San Francisco, CA - OTA - Page 620 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 616Likes

post #18571 of 18788 Old 05-20-2020, 10:01 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras View Post
I have a TiVo Roamio also. The "Antenna Signal Strength" meter is not a signal strength meter. It is a Signal Quality meter. Actually you have no idea how strong KRON actually is. My guess is that KRON is plenty strong but you have a lot of multipath. Changing Signal Quality when moving the antenna position a bit would tend to confirm this. About all you can do is try the antenna in different positions until you find one that's better.

For whatever reason, the highest Signal Quality I've seen is 72/100. The TiVo meter in the Diagnostic screen is also a Signal Quality meter. Whey they didn't include a real signal strength meter is beyond me. It would really be helpful.

Chuck
How interesting! For some reason, this sounds so familiar, and I think you may have shared that with me a few years ago on this thread... But obviously if I was informed years ago, I forgot!

The tuner on the Roamio seems to perform differently than my TCL and LG tuners (and I guess the morale to this story is that all tuners are not created equal). As an example, KOFY channel 20 looks fantastic on my TCL tuner, yet it is constantly and predictably pixelated with audio drop outs on my Roamio. Both are connected to the same antenna feed.

I am really hopeful that I can improve the signal quality of KRON with the new longer, larger 30-2476 antenna... I am academically concerned about how close I have to mount my Stellar Labs antenna to my DB4e, but I don't see an alternative to be honest. And I guess I shouldn't worry about the academics of this, and should be more focused on the functional aspects... If it works, it works, right?

I also find trying to tune/aim two antennas on one mast frustratingly difficult... Here is what I ended up doing:
  • Took my mast down and layed it on the rooftop
  • Mounted Stellar Labs VHF antenna below DB4e (24 inches below) - Didn't worry about the DB4e aim at this point
  • Hand mounted mast back in place without tightening any brackets and rotated to get best signal
  • Discovered that KRON was not coming in at all. Almost as though I didn't even add the VHF antenna at all.
  • Moved mast to another location to clear the treetops. No change.
  • Raised/hoisted mast manually by 2-3 feet and rotated around. KRON signal found (but not a good picture)
  • Went back to original location at chimney and manually raised by 2-3 feet. Same behavior. KRON found, not a good picture.
  • Took mast down and layed on rooftop and moved VHF antenna within a couple of inches from DB4e, some elements on rear of Stellar Labs overlapping with my DB4e. Replaced mast by hand mounting and discovered that I am getting KRON signal. Rotated and discovered that the strongest TiVo signal quality was 42-45 and noted direction.
  • Took mast back down and started to adjust the relative direction between my DB4e and my 30-2475... Re-hand-mounted and adjusted to maximize VHF, and then roughly tested UHF channels.
  • Rinse and repeat taking the mast up and down. For the most part, I aimed to maximize my VHF KRON signal, and pretty much accepted the fact that I was not going to be able to optimize my UHF aim. My UHF aim was "roughly right" and fortunately it is not a directional antenna, so it worked for me. Not sure what I would have done if I had to optimize two highly directional antennas on the same mast!!!

Long process...which I will have to repeat again when I receive my Stellar Labs 30-2476.

Thanks for taking this "journey" with me... Again, I hope that the 30-2476 makes a difference. Spec-wise, it is supposed to have an increase of 1-2db gain... I am not technical enough to know whether that is a big or an insignificant difference... I will absolutely report back!

My OTA Setup
- TiVo Roamio OTA DVR (with Harmony Elite Remote)
- Antennas Direct DB4e (UHF) & Stellar Labs 30-2476 (High-VHF)
- Channel Master Chimney Mount w/10 Foot Mast (1.5" Diameter)
My RabbitEars Report
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18572 of 18788 Old 05-20-2020, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeekiM01 View Post
Update on my quest for KRON after the repack...

I ordered the Stellar Labs 30-2475 Deep Fringe High VHF Antenna and the Stellar Labs Diplexer... Received it today!!!

Installed it and am able to just barely get KRON... I know signal strength meters probably vary based on the tuner that you are using, but based on my TiVo Roamio tuner, the signal strength peaks at 45/100. Right now it is mostly sitting at 43/100. I get a 95%+ usable reception... Meaning that 5% or less, I get some light pixelation and audio drops...

