Houston, TX - Comcast / DBS - Page 291 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #8701 of 9987 Old 04-07-2011, 02:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussB View Post
I got an email about the new guide at the end of February and at least one person posted about getting called. Did anyone get materials in the mail about the new guide?
A buddy and I were talking about this at lunch yesterday. No; aside from the email, neither of us got any other communication that this was coming.

I'm set up for e-billing; I wonder if that makes a difference...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8702 of 9987 Old 04-07-2011, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

I got an email about the new guide at the end of February and at least one person posted about getting called. Did anyone get materials in the mail about the new guide?

We got nothing about the guide changes. We did get a notice about the analog channels going away a the end of April and that we would need to pay for more digital boxes if we wanted to continue to get those channels on TV's w/o boxes.
post #8703 of 9987 Old 04-08-2011, 06:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I got a notice about the guide changes yesterday.

Mike
Houston Comcast
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8704 of 9987 Old 04-08-2011, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Location: Houston, Texas Comcast SA 8300HD DVRs Guide S25 Phase 1 with Patch
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The following posts are from Comcast's Ted Hodgins, Sr. Director, Video Product Development - Navigation, in Media & Entertainment, "New Guide for Scientific Atlanta Cable Boxes" blog:

http://blog.comcast.com/2010/05/new-...ble-boxes.html

See the underlined section, for watching in slow motion and dismissing overlays with the Exit key

Quote:

I could use some help with the "new guide" running on a SA 8300 HD. How do you do slow-motion? On the "old guide" you pressed the play button twice.

Also, I think there is a problem with "pause". With the "old guide" the pause graphic on the screen went away after a few seconds so you could see everything on the screen. With the "new guide" the pause graphic never leaves the screen and might block what you are trying to see.

Does the SA 8300 HD with the "new" guide have to be left on so that it will record scheduled recordings? Thus, it essentialy must be left on 24 hours per day, 365 days a year - correct? As bizzare is that sounds - if it is true - then there is always going to be a problem that the DVR might accidently be powered off. Is there a way to set it so that it isn't ever accidently turned off?

T. Rock | April 7, 2011 11:40 PM

http://blog.comcast.com/2010/05/new-...#comment-38152

Quote:

Hello T. Rock. Thanks for your questions.

On your DVR, to watch a section in slow-motion, press the play button, then the pause button and then the FF button one time to go slow motion forward or the REW button once to go backwards in slow motion. To dismiss the DVR transport bar (or any guide overlay), simply press the exit key on the remote control.

You can use your silver Comcast remote control to just turn the TV set off or on (and leave the cable box on); just push the TV lighted button at the top left hand side of the remote control and then the power button.

The previous guide software did allow you to turn the DVR box off (it actually went into standby) when you were recording a program, the new guide software does not. This is certainly a slight change in behavior and in line with what the majority of our customers are used to and have in their home today. You can certainly leave the cable box on and the TV off when recording programs.

If you leave your cable box off, it will turn on to record according to what you have scheduled. With the new on-screen guide, when you attempt to turn off the cable box while a DVR recording is in progress, an on-screen message appears that says the following: "A recording is in progress. Turning off your cable box will stop all recordings in progress." There are two options presented on-screen underneath this message.

1. Continue recording, leave cable box on
2. Stop recording, turn cable box off.

You can chose one of those options. If no selection is chosen the on-screen message will time out and the DVR will continue to record.

Leaving the box on allows for your cable box to easily get software and firmware updates as well as updated TV listings. This should not significantly impact the lifespan of the cable box or the hard drive.

There are many more details on the new on-screen guide are available here: http://www.comcast.net/meetyourguide/

Thanks again for your comments and thanks for being a Comcast customer.

Ted Hodgins replied to comment from T. Rock | April 8, 2011 10:33 AM

http://blog.comcast.com/2010/05/new-...#comment-38155

post #8705 of 9987 Old 04-08-2011, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The following posts are from Comcast's Ted Hodgins, Sr. Director, Video Product Development - Navigation, in Media & Entertainment, "New Guide for Scientific Atlanta Cable Boxes" blog:

Ted was giving out incorrect information earlier about the HD resolution being able to be set by channel and the true pass-through feature will return in a new guide version, see underlined section.

