Grand Rapids, MI - HDTV - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #61 of 8248 Old 01-14-2004, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Yea, I'm thinking the extra half mb so far is actually doing a lot. I caught part of Cold Case during Red Wings intermission and I'd swear it looks better then it used to and there wasn't a single pixelization event. Good job so far!

Oh and kilo, you might want to check out our first thread (see the link in the first post of this one). I know there were some guys from Holland area that posted about various antenna's they use. Not sure if that helps you or not but might want to search that thread and see what you find. At the top of each page right above the posts should be a box for "search this thread". Very usefull for finding specifics in one particular thread. So you could search for "spring lake" or "grand haven" and see what comes up. Good luck and I'm sure someone from your area will stop in sometime and offer advice.

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 8248 Old 01-15-2004, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I live in downtown Grand Haven and have had mixed results with ota reception. I am using a Royal 17 with a zenith 520. ABC is excellent I have no trouble receiving a strong constant signal. I usually get a good signal on NBC and FOX, but for some unknown reason some evenings the signal bounces all over making them unwatchable. I almost never have a watchable signal with CBS. My main problem is power lines. My house is close to some large power lines which are causing interference on the lower channels. I believe that may be part of the problem with NBC as well. Without the power lines I believe I would be able to get CBS. Hope that helps.

Doug
post #63 of 8248 Old 01-15-2004, 12:17 PM

Yea, but then without the power lines you couldn't watch TV LOL

Sorry...couldn't resist
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 8248 Old 01-15-2004, 08:03 PM

Has anyone noticed any pixelation or other artifacts on WWMT since they increased the bitrate?
post #65 of 8248 Old 01-15-2004, 09:59 PM

Actually tonight I did have some, but I was debating weather it was them or me.... it's them right? LOL
post #66 of 8248 Old 01-16-2004, 05:22 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
CSI on WWMT looked pretty good last night, but that's because there's not a lot of fast motion. I still noticed a lot of artifacts in the fast motion of the CSI opening. I don't know if even a full 19.4Mbps would make the CSI intro look clean...
post #67 of 8248 Old 01-16-2004, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I *really* paid attention to CSI last night.

I had pixelization:
1) During opening credits
2) Whenever a "name" appeared on screen after the first commercial break (like "producer Joe Sixpack", "director Jane Doe", etc. )
3) Whenever there was a lot of bright blue or red. Which CSI uses a lot when they go to blacklight. The scene with them scanning the bed broke apart for me a couple time.
4) Ending credits when text was appearing.

Now I can say that I watch the NFL games and with all that fast motion, no breakups at all really other then maybe when a fast moving graphic goes across the screen (and that's *before* the increase). I don't remember this many pixelization issues when I watch Cold Case either. I don't watch much CBS other then that but I'm going to try to watch something else to see if maybe it's just CSI?

Scott
post #68 of 8248 Old 01-16-2004, 09:49 AM

In addition to the artifacting in the CSI opening, did it completely break up (pause) in several places for anyone else? I'm trying to determine whether I'm having some problems with my FusionHDTV card, or if everyone is getting occasional pauses/breakups on WWMT.
post #69 of 8248 Old 01-16-2004, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Wolffpack
Here ya go. The top is for WZZM, the middle is towards Gun Lake for the WOTV, WWMT, WOOD and such, and the bottom is for WGVU. Hope this helps.

Well, the attachment didn't work, how about this:

Remember the Royal 17 was designed for the analog station frequencies in Grand Rapids not the Digital. The only reason it works well for our digital stations is pure luck. To use it, you have to re-assigned the antennas. It has 3,8 17,41 on one antenna and two another small antennas (one for 35,54 and one for 13) Because the digital frequencies are close to the analog stations, it works pretty good. The 3,8,41,17 antenna can be used for digital 2,7,19,20 and the small 35/54 antenna has to be used for WZZM-D (39) not WGVU. Use the top long antenna designed for WZZM analog(13) for WGVU (11) digital Again, is it optimized for Grand Rapids/Battle Creek/Kalamazoo Analog frequencies. But it just so happens that they are close to other area digital stations.
post #70 of 8248 Old 01-17-2004, 07:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone notice no left audio on 3.1?
post #71 of 8248 Old 01-17-2004, 09:28 PM