It is possible you're multipathing yourself with sub-optimal antenna location, although that is just a guess. I know suggestions on this forum that involve money and or effort are not always well received, but I'm going to throw this out there anyway given the poor results from the first low effort low $$ attempt (no offense, you're entitled to try. Your $$ and effort.)

Consider installing 2" X 8' X 1/8" wall thickness sections of antenna mast from Penninger radio, and a mast joiner clamp (I went for overkill with the MC-200-12 mast clamp) get your antenna up above interactions with your roof, and allow some distance to the UHF antenna above. This will cost more than your antenna, but won't require guy wires, as I'm pretty sure you wouldn't like that either.

A sturdy mast will allow 10' of unsupported height, which may well address your problem. Of course this may require modification to your strap installation hardware, which likely won't accept 2" mast. VHF's longer wavelength generates multipath at greater distances. VHF channel 7 is 109" at 1/2 wavelength, although it may be sufficient to distance the antennna from objects by more than 1/4 wave.

Lifespeed
91XG Yagi for San Francisco, DB4e bowtie for Fremont
SiliconDust HDHR4-2US network tuners, one per antenna
Media server PC running Emby
Rabbit Ears reception report
post #18573 of 18788 Old 05-20-2020, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifespeed View Post
It is possible you're multipathing yourself with sub-optimal antenna location, although that is just a guess. I know suggestions on this forum that involve money and or effort are not always well received, but I'm going to throw this out there anyway given the poor results from the first low effort low $$ attempt (no offense, you're entitled to try. Your $$ and effort.)

Consider installing 2" X 8' X 1/8" wall thickness sections of antenna mast from Penninger radio, and a mast joiner clamp (I went for overkill with the MC-200-12 mast clamp) get your antenna up above interactions with your roof, and allow some distance to the UHF antenna above. This will cost more than your antenna, but won't require guy wires, as I'm pretty sure you wouldn't like that either.

A sturdy mast will allow 10' of unsupported height, which may well address your problem. Of course this may require modification to your strap installation hardware, which likely won't accept 2" mast. VHF's longer wavelength generates multipath at greater distances. VHF channel 7 is 109" at 1/2 wavelength, although it may be sufficient to distance the antennna from objects by more than 1/4 wave.
Wow! That's a pretty cool solution... I had no idea that there were options for 2" masts and mast-joiners... So this is what you have implemented at your home? Is it reasonably easy to find chimney mounts and antenna mounts that attach to a 2" mast?

At this point, I already have the 30-2476 on order, and it is in transit... I am going to see what that does for me... And as I mentioned, I don't feel great about the academics and purity of my implementation, but I need to get over my OCD tendencies and focus on the functional aspect of my solution... As long as I can turn on my television and access glitch-free content, I think I am good to go!

And I do appreciate visibility to the choices available, regardless of the effort or cost involved... Good to know what is out there!

My OTA Setup
My RabbitEars Report
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18574 of 18788 Old 05-20-2020, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Wow! That's a pretty cool solution... I had no idea that there were options for 2" masts and mast-joiners... So this is what you have implemented at your home? Is it reasonably easy to find chimney mounts and antenna mounts that attach to a 2" mast?

At this point, I already have the 30-2476 on order, and it is in transit... I am going to see what that does for me... And as I mentioned, I don't feel great about the academics and purity of my implementation, but I need to get over my OCD tendencies and focus on the functional aspect of my solution... As long as I can turn on my television and access glitch-free content, I think I am good to go!

And I do appreciate visibility to the choices available, regardless of the effort or cost involved... Good to know what is out there!

The mast parts are in transit, I already have two UHF (SF and Fremont) and one full-band VHF antenna (SF) waiting in boxes. My VHF antenna will be 54" above the chimney, with the closest UHF (Fremont) antenna 54" above, and the top UHF antenna (SF) at 12' above the chimney. Hopefully I don't experience crippling VHF multipath, or too much unsupported mast height.

I hope it works for you, although Calaveras may not have been wrong regarding quality not strength. Can you try a tuner with a real signal strength meter as a point of information?