Quote:

I'd like to make some comments on the new guide. I'm a Houston customer with an 8300 HDC.

1) I really dislike the lack of hdmi passthrough. I've seen something on this blog about setting per channel resolutions. How would that be done?

2) The picture quality drastically decreased after the upgrade, including HD. It looks much more compressed and lacks sharpness. My equipment hasn't changed, but I've had to change settings on my equipment since the upgrade to get the picture passable again.

3) The guide text needs some anti-aliasing or something.

Benjamin Geerdes | April 4, 2011 8:23 PM

http://blog.comcast.com/2010/05/new-...#comment-38094

Quote:

Hello Mr. Geerdes. I wanted to follow up on your "HD setting per channel" question

It does appear that I was giving out incorrect information earlier about the HD resolution being able to be set by channel. Please accept my apologies for that inaccuracy.

There is no easy way to set the HD output resolution settings display for each channel - without turning off the cable box and changing the setting each time. That certainly is not convenient or easy.

In a future version of the guide (we have that version already in a few hundred employee homes right now) the true pass-through feature returns for our SA customers.

That guide version is slated to be available starting over the summer.

Ted Hodgins replied to comment from Benjamin Geerdes | April 8, 2011 12:52 PM

http://blog.comcast.com/2010/05/new-...#comment-38158

post #8706 of 9987 Old 04-11-2011, 01:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

New Comcast S25 Guide Tips and Information

Online Information
Comcast's Ted Hodgins, Sr. Director, Video Product Development - Navigation, in Media & Entertainment, "New Guide for Scientific Atlanta Cable Boxes" blog:

Website about the New Guide:
http://www.comcast.net/meetyourguide

Downloads:
http://www.comcast.net/meetyourguide/#downloads

DVR Overview:
http://por-img.cimcontent.net/ui/pdf...5_DVR_0111.pdf

Posts with Additional Information
Link to Schedule for Comcast's Scientific Atlanta/Cisco Markets New Guide and Hardware:
https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post20109356

Link to Comcast Replacing SARA with Motorola A25 Equivalent Guide:
https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post20125659

Link to Advantages and Disadvantages of Comcast's Scientific Atlanta/Cisco Markets New Guides and Hardware:
https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post19551799

Link to OnDemand Videos:
https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post20109231

Known Problems
Quote:

. . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Madeiros View Post

Upon turning on the TV or switching channells, I receive a message on the screen that reads "Your not authorized to view this channel" or "your cable box is not authorized for use". I have to switch away from the channel and switch back or wait a few minutes and the channel comes one. This is most annoying. I called technical support and they were aware of the issue as many customers have called with similar complaints.

. . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Hodgins View Post

Unfortunately, the Not Authorized issue you referenced is a known issue on certain set tops. A fix for that issue has been identified and is scheduled to start rolling out to customers over the summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainVideoJW View Post

Lots of issues with the new guide. On both the SA8300HD & RNG200. Scheduled recordings not carried over. My family is going nuts too about Dancing With The Stars sporadically recording. Playback issues as well watching live programs. Pausing sometimes doesn't work. It freezes. Yada, yada, yada. I've hard rebooted.

I'm going to be calling Comcast for a credit. Soon.

I have a 750GB external drive connected to the 8300. All recordings preserved.

I have seen the problem with pausing not working. It says it is paused, but the show keeps playing. I have also seen the DVR freeze. When it freezes, it may take up to 5 minutes before the DVR reboots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzzin View Post

My 8 second rewind and 5 minute jump back buttons have both recently stopped working. Regular rewind seems to be working okay. Anyone else noticing this?

Yes, I have had that problem. Rebooting, by unplugging it and plugging it back in, fixes the problem for a while until it happens again. When rebooting, wait until the clock comes back on for the second time. A reboot takes about 3 minutes but the guide data takes a long time to be restored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1812 View Post

. . .
And even when it recorded Breakout Kings the other night, it recorded about 20 actual minutes of the program, stated it was 45 minutes, but it's a 60 minute program! Luckily everything that was missed or recorded in error was "On Demand" (FIRST time I've used that EVER). I am giving serious consideration to Tivo at this point.
. . .

