AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Local HDTV Info and Reception (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/45-local-hdtv-info-reception/)
-   -   Atlanta, GA - OTA (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/45-local-hdtv-info-reception/384623-atlanta-ga-ota.html)

richart 01-24-2020 06:20 PM

When WSB moved to the temporary tower, my signal strength and quality improved and I had the best reception ever. Now that they are back at their original tower, my signal level and quality has decreased but not to as low a level as it was before the repack.

I get a one edge signal from that original tower location. It seems to refract off a wooded ridge about eight miles away from me. When the hardwoods have their leaves on that ridge they interfere with the signal. In the winter with no leaves on the trees, I get good reception.

It will be interesting to see with the stronger signal and the elliptical polarization how my signals hold up this coming spring and summer.

DMarkson 01-25-2020 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richart (Post 59149654)
When WSB moved to the temporary tower, my signal strength and quality improved and I had the best reception ever. Now that they are back at their original tower, my signal level and quality has decreased but not to as low a level as it was before the repack.

I get a one edge signal from that original tower location. It seems to refract off a wooded ridge about eight miles away from me. When the hardwoods have their leaves on that ridge they interfere with the signal. In the winter with no leaves on the trees, I get good reception.

It will be interesting to see with the stronger signal and the elliptical polarization how my signals hold up this coming spring and summer.

I can't wait for ATSC 3.0 to do away with all this ATSC 1.0 reception nonsense!!! It's been like squeezing water in a balloon...:rolleyes:

LeRoyK 01-25-2020 08:28 AM

My brief experience so far with the new WSB antenna in the old location.

First day perfect.
This morning, lots of break ups. 10 mph west wind, bare trees.

I wonder what will happen when there are leaves on the trees.

84lion 01-31-2020 05:48 PM

Has WXIA 11.2 dropped WeatherNation? They've been running something else (simulcast of 36.1?) on the .2 subchannel the past couple days.

ChrisC47 02-01-2020 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 84lion (Post 59182108)
Has WXIA 11.2 dropped WeatherNation? They've been running something else (simulcast of 36.1?) on the .2 subchannel the past couple days.

I came in here to post about that. I tune into that channel multiple times a day (I keep one Tivo tuner dedicated to it), and I think it changed late Thursday or early Friday. I called WXIA and talked with a nice woman in their programming department (Priscilla? Penelope? Pamela?) who said that their contract with WeatherNation had ended and they were now looking for a new programming source. The crime/procedural programming they have on it now is temporary. She said that the new programming could be anything, not necessarily weather, which would be an annoying new roadbump the morning routine I've had for a decade.

I've been watching that weather feed on 11.2 for, what, 15 years? As I recall (and probably documented in this thread), it started out with a simple view of their radar, live 24/7. Then they started running Weather Channel programming, with short local forecast reports (produced by WXIA with their on-air talent) every 10 minutes or so -- on the 10s? Then they switched to WeatherNation, and still had the local reports every 10-15 minutes . Then a year or so ago they dropped the local production for a computer generated loop. WeatherNation covered the US southeast forecast every 30 minutes, so I was still getting a semi local report. Since I had a Tivo tuner dedicated to it, I could just turn on the TV, rewind to the most recent segment in the 30 minute buffer, and so within 10 seconds -boom- instant high-quality forecast.

I'm sorry to see it go. If you care, give WXIA a call at 404-892-1611, ask for the programming department, and let them know that you really like the weather programming and think they should keep some sort of 24/7 weather source on that channel. It was unique in the Atlanta market.

84lion 02-01-2020 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisC47 (Post 59184092)
I came in here to post about that. I tune into that channel multiple times a day (I keep one Tivo tuner dedicated to it), and I think it changed late Thursday or early Friday. I called WXIA and talked with a nice woman in their programming department (Priscilla? Penelope? Pamela?) who said that their contract with WeatherNation had ended and they were now looking for a new programming source. The crime/procedural programming they have on it now is temporary. She said that the new programming could be anything, not necessarily weather, which would be an annoying new roadbump the morning routine I've had for a decade.