Lifespeed
post #18575 of 18788 Old 05-20-2020, 11:36 AM

Quote:
The mast parts are in transit, I already have two UHF (SF and Fremont) and one full-band VHF antenna (SF) waiting in boxes. My VHF antenna will be 54" above the chimney, with the closest UHF (Fremont) antenna 54" above, and the top UHF antenna (SF) at 12' above the chimney. Hopefully I don't experience crippling VHF multipath, or too much unsupported mast height.

I hope it works for you, although Calaveras may not have been wrong regarding quality not strength. Can you try a tuner with a real signal strength meter as a point of information?
I can't see how you could go wrong here... Looks like a primo solution...

What are you trying to achieve with your set-up, and what are the challenges that have brought you to this particular solution? It sounds like you were pretty happy with your current set-up... Did the repack present new challenges that require the horsepower you are putting into your new solution?

Honestly, my current solution gets me everything I need, and most of what I want...even without introducing the new high-VHF antenna... KRON is a want, not a need... With my current UHF only set up I get every single channel I need, which are the major networks...and exposure to more than my share of extra wants and nice-to-haves...

KRON is more than a nice-to-have, but is something that I could live without... So the effort and investment I am making is really just to add KRON back to my channel line-up... That's it...

My OTA Setup
My RabbitEars Report
post #18576 of 18788 Old 05-20-2020, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I can't see how you could go wrong here... Looks like a primo solution...

What are you trying to achieve with your set-up, and what are the challenges that have brought you to this particular solution? It sounds like you were pretty happy with your current set-up... Did the repack present new challenges that require the horsepower you are putting into your new solution?

The current UHF-only setup receives every possible channel from my home in S. San Jose, even the weakest ones like KRCB on Mt. St. Helena before the repack, without a rotor or switch, media server compatible. The repack makes VHF a necessity. Or a want. My perspective on that is if I'm going to do it, I'm going to get everything, with no dropouts.

Since I'm doing it again, I figured I may as well get the repack-optimized UHF antennae designed for 470 - 600MHz as well. My plan is to use good hardware and never touch it again, except for tuner replacement to ATSC 3.0. I'm even using stainless steel cable ties instead of nylon.

Lifespeed
post #18577 of 18788 Old 05-20-2020, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1965 Post(s)
Liked: 485
Quote:
Since I'm doing it again, I figured I may as well get the repack-optimized UHF antennae designed for 470 - 600MHz as well.

I hope you're going to give us a detailed report on the XB16A. I don't know anyone else using one. Was shipping from England expensive?

Chuck
post #18578 of 18788 Old 05-20-2020, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I hope you're going to give us a detailed report on the XB16A. I don't know anyone else using one. Was shipping from England expensive?

I bought two antennae, XB10 for Fremont 16 miles away, and XB16 for SF and San Bruno 48 miles distant. Paid about $90 for shipping. Shipping an antenna in the US isn't inexpensive either, getting that NOS Winegard HD5030 full-band VHF here was costly as well. I'm determined to do it right, and be done with. I only wish I had known enough to do it this way when I put up my current setup a few years back, but the repack was barely a jingle in the FCC's pocketbook at that time.

Given that I receive everything UHF today, the only differences I would see with the narrow band antennae would be hook up to my current antennae with a spectrum analyzer, look for cellular signals between 600 and 900 MHz, take screenshots, then perform the same exercise with my new narrowband antennae. Or I could measure the VSWR, which should be improved.

These are real figures of merit. I may even have an F to N adapter to get me into the spectrum analyzer, although with a 75 to 50 ohm mismatch. I have access to such equipment, as I'm an electrical engineer. However, I do this stuff all the time, so it isn't that interesting as a hobby. It's kind of like work, and I have plenty of work to do. Really what I want is good results, and I won't need to make a bunch of time-consuming measurements to get there. Probably I'll spend the time doing the assembly and installation. It may be all I do is look at some weak stations on the tuner, record the values, then look at them with the new antenna.

Sorry I'm not a better sport. Not unlike the shoemaker's kids and the mechanic's car.

Lifespeed
post #18579 of 18788 Old 05-20-2020, 05:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I may even have an F to N adapter to get me into the spectrum analyzer, although with a 75 to 50 ohm mismatch.

I use these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MACOM-TPX-7...oAAOSwa81ck~OI

They work great, about 0.4 dB insertion loss on VHF/UHF TV.

