San Francisco, CA - OTA - Page 593 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 433Likes

post #17761 of 17914 Old 11-13-2019, 07:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdvegas View Post
If you find yourself, Larry, chatting with an engineer from HC2 KQRO-45 and KEMO-50, inquire when they are going to resolve their issues in Las Vegas. The control 4 or 5 LPTV station in Vegas, and are ripe with useless colorbars, frozen images, and such. It's been ongoing for the past year when they acquired the stations.

If you have a link to HC2, that would be appreciated, as well.

https://hc2broadcasting.com/
rdvegas likes this.

Antennas - Antennacraft MXU59 UHF antenna & home-brew version of Antennacraft VHF Y-10-7-13 antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Channel Master 7777 30dB pre-amp.
Tuners - Zenith DTT901 converter box; AirSpy HF+ sdr; Silicon Dust HDHomerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17762 of 17914 Old 11-13-2019, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob View Post
Don't care now. Didn't affect what we need; 2,4,5,7,11,36,44,54,9,60 etc Thought it might.

Larry, didn't mean that to sound ungrateful.

Larry Kenney likes this.
post #17763 of 17914 Old 11-13-2019, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdvegas View Post
If you find yourself, Larry, chatting with an engineer from HC2 KQRO-45 and KEMO-50, inquire when they are going to resolve their issues in Las Vegas. The control 4 or 5 LPTV station in Vegas, and are ripe with useless colorbars, frozen images, and such. It's been ongoing for the past year when they acquired the stations.

If you have a link to HC2, that would be appreciated, as well.
I don't know any of the engineers at HC2 nor KEMO, but the engineer for KQRO is available right here. If you see Keith KKPM, he's the engineer for that station.

Mrradiohead55 provided us with a link to HC2. Thanks.

Larry
rdvegas likes this.

My complete SF Bay Area DTV Station Lists: http://www.larrykenney.com/sfonair.html
Lots of Broadcasting links and information: http://www.larrykenney.com/broadcast.html
Live reception scans from my HD Home Run receivers: http://www.larrykenney.com/hdhr/
Photos and info on my antennas: http://www.larrykenney.com/tvantennas.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17764 of 17914 Old 11-14-2019, 10:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Stations "MAY" care about OTA

I am starting to see a trend for Sutro stations realizing that the current AUX transmitter antenna may not be a good solution and are asking for and getting permission to use other antennas higher up during the repack work replacing all the antennas on the top. KRON has gotten permission and KPIX is now asking.

Maybe KGO will join the group and some who have lost reception may get it back. I noted that KGO still had words about a temporary RF 7 antenna in their last Form 399 submission.

----------------------------------

Also I see that the FCC has too much money and are funding new ANALOG transmitters with new antennas. Translators are also included.

I did not know that they were included in the repack with FCC money from the auction.

Very strange!

SHF
post #17765 of 17914 Old 11-15-2019, 04:05 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1693 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFischer1 View Post
Also I see that the FCC has too much money and are funding new ANALOG transmitters with new antennas. Translators are also included.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #17766 of 17914 Old 11-15-2019, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1762 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:

I did not know that they were included in the repack with FCC money from the auction.

Huh? Some examples with links please?

Chuck
post #17767 of 17914 Old 11-15-2019, 11:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras View Post
Huh? Some examples with links please?

Chuck
I am basing that only on the FCC filings of Form 399.

Here is one Service: "Analog TV Translator"

https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/fo...37a1a&goBack=N

Grand Total

Predetermined
Cost Estimate
Estimated Cost
Actual Cost
Total for all systems
$158,122.00
$173,235.00
$0.00

It reads just like a normal HDTV station cost estimate.

