post #4231 of 4253 Old 04-25-2020, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1080 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skepilot View Post
I've read that putting an antenna in an attic can reduce the signal by 30% vs. putting it outside on the roof. Of course, the wife doesn't want a "big ugly" antenna on the roof. So, my choices are, a big/ugly antenna in the attic, or a smaller/prettier antenna outside on the roof.

I'm about 42 miles from most of the broadcast stations and have lots of trees on my lot.
Hello, Skepilot; welcome to the forum.

There will be signal loss with the antenna in the attic, but we don't yet know how much that loss is in your attic.

The right antenna for your location needs to be based on its performance with the signals at your location, not the appearance of the antenna.

Before we can begin to make an antenna recommendation, we need to see a signal report for your location as requested in the sticky:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/25-hd...-1st-post.html

You can do a signal report here:
https://www.rabbitears.info/searchmap.php

Since you don't yet have enough posts to give an active link to your report, just gives us the ID number of the report at the end of the link.

At 42 miles away with trees that block signals in the path, I suggest that you first make some tests with an antenna in the attic to see what reception is possible. If the trees are very dense, it is possible that you will not be able to have satisfactory OTA reception at your location even with an outdoor antenna. Your choices then become satellite, cable, or streaming.

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
www.megalithia.com/elect/aerialsite/dttpoorman.html

Last edited by rabbit73; 04-25-2020 at 07:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4232 of 4253 Old 04-25-2020, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post
You can do a signal report here:

Since you don't yet have enough posts to give an active link to your report, just gives us the ID number of the report at the end of the link.

At 42 miles away with trees that block signals in the path, I suggest that you first make some tests with an antenna in the attic to see what reception is possible. If the trees are very dense, it is possible that you will not be able to have satisfactory OTA reception at your location even with an outdoor antenna. Your choices then become satellite, cable, or streaming.
I had one of those little flat behind-the-tv antennas at my city house, so I brought it out here just to see what I could get. I was surprised to get a half-dozen channels or so just with that, though not very steady/reliable. Based on that, I figure it's probably worth a try to put something bigger in the attic.

Here's my RabbitEars result ID: 83617.

Thanks!
post #4233 of 4253 Old 04-25-2020, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked: 1390
This is mine, bought 15 years ago or so at a radio shack, whilst they still lived. Not too big, but pulls in OTA broadcasts from about 50 miles away with up to 100% signal strength.
Oh yeah, and a formation of World War 2 fighter planes doing a fly by on one 4th of July.
You can always test if you want to make the effort. Put an antenna in the attic, get it aligned properly and check your signal strength and the quality of the image. If it works, leave it, if it doesn't, put it on the roof..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0286.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	586.8 KB
ID:	2716216  
tenthplanet, Squirrel! and MRAYB like this.

Last edited by shivaji; 04-25-2020 at 02:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4234 of 4253 Old 04-25-2020, 06:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1080 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skepilot View Post
I had one of those little flat behind-the-tv antennas at my city house, so I brought it out here just to see what I could get. I was surprised to get a half-dozen channels or so just with that, though not very steady/reliable. Based on that, I figure it's probably worth a try to put something bigger in the attic.

Here's my RabbitEars result ID: 83617.
Thank you for the report. Your test sounds promising. Here is the link to your report:
https://www.rabbitears.info/searchma...study_id=83617

It looks like that location is SSE of Atlanta in Monticello, GA.

Your desired channels are on UHF, so I suggest you try a Channel Master 4228HD or Antennas Direct DB8e (with both panels aimed in the same direction for max gain) antenna in the attic aimed at Atlanta. The only problem I see is with Fox, which is very weak from Atlanta. If you can't pick it up even with a preamp, as a test try Macon for Fox if it's important to you. But then you would need two antennas and a switch or a separate tuner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SkepilotAVSmap.JPG
Views:	436
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	2716544   Click image for larger version

Name:	SkepilotAVSreportRE2.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	322.2 KB
ID:	2716546  

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
www.megalithia.com/elect/aerialsite/dttpoorman.html

Last edited by rabbit73; 04-26-2020 at 11:04 AM.
post #4235 of 4253 Old 04-26-2020, 06:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Search for the "Ultimate TV antenna". You could drive and pick it up from your location I believe. It is not very large, or an eyesore, and is made so that it will last.
post #4236 of 4253 Old 04-26-2020, 06:56 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 2519 Post(s)
Liked: 4909
Moved to Atlanta thread. Please see posts that say Read Before Posting.... BEFORE posting. Thanks.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #4237 of 4253 Old 04-29-2020, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 61
ATSC 3.0 coming to Atlanta