I've been watching that weather feed on 11.2 for, what, 15 years? As I recall (and probably documented in this thread), it started out with a simple view of their radar, live 24/7. Then they started running Weather Channel programming, with short local forecast reports (produced by WXIA with their on-air talent) every 10 minutes or so -- on the 10s? Then they switched to WeatherNation, and still had the local reports every 10-15 minutes . Then a year or so ago they dropped the local production for a computer generated loop. WeatherNation covered the US southeast forecast every 30 minutes, so I was still getting a semi local report. Since I had a Tivo tuner dedicated to it, I could just turn on the TV, rewind to the most recent segment in the 30 minute buffer, and so within 10 seconds -boom- instant high-quality forecast.

I'm sorry to see it go. If you care, give WXIA a call at 404-892-1611, ask for the programming department, and let them know that you really like the weather programming and think they should keep some sort of 24/7 weather source on that channel. It was unique in the Atlanta market.

ChrisC, thanks. I did the same thing you did, I kept one tuner on our OTA Tivo(s) dedicated to 11.2 just so I could get a quick weather fix. Hope they can figure out something other than some other "niche" programming. I agree, the 11.2 weather channel was unique and really worthwhile. I'll miss it. I know you can get the same thing online but the "loop" 11.2 ran included other info like radar, expected precipitation, etc.

richart 02-01-2020 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisC47 (Post 59184092)

It is great that the weather was helpful for so many people over the years. If they decide to do some other type of programming, it would be great to see something like the Heroes and Icons channel or Retro TV

84lion 02-02-2020 12:20 PM

I wonder if WXIA would have the bold vision to become Atlanta’s first TV station with a subchannel dedicated 24/7 to local news. WXIA covers news, weather, and traffic. Why not leverage that which is available to create a half-hour “news/weather/traffic wheel” that could provide, say, 10 minutes of news stories, 5 minutes of local weather, 5 minutes of national weather (with a quick look at the 7 day local forecast), 5 minutes of traffic, and use the remaining time for commercials? This could also be monetized by “sponsors” (e.g. – “7 day forecast sponsored by…”). WAGA already does something like this by giving “Mr. Rooter” a tagline below their forecast. For the most part, the news could be “looped” or re-used (see WSB weekend coverage) and traffic could be replaced by sports or some other “soft news” during light traffic periods.
IMO the local stations underestimate the value of TV as “background noise” and a dedicated news/weather/traffic channel fits that quite well. You don’t need to pay full attention constantly, but if something catches your attention, you can (if you have an OTA DVR) rewind to it and give it greater attention. While you’re doing that, you’re seeing the ads. Seems like a win-win to me.

ShoelessJoe 02-02-2020 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 84lion (Post 59189602)
I wonder if WXIA would have the bold vision to become Atlanta’s first TV station with a subchannel dedicated 24/7 to local news. WXIA covers news, weather, and traffic. Why not leverage that which is available to create a half-hour “news/weather/traffic wheel” that could provide, say, 10 minutes of news stories, 5 minutes of local weather, 5 minutes of national weather (with a quick look at the 7 day local forecast), 5 minutes of traffic, and use the remaining time for commercials? This could also be monetized by “sponsors” (e.g. – “7 day forecast sponsored by…”). WAGA already does something like this by giving “Mr. Rooter” a tagline below their forecast. For the most part, the news could be “looped” or re-used (see WSB weekend coverage) and traffic could be replaced by sports or some other “soft news” during light traffic periods.
IMO the local stations underestimate the value of TV as “background noise” and a dedicated news/weather/traffic channel fits that quite well. You don’t need to pay full attention constantly, but if something catches your attention, you can (if you have an OTA DVR) rewind to it and give it greater attention. While you’re doing that, you’re seeing the ads. Seems like a win-win to me.

WSB Now on 2-4 already does this. Just saying. But not a terrible idea.

richart 02-02-2020 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShoelessJoe (Post 59190574)
WSB Now on 2-4 already does this. Just saying. But not a terrible idea.

When did 2.4 go live? Don't recall seeing anything about it. I must have missed that one. Will have to go back and re-scan.

ShoelessJoe 02-02-2020 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richart (Post 59191348)
When did 2.4 go live? Don't recall seeing anything about it. I must have missed that one. Will have to go back and re-scan.

I could be mistaken, but I know it's available via their AppleTV and Roku app.

I can't see what's on OTA, but I could have sworn it was on 2-4.