Here is one Service: "Digital TV Translator"

https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/fo...67bbf&goBack=N

Grand Total

Predetermined
Cost Estimate
Estimated Cost
Actual Cost
Total for all systems
$130,984.50
$146,097.50
$0.00

Here is one Service: "Low Power Analog TV"

https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/fo...d14d7&goBack=N

Grand Total

Predetermined
Cost Estimate
Estimated Cost
Actual Cost
Total for all systems
$233,492.50
$194,480.00
$0.00

--------------------------

I do not know the real intent of the repack concerning these stations, but the repack is starting to wind down and it just may be that the money taken in is much greater that the amounts the stations are requesting. It may be that it never was the intent to deprive viewers of NTSC programming or not having a translator that they can receive.

Consider many viewers to be like Car owners in Cuba, very old NTSC sets and still are providing TV.

--------------------------

As you know how, I will provide instructions for others.

Go to:

https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/da...AppSearch.html

Select 11/13/2019 to 11/14/2019

Do not select 11/14/2019 to 11/15/2019, the FM Stations are all stilling being dumped into the TV set (Look at the first URL!).

Select: "Include Amendments"

Chose Community State: "California"

Click on "Search" and look for Bay Area Cities.

Yes selections to eliminate the FM filings can be made, but usually the FM noise is not included.

SHF
post #17768 of 17914 Old 11-16-2019, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I do not know the real intent of the repack concerning these stations, but the repack is starting to wind down and it just may be that the money taken in is much greater that the amounts the stations are requesting. It may be that it never was the intent to deprive viewers of NTSC programming or not having a translator that they can receive.
Maybe Trip can fill us in on what's going on because I don't know. Looks like the FCC has opened up some sort of filing window for low power stations. I looked at the list for Arizona and there's something like 90 filings of Form 399 or Form 399 Eligibility in the last week. I don't think it's for new analog stations. There might be some analog to digital transition filings.

Chuck
post #17769 of 17914 Old 11-16-2019, 08:05 PM

LPTV and translator stations have been filing for reimbursement, as scheduled.

The FCC is not buying analog equipment. Analog stations can file for reimbursement to build their digital displacement facilities.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #17770 of 17914 Old 11-18-2019, 03:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Guys

Where is the latest updated info on what channel is broadcasting from where and on Aux power, etc?

thx

bob
post #17771 of 17914 Old 11-18-2019, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Guys

Where is the latest updated info on what channel is broadcasting from where and on Aux power, etc?

thx

bob
Your guess is as good as anybody for Sutro and many other stations.

As the Sutro arm with KGO and KBCW has been spotted with workers taking it down, KGO and KBCW must not be using their main antennas.

For KGO I noted a plan for a temp antenna high up, that was said to be canceled but the words are still in their Form 399.

KRON and KPIX have received permission to use an antenna higher up than the AUX antennas so KGO might still go for a temp antenna higher up than the AUX antennas but VHF Hi is a big antenna.

The Sutro arm with KPIX / KRON / KTVU I suspect is next up as KTVU has become hard for me to receive without errors already. KRON I have no need for and KPIX comes in normally.

The third Sutro arm work likely will have started on soon.

---------------------------

The RF 28 stations and KNTV plus the stations on Mt. Allison have a lot of work to do, KTLN may be up soon on their new frequency at higher power according to one of Larry's posts.

The bottom line, if you cannot receive a program you wish, get one of your paperback books out and read it until service is restored.

We are not party to Sutro's master plan and the plan for any other repack station.

Trying to track what you wish I would consider impossible.

You could try and read the FCC filings, I posted how to do that the other day. That may give some clues.

Entering a particular station id and not entering any date range would give you all the filings for that station (Perhaps back to the beginning of time).

Larry's repack list might help.

https://larrykenney.com/sfonair3.html

SHF
post #17772 of 17914 Old 11-18-2019, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks

Trying to keep up mainly with Channels 2,5, & 7 at the moment. Only getting about 50% now. san jose 95133

bob
post #17773 of 17914 Old 11-18-2019, 04:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks

Trying to keep up mainly with Channels 2,5, & 7 at the moment. Only getting about 50% now. san jose 95133

bob
KTVU VC 2 RF 44 as I said must be on their AUX antenna.