I also have this problem of recordings stopping early. I think it only happens when I am watching a recorded show and other shows are being recorded. It is not consistent and I can not make it happen.

Display Current Time on the Screen
You should be able to see the current time displayed on the TV screen whenever you press the OK/Select button on the silver Comcast Remote control (the time is displayed on the left) or when you press the Info button (the time is displayed on the right). If you use the OK/Select button, press the Exit button to remove the listing grid. The Info button does not display the time if you are watching a recording.

Changing Listings Grid to Show 5 Channels
Press the Menu button on your Comcast silver remote control twice, choose Set Up from the on-screen menu, then Guide Set Up, scroll down to the Grid Cell Height option and change Double Height (the default) to Single Height.

Skip through the Ads in the Guide
Use the Page Up or Page Down key on your remote control while browsing the TV listings grid.

Skip Ahead by a Day in the Guide Listings
Use the Day + button (it's the red C button above the 4 directional arrows in the center of the silver Comcast remote control).

Go Back a Day in the Guide Listings
Use the Day - button (this is the blue B button to the left of the Day + button on the silver Comcast remote control).

Can't Go Back in Time in the Guide Listings
You can't go back in time beyond the current hour.

Favorites List
You are able to set up a list of Favorite Channels and use that as your on-screen guide. In fact, you can set up multiple favorite lists for different people in your household or you can set up Favorites lists by genre (Movies, Sports, etc).

Here is how to set up a Favorites List: Using the silver Comcast remote control, press the Menu button twice, then select Setup, then Favorite List Setup. Select Set Up Favorite List and follow the on-screen instructions to add channels to your list. You can also name each list. After the Favorites List is created, you can access it and cycle through it by pressing the FAV button on the Comcast remote control (the FAV button is to the left of the channel up/down button).

After the Favorites List is created, you can also access it in the Guide by pressing the Guide button, then pressing the Favorites button to select the list you want.

Color Coding in the Guide Grid
The color coding in the guide grid is designed to assist customers in locating shows while browsing in the grid. Purple for movies, green for sports and light blue for kids.

Changing Guide Colors
Using the silver Comcast remote control, press the Menu button twice, then select Setup, then Guide Colors Setup and you can choose from 13 color schemes.

Search
Press the Menu button twice on the Comcast silver remote control then select Search, then TV Title Search.

View Upcoming Times for a Show
Select the show in the Guide. Select the clock icon. This will show the times this shows airs and it includes air times on the HD channel.

Last Key
To go back a menu in any guide screen like On Demand or myDVR (or from any area in the guide), try using the "Last" key on the Comcast silver remote control (instead of *Exit'). Last acts like a "back" button to step you back to the previous screen.

Exit Key
To dismiss the DVR transport bar (or any on-screen notification), simply press the exit key on the remote control. When the recording that you are watching ends, you can press the EXIT key so you don't have to wait up to 10 seconds before you have the option to "Delete recording" or "Don't delete recording".

5 Minute Skip
Use the Page + Key, to skip forward 5 minutes.
Use the Page - Key, to skip back 5 minutes.

30 Second Skip
I discovered that the 30 second skip ahead works with the SA 8300 HD DVR and the old TIME WARNER CABLE remote. It is the * key. I don't know if this works with any other set-top box and remote. Another poster, said it was easy to program into his harmony remote. It worked, as well as the instant replay function.

Slow Motion
On your DVR, to watch a section in slow-motion, press the play button, then the pause button and then the FF button one time to go slow motion forward or the REW button once to go backwards in slow motion.

Play Option
Resumes from where you stopped - actually something new.

Restart Option
Starts the program from the beginning.

Subtitles (Captions)
To turn the subtitles (captions) on via the cable box, press the Menu button twice on the silver Comcast remote control, then Setup, then Subtitle Setup.

Manage your Series Priority List
(Menu, DVR, Series Priority) to insure that the prime time programs/recordings are of a higher priority. The airings of the lower priority shows should still record in the off-prime time slots.