84lion 02-03-2020 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richart (Post 59191348)

I was wondering that myself. I was all set to blame Tivo for taking their usual sweet time to add channels (I hadn't rescanned recently on our newer Tivo, where rescanning is fairly painless, our older Tivo HDs take forever to rescan), but then I checked our Samsung TV; I rescanned and it doesn't show 2-4, although it does pick up all the other WSB subchannels.

I checked WSB's website and it appears "WSB Now" is an Amazon Fire TV or Roku App. I checked their weather "live stream" on the computer and it's rather cumbersome. You have to sit thru a commercial, and then you get the stream, which may or may not have what you want at the moment. If all I want is the radar and 5 day forecast, it's just as easy, and quicker, to go on the computer to WSB's (or another station's) website to get the information. The WSB Now thing may be great for those people who can't receive WSB over-the-air, especially if they're interested in the news part. I may check it out on Fire TV.

tylerSC 02-03-2020 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 84lion (Post 59192126)
I was wondering that myself. I was all set to blame Tivo for taking their usual sweet time to add channels (I hadn't rescanned recently on our newer Tivo, where rescanning is fairly painless, our older Tivo HDs take forever to rescan), but then I checked our Samsung TV; I rescanned and it doesn't show 2-4, although it does pick up all the other WSB subchannels.

I checked WSB's website and it appears "WSB Now" is an Amazon Fire TV or Roku App. I checked their weather "live stream" on the computer and it's rather cumbersome. You have to sit thru a commercial, and then you get the stream, which may or may not have what you want at the moment. If all I want is the radar and 5 day forecast, it's just as easy, and quicker, to go on the computer to WSB's (or another station's) website to get the information. The WSB Now thing may be great for those people who can't receive WSB over-the-air, especially if they're interested in the news part. I may check it out on Fire TV.

WSB Now is a very good live news streaming app on Roku, Amazon Fire, and Apple TV. It carries the live newscasts and shows repeat broadcasts during the rest of the day. The Cox stations have excellent live streams and also include WSOC Now from Charlotte, although I normally receive with an antenna, but an excellent backup if you are on the fringe. Video quality is good.

tustinfarm 03-08-2020 08:26 AM

WSB signal improved

There was a sudden leap in the WSB signal strength and decode quality around March 4th, here in Athens. I surmise they must have made another temporary tower move, since the spectrum analyzer plot for RF32 looks very clean, without all of the multipath edge jaggies I normally have seen due to being in the Stone Mountain shadow. Looks even better than the signal quality than during the repack phase last fall, when the tower was temporarily re-located moving that shadow to some other unlucky area. I would be delighted if it were a permanent change, but I won't allow myself that dream, just yet.

Update 3/10/20...
It's been almost a week now and the improved signal quality for WSB is still holding here in Athens.

rdvegas 03-09-2020 09:07 PM

Prism owns Atlanta's WEQT-9, WDNV-12, WTBS-26, and WANN-32. Dr. Vince is the main guy of the company. He also owns two stations in Las Vegas. Each of those is horribly maintained. Extreme low volume, wrong aspect ratios, blank screens, a guide that lists wrong station and programming info, etc., etc., etc. I hope that Atlanta viewers are being entertained with Prism stations better maintained than the viewers are of those owned station in Las Vegas. If Dr. Vince intends to attend the NAB Convention in Vegas next month, I'd hope he plans to do some serious tech work before he slinks out of town for the safety of his Midtown penthouse.

tustinfarm 03-10-2020 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdvegas (Post 59351798)
...He also owns two stations in Las Vegas. Each of those is horribly maintained. Extreme low volume, wrong aspect ratios, blank screens, a guide that lists wrong station and programming info, etc., etc., etc. I hope that Atlanta viewers are being entertained with Prism stations better maintained than the viewers are of those owned station in Las Vegas.