KPIX VC 5 RF 29 may also be on their AUX antenna but I have no problems.

KGO VC 7 RF 7 has been reported as a problem to some people but right now I am getting SS at 100%, SQ at 98% and SQ at 100%.

For KTVU VC 2 RF 26 I am getting SS at 100%, SQ at 90% and SMQ at 100% so that might be an option.

For KGO VC 2 RF 35 I am getting SS at 100%, SQ at 98% and SMQ at 100% so that also might be an option.

Do you know which signal you are receiving for KTVU and KGO, I can select which one is the best.

I put my TERK HDTVA and a dedicated tuner in my East room with lots of glass so the signals from Mt. Allison have a better chance of being received. It's slightly better than my CM4228HD pointed towards Sutro.

I currently have six (6) HDHR tuners on my network plus two tuners in my HTPC and another tuner in my HDTV.

Your zip code should have reception from Mt. Allison with an antenna pointed in that direction.

SHF
post #17774 of 17914 Old 11-18-2019, 07:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks

bob
OK, report on KTVU VC 2 RF 44 and RF 26 for the 5 PM news. Sunnyvale, 94087.

RF 44 is captured by my CM4228HD / Low Noise Preamp / Eight (8) way distribution amplifier by a HDHR4-2US tuner on my Ethernet network. (Sutro)

RF 26 is captured by a Terk HDTVa antenna in my East facing second level room with big windows feeding again a HDHR4-2US tuner that is connected to my Ethernet network using the 110 V AC Power Lines (WHAT!). (Mt. Allison)

https://www.avsforum.com/photopost/s...hp?cat=2165469

---------------------------------

I am mainly interested in the weather, KTVU has so many newscasts making so much money that they can pay their Weather Consulate's for their best products. The wind speed graphics are great showing where the greatest wind speeds will be for the upcoming PSPS. (Unless you are color blind.)

The weather consulates merge the radar graphics with satellite graphics and the four (Five or more?) weather prediction computer runs for the entire earth four times each 24 hours.

The data from the GOES-17 sat is the state of the art for what can be observed, it's just not your B/W visible image no more Charle Brown. The full earth is available from around the entire earth.

https://www.ssec.wisc.edu/data/geo/i...est#/animation

It's great fun to look at the entire earth's weather in motion all over the globe.

---------------------------------

The capture file sizes are basically the same, 4,882,936 KB for RF 26 and 4,910,500 KB for RF 44.

I skipped the "Theater of the absurd" and had to ping pong between the two captures to get a clean weather report to watch.

So neither was perfect but much better than a few months ago.

I have dual captures set up for the Noon, 5 PM, 6 PM and 10 PM (And a repeat on KTVU+ RF 36 at 23:30).

The breakups may be due to airplanes landing at SFO which pass through both of the signal paths.

I can see people very unhappy with KTVU if they just have a HDTV fed by a "Joke" antenna.

SHF
post #17775 of 17914 Old 11-18-2019, 10:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
KTVU VC 2 RF 44 as I said must be on their AUX antenna.

KPIX VC 5 RF 29 may also be on their AUX antenna but I have no problems.

KGO VC 7 RF 7 has been reported as a problem to some people but right now I am getting SS at 100%, SQ at 98% and SQ at 100%.

For KTVU VC 2 RF 26 I am getting SS at 100%, SQ at 90% and SMQ at 100% so that might be an option.

For KGO VC 2 RF 35 I am getting SS at 100%, SQ at 98% and SMQ at 100% so that also might be an option.

Do you know which signal you are receiving for KTVU and KGO, I can select which one is the best.

I put my TERK HDTVA and a dedicated tuner in my East room with lots of glass so the signals from Mt. Allison have a better chance of being received. It's slightly better than my CM4228HD pointed towards Sutro.

I currently have six (6) HDHR tuners on my network plus two tuners in my HTPC and another tuner in my HDTV.

Your zip code should have reception from Mt. Allison with an antenna pointed in that direction.