Manual DVR Recording
To set up a recurring manual recording - Press the My DVR button on your Comcast remote control, select Set a Recording, then Set a Manual recording, enter in your start and end times and start date. Choose the channel and then view recording settings - the settings can be modified to record once, every day, once a week, or weekdays.

DVR Series Recording Options Explanation
There are three options:
1) Only new episodes
2) New and repeats - only records each episode one time
3) All with duplicates - is not discretionary and records the episode numerous times

Save Only One Episode
The default is "All Episodes". You can change that to save only 1 episode (this would save only the most recent episode). The other options allow you to save 2 episodes up to 7 episodes. From the grid, select a series to record. Press OK/Select and then arrow over to the red dot on the info screen (set or cancel a recording) Press OK/Select. Choose "Set Up a series recording". Then select "View all settings". Arrow down to "Save:"

Pause, Swap, Pause
A new feature that is available with the new guide is the Pause, Swap, Pause functionality, which allows a customer to pause a current program that they are watching (i.e. football game on one channel), swap tuners to another channel and watch the programming on that channel for five minutes, pause that channel and then swap back to the original channel (football game), which is still paused. Not meant to be a replacement for PIP, but a low tech full-screen alternative that may suffice in many cases.
Note: Use the "SWAP" key to swap tuners.

DVR Clipping
The DVR clipping feature is designed to outsmart your DVR scheduled recordings if they overlap by five minutes or less. For example, your DVR will stay tuned to a show that is scheduled to run a couple minutes over the hour to catch the end, and still be smart enough to pick up the second recording you have scheduled once it?s already in progress - even if the second show has a higher priority. This feature should be defaulted to 'on', but it might be good to check that. Press the menu button twice on the Comcast silver remote control, then select Setup from the screen, then DVR setup. Both 'Live Program Notice' and 'DVR Clipping' should be set to 'On'. To modify those settings, use the arrows to toggle the feature on or off.

Adjust the Start and End Times
After selecting the red circle from the program info screen (Set or cancel a recording), you can select an option "View recording settings for this program". There you can adjust the start recording and/or stop recording time in various increments from this screen.

Deleting a DVR Recording
After watching a recording, you can use the right arrow to move over three spaces to the X icon (Delete this program). Use your silver Comcast remote control to press OK/Select than OK/Select again to confirm that action.

Can't Turn Off Cable Box if it is Recording
The previous guide software did allow you to turn the DVR box off (it actually went into standby) when you were recording a program, the new guide software does not. This is certainly a slight change in behavior and in line with what the majority of our customers are used to and have in their home today. You can certainly leave the cable box on and the TV off when recording programs. If you leave your cable box off, it will turn on to record according to what you have scheduled. With the new on-screen guide, when you attempt to turn off the cable box while a DVR recording is in progress, an on-screen message appears that says the following: "A recording is in progress. Turning off your cable box will stop all recordings in progress." There are two options presented on-screen underneath this message.

1. Continue recording, leave cable box on
2. Stop recording, turn cable box off.

You can chose one of those options. If no selection is chosen the on-screen message will time out and the DVR will continue to record.

Quick Way to Record a Series
A quick way to record a series through the guide listings grid is to press the record button twice on the silver Comcast remote control.

Problem with Recording Repeats when 'Record New Episodes' option is Set
With this new on-screen guide we also have a new guide data listings provider. This is the same data listings provider that is used in our Motorola markets and most all cable systems .

How the DVR interprets the guide listings data is by looking at the New and Repeat "flag" in the data. The DVR doesn't determine if an episode is new by reading a value of "New," instead it determines if an episode is new by not seeing a value of "Repeat." And repeat is determined by mostly comparing the Original Air Date (OAD) to the scheduled air date. Currently, our data partner works on a three day rule. If a show is marked as 'New' and is scheduled to record new episodes only, the DVR could certainly also record the same show if those shows are within three days of the Original Air Date. It would still be considered 'new' and could re-record within three days.