Sadly the Atlanta stations like WANN are still an ugly mess like those you describe in Vegas. And it's been that way for years. It's just hard to comprehend how a valuable resource like that could be squandered in such a fashion. Especially since many of the errors are simple fixes in the encoder settings for aspect ratio or sound levels. A competent engineer could probaby tackle most of the mis-configurations in an hour or two...sigh. My only conclusion, after years of pondering this, is that the spectrum itself must be valuable enough that they just make sure there is a TV carrier present, in order to hold onto the spectrum, until it can be sold somewhere down the line when terrestrial broadcasting goes away (god forbid!), and are auctioned off to 5g carriers etc. Or perhaps they hope to sell the spectrum to would be ATSC 3.0 broadcasters.

rdvegas 03-10-2020 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tustinfarm (Post 59354632)
Sadly the Atlanta stations like WANN are still an ugly mess like those you describe in Vegas. And it's been that way for years. It's just hard to comprehend how a valuable resource like that could be squandered in such a fashion. Especially since many of the errors are simple fixes in the encoder settings for aspect ratio or sound levels. A competent engineer could probaby tackle most of the mis-configurations in an hour or two...sigh. My only conclusion, after years of pondering this, is that the spectrum itself must be valuable enough that they just make sure there is a TV carrier present, in order to hold onto the spectrum, until it can be sold somewhere down the line when terrestrial broadcasting goes away (god forbid!), and are auctioned off to 5g carriers etc. Or perhaps they hope to sell the spectrum to would be ATSC 3.0 broadcasters.

Thanks Tustinfarm for your insight. It's up to us, as viewers, to write to the FCC and complain. It may not help instantly, but I believe overall that complaints will prevent the license from being renewed.

tustinfarm 03-10-2020 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdvegas (Post 59354906)
It's up to us, as viewers, to write to the FCC and complain. It may not help instantly, but I believe overall that complaints will prevent the license from being renewed.

Interesting point, I wonder if there has ever been a case where a station license was not renewed based on public input - I imagine it must be extremely rare. I just looked up WANN (Virtual 32 in Atlanta), and if I understand correctly, their license expires on April 1 of 2021 (April Fool's day!). So it might be worth figuring out how to submit comments to the FCC prior to the renewal process next year.

All that said, I have had some success in getting stations like WANN to correct gross problems with their picture/sound by contacting a sub-channel network directly, etc, since the network is paying to have their content carried over the air. The possibility of lost revenue does still motivate people and institutions. A few months ago I successfully got WAGA to correct a long-standing aspect ratio problem on LightTV (virtual 5.5) by contacting LightTV directly.

rdvegas 03-11-2020 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tustinfarm (Post 59355866)
Interesting point, I wonder if there has ever been a case where a station license was not renewed based on public input - I imagine it must be extremely rare. I just looked up WANN (Virtual 32 in Atlanta), and if I understand correctly, their license expires on April 1 of 2021 (April Fool's day!). So it might be worth figuring out how to submit comments to the FCC prior to the renewal process next year.

All that said, I have had some success in getting stations like WANN to correct gross problems with their picture/sound by contacting a sub-channel network directly, etc, since the network is paying to have their content carried over the air. The possibility of lost revenue does still motivate people and institutions. A few months ago I successfully got WAGA to correct a long-standing aspect ratio problem on LightTV (virtual 5.5) by contacting LightTV directly.

Many years ago, a Boston station lost their license after quite some time in the courts. Not sure if any of that litigation was the result of viewer complaints, however.

rdvegas 03-11-2020 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tustinfarm (Post 59355866)

Many years ago, a Boston station lost their license after quite some time in the courts. Not sure if any of that litigation was the result of viewer complaints, however.

richart 03-11-2020 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdvegas (Post 59351798)
Prism owns Atlanta's WEQT-9, WDNV-12, WTBS-26, and WANN-32. Dr. Vince is the main guy of the company. He also owns two stations in Las Vegas. Each of those is horribly maintained. Extreme low volume, wrong aspect ratios, blank screens, a guide that lists wrong station and programming info, etc., etc., etc. I hope that Atlanta viewers are being entertained with Prism stations better maintained than the viewers are of those owned station in Las Vegas. If Dr. Vince intends to attend the NAB Convention in Vegas next month, I'd hope he plans to do some serious tech work before he slinks out of town for the safety of his Midtown penthouse.

They also own a couple of stations in both Reno, NV and Amarillo, TX and stations in Macon, GA and Jefferson City, MO...all low power broadcasters. It would be interesting to see if the operation even makes a profit, or if it is a tax write off of some type. Like one of the other respondents, I think they are just doing to minimum to keep the channel licensed with the hopes of selling at some point.