SHF
Thanks, I'll have to check and take notes next time I'm at my friends. I know the Mt Allison? (closer) stations are stronger than the Sutro ones. I'm still getting up to speed on VC, etc. We moved the CM4228HD from the side of the building to on the roof and trying to dial it in didn't give us better signal strength. I think we actually lost 20-1 by doing so but I did change to a much longer coax, 75' vs 25'. How important is the cabling?

bob
post #17776 of 17914 Old 11-18-2019, 11:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks, I'll have to check and take notes next time I'm at my friends. I know the Mt Allison? (closer) stations are stronger than the Sutro ones. I'm still getting up to speed on VC, etc. We moved the CM4228HD from the side of the building to on the roof and trying to dial it in didn't give us better signal strength. I think we actually lost 20-1 by doing so but I did change to a much longer coax, 75' vs 25'. How important is the cabling?

bob
RG6 is the best cable you can use and is the most used. When my antenna installer gave me the bill he charged only by the number of connectors and every cable was 25% longer than needed.

Cable length of 75' suggests that an amp "might" be useful if you have several HDTVs and splitters which number are more important.

I told my antenna installer that an amp was needed and he provided a low noise preamp of a non common make from a store in Cupertino that I wished to visit but never did. He also got an eight (8) way splitter that I said NO NO NO as I tested my tuners. He then asked for the eight (8) way distribution that I was scarred to use fearing overload. I then said YES YES YES and still do. Very satisfied still.

One great point about the HDHR tuners is the on screen live display of Signal Strength, Signal Quality and Symbol Quality. Very useful for antenna pointing. But if you don't have an ethernet network, that is not an option.

When I have the time the antenna pointed at Mt. Allison will be checked to see if it is pointed in the best direction. I just need to take a laptop to next to the antenna.

-------------------------------------

Losing KOFY VC 20 RF 28 may be fixed when the new antenna and transmitter are lit up in the new few months on the new frequency. I have Signal Strength of 100% but Signal Quality of 42% which means NO RECEPTION. Don't blame the cable length, it may just be multipath. Move the antenna up / down / right / left / back / forward and you might get KOFY back but lose another station.

SHF
post #17777 of 17914 Old 11-18-2019, 11:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
RG6 is the best cable you can use and is the most used. When my antenna installer gave me the bill he charged only by the number of connectors and every cable was 25% longer than needed.

Cable length of 75' suggests that an amp "might" be useful if you have several HDTVs and splitters which number are more important.

I told my antenna installer that an amp was needed and he provided a low noise preamp of a non common make from a store in Cupertino that I wished to visit but never did. He also got an eight (8) way splitter that I said NO NO NO as I tested my tuners. He then asked for the eight (8) way distribution that I was scarred to use fearing overload. I then said YES YES YES and still do. Very satisfied still.

One great point about the HDHR tuners is the on screen live display of Signal Strength, Signal Quality and Symbol Quality. Very useful for antenna pointing. But if you don't have an ethernet network, that is not an option.

When I have the time the antenna pointed at Mt. Allison will be checked to see if it is pointed in the best direction. I just need to take a laptop to next to the antenna.

-------------------------------------

Losing KOFY VC 20 RF 28 may be fixed when the new antenna and transmitter are lit up in the new few months on the new frequency. I have Signal Strength of 100% but Signal Quality of 42% which means NO RECEPTION. Don't blame the cable length, it may just be multipath. Move the antenna up / down / right / left / back / forward and you might get KOFY back but lose another station.

SHF
Is it curious that channel 20 sub channels are coming in ( weak and pixelated) but at least something there with nothing on 20-1?
post #17778 of 17914 Old 11-19-2019, 07:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Is it curious that channel 20 sub channels are coming in ( weak and pixelated) but at least something there with nothing on 20-1?
ATSC 1.0 is a single stream with the sub channels all mixed up. So it's all or nothing. Now the tuner might be able to decode parts of the stream and present one or more of the sub streams.

