San Francisco, CA - OTA - Page 499 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 423Likes

post #14941 of 17836 Old 04-15-2017, 09:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by 888CALLFCC View Post
Simple reminder. You had the tv channel on 30 right ?
If you enter 9 or 9.1 .... it will not work.
Yes, I was on RF30, although my TV still has the 9.x PSIP channels in its memory from some previous time when I was able to receive KQED.

And I verified that I can get 9.x in my office. But not in my living room, where the TV is much bigger. (And there's a comfy couch. )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14942 of 17836 Old 04-16-2017, 12:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Movies! Promo on KTVU 2.1

Has anyone spotted Promos for Movies on KTVU 2.1?

There was one just before the Ten O'clock News (10:PM, there are so many Newscasts now) Saturday night 4/15/2017.

"Over the Air Channel 2.3 and Comcast Channel 195" was added to the Promo.

Wrong aspect ratio related?

SHF
post #14943 of 17836 Old 04-16-2017, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1753 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by wintertime View Post
Yes, I was on RF30, although my TV still has the 9.x PSIP channels in its memory from some previous time when I was able to receive KQED.

And I verified that I can get 9.x in my office. But not in my living room, where the TV is much bigger. (And there's a comfy couch. )

Have we been through your reception issues with you before? Multipath is a major problem in the city with all the buildings. Indoor antennas are already at a big disadvantage and then you add multipath to it. You probably know your only real solution is an outdoor antenna.

Chuck

Last edited by Calaveras; 04-16-2017 at 05:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14944 of 17836 Old 04-16-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras View Post
Have we through your reception issues with you before? Multipath is a major problem in the city with all the buildings. Indoor antennas are already at a big disadvantage and then you add multipath to it. You probably know your only real solution is an outdoor antenna.
Thanks, but I don't use OTA often enough to warrant putting up an outside antenna. I have no tall buildings near me (all single-story in my area), and am away from the hills, so I have no multipath problems and clear shots to San Bruno, Sutro, and Monument. My only problem with receiving KQED is being 40 miles away from Sutro with a tabletop antenna. As I mentioned, I can get their signal in my office, where it apparently sneaks in through a window. Just not in my living room.
post #14945 of 17836 Old 04-16-2017, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks, but I don't use OTA often enough to warrant putting up an outside antenna. I have no tall buildings near me (all single-story in my area), and am away from the hills, so I have no multipath problems and clear shots to San Bruno, Sutro, and Monument. My only problem with receiving KQED is being 40 miles away from Sutro with a tabletop antenna. As I mentioned, I can get their signal in my office, where it apparently sneaks in through a window. Just not in my living room.

Okay. Since your location says "San Francisco" I thought you were in the city. You just have weak signals inside the house with possible multipath from indoor reflections which is common.

Chuck
post #14946 of 17836 Old 04-16-2017, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Okay. Since your location says "San Francisco" I thought you were in the city.
Are you referring to the "Location" given under my username and "avatar" on my postings--the text that says "San Francisco Bay Area"? I presume that's the default for people posting in this forum, unless they change it to something more specific. I live in the South Bay.
post #14947 of 17836 Old 04-16-2017, 10:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 879
Quote:
Are you referring to the "Location" given under my username and "avatar" on my postings--the text that says "San Francisco Bay Area"? I presume that's the default for people posting in this forum, unless they change it to something more specific. I live in the South Bay.
There is no default for your location. You provide that information. It is located in your profile location. You might notice mine says Rohnert Park. That is what I provided. If you provide nothing, nothing will be there.