Chuck
post #18580 of 18788 Old 05-21-2020, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 43
SHF1 (Stephen Fischer) status

This morning I received the sad news that Stephen passed away in hospice last Friday morning. He was not a Covid-19 victim.

HDHomerun users: Please check out our free Cliff Watson EPG PVR software to schedule your recordings.

Now seeking INTERNATIONAL beta testers for new version.
post #18581 of 18788 Old 05-21-2020, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I use these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MACOM-TPX-7...oAAOSwa81ck~OI

They work great, about 0.4 dB insertion loss on VHF/UHF TV.

A broadband transmission line transformer, that will do the trick over more than two decades. I'll have to see if I can't make some time for measurements. I'm working on the chimney mount brackets now, I think I'll make perimeter clamps out of stainless steel C-channel. Talking to my fabricator.

Lifespeed
post #18582 of 18788 Old 05-21-2020, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1896 Post(s)
Liked: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post
This morning I received the sad news that Stephen passed away in hospice last Friday morning. He was not a Covid-19 victim.

- Trip
joblo likes this.

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #18583 of 18788 Old 05-21-2020, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Very sad news. Thanks for letting us know.
joblo likes this.
post #18584 of 18788 Old 05-21-2020, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
My goodness, it's like the ceiling just fell down on my head. Stephen and his family are in my prayers.
post #18585 of 18788 Old 05-22-2020, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 14
KICU Bad Problems today

I noticed KICU dropping out quite frequently this afternoon, and it looks like it wasn't just me... it turned up on koherence.com too:

It doesn't look like there are any stations anywhere in the vicinity also transmitting on RF 36, so probably not a co-channel interference issue? Looks like whatever was happening settled down after 8 PM though.

It's so nice to have this resource on koherence... makes it really easy to tell quickly if it's likely to be everyone or not.

Last edited by Nicklas Johnson; 05-22-2020 at 09:28 PM.
post #18586 of 18788 Old 05-23-2020, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicklas Johnson View Post
I noticed KICU dropping out quite frequently this afternoon, and it looks like it wasn't just me... it turned up on koherence.com too:

[...snip...]

It doesn't look like there are any stations anywhere in the vicinity also transmitting on RF 36, so probably not a co-channel interference issue? Looks like whatever was happening settled down after 8 PM though.

It's so nice to have this resource on koherence... makes it really easy to tell quickly if it's likely to be everyone or not.
Glad you find sfbayatsc useful. The problems with KICU appear to have started around May 15. Something is impairing the signal in the afternoon and into early evening. I haven't been able to spend the time to figure out what it is, but I suspect either some form of adjacent channel interference or dynamic multipath. Whatever it is is specific to KICU, since KGO D35 is fine (though something is affecting it in a very minor way during the same periods).

I have a setup which does post-demodulation signal combining using the signal from the Fremont antenna and the one from the Sutro antenna. The combined signal is error free. I'll need to take a closer look at what the Sutro antenna is actually getting for RF 36 when I find the time.

Here's a link describing the post-demodulation signal combining if you're interested.

https://in-koherence.com/index.php/2...ith-diversity/
post #18587 of 18788 Old 05-24-2020, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
I'm so sorry to hear of Stephen's passing. Until his posts disappeared from this board I saw no indications that he was having problems, so I am surprised about the news. He was very helpful to many AVS users on this and on other threads and will be missed by many. May he rest in peace without any multipath.

Larry

My complete SF Bay Area DTV Station Lists: http://www.larrykenney.com/sfonair.html
Lots of Broadcasting links and information: http://www.larrykenney.com/broadcast.html
Live reception scans from my HD Home Run receivers: http://www.larrykenney.com/hdhr/
Photos and info on my antennas: http://www.larrykenney.com/tvantennas.html
post #18588 of 18788 Old 05-25-2020, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

KCNZ RF 21 - Virtual 18, 20, 28 and 32 - is sending out the strongest signal I've seen from them since last January this afternoon. I'm receiving them at 25 dB SNR - 78% signal strength, 72% signal quality. Either they've increased power or fixed their antenna or KDTV-CD in Santa Rosa is not coming in at their usual strength.