If you look at the TSReader output on RabbitEars for RF 28, at the bottom the PID Usage Chart shows that PIDs 0x0051 and 0x0111 have longer lines indicating that they have larger parts of the stream than the other parts.

0x0111 is KOFY VC 20.1 video. As there is more data for it, there is more that can be messed up. Thus a tuner may not be able to present that stream.

0x0161 is This-TV VC 20.2 video. As the data rate is much smaller there is a much better chance that the tuner can decode enough to present parts of the stream.

https://www.rabbitears.info/screenca.../52887-0_0.htm

The ATSC 1.0 full stream from the transmitter is captured for TSReader to examine, I was able to capture a full stream ~ six months before the RabbitEars one, but just that once and not before or after.

Understanding the ATSC 1.0 data the transmitter is sending is a complex task. The TSReader output shows what is present, the ATSC 1.0 spec is needed to understand how it is done.

SHF
post #17779 of 17914 Old 11-19-2019, 07:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
ATSC 1.0 is a single stream with the sub channels all mixed up. So it's all or nothing. Now the tuner might be able to decode parts of the stream and present one or more of the sub streams.

If you look at the TSReader output on RabbitEars for RF 28, at the bottom the PID Usage Chart shows that PIDs 0x0051 and 0x0111 have longer lines indicating that they have larger parts of the stream than the other parts.

0x0111 is KOFY VC 20.1 video. As there is more data for it, there is more that can be messed up. Thus a tuner may not be able to present that stream.

0x0161 is This-TV VC 20.2 video. As the data rate is much smaller there is a much better chance that the tuner can decode enough to present parts of the stream.

https://www.rabbitears.info/screenca.../52887-0_0.htm

The ATSC 1.0 full stream from the transmitter is captured for TSReader to examine, I was able to capture a full stream ~ six months before the RabbitEars one, but just that once and not before or after.

Understanding the ATSC 1.0 data the transmitter is sending is a complex task. The TSReader output shows what is present, the ATSC 1.0 spec is needed to understand how it is done.

SHF
Wow!

Great knowledge

bob
post #17780 of 17914 Old 11-19-2019, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Wow!

Great knowledge

bob
Then there is MPG-2 to understand how a video is put together, that is a much harder subject for me. I can see at times parts of the video changing but messed up on bad MPG-2 video.

And the upcoming ATSC 3.0 does an even better job at compressing video, but I don't want to go there as so many posts have been made suggesting that it never will happen. I am starting to believe that, plan to take down the metal on the top of your house when all the transmitters are taken off the air.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/25-hd...-new-post.html

SHF
post #17781 of 17914 Old 11-20-2019, 10:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked: 210
The following was posted on Facebook today by KZHD, channel 49, North Bay TV, in Santa Rosa.

Dear Northbay TV Viewers: after the completion of sale on our station last week, Northbay TV officially went off the air at midnight November 17th, 2019. The station was purchased by a larger network, who will begin making plans on what they will do with the NBTV facilities over the coming months. We would like to thank you all for watching our station. In the 5 years we have been on the air, we’ve enjoyed bringing you some of the most unique programming available on television. We wish you the best in the years to come.

- - -

I used to watch the station when it was carried by the OMI channels (17.8 and 45.8) a few years ago. It had some very interesting programming, including some shows with local interest. I remember one in particular about the history of the Cliff House above San Francisco's Ocean Beach that was fascinating. They also had a lot of programming about space adventures as well as some good old time movies.

Larry
rdvegas likes this.

My complete SF Bay Area DTV Station Lists: http://www.larrykenney.com/sfonair.html
Lots of Broadcasting links and information: http://www.larrykenney.com/broadcast.html
Live reception scans from my HD Home Run receivers: http://www.larrykenney.com/hdhr/
Photos and info on my antennas: http://www.larrykenney.com/tvantennas.html
post #17782 of 17914 Old 11-21-2019, 03:50 AM

I don't see any sale applications on file with the FCC...