Bobby 

post #14948 of 17836 Old 04-16-2017, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post
There is no default for your location. You provide that information. It is located in your profile location. You might notice mine says Rohnert Park. That is what I provided. If you provide nothing, nothing will be there.
Yes, I've seen that some people have specific cities as their location. Mine is more general and says "San Francisco BAY AREA."
post #14949 of 17836 Old 04-17-2017, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I was looking at the current configuration of Sutro Tower TV antennas and how they might change. It looks like it could be a much smaller job than the 2009 digital transition. My guess is they need to take down two antennas and add one. Here's the current configuration:

Shared Ant 1 - KPIX 29, KRON 38, KTVU 44
Shared Ant 2 - KQED 30, KMTP 32, KCNS 38, KCSM 43
Ant 3 - KBCW 45
Ant 4 - KFSF 34
Ant 5 - KOFY 19
Ant 6 - KGO 7

KOFY and KMTP are shutting down their transmitters and KRON is moving to 7. KBCW probably can't use their antenna on their new channel 28. I believe the shared antennas are broadband antennas.

KBCW (28) could move to Shared Ant 1 and KTVU (31) can remain on Shared Ant 1.

KCNS (32) and KCSM (27) can probably remain on their current Shared Ant 2 on their new channels.

The KOFY (19) and the KBCW (45) antennas can be removed. Those are side mounted antennas and should be easy to remove.

KRON (7) could take over the KGO (7) antenna.

A new KGO (12) antenna needs to be installed. KGO might not be happy with a side mounted antenna so I don't know where a new channel 12 antenna might be located.

Bottom line: Two antennas come down and one goes up.

In the next few months as moving stations file for construction permits we should find out.

Chuck
post #14950 of 17836 Old 04-17-2017, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
I was looking at the current configuration of Sutro Tower TV antennas and how they might change. It looks like it could be a much smaller job than the 2009 digital transition. My guess is they need to take down two antennas and add one. Here's the current configuration:

Shared Ant 1 - KPIX 29, KRON 38, KTVU 44
Shared Ant 2 - KQED 30, KMTP 32, KCNS 38, KCSM 43
Ant 3 - KBCW 45
Ant 4 - KFSF 34
Ant 5 - KOFY 19
Ant 6 - KGO 7

KOFY and KMTP are shutting down their transmitters and KRON is moving to 7. KBCW probably can't use their antenna on their new channel 28. I believe the shared antennas are broadband antennas.

KBCW (28) could move to Shared Ant 1 and KTVU (31) can remain on Shared Ant 1.

KCNS (32) and KCSM (27) can probably remain on their current Shared Ant 2 on their new channels.

The KOFY (19) and the KBCW (45) antennas can be removed. Those are side mounted antennas and should be easy to remove.

KRON (7) could take over the KGO (7) antenna.

A new KGO (12) antenna needs to be installed. KGO might not be happy with a side mounted antenna so I don't know where a new channel 12 antenna might be located.

Bottom line: Two antennas come down and one goes up.

In the next few months as moving stations file for construction permits we should find out.

Chuck
KCSM is NOT on a shared antenna.
post #14951 of 17836 Old 04-17-2017, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kenney View Post
I received a note from my old boss today saying that he'd been having some interesting conversations with you. You've been talking to the KGO Chief Engineer.
I believe I have also been having an email dialog with the same engineer at KGO. He thinks it might be a multipath problem and suggests I try moving my antenna a few feet. That would be difficult without completely remounting and adding cable and possibly a preamp. Apparently the problem is affecting more than just me here in the south bay. (lifespeed's problem sounds like mine), but I'm not confident anything can be done with the transmitter on Mt. Allison anyway. It's most likely interference from the repositioned KNTV antennas.
post #14952 of 17836 Old 04-17-2017, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1665 Post(s)
Liked: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by wndhh1 View Post
KCSM is NOT on a shared antenna.
The Sutro tower website indicates that they are.

http://sutrotower.com/about-the-tower/

And they certified under penalty of perjury that they were to the FCC:

https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/da...8259a&goBack=N

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #14953 of 17836 Old 04-17-2017, 04:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 879
I'd love to see KNTV move it's antenna to Sutro. I have issues from San Bruno while I never had them from Loma Prieta, even in Rohnert Park.