Atlanta is purported to be one of the markets with a station broadcasting in ATSC 3.0 this year.

https://www.tvtechnology.com/news/at...v-be-available

I am anxious to find out which station will start the trial with 3.0...I am guessing one of the low power stations like WANN, on RF20. Now that would be an appropriate use of that transmitter and spectrum space, versus the misconfigured mess that has been broadcast for years. To this day their transmitter does not even send out a TSID value that identifies it, lol. On the other hand, WANN is one of the weakest stations signal-wise at my location, no surprise given the distance and low transmitter power.
post #4238 of 4253 Old 04-29-2020, 09:22 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by tustinfarm View Post
Atlanta is purported to be one of the markets with a station broadcasting in ATSC 3.0 this year.

https://www.tvtechnology.com/news/at...v-be-available

I am anxious to find out which station will start the trial with 3.0...I am guessing one of the low power stations like WANN, on RF20. Now that would be an appropriate use of that transmitter and spectrum space, versus the misconfigured mess that has been broadcast for years. To this day their transmitter does not even send out a TSID value that identifies it, lol. On the other hand, WANN is one of the weakest stations signal-wise at my location, no surprise given the distance and low transmitter power.
I would have doubts that one of the low power stations can afford to broadcast ATSC 3.0. They operate on a financial shoestring.
post #4239 of 4253 Old 04-29-2020, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richart View Post
I would have doubts that one of the low power stations can afford to broadcast ATSC 3.0. They operate on a financial shoestring.
My (optimistic) thinking is that one or more of the major networks have/will approach a low power station with an offer that would be difficult to refuse.
post #4240 of 4253 Old 04-30-2020, 07:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 915
Quote:

And that shoestring has frayed ends. We have the same owner as in Atlanta in Las Vegas for two LPTV stations that are the 'worstly' maintained.

Will the last subscriber leaving Dish Network please turn off the satellite.
post #4241 of 4253 Old 05-04-2020, 06:03 PM

WPBA/WGTV - why two PBS stations?

I've always wondered what the story is behind Atlanta having two PBS stations. Of course, WGTV has a much larger coverage area than WPBA. You would think it would be much more efficient to put all of the effort into just one station, so there must be an interesting "back story".

I'm certainly not complaining, since the repack last year made it possible for me to receive WPBA with 90% reliablity, and the 30.2 NHK subchannel has some fascinating content. And they have different schedules on their 8.1/30.1 PBS channels.
post #4242 of 4253 Old 05-04-2020, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 170
You have to go back to their original history. WGTV is the Atlanta station for the statewide Georgia Public Broadcasting that was originally Georgia Educational Television owned by the University of Georgia and was eventually transferred from the University to the Georgia Public Telecommunications Commission. WPBA originated two years prior to them in 1958 as WETV the local educational station owned by Atlanta Public Schools, who still owns the station.

Atlanta is far from the only market with more than one PBS. i.e. NYC has 4, the flagship WNET, Long Island's WLIW, New Jersey's NJTV via WNJB/WNJN, and Fairfield Connecticut's CPTV station WEDW. Up until the 90s they had even more, back when it was run by the board of education WNYE ran some PBS programming, along with the old WNYC-TV before the city sold it to Pax in 1996. The Philly DMA now has 4 too with WHYY and the southern NJ NJTV stations, along with WLVT and WPPT in the Lehigh Valley.
rdvegas, tustinfarm and NotShorty like this.

Last edited by KyL416; 05-04-2020 at 06:23 PM.
post #4243 of 4253 Old 05-20-2020, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If this needs to be a new post, let me know.

For some reason WPCH 17.1 does not come in. Other channels from that same tower (9.77 Degrees) include 69.1; 46.1;36.1; 69.1, etc. They all come in perfect. But 17 has such a weak signal I get nothing. This has just begun. I did realign the direction of my antenna to 10 degrees which gives me all stations except 17 (oh, and 30.1 which is at 11.85 degrees).