Larry

My complete SF Bay Area DTV Station Lists: http://www.larrykenney.com/sfonair.html
Lots of Broadcasting links and information: http://www.larrykenney.com/broadcast.html
Live reception scans from my HD Home Run receivers: http://www.larrykenney.com/hdhr/
post #18589 of 18788 Old 05-26-2020, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kenney View Post
KCNZ RF 21 - Virtual 18, 20, 28 and 32 - is sending out the strongest signal I've seen from them since last January this afternoon. I'm receiving them at 25 dB SNR - 78% signal strength, 72% signal quality. Either they've increased power or fixed their antenna or KDTV-CD in Santa Rosa is not coming in at their usual strength.

Thanks, Larry, I can confirm receiving it in the South Bay now. Also as it happens, RF5 is coming in this morning too. I've generally only been able to receive reliably it at night.
post #18590 of 18788 Old 05-28-2020, 12:23 AM

I received my Stellar Labs 30-2476 antenna this afternoon and put it up this evening...

My TiVo Roamio OTA signal quality for KRON went from the 40-45 range to 60 with the new antenna! No digital artifacting, no video or audio dropouts... Looks like a very reliable signal reception.

All my other channels are coming in with high signal quality numbers as well...

So at this point, I am calling this a success! I'll post a photo of my new antenna set-up tomorrow morning...

Thanks for everyone's input and guidance!

My OTA Setup
My RabbitEars Report
post #18591 of 18788 Old 05-28-2020, 11:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
I received my Stellar Labs 30-2476 antenna this afternoon and put it up this evening...

My TiVo Roamio OTA signal quality for KRON went from the 40-45 range to 60 with the new antenna! No digital artifacting, no video or audio dropouts... Looks like a very reliable signal reception.

So at this point, I am calling this a success! I'll post a photo of my new antenna set-up tomorrow morning...

What source did you use for the Stellar Labs 30-246?
I got one from Neobits ($40 plus ship/tax) and it arrived UPS total thrashed! (bent boom and elements).
I sent them pics etc TWO weeks ago and they have yet to ship a new one or tell me what to do with the damaged one!
KeithT
post #18592 of 18788 Old 05-28-2020, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithWE6R View Post
What source did you use for the Stellar Labs 30-246?
I got one from Neobits ($40 plus ship/tax) and it arrived UPS total thrashed! (bent boom and elements).
I sent them pics etc TWO weeks ago and they have yet to ship a new one or tell me what to do with the damaged one!
KeithT
I sourced my first Stellar Labs 30-2465 at Amazon.com. It was $43.43 shipped including sales tax. They did a fantastic job shipping it to me. They shipped it as a "box in a box". And I love that I can (and will) return it for free.

I sourced my new Stellar Labs 30-2476 at Newark. I never heard of them, but got the link from the folks here in this thread. They charged me about $17.00 for shipping, and if I return it I have to pay for return shipping... So given the price, I pretty much was committed to keeping this one. It came shipped to me undamaged, but they did not do the "box in a box" shipment like Amazon did, and as a result, the box was pretty beat up when it got to me. Fortunately there was no damage.

My OTA Setup
My RabbitEars Report
post #18593 of 18788 Old 05-28-2020, 01:40 PM

Quote:

As promised, here is a photo of my newly installed Stellar Labs 30-2476 high-VHF antenna! As you can see, I was forced to install my new antenna with overlap on my DB4e. Any lower and my VHF signal strength suffered. I am sure I am creating academic/technical problems here somehow...multi-path or what-not... But functionally, this seems to get me all the channels I need and even my nice-to-have wants... So I am calling it a success...

As a reminder, here is my previous Stellar Labs 30-2475...

And here are the two antennas side by side during my installation last night...

My OTA Setup
My RabbitEars Report
post #18594 of 18788 Old 05-28-2020, 09:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
As promised, here is a photo of my newly installed Stellar Labs 30-2476 high-VHF antenna! As you can see, I was forced to install my new antenna with overlap on my DB4e. Any lower and my VHF signal strength suffered. I am sure I am creating academic/technical problems here somehow...multi-path or what-not... But functionally, this seems to get me all the channels I need and even my nice-to-have wants... So I am calling it a success...
Forget about the possible academic and technical problems... it works! You're receiving a good solid signal as well as all of the stations you want... and then some, so it's definitely a success! It's a neat looking set up, too. Congratulations, Mikeeki!