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #17783 of 17914 Old 11-23-2019, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

"Turkeys Away"

The Thanksgiving episode of WKRP in Cincinnati was based on a real turkey giveaway that went horribly wrong

https://metv.com/stories/the-thanksg...horribly-wrong

Watch "Turkeys Away" this Sunday, November 24, at 7:30PM | 6:30C

SHF
post #17784 of 17914 Old 11-27-2019, 01:24 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hello guys, I live about 48 miles directly east of San Francisco (as the crow flies), on the west edge of the Central Valley, and I'm trying to pick up the SF stations via antenna. I installed one of those cheapy amplified units with the built-in rotation feature from Amazon on my second-story rooftop, and I'm able to pick up KTVU 2, KRON 4, KPIX 5, and KBCW 44 with varying degrees of reliability depending on the conditions. From the transmitter's location on Sutro Tower to my location near Tracy, I have both the East Bay hills west of Dublin and the Diablo Range blocking the signal, so it is definitely a 2edge signal.

Sometimes the signals will be perfectly watchable, while other times one or all channels will pixelate or drop out. I noticed that often there is a signal oscillation that rapidly alternates between strong and zero -- almost as if I'm receiving LTE interference on UHF.

I'm thinking of updating my cheap-o antenna to a high quality unit such as a Televes Datboss LR Mix, which has a built-in amplifier with LTE filter and an amplified gain of 36.5 dBi and 46 dBi on VHF and UHF respectively, (8.5 and 18 dBi in non-amplified mode.)

Being that I am receiving signals on these channels, albeit weak, does it sound plausible that upgrading to a much larger antenna would turn out to be a good purchase?

The VHF capability of the Televes unit would be quite beneficial next year once KRON moves to VHF channel 7, and KGO moves to VHF channel 12.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
post #17785 of 17914 Old 11-27-2019, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybertoad1 View Post
I'm thinking of updating my cheap-o antenna to a high quality unit such as a Televes Datboss LR Mix, which has a built-in amplifier with LTE filter and an amplified gain of 36.5 dBi and 46 dBi on VHF and UHF respectively, (8.5 and 18 dBi in non-amplified mode.)

Being that I am receiving signals on these channels, albeit weak, does it sound plausible that upgrading to a much larger antenna would turn out to be a good purchase?

The VHF capability of the Televes unit would be quite beneficial next year once KRON moves to VHF channel 7, and KGO moves to VHF channel 12.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.[/LEFT]

We need to see your Rabbitears report to be able to help you. We have no idea what sort of signal strengths you have. Please post a link to your report: https://www.rabbitears.info/searchmap.php

PM Dr. Don to add your link to your post since you don't have 5 posts.

Chuck
post #17786 of 17914 Old 11-27-2019, 12:41 PM

Thanks, Chuck.

Maybe this will work:
www(DOT)rabbitears(DOT)info/searchmap.php?request=result&study_id=31099
post #17787 of 17914 Old 11-27-2019, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
[LEFT]Hello guys, I live about 48 miles directly east of San Francisco (as the crow flies), on the west edge of the Central Valley, and I'm trying to pick up the SF stations via antenna. I installed one of those cheapy amplified units with the built-in rotation feature from Amazon on my second-story rooftop, and I'm able to pick up KTVU 2, KRON 4, KPIX 5, and KBCW 44 with varying degrees of reliability depending on the conditions. From the transmitter's location on Sutro Tower to my location near Tracy, I have both the East Bay hills west of Dublin and the Diablo Range blocking the signal, so it is definitely a 2edge signal.
Here's a generic report for Tracy.

https://www.rabbitears.info/searchma...study_id=31093

Click on the mileage shown in the report to see a terrain plot. It may or may not be 2 edge. It depends on your exact location.

You're in the Sacramento market, not the SF market. Is there a particular station you want to receive? Most of what's available in SF OTA is the same as what's available in Sacramento.