Anticipating your next question, the concern with making the 3-day rule a 1-day rule is that the OAD value is the premiere date of a program in the U.S., however, it may not premiere on the same date in every market. This is definitely true with some of the syndicated talk shows like Oprah and Dr. Phil, which some markets may air the episodes on a one-day or two-day delay from when most markets premiere new episodes. It can also happen on the smaller networks like CW, or even FOX at times. It happens quite a bit when a local CW or FOX affiliate also has broadcast rights to local sports events. For example, when the Phillies season starts (GO PHILS), a CW episode of Gossip Girl or One Tree Hill may not air at its regularly scheduled day/time because of a Phillies game, and will likely air at an off-hour time. However, the OAD for that episode would be the regularly scheduled day/time, because that's when it premiered in some (most) markets. The fear in this case is that the DVR would not record these new episodes when they should be recorded. The theory here is that it is better to over-record than to under-record.

We do have something very similar to the "record this time, this day, this channel" for DVRs included in a future guide release coming later this year.

One option is to set a manual DVR recording: To set up a recurring manual recording - Press the My DVR button on your Comcast remote control, select Set a Recording, then Set a Manual recording, enter in your start and end times and start date. Choose the channel and then view recording settings - the settings can be modified to record once, every day, once a week, or weekdays.

Another option: Change the DVR recording options to "Save only one episode". The default is "All Episodes". You can change that to save only 1 episode (this would save only the most recent episode). The other options allow you to save 2 episodes up to 7 episodes.

From the grid, select a series to record. Press OK/Select and then arrow over to the red dot on the info screen (set or cancel a recording) Press OK/Select.

Choose "Set Up a series recording". Then select "View all settings". Arrow down to "Save:".

Scheduled Recordings
Press the myDVR button on the silver Comcast remote control then choose Scheduled Recordings for today. To view additional scheduled recordings, use the right arrow button to show the next day. Each additional arrow press should move you out a day to view scheduled recordings.

Action Color
In the guide, the area that is highlighted for an action via OK/Select is in yellow.

Pass-Through is Not Supported
If a SA cable box was set to pass-through before the SA guide change, that should now be set to 1080i with a 480p override. This will display HD sources in 1080i and SD sources in 480p. Or set all channels to either 720p or 1080i. To verify or modify this setting, turn off the set-top box (leave the TV on) and press channel up and down at the same time on the front panel of the box. That should activate the user settings.

External Hard Drive
For our DVR customers in Scientific Atlanta areas who may be using a separate external hard drive (connected via e-SATA) for additional DVR storage, that functionality is expected to continue and the existing DVR recordings should have been preserved. While not an officially supported Comcast configuration, we have extensively tested the new guide with external hard drives and the e-SATA port in our labs and in the field. Any existing external hard drives will be able to be used with the new guide for future recordings similar to how it is used today. We have had several customers also report in this blog that their existing recordings were preserved on their external hard drive.[/u]

View the Guide Diagnostics
Using the Comcast silver remote control, press the Menu button twice, then select Setup, then Cable Box Setup, then choose Configuration - press "Select to display" and then press the 'Fav' button on the remote control to go through additional diagnostic pages. Note: The guide diagnostics are different than the SA diagnostics.

View the SA Diagnostics
SA diagnostics and status screens can be found these ways:
RNG cable boxes: Power off the box, Press down the power button on the cable box until the green light blinks twice, then press power button again.
All Other SA boxes: Power off the cable box, Press the OK/Select button and the Info button on the cable box at the same time.

Other ways:
Turn the cable box off and turn the TV on.

There are two ways to view the SA diagnostics

1. Press and hold Select on front of unit until Mail light starts to flash, then press INFO.
2. Press and hold Pause on remote until Mail light starts to flash (around 10-15 seconds), then press Page Up (-). On some remotes, Page (+) might need to be used instead.

Note: The SA diagnostics are different than the guide diagnostics.
post #8707 of 9987 Old 04-11-2011, 05:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Wow--fantastic post, RussB--many thanks!
post #8708 of 9987 Old 04-11-2011, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruhnke View Post
Wow--fantastic post, RussB--many thanks!
You are welcome.

If anyone finds a mistake or something I should add, delete or change in the post, please let me know.

Click on the "GUIDE TIPS" link in my signature to go to the post.