Anyone still experiencing audio dropouts on WWMT from time to time?
post #72 of 8248 Old 01-18-2004, 04:32 PM

Yes, I had quite a few audio dropouts during the game, PQ was great though. The audio portion was starting to get a little annoying... of course I was getting a little annoyed already by the Colts performance.
post #73 of 8248 Old 01-18-2004, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Other then CSI I haven't really had any pixelization or video dropouts. The game today was fantastic. Only pixelization I got was during a couple commercials.

Haven't had any audio problems myself other then a couple "pops" during the game but there were only a few, nothing major. Maybe my box is handling the 5.1 better. I have a Hughes E-86.

Scott
post #74 of 8248 Old 01-18-2004, 07:07 PM

The audio dropouts during the game were getting quite annoying. I noticed my receiver being in Full Auto mode was clicking several times during the audio dropouts trying to lock on the 5.1 signal, so I set it on manual 5.1 digital. That helped - it is now dropping out for 1 or 2 seconds instead of 3 or 4. The receiver isn't clicking anymore trying to lock back on the signal. There are still way to many audio dropouts though. Pixelation seemed to be the worst in the beginning of the game and during commercials.

I noticed the picture looked better and better as the game went on. Obviously one reason was that it stopped snowing, but the other reason appeared to be when the sun went down and the stadium lights took over. HDTV seems to me to have a much better and more 3d look at night with synthetic lighting. Maybe that's why I thought Monday Night Football looked so good.

I doubt the audio problems have anything to do with HDTV receiver, because I don't get these audio dropouts on other HD channels.
post #75 of 8248 Old 01-19-2004, 07:03 PM

Is Hughes a good brand? I have no idea what I have, it's in my Sony TV so I imagine it's a Sony something or other?
post #76 of 8248 Old 01-22-2004, 06:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I wish WOOD could broadcast UPN HD programming on off hours. That would be really great!
post #77 of 8248 Old 01-22-2004, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
It would be great to have those UPN shows that are available in HDTV to actually be broadcast by WOOD in HDTV. I live in the Lansing area so have the WILX NBC affiliate available for NBC too but there's no digital UPN affiliate besides WOOD. WKBD is just too far away for reliable signal.
post #78 of 8248 Old 01-23-2004, 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by mlcarson
It would be great to have those UPN shows that are available in HDTV to actually be broadcast by WOOD in HDTV.

It's not gonna happen until WOOD gets another channel to dedicate to WXSP. There's nowhere near enough bandwidth to have two HD programs crammed into one channel.
post #79 of 8248 Old 01-30-2004, 06:10 AM

For us poor saps that can't pick up WWMT OTA, does anyone know the procedure to obtaining a waiver so I can get DirectTV's feed of CBS? Begging and pleading is not underneath me.

CBS is the only channel I can not pick up OTA and it would be oh so sweet to get this in HD!

Steve
post #80 of 8248 Old 01-30-2004, 06:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by ryangs
It's not gonna happen until WOOD gets another channel to dedicate to WXSP. There's nowhere near enough bandwidth to have two HD programs crammed into one channel.

And rumor has it that the 2 HD shows on UPN are not renewed for next year. Dont know if UPN is going to have other HD programming or not.

Would it not be possible for WOOD (or any channel that owns another like this) to record the HD shows and air them off hours on their main channel? Is there a legal problem doing this?
post #81 of 8248 Old 01-30-2004, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by elbee
For us poor saps that can't pick up WWMT OTA, does anyone know the procedure to obtaining a waiver so I can get DirectTV's feed of CBS? Begging and pleading is not underneath me.

CBS is the only channel I can not pick up OTA and it would be oh so sweet to get this in HD!