Bobby 

post #14954 of 17836 Old 04-17-2017, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 2983 Post(s)
Liked: 2749
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFischer1 View Post
Success!

I sent the two photos with the "480i SD 4:3" shown as the stream aspect ratio and at 15:15 3/30/2017 I checked and KTVU had changed it to the correct 16:9.

It's like poking the 900 # Gorilla KQED Inc. to stop marking ALL SD programs on KQEH as HD. You just need to know where to poke.

Movies! knew that they were sending KTVU a 16:9 stream and I gave them proof that it was going out over the air as 4:3.

Now Larry, what are the other incorrectly marked streams that have a 4:3 aspect ratio instead of the correct 16:9?

SHF
Thank you for poking the bear that is Movies! As you may recall, I tried, unsuccessfully, to get the folks at KTVU to send the correct aspect ratio many months ago. They just kept coming up with excuses like I was crazy or my TV was incorrectly set, or both. Even after I sent them the stream data showing the 4:3 code in the aspect ratio, and telling them all they had to do was change it to 16:9, still, they refused to believe it was their fault (I used to be and supervise technical folks, so I know this to be a common failing, the inability to accept that they are wrong). "It looks fine here" on their brand new 16:9 monitors.

So, after months of not watching the channel, one day I was cruising by and noticed a 16:9 picture ... thanks to you! Kudos and Salutations!

Last edited by RayGuy; 04-17-2017 at 05:02 PM.
post #14955 of 17836 Old 04-17-2017, 05:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post
I'd love to see KNTV move it's antenna to Sutro. I have issues from San Bruno while I never had them from Loma Prieta, even in Rohnert Park.

I would too because my path to Mt. San Bruno is poor. I don't think the FCC is allowing expansion of any part of the service area because of the repack and that would happen if KNTV moved to Sutro unless they ran less power. KMAX is moving to another tower just a couple miles away and had to request 545KW, down from 1MW because the service area would have expanded in one direction. I got the idea that stations would be allowed to apply for these sorts of changes after the repack which is a long time off.

One of the issue with KNTV is that the antenna is about 300' lower than KGO.

Chuck
post #14956 of 17836 Old 04-17-2017, 05:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by gone hiking View Post
I believe I have also been having an email dialog with the same engineer at KGO. He thinks it might be a multipath problem and suggests I try moving my antenna a few feet. That would be difficult without completely remounting and adding cable and possibly a preamp. Apparently the problem is affecting more than just me here in the south bay. (lifespeed's problem sounds like mine), but I'm not confident anything can be done with the transmitter on Mt. Allison anyway. It's most likely interference from the repositioned KNTV antennas.
I have two completely separate antennae and tuners with fairly different characteristics. While tuned to KGO RF35 repeater, I get the same problem on both antenna. I can put up an instance of each antenna/tuner on my TV (I use an HTPC) and view the breakups occur on both antenna simultaneously. It is extremely rare for one antenna to pixelate when the other does not. The antenna are separated by a couple feet vertically, and aimed in different directions 45 degrees apart with the Yagi pointed at Mt. Sutro and the bowtie aimed towards Mt. Allison.

I would think if this were a multipath problem there would be some differences in reception between the two antennae. I'm not sure a single reply to the topic of the KGO repeater has indicated some people get good reception from it.

Why can I receive all the other bay area stations without issue, while KGO is a seemingly unsolvable problem only 12 miles from my house?

Lifespeed

91XG Yagi for San Francisco, DB4e bowtie for Fremont
SiliconDust HDHR4-2US network tuners, one per antenna
Media server PC running Emby
TV Fool report

Last edited by lifespeed; 04-17-2017 at 05:12 PM.
post #14957 of 17836 Old 04-17-2017, 08:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifespeed View Post
Why can I receive all the other bay area stations without issue, while KGO is a seemingly unsolvable problem only 12 miles from my house?

Is there some reason why you don't have a VHF antenna to receive KGO on 7? If you can receive Sutro UHF there is no reason why you can't receive KGO RF 7.