Click on the "GUIDE BLOG" link in my signature to go to Comcast's Ted Hodgins, Sr. Director, Video Product Development - Navigation, in Media & Entertainment, "New Guide for Scientific Atlanta Cable Boxes" blog.

Click on the HOUSTON link to go to the first post in this thread.

Click on the HOTP link to go to the first post in the "Hot Off the Press" thread.
post #8709 of 9987 Old 04-12-2011, 05:41 AM

So where are the new channels? oh, laaaaater, riiiight.
post #8710 of 9987 Old 04-12-2011, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Since the guide update I have been getting increased pixelation and video lag/droupout on certain HD channels. Anyone else noticing this? I noticed it with Disney Channel HD, Encore HD and Starz HD recently. Also noticing this with some On Demand content, though I can usually fix that by stopping and restarting a show.

post #8711 of 9987 Old 04-12-2011, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Since the guide update I have been getting increased pixelation and video lag/droupout on certain HD channels. Anyone else noticing this? I noticed it with Disney Channel HD, Encore HD and Starz HD recently. Also noticing this with some On Demand content, though I can usually fix that by stopping and restarting a show.

OnDemand has always had occasional problems with glitches. I saw them on the old guide on my 8300HD, and I see them with the new guide on the RNG200. For me, it's an "either it works or it doesn't" situation--I'll immediately notice jerky/pixellated playback, and it won't ever go away by itself, or else I'll have smooth, clean playback, and it'll stay that way. As you say, stopping and restarting will solve the problem.

I have never had any issues with any of my regular HD channels, either before or after the new guide deployment.
post #8712 of 9987 Old 04-12-2011, 07:14 PM

Got the e-mail several weeks ago,then i received the guide pamphlet in the mail last week.Tonight, I get the phone call and new guide is supposed to be "installed" between midnight and 6 am.I am in Pasadena,77505.
post #8713 of 9987 Old 04-12-2011, 09:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by finallyabigtv View Post

Got the e-mail several weeks ago,then i received the guide pamphlet in the mail last week.Tonight, I get the phone call and new guide is supposed to be "installed" between midnight and 6 am.I am in Pasadena,77505.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

I wonder why some people got all three types of notification, while others got none or only one or two types of notification?
post #8714 of 9987 Old 04-13-2011, 08:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

DVRs would have a bigger market penetration if the cable companies would offer a better user interface for the users.

. . .

Click the following link to see the rest of the post in the "Hot Off the Press" thread:

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post20301670
post #8715 of 9987 Old 04-14-2011, 07:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

A friend of mine in League City got the new guide yesterday. Of course, he doesn't have the PVR, so he doesn't get all the "goodies" the new guide brings.

Mike
Houston Comcast
post #8716 of 9987 Old 04-14-2011, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

DVRs would have a bigger market penetration if the cable companies would offer a better user interface for the users.

. . .

Click the following link to see the rest of the post in the "Hot Off the Press" thread:

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post20301670

Or an interface that just worked - for the few shortcomings of the previous guide, at least it worked most of the time in a logical manner!

Mike
Houston Comcast
post #8717 of 9987 Old 04-14-2011, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Well. . .I'm torn on whether to switch to Tivo. I really don't care for the new guide, and I've experienced 2 major issues since the switch that never happened before. It turns out I DID lose some of my scheduled recordings in the transition, but I didn't notice it. And even when it recorded Breakout Kings the other night, it recorded about 20 actual minutes of the program, stated it was 45 minutes, but it's a 60 minute program! Luckily everything that was missed or recorded in error was "On Demand" (FIRST time I've used that EVER). I am giving serious consideration to Tivo at this point.

