antenna Site, plus he's a Michigan Guy! I am in no way trying to sell his products, I just thought there was a lot of good information & products there!

http://dennysantennaservice.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page