Harrisonburg / Charlottesville, VA - HDTV - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #61 of 3816 Old 07-21-2004, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1661 Post(s)
Liked: 703
Quote:

Originally posted by 29Guy
Trip and WW6 (and anyone else):

WVIR-DT, 29-1 (ch 32), is now at full-power from Charlottesville. Let us know if you're receiving it. The Olympics in high-def, 24 hrs/day is only three weeks away!

Well, my Winegard PR-8800 gives me nothing pointing at Roanoke (will try with rotor later), but my Silver Sensor gives me some signal in any direction. Nothing on my Zenith HDV420, but my Hauppauge WinTV-D was able to decode it in a sweet spot. ^^

I'll report in when I use the rotor...

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 3816 Old 07-21-2004, 03:50 PM

I have to point my antenna directly at Charlottesville to get it, but when it's pointed there, it's got over 50% signal strength.

Much better than the analog looks!

Thanks NBC29!

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #63 of 3816 Old 07-21-2004, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm picking up 29.1 (WVIR-DT) so loud and clear where I am (about 10 miles west of Staunton) that the signal strength meter is at about 98.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 3816 Old 07-22-2004, 10:19 AM

WildWillie6, Trip in VA, Bill Johnson:

Thank you for the quick reports on reception...sounds like we have it tuned pretty well. You may be interested in the setup...we're operating a 3rd generation Thales Paragon transmitter equipped with two L3 multistage depressed collector IOT tubes running into a 2nd generation Dielectric center-fed, top-mounted pylon antenna. At the moment, this is considered a state-of-the-art transmission system.

You have confirmed what was expected...the 1,000 kW digital has greater range than the 5,000 kW analog. However, only Trip is receiving a line-of-site signal. Those of you in the Valley are probably receiving via knife-edge diffraction over the Blue Ridge Mountains. We would be interested in hearing if the signal-strength is consistent over long periods.

Quality digital transmission requires constant monitoring. If you see any unusual anomalies, please let us know.

Thanks!

29Guy
post #65 of 3816 Old 07-22-2004, 03:03 PM

Quote:

You have confirmed what was expected...the 1,000 kW digital has greater range than the 5,000 kW analog. However, only Trip is receiving a line-of-site signal. Those of you in the Valley are probably receiving via knife-edge diffraction over the Blue Ridge Mountains. We would be interested in hearing if the signal-strength is consistent over long periods.

My question now is this: Do you think WHTJ's digital will make it down to me here in Charlotte County? It looks like I will be getting a good deal more power from the digital than the analog.

Analog: 151 kW Directional Pattern

Digital: 340 kW Directional Pattern

Right now I can get WVIR-TV and WVIR-DT all the time with the antenna pointed at Charlottesville, but WHTJ-TV has NEVER been received, even during the strongest tropo. Right now, WCVE is brought to us by W60BM in Rustburg, but their engineer tells me that when W60BM's transmitter goes, they're just turning in the license. I want to know if I could then turn to WHTJ-DT (assuming they ever get full-power) for service. What's your opinion on this 29Guy? Others?

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #66 of 3816 Old 07-22-2004, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote from 29Guy:
"Those of you in the Valley are probably receiving (WVIR-DT) via knife-edge diffraction over the Blue Ridge Mountains."

My giant topographical map and ruler tell me that even with the Blue Ridge I have line-of-sight to WVIR-DT's transmitter. There's a gap near Afton Mtn. with the surrounding terrain only about 1200 ft. in elevation; and that and my house's elevation of about 1800 ft. stand me in good stead. WVIR-DT is still way beyond strong today on my signal meter.

But "knife-edge diffraction" sounds intriguing and I'd never heard of this before. Perhaps that's why I can rock-solid get the DC digital stations about 125 miles away; and out of curiosity I must go back to the search engine to read more about it. I wonder how common it is and how reliable it is in not varying.
post #67 of 3816 Old 07-22-2004, 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Trip in VA
My question now is this: Do you think WHTJ's digital will make it down to me here in Charlotte County? It looks like I will be getting a good deal more power from the digital than the analog.

Right now I can get WVIR-TV and WVIR-DT all the time with the antenna pointed at Charlottesville, but WHTJ-TV has NEVER been received, even during the strongest tropo. Right now, WCVE is brought to us by W60BM in Rustburg, but their engineer tells me that when W60BM's transmitter goes, they're just turning in the license. I want to know if I could then turn to WHTJ-DT (assuming they ever get full-power) for service. What's your opinion on this 29Guy? Others?

- Trip

Trip, when WHTJ goes full-power (presently 8.5 kW), it appears their directional antenna will be radiating about 100 kW in your direction. I would think that would be sufficient to reach an outside antenna with line-of-site toward Charlottesville.
post #68 of 3816 Old 07-22-2004, 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Bill Johnson
Quote from 29Guy:
"Those of you in the Valley are probably receiving (WVIR-DT) via knife-edge diffraction over the Blue Ridge Mountains."

My giant topographical map and ruler tell me that even with the Blue Ridge I have line-of-sight to WVIR-DT's transmitter. There's a gap near Afton Mtn. with the surrounding terrain only about 1200 ft. in elevation; and that and my house's elevation of about 1800 ft. stand me in good stead. WVIR-DT is still way beyond strong today on my signal meter.