I'm 110 miles from Sutro Tower. The signals have to pass over the top of Mt. Diablo and a low ridge 1/2 mile from here (2 edge path). I receive KGO better than 90% of the time. A friend of mine 5 miles north of here using a Winegard YA-1713 receives KGO essentially 100%. It boggles my mind that anyone in the Bay Area has trouble with KGO RF 7. The channel 35 translator sounds like it has a problem of some kind.

Chuck
post #14958 of 17836 Old 04-17-2017, 08:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
The channel 35 translator sounds like it has a problem of some kind.

Chuck
Proven IMHO by my tests and a member who looked at the ATSC stream in detail with tools that he developed.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/45-loc...l#post52051233

SHF
post #14959 of 17836 Old 04-17-2017, 08:58 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked: 2586
Quote:
Is there some reason why you don't have a VHF antenna to receive KGO on 7? If you can receive Sutro UHF there is no reason why you can't receive KGO RF 7.

I'm 110 miles from Sutro Tower. The signals have to pass over the top of Mt. Diablo and a low ridge 1/2 mile from here (2 edge path). I receive KGO better than 90% of the time. A friend of mine 5 miles north of here using a Winegard YA-1713 receives KGO essentially 100%. It boggles my mind that anyone in the Bay Area has trouble with KGO RF 7. The channel 35 translator sounds like it has a problem of some kind.

Chuck
We have a 30+ year old Winegard antenna 30'AGL on our roof (held in place with 3 sets of guy wires) and KGO RF7 is one of our strongest and most consistent channels. The antenna is a 70 element VHF-UHF-FM antenna and we are about 55 miles with excellent LOS to Sutro and San Bruno.
post #14960 of 17836 Old 04-17-2017, 11:19 PM

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Quote:
KUVS and KTFK are both transmitting two 1080i streams and two 480i streams. They look okay. Isn't KSTS doing the same thing? KSBW and KION are both transmitting two HD streams and one SD stream. They okay too. There have been a lot of improvements since the analog shut off. KQED should be able to pull it off now.

Is it supposed to happen soon?

Chuck
Hi,

If a station that sold out in the auction finds another station to carry them as as SD channel, then do the cable networks still need to carry them as a HD channel if that is what they are feeding them via fiber currently?

Also, don't forget K03IC-D will also be locating on Sutro if I can find a full power that is going off the air to work with me.

Blessings,
Keith
post #14961 of 17836 Old 04-17-2017, 11:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Here's a couple of photos of the top of Sutro Tower. The first one, taken in 2009, has labeling pointing out who uses the various antennas. Yes, KCNS definitely shares a antenna.

Since this photo was taken one more antenna was added for KEMO. I've added a fuzzier shot, taken from my living room window, showing the white KEMO antenna on the north east tower.

Larry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sutroant.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	206.9 KB
ID:	2089417   Click image for larger version

Name:	sutronew32.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	2089425  

My complete SF Bay Area DTV Station Lists: http://www.larrykenney.com/sfonair.html
Lots of Broadcasting links and information: http://www.larrykenney.com/broadcast.html
Live reception scans from my HD Home Run receivers: http://www.larrykenney.com/hdhr/
Photos and info on my antennas: http://www.larrykenney.com/tvantennas.html
post #14962 of 17836 Old 04-17-2017, 11:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkpm View Post
Also, don't forget K03IC-D will also be locating on Sutro if I can find a full power that is going off the air to work with me.
Blessings,
Keith
What type of antenna would you use for channel 3 up there on Sutro?

Larry

My complete SF Bay Area DTV Station Lists: http://www.larrykenney.com/sfonair.html
Lots of Broadcasting links and information: http://www.larrykenney.com/broadcast.html
Live reception scans from my HD Home Run receivers: http://www.larrykenney.com/hdhr/
post #14963 of 17836 Old 04-18-2017, 12:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Is there some reason why you don't have a VHF antenna to receive KGO on 7?
Before I put up the antenna I looked at what was available and concluded there was not a compelling reason to put up a VHF antenna. Everything was available on UHF - at least in theory. I could not foresee the KGO RF35 translator would be such a turkey.