Any ideas?
post #4244 of 4253 Old 05-20-2020, 07:00 PM
GPM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Nope, all coming in fine across from PDK. My problem since the latest shuffle is dodgy 2.1, 30.1 in windy/rainy weather no matter what I do, a real bummer since they use to be rock solid.

Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.
post #4245 of 4253 Old 05-21-2020, 04:14 AM

OK, well I'm not as smart as I look (I know that is an arguable point), but I had my antenna pointing at the wrong 10 degrees. It was actually 350. So, that being said . . . I now have 17.1 back, but 30.1 still isn't being picked up.

30.1 is at 7* (12* Mag) and only 13.7 miles away. Unless it is just a weak signal . . . . .
post #4246 of 4253 Old 05-28-2020, 11:27 AM

NHK on 30.2 (WPBA) - garbled closed captions

I occasionally mute the TV and turn on closed captioning, and have noticed how garbled the captions are on 30.2 (NHK from Japan). The main WPBA (30.1) captions are fine, so I am assuming it is not a signal strength issue. Can anyone else confirm the captioning problem for 30.2?
post #4247 of 4253 Old 05-28-2020, 07:11 PM

Quote:
I occasionally mute the TV and turn on closed captioning, and have noticed how garbled the captions are on 30.2 (NHK from Japan). The main WPBA (30.1) captions are fine, so I am assuming it is not a signal strength issue. Can anyone else confirm the captioning problem for 30.2?
That's not garbled...the captions are in Japanese! (Just kidding...I couldn't resist.)
post #4248 of 4253 Old 06-02-2020, 08:25 AM

Quote:
That's not garbled...the captions are in Japanese! (Just kidding...I couldn't resist.)
LOL, I know, as I wrote that post I could just hear the replies about the captions being in Japanese.

I never received any reply from WPBA from the email I sent last week (of course!). I think maybe next I'll send a query to the NHK network; in the past I have usually had better luck contacting the network rather than the station itself, to get any response.

Separately, I was hoping there might be someone in the Atlanta area who could tune in 30.2 for a minute and confirm the closed captioning is messed up too.
post #4249 of 4253 Old 06-02-2020, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
I was hoping there might be someone in the Atlanta area who could tune in 30.2 for a minute and confirm the closed captioning is messed up too.
Confirmed. There is certainly some speech in Japanese or with a heavy accent, but the closed captions are basically worthless.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
tustinfarm likes this.
post #4250 of 4253 Old 06-02-2020, 12:31 PM
GPM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Right now it's working fine other than some speech is scrolling too fast for me to read all of it, but that may just be because I'm 74.

GM

Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.
post #4251 of 4253 Old 06-02-2020, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgerry View Post
OK, well I'm not as smart as I look (I know that is an arguable point), but I had my antenna pointing at the wrong 10 degrees. It was actually 350. So, that being said . . . I now have 17.1 back, but 30.1 still isn't being picked up.

30.1 is at 7* (12* Mag) and only 13.7 miles away. Unless it is just a weak signal . . . . .
Nope . . . Lost 17 again. I'm located in Jonesboro, just south of the airport. Didn't use to have any trouble with 17 until just recently. I've tried moving the antenna all different directions, to no avail.

maybe it's time for a new antenna??? Do the go bad?
post #4252 of 4253 Old 06-02-2020, 08:00 PM

Quote:

Separately, I was hoping there might be someone in the Atlanta area who could tune in 30.2 for a minute and confirm the closed captioning is messed up too.
After getting my UHF antenna repaired today and working properly again, I checked 30.2 tonight for a few minutes with CC on. You are right, it is garble. There are occasional words or portions of words that appear correctly but for the most part it is unusable.
tustinfarm likes this.
post #4253 of 4253 Old Yesterday, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgerry View Post
Nope . . . Lost 17 again. I'm located in Jonesboro, just south of the airport. Didn't use to have any trouble with 17 until just recently. I've tried moving the antenna all different directions, to no avail.

maybe it's time for a new antenna??? Do the go bad?
The signal graphs I have for WPCH don't show any recent shift in signal strength, so it doesn't sound like a change in the transmitter power output. What sort of antenna setup are you using? Being that close to the towers I imagine even an indoor antenna would work well.

Ideally you'd want to look at the RF spectrum for WPCH (RF channel 31) to see what is going on, whether it is a multi-path situation that developed, or an unusually weak/strong signal. But of course that requires some extra hardware.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Tags
antenna , attic , hdtv , roof , ugly

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page