San Francisco, CA - OTA - Page 595 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 421Likes

post #17821 of 17833 Old 12-10-2019, 04:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by 888CALLFCC View Post
No program ... No dove tv... No CMC.... ugh !!!

I need a reset button on my remote for this...lol

This happened last Sunday too.

Thanks! I am changing the way KQSL-LD is fed to be fed via internet using the Wireless Internet Provider at Mt. Tamalpais. So, I'll be going there to work on the stations. Also, I've been having trouble with my Comcast modems to feed KKPM-CD, so I'm getting fiber internet at the One Ministries, Inc. studio in Santa Rosa. Sorry for the delay in answering. Life's been crazy. Things are at last moving forward on KDTS-LD RF 14 on Sutro with a tentative turn-on date around March 14th.

Blessings,
Keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17822 of 17833 Old 12-10-2019, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkpm View Post
Things are at last moving forward on KDTS-LD RF 14 on Sutro with a tentative turn-on date around March 14th.

Blessings,
Keith
Most of channel 17 is back online. Although Blues channel 17-5 is frozen image. As I write this and has been frozen along time.

Not to worried about KDTS. More into the "hard to solve" problems like if KRCB 5 is too strong and bleeds over to RF-4 here. As all the VHF full power sutro stations do.
Not something I would want to deal with.

Ben
post #17823 of 17833 Old 12-10-2019, 11:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked: 124
KTVU, OAKLAND, CA CH 31 may be delayed

REQUEST FOR AN EXTENSION OF TIME TO COMPLETE CONSTRUCTION
CONSTRUCTION PERMIT FILE NUMBER 0000059954
KTVU, OAKLAND, CA
CP: CH 31, 1000 kW (EP), DIRECTIONAL, 512 M HAAT

https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/da...6eeccdaf1f59fc

If one is delayed, will there be many delayed?

SHF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17824 of 17833 Old Yesterday, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFischer1 View Post
If one is delayed, will there be many delayed?

Others might be delayed due to their own issues - weather, availability of tower crews, etc. - but KTVU's delay won't impact anyone else, other than whatever wireless company bought the spectrum currently occupied by RF channel 44.

Now, if KGO were delayed, that would affect KRON, and a KNTV delay would affect both KGO and KRON, because KRON can't move from RF 38 to RF 7 until KGO moves from RF 7 to RF 12, and KGO can't move until KNTV moves from RF 12 to RF 13.
post #17825 of 17833 Old Yesterday, 04:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhett View Post
...but KTVU's delay won't impact anyone else, other than whatever wireless company bought the spectrum currently occupied by RF channel 44.
As it turns out, Dish owns the block that RF channel 44 is in. They're probably not likely to build it out anytime soon, but that may change if the T-Mobile/Sprint merger happens. T-Mobile owns channels 39 and 40, and they'll probably build out fairly quickly.

You can see who bought what frequencies here.

https://specmap.sequence-omega.net/

HD MPEG-2 Test Patterns http://www.w6rz.net
post #17826 of 17833 Old Yesterday, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Just wanted to provide an update on my little antenna experiment of trying to receive the Sutro stations from the west side of the Central Valley, northwest of Tracy. I installed a HDB91x antenna and preamp, and I'm receiving several of the UHF stations with varying degrees of reliability. KPIX 5 (29) is the most reliable with the occasional quick dropout, followed by KBCW (45). The other stations are less reliable, depending on the time of day and the weather conditions. It is interesting that I can receive full signal strength from KPIX while at the same time receiving little or no signal from KRON and KTVU which are broadcasting from the same antenna. Fingers crossed that KTVU is more reliable over the mountains once it moves down to channel 31.

I notice that my signal strength on many of the channels is widely fluctuating all over the place (multipath or just a feature of knife-edge signals?)... I'm thinking that I may try raising the antenna another 5 feet and see what happens. I have yet to add a VHF antenna to my setup, but will be curious to see how KGO, KRON and KNTV (post-repack) do on the VHF side.

EDIT: I see that apparently many of these channels are at half-power during the week... I'll have to check again over the weekend.

Last edited by cybertoad1; Yesterday at 07:03 PM.
post #17827 of 17833 Old Yesterday, 07:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybertoad1 View Post
EDIT: I see that apparently many of these channels are at half-power during the week... I'll have to check again over the weekend.
You may have to wait until far into next year when all of Sutro is on the "new" antennas on the top of the monstrosity.

I just posted that the stations are on the AUX antennas low down on the tower, not on lower transmitter power in most cases.

Some people on the fringes of the normal reception area may have problems.

When a station reduces the power they must tell the FCC.
If they want to use a different antenna (Other that the AUX antennas) they must tell the FCC.
They need not tell the FCC if they are using the AUX antennas as they have been documented to the FCC before.

There are several requests approved for special antennas and at least one pending for one.
KPIX has a 50% power reduction request approved, but that may have expired.

It's the antennas being changed, not the transmitters unless there is a RF channel change.

SHF
post #17828 of 17833 Old Yesterday, 07:44 PM

I was going off of the press release from KQED. "We are aware that some over-the-air viewers are experiencing issues receiving the KQED 9 and KQED Plus signals from Sutro Tower. This issue is likely being caused by technical work to Sutro Tower that is being performed by their engineers. During the course of this maintenance, the signal is being broadcast at half strength during weekdays and at full power on the weekends. This maintenance may last through the end of December. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause. Please return to this page for progress updates."

https://helpcenter.kqed.org/s/articl...d-to-my-signal
post #17829 of 17833 Old Yesterday, 08:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I was going off of the press release from KQED. "We are aware that some over-the-air viewers are experiencing issues receiving the KQED 9 and KQED Plus signals from Sutro Tower. This issue is likely being caused by technical work to Sutro Tower that is being performed by their engineers. During the course of this maintenance, the signal is being broadcast at half strength during weekdays and at full power on the weekends. This maintenance may last through the end of December. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause. Please return to this page for progress updates."

https://helpcenter.kqed.org/s/articl...d-to-my-signal
Well, if they are really at half power then the reporting and approval of the FCC requirement may have been misunderstood by me based on the KPIX filing and many other filings.