Suggestions for a high performing diplexer and VHF antenna are welcome. It seems unlikely KGO will do anything to fix their transmitter.

Lifespeed

91XG Yagi for San Francisco, DB4e bowtie for Fremont
SiliconDust HDHR4-2US network tuners, one per antenna
Media server PC running Emby
TV Fool report
post #14964 of 17836 Old 04-18-2017, 02:58 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1665 Post(s)
Liked: 704
Quote:
I would too because my path to Mt. San Bruno is poor. I don't think the FCC is allowing expansion of any part of the service area because of the repack and that would happen if KNTV moved to Sutro unless they ran less power. KMAX is moving to another tower just a couple miles away and had to request 545KW, down from 1MW because the service area would have expanded in one direction. I got the idea that stations would be allowed to apply for these sorts of changes after the repack which is a long time off.
Stations which are repacked will be allowed to file expansions in the first and second priority windows, but not in the 90-day initial filing period we're in now. For all non-repacked stations, the freeze is still in effect.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #14965 of 17836 Old 04-18-2017, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
The Sutro tower website indicates that they are.

http://sutrotower.com/about-the-tower/

And they certified under penalty of perjury that they were to the FCC:

https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/da...8259a&goBack=N

- Trip
yep you are correct. they originally were not when they moved to Sutro.
post #14966 of 17836 Old 04-18-2017, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifespeed View Post
Suggestions for a high performing diplexer and VHF antenna are welcome. It seems unlikely KGO will do anything to fix their transmitter.

I don't know what your criteria for high performance is but the Tin Lee allows you to have DC pass on the ports if you want preamps ahead of the diplexer. Other than that I don't think there's much difference between the inexpensive diplexers out there. With KRON going to 7 you'll have to add a VHF antenna. You have lots of time though.

Chuck
post #14967 of 17836 Old 04-18-2017, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkpm View Post

Do you envision the K03IC antenna being at the top of the tower?

Chuck
post #14968 of 17836 Old 04-18-2017, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Quote:
Do you envision the K03IC antenna being at the top of the tower?

Chuck

Eric of Sutro mentioned using the old channel 5 feedline. I applied for as high as Eric of Sutro would let me apply for. I'm meeting Eric at NAB at 11:00 AM at the Jampro booth. Evidently lots of stations are asking for quotes to buy antennas but no one is buying yet. So hopefully we can work out something with KEMO or KOFY or KMTP to share K03IC-D and can get our order in for the K03IC-D antenna ASAP! Please pray! KTSF has already found out home to broadcast from going forward.

Best Regards,
Keith
post #14969 of 17836 Old 04-18-2017, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

If you're interested in reading about the reasoning behind changing some channels over others and what the difference is between "zombie" and "lowfer" stations, check out this article from "TV Technology": http://www.tvtechnology.com/expertis...madness/280853

Larry

post #14970 of 17836 Old 04-18-2017, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

FYI --- I just read the dates for the channel transition in this area:
Transition Phase 8: Testing Begins: 1/18/2020 Phase Ends: 3/13/2020
Transition Phase 9: Testing Begins: 3/14/2020 Phase Ends: 5/1/2020

Seven stations are in Phase 8, 14 are in Phase 9.

Phase 8: KKPX 14, KSTS 19, KSPX 22, KCSM 27, KTVU 31, KCNS 32 and KTXL 33
Phase 9: KRCB 5, KRON 7, KCBA 11, KGO 12, KNTV 13, KEZT 14, KMUM 19, KDTV 20, KDTV-CD and KFTL both to 21, KAXT 22, KQCA 23, KMAX 24 and KBCW 28

Larry

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page