Steve

Call or send them an email. I'm sure it's way to late for SuperBowl since that is in 2 days.

Scott
post #82 of 8248 Old 01-30-2004, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:

There is also a "apply for waiver" link on DirecTV's address broker page, but here is the twist:

Can you pick up WWMT NTSC Channel 3 OTA?

If you can get the analog signal (at Grade B) you don't qualify for the distant. If you are PREDICTED to get the analog signal at Grade B you won't initially qualify, but you can beg and plead for a technician to come out and prove that you cannot get the analog signal. (Which is so rare I've never heard of anyone getting distants that way.)

As far as DirecTV and the governing law SHVIA is concerned, CBS-HD is just another distant network. It doesn't matter if it is HD and you can't get local HD. If you are in any CBS station's NTSC coverage (other than CBS O&Os) you are out of luck.

JL
post #83 of 8248 Old 01-30-2004, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The current laws surely handcuff the consumer that is for sure.
post #84 of 8248 Old 01-30-2004, 01:38 PM

No I can't receive the analog signal at signal B although I am not sure if it is "predicted" that I can or not (I live in an apartment so I can only use an indoor antenna).

I will look for that "apply for waiver" on DirectTV's site and see what I can do but I won't get my hopes up.

Thanks for the responses.

Steve
post #85 of 8248 Old 01-30-2004, 03:02 PM

Has anyone heard of WWMT granting waiver requests to receive the national CBS HD feed? I just filed for one and one for FOX HD as well through Direct TV.....45 days to wait...no Direct TV Superbowl for me...I sure hope the weather is just right!!!
post #86 of 8248 Old 01-30-2004, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Somehow I doubt they would but it would be nice. I ony get WWMT around 40% so it is very weak.
post #87 of 8248 Old 01-30-2004, 11:43 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
No I can't receive the analog signal at signal B although I am not sure if it is "predicted" that I can or not (I live in an apartment so I can only use an indoor antenna).

For channel 3 (actually any analog channel 2-6) Grade B is defined as 47 dBu. That will be tested on an outdoor antenna at 9.1 meters (30 ft). The computer model assumes the same receiver parameters - outdoors at 30ft. SHVIA doesn't care that you live in an apartment (although OTARD may help you put up an antenna, on the private portions of the property you rent/lease).

47 dBu / Grade B is not a lot of signal. For WWMT that predicted reach is about 65 miles from Gun Lake. Grand Rapids actually falls into the higher Grade A (and portions are "City Grade"). I wouldn't count on getting a waiver based on tested signal level.

I've attached a picture of WWMT's coverage, not taking exact terrain into account, just the big circles. It should give you some idea of the area WWMT has protected by SHVIA.

JL
LL
post #88 of 8248 Old 02-01-2004, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 2886 Post(s)
Liked: 1334
amazing. WWMT-HD is broadcasting super bowl in DD 5.1 not DD stereo as their previous HD broadcasts. Enjoying the show today on an HTPC with SyncMaster 172w(ide) 16:10 widescreen LCD monitor. Audio is ported through Cambridge Soundworks DTT3500 digital desktop theater. Softwre upgrade has boosted audio output as well. Fusion II is reporting 83% 16.7db. no freeze ups or other anomalies thus far today. enjoy the show!
post #89 of 8248 Old 02-01-2004, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

CBS only does 5.1 for sporting events and live "big" events (i.e. Grammy's). CSI and so forth are not in 5.1. As reported earlier in this thread WWMT upgraded their audio to 5.1 2-3 weeks ago and it was running during the playoff games.

Anyway, I agree, sounding and looking great. Only a couple freeze ups so far for me.

Scott
post #90 of 8248 Old 02-01-2004, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Awesome job WWMT! Almost perfect broadcast from start to finish. Only a couple audio pops and only a couple video dropouts. Very clean and looked fantastic. Had several guests very impressed with HD.

I wrote WWMT to tell them how great a job they did. I suggest that others do the same. Let's give them some good feedback.

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page