The varying SF reception you're experiencing is due to temperature inversions which vary with the weather and tend to enhance reception in the evening and morning when they're present.

Quote:
Sometimes the signals will be perfectly watchable, while other times one or all channels will pixelate or drop out. I noticed that often there is a signal oscillation that rapidly alternates between strong and zero -- almost as if I'm receiving LTE interference on UHF.
This sounds like airplane flutter. A plane that is line-of-site to Sutro and you can reflect the signals and cause the signal to go up and down as the plane moves. The reflected signal adds/subtracts from the ground signal.

Quote:
Don't buy the Televes. It's not that great. A Winegard HD7698P or separate VHF/UHF antennas such as the XG91 for UHF and the Stellar Labs 30-2476 for VHF are better.

I don't know what you mean by gain numbers in dBi. dBi is antenna gain referenced to an isotropic source. It sounds like you're adding antenna gain to preamplifier gain. Those are separate parameters and it makes no sense to combine them. Your antenna gain needs to be high but there is an optimal gain for preamp gain that is determined by your setup. More is seldom better.

Quote:
A much larger antenna as I suggested above is the way to go. There's no guarantee that you'll receive any particular station from Sutro with any antenna.

Quote:
The VHF add-on elements of the Televes is a poor substitute for a real VHF antenna. Buy an antenna for the job you want to do.

Chuck

Last edited by Calaveras; 11-27-2019 at 12:54 PM.
post #17788 of 17914 Old 11-27-2019, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks, Chuck.

Maybe this will work:
http://www.rabbitears.info/searchmap...study_id=31099
Okay, you're in a worse location than the middle of Tracy. My antenna recommendations are unchanged but I'm doubtful any antenna will give you 100% reception of any Sutro station. There are limits to what can be done. This is a case of "pays your money and takes your chances."

Chuck
post #17789 of 17914 Old 11-27-2019, 01:34 PM

Thanks for your insight. I am aware that we get mostly the same programming as Sacramento. The stations come blasting in at my location, and I basically get all of the Sacramento stations at full power with the cheap Amazon antenna, even when it is pointed to the west towards SF. I even received KOVR simply by hooking a piece of coax to the back of the TV and holding it up in the air, which shows how powerful their signals are here. My reasoning for trying to bring in SF programming is mostly for local news programming, of which I have occasional interest, as my community is technically in the Sacramento-Stockton-Modesto DMA but are geographically much closer to the SF Bay Area, sitting right across the Alameda County line.

As to the airplane flutter vs LTE theory, the signal on the SF stations is oscillating from zero or 1 bar to sometimes full bars in a constant specific pattern. Multipath perhaps?

I was talking to a fellow resident who lives about a mile away and has had better success receiving the Sutro stations at his house, using a similar cheap Amazon antenna. He reports that he has no loss of reception or pixelation. Perhaps he's in more of a reception sweet spot.

I think I will throw up a big log-periodic antenna similar to the XG91 (and a good preamp) and see what happens. Stellar Labs makes a 91 element model which can be had for $37 shipped. If it works well, I can add a VHF antenna next year to receive a couple of repacked stations.
post #17790 of 17914 Old 11-27-2019, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
As to the airplane flutter vs LTE theory, the signal on the SF stations is oscillating from zero or 1 bar to sometimes full bars in a constant specific pattern. Multipath perhaps?

I was talking to a fellow resident who lives about a mile away and has had better success receiving the Sutro stations at his house, using a similar cheap Amazon antenna. He reports that he has no loss of reception or pixelation. Perhaps he's in more of a reception sweet spot.

Airplane flutter is multipath but it's very transitory in nature. LTE transmitters never go off so the interference would be constant. It is hard to determine if you're having LTE interference. Fortunately it's not that much of a problem. It gets blamed for much more interference than it actually causes. Most people who add an LTE filter before the preamp don't see any improvement.

You can run a report for your neighbor and then compare the terrain paths. Signals can vary a lot from location to location when you're dealing with 2 edge paths.

Chuck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page