On another note, anyone catch the latest Comcast internet news (otherwise known as "how to blow your monthly data cap in one day")? And of course, not available in Houston (yet):

Comcast introduces Extreme 105 - 105 megabits per second!
post #8718 of 9987 Old 04-14-2011, 08:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

My 8 second rewind and 5 minute jump back buttons have both recently stopped working. Regular rewind seems to be working okay. Anyone else noticing this?

post #8719 of 9987 Old 04-14-2011, 09:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, I have had that problem. Rebooting, by unplugging it and plugging it back in, fixes the problem for a while until it happens again. When rebooting, wait until the clock comes back on for the second time. A reboot takes about 3 minutes but the guide data takes a long time to be restored.
post #8720 of 9987 Old 04-14-2011, 11:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks, Russ, the reboot took care of things.

post #8721 of 9987 Old 04-15-2011, 06:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

This new guide could push people to alternative STBs faster than anything Comcast has done in the past! way to go Comcast!
EDIT: I see the Ceton InfiniTV 4 is now on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Ceton-Infinitv...=1CYRW5KBHFDID

Mike
Houston Comcast
post #8722 of 9987 Old 04-15-2011, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmatheny View Post

This new guide could push people to alternative STBs faster than anything Comcast has done in the past! way to go Comcast!
EDIT: I see the Ceton InfiniTV 4 is now on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Ceton-Infinitv...=1CYRW5KBHFDID

Thanks for the link Mike. This is the other alternative I'm considering, but I don't have extenders at every location (but I do have distributed A/V, so I could put one extender at the distribution hub. . .)

How has the guide data been for you? It uses Media Center guide info correct?
post #8723 of 9987 Old 04-15-2011, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes, the Ceton use the MC guide data, and MS uses Zap2It for guide data, and has been spot on - actually, I have had the coming channels in my guide for almost 2 months now - now all I need are the channels to actually be offered in my area!

Mike
Houston Comcast
post #8724 of 9987 Old 04-15-2011, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

It pushed me to the Ceton. The new guide has been glitchy for me so far plus it refuses to see many of our shows as series to record. Giving my new setup A couple of weeks then I start returning DVRs.

Edit: plus with the Ceton I can now watch my sporting events in my office on the pc in there.
post #8725 of 9987 Old 04-15-2011, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I like the idea of a Ceton card setup. I just wish the 1990s would get here and a roll-your-own solution would work with OnDemand, too. That's the only thing I would miss if I ditched the Comcast DVR/STB, but I'd miss it enough that it keeps me from abandoning the box.
post #8726 of 9987 Old 04-15-2011, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruhnke View Post

I like the idea of a Ceton card setup. I just wish the 1990s would get here and a roll-your-own solution would work with OnDemand, too. That's the only thing I would miss if I ditched the Comcast DVR/STB, but I'd miss it enough that it keeps me from abandoning the box.

I'll be keeping one regular box for on demand. A single reg box is included in your account. The Ceton just replaces the DVRs
post #8727 of 9987 Old 04-15-2011, 08:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I added a Known Problems section to my "GUIDE TIPS" post, click the second link in my signature.
post #8728 of 9987 Old 04-16-2011, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Is there any need for me to use Comcast Access on my PC's with the switchover to XFINITY?

Robert
post #8729 of 9987 Old 04-16-2011, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

A week of recordings on the Ceton and so far, no issues. Just finished replacing the DVR downstairs with an old XBox360, so the wife will have a consistent UI on both TV's.

Still keeping the Comcast DVR's at least through the end of the month as a 'backup' in case the current setup fails - but here is what I am doing:

One old PC (AMD X64 based) upstairs that was already hooked up to the TV got a Ceton card added. This machine is 'borderline' for this use but has performed flawlessly so far. If this works out I will update it with a newer MB/Processor and more RAM and probably spend the extra for an AV rack friendly case. This box is my central media server - so the upgrades will eventually be needed anyway.

Already had 2 XBox360s - going to be using them as set top boxes. I will probably still watch the HTPC directly upstairs, but it is not currently 'wife ready'

So going from 2 Comcast DVR's that could only record 2 shows at a time each and could only play back video on one TV to 1 PC with a Ceton card that can record 4 shows at a time that can be watched from any TV in the house as well as any computer (Mac or PC) in the house for non-protected recordings. Net ability to watch/record live TV has not changed, but I now have complete flexibility on where I watch + the ability (via the RemotePotato app) to schedule recordings while away from home.
post #8730 of 9987 Old 04-16-2011, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Wow this ceton card sounds like the way to go, so can you watch live tv using the xboxs? Also when are we doing the group meetup
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page