But it is really unlikely "the signal is being broadcast at half strength during weekdays and at full power on the weekends".

KQED is on the last arm to be worked on and the work can't be done on that schedule.

Reports about Sutro are sparse and intermittent, the last picture was "November 20, 2019" showing that the first arm was still being replaced, the middle and right arms yet to come, assuming they will be done in that order.

Now, there is a lot of work being downstairs in the transmitter room and also on the transmitter feeds up the tower. So that might be done on the weekdays and not on the weekends. I just don't believe that, they are likely working 24/7 when they can. Tower crews and transmitter installers are mentioned in the recent post as being in short supply as well as equipment.

--------------------------------------

I really think "Red" was misquoted or an attempt was made to over simplify what is going on Sutro.

Assuming Red is still in charge.

SHF
post #17830 of 17833 Old Yesterday, 08:51 PM

From Larry Kenney a few posts back: In the latest monthly newsletter from the WTFDA, where station changes are noted, both KPIX and KRON are operating on STAs at half power until the antenna work is completed on Sutro Tower. Also, KGO, as most of you know, and KBCW are operating on their auxiliary antennas while their main antennas are being replaced for their new re-pack channels. So if you're having reception problems with 4, 5, 7 and/or 44, you know why. There might be other changes going on too, that I don't know about. That makes it sound like half-power is the current operating state until the permanent antennas are activated.

On a related issue, I'm glad to see that KTVU apparently abandoned their application for a permanent post-repack reduction to 750 kW from 1,000 kW.
post #17831 of 17833 Old Yesterday, 09:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
From Larry Kenney a few posts back: In the latest monthly newsletter from the WTFDA, where station changes are noted, both KPIX and KRON are operating on STAs at half power until the antenna work is completed on Sutro Tower. Also, KGO, as most of you know, and KBCW are operating on their auxiliary antennas while their main antennas are being replaced for their new re-pack channels. So if you're having reception problems with 4, 5, 7 and/or 44, you know why. There might be other changes going on too, that I don't know about. That makes it sound like half-power is the current operating state until the permanent antennas are activated.

On a related issue, I'm glad to see that KTVU apparently abandoned their application for a permanent post-repack reduction to 750 kW from 1,000 kW.
I think there is a massive lack of information and bad quotes trying to simplify the work being done and how viewers are being affected by just about everyone. The work schedule and plans are changing rapidly due to so very many parts involved and stations wanting their work to be put at the head of the line, or cannot be done due to no qualified workers or needed parts.

I had one chance to save a copy of the Sutro Master Plan and I blew it. That was very long ago and it must have changed massively since then.

The most interesting attachments sent to the FCC I cannot see, and I did not take the time to read the San Francisco Planning Commission Approval documents. If you read the Form399 you would be amazed what the FCC is paying stations for.

Anyone trying to learn what their reception will be in the future is on a fools errand IMHO. Until after it is completed next year and additional needed changes are done. Sutro rebuild is a very complex project. Changing all three arms putting new antennas up, new feedlines, new transmitters, new AC, new power connections, removing old equipment, drilling new holes in the concrete, patching old unneeded holes, the list goes on and on.

You just stick a piece of metal up into the air and connect it to your HDTV and if you get the program you wish, great.

That's what I am doing and I do expect to miss some programs. But then I have ~ 1.5TB of programs to watch on my N.A.S. and USB 1TB drives.

Remember, OTA viewers are a VERY SMALL part of station viewers, we don't count for very much in what the stations receive. And can be expected to not be stations priority thusly.

SHF

Last edited by SFischer1; Yesterday at 10:51 PM.
post #17832 of 17833 Old Yesterday, 09:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Tracy. I installed a HDB91x antenna

I notice that my signal strength on many of the channels is widely fluctuating all over the place (multipath or just a feature of knife-edge
That is a good directional antenna.

Your location is on the fringes of the Fresno tv market. As well.
If those stations are using the same UHF/VHF channels as San Francisco, something to check.

Go to www.tvfool.com
And note any Fresno channels in the NM column (noise margin).
Anything "0" zero or above could be receivable there.
A final step would be to turn your antenna setup to the Fresno tv market antenna farm and see what shows up. And on what channel.
Note any same-channel conflicts with San Francisco stations.

This is kind of a temporary situation until the repack channel assignments kick in next year. So testing later would be more key.

Moving the antenna up higher does not always make things better.
You could get more Fresno market & less San Francisco market.

The VHF channels will be easier to get then the UHF ones.
Especially long distances.

As a sidenote on the Fresno tv market.
Driving the 580 freeway (Dublin) grade area. You can pick up KSKS-FM 93.7. "kicks country" from Fresno.
But it only works for 1 mile on the dublin grade facing Fresno.
So yes, its possible with some locations.
post #17833 of 17833 Old Yesterday, 10:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 888CALLFCC View Post

Go to www.tvfool.com
Very Bad Idea!!! It is not being updated at all. It's information is very much out of date.

Use:

https://www.rabbitears.info/searchmap.php

It has up to date information inputted directed from the FCC files.

SHF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page