I'm also happy with my post re-pack reception, too. Prior to the repack I could not find a setting for my rotor where I could receive all of the Bay Area stations, but now if I point my 8200U at 184 degrees I receive all of the Sutro, Mt. San Bruno and South Bay stations, except for RF42... and it's moving to RF 22 with more power. They're all rock solid, so it's all working for me, too! If I turn the antenna toward Walnut Grove I receive several of the Sacramento - Stockton stations as well... 6, 10, 13, and 31 are good most of the time, and I understand that not all of the stations up there are on their permanent new antennas running full power, so there could be more to come once everything is finished.

post #18595 of 18788 Old 05-28-2020, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kenney View Post
Forget about the possible academic and technical problems... it works! You're receiving a good solid signal as well as all of the stations you want... and then some, so it's definitely a success! It's a neat looking set up, too. Congratulations, Mikeeki!

I'm also happy with my post re-pack reception, too. Prior to the repack I could not find a setting for my rotor where I could receive all of the Bay Area stations, but now if I point my 8200U at 184 degrees I receive all of the Sutro, Mt. San Bruno and South Bay stations, except for RF42... and it's moving to RF 22 with more power. They're all rock solid, so it's all working for me, too! If I turn the antenna toward Walnut Grove I receive several of the Sacramento - Stockton stations as well... 6, 10, 13, and 31 are good most of the time, and I understand that not all of the stations up there are on their permanent new antennas running full power, so there could be more to come once everything is finished.
Thanks Larry, and congrats yourself!!! Awesome... We should all get t-shirts that exclaim that we survived the repack!!!

My OTA Setup
My RabbitEars Report
post #18596 of 18788 Old 05-28-2020, 10:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Shout-out and thanks!

Quote:

You can try moving the antenna to different indoor location and see if you can get lucky again.

Chuck

Quote:
If you're not willing to change anything, nothing is going to change.

Just wanted to do a shout-out and thanks to Calaveras and lifespeed for encouraging me to make some changes.

Moved my indoor antenna to a 2nd floor front bedroom window (not really the most aesthetic placement) which almost points directly at Sutro (317 deg true). Lost KQRO completely, but picked up RF 21 and RF 33 KKPX which is a good trade-off for me.

It been a couple of weeks and almost all stations have good reception (with few drop-outs). Had to know since I really thing many of the stations are making adjustments (i.e. KPIX only came in sporadically the first few days , but now in more solid. Still having drop-outs with RF 21 like some others have posted.

Would be nice to get status reports on when stations are making adjustment so reception is not a moving target.

The wonders and joys of OTA !!!

Guess I'll have to be patient till the changes are done. Still may make an investment in an outdoor antenna if I can find one that can be mounted on a wall or corner of the house with a small profile (recommendations welcome).
post #18597 of 18788 Old 05-29-2020, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Well, RF-21 has dropped off again, for those of us in the South Bay. However suddenly RF-24 is showing up really strong. I guess I'm picking it up on the back-side of the antenna aimed at Sutro.
post #18598 of 18788 Old 05-29-2020, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by kall_me_karl View Post
Well, RF-21 has dropped off again, for those of us in the South Bay.
In the last couple of days, KSPX (Sacramento) switched to their new transmitter and is now pumping out 1MW on RF 21 -- possible that is causing interference for you?
post #18599 of 18788 Old 05-29-2020, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videojanitor View Post
In the last couple of days, KSPX (Sacramento) switched to their new transmitter and is now pumping out 1MW on RF 21 -- possible that is causing interference for you?

Probably not. KSPX has a highly reduced pattern towards the Bay Area, just 41 KW towards San Jose.

Chuck
post #18600 of 18788 Old 05-29-2020, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kall_me_karl View Post
Well, RF-21 has dropped off again, for those of us in the South Bay. However suddenly RF-24 is showing up really strong. I guess I'm picking it up on the back-side of the antenna aimed at Sutro.

KAAP is on Monument Peak in Fremont so it wouldn't be off the back of an antenna in San Jose pointed to SF.

BTW, I noticed that KAAP's antenna is listed as -3.74 dB gain. That's kind of weird.

Chuck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page