But "knife-edge diffraction" sounds intriguing and I'd never heard of this before. Perhaps that's why I can rock-solid get the DC digital stations about 125 miles away; and out of curiosity I must go back to the search engine to read more about it. I wonder how common it is and how reliable it is in not varying.

Bill, your height of 1800 feet is higher than the radiation-center of WVIR-DT (1767' amsl). So, I expect your height rather than knife-edge diffraction is responsible for your excellent reception. Generally, knife-edge diffraction is more reliable over hard surfaces, so the leaf-effect can knock it out in the summertime.
post #69 of 3816 Old 07-22-2004, 06:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote from 29Guy:
"Bill, your height of 1800 feet is higher than the radiation-center of WVIR-DT (1767' amsl). So, I expect your height rather than knife-edge diffraction is responsible for your excellent reception. Generally, knife-edge diffraction is more reliable over hard surfaces, so the leaf-effect can knock it out in the summertime."

Thanks for the interesting information, 29. It's good to be pretty sure we aren't receiving your digital station's signal because of some quirk, especially with the Olympics in HD approaching - not to mention reception of digital signals from Fox and CBS in DC as well.
post #70 of 3816 Old 07-24-2004, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Those of you in the Valley are probably receiving via knife-edge diffraction over the Blue Ridge Mountains

Hmmm . . . My antenna's elevation is right at 1200. I guess that means I'm getting it via knife-edge diffraction? The signal seems strong enough. With the antenna pointed right, the lowest strength I've seen on this Zenith HDV-420 set-top box is at the "r" of "Normal." (Wish they had included a numeric scale, even with the possibilities of communicating false precision.)

Also: For the record, I went back and edited the first post of the thread to reflect that WVIR-DT is full power now.

willie
post #71 of 3816 Old 07-24-2004, 08:50 AM

I haven't been getting anything on WHSV-DT 3-1 (49) for the past few days. Anyone know what's up with them?

Doug
post #72 of 3816 Old 07-24-2004, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2166 Post(s)
Liked: 3317
As I recall from a post or talking to someone, Charlottesville will be getting an ABC and CBS affiliate this fall or in the very near futureanyone else here about this?

Now if we could just get FOX in Richmond to get up to speed I wouldn't have to spend $200 to receive the Redskin games.
post #73 of 3816 Old 07-24-2004, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote from Aliens:
"As I recall from a post or talking to someone, Charlottesville will be getting an ABC and CBS affiliate this fall or in the very near future...anyone else here about this?"

This was discussed back in June on this thread and it's all at No. 3 with WW6's June 6 posting. I'm afraid they'll be operating at about a half kW and probably not digital so we in the Valley may not be affected for a while.

On another issue, WHSV-DT has had problems since it went live last year and hopefully it's just down for repairs. I haven't heard from the Chief Engineer in some time so I guess he has his hands full. Perhaps going digital is indeed rocket science.
post #74 of 3816 Old 07-24-2004, 06:48 PM

digital 29 for me is unwatchable tonight. Anyone else having frequent video dropouts.
post #75 of 3816 Old 07-25-2004, 06:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

29.1 is solid as a rock for me all the times I've checked it. Perhaps it's tmcck's setup or hardware.
post #76 of 3816 Old 07-25-2004, 07:14 AM

Maybe I'm too close to the transmitter. I get all the Richmond stations with no problem. I about 3 miles from the tower. Right now i'm using a channel master 4228 but maybe that is too big. i'll try a small antenna.
post #77 of 3816 Old 07-25-2004, 02:50 PM

I fixed my NBC 29 reception. I have to use a small antenna for NBC 29 and PBS only and my big Channel Master for Richmond stations. NBC 29 is now at 98% and rock solid.
post #78 of 3816 Old 07-25-2004, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by tmcck
I fixed my NBC 29 reception. I have to use a small antenna for NBC 29 and PBS only and my big Channel Master for Richmond stations. NBC 29 is now at 98% and rock solid.

You could install an $8 attenuator from RS and lower your signal strength and that should solve your problem, and you wouldn't need the additional antenna.
post #79 of 3816 Old 07-25-2004, 06:17 PM

Quote:

You could install an $8 attenuator from RS and lower your signal strength and that should solve your problem, and you wouldn't need the additional antenna.

Would this cause my richmond signal strength to decrease?
post #80 of 3816 Old 07-25-2004, 07:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Would this cause my richmond signal strength to decrease?

Not a problem. It has a knob that controls the gain and it works great.

Unplug your OTA coax from your STB, and then plug that into one end of the attenuator. Then attach a coupler to the attenuators other end and screw the coupler into your STB. Done. It comes with directions and is very easy to use.
post #81 of 3816 Old 07-25-2004, 08:14 PM

Thanks Aliens. I'm going to give it a try. Sure would beat having 2 antennas.
post #82 of 3816 Old 07-26-2004, 04:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Aliens. I'm going to give it a try. Sure would beat having 2 antennas.

Please post and let us know how it works out for you. The nice thing about the consumer world today, you can return practically anything and get your money back.
post #83 of 3816 Old 07-27-2004, 02:49 PM

We've been told by Adelphia Cable that WVIR-DT has been added to the HDTV line-up on the digital tier in Augusta and Rockingham Counties. If anyone on this thread has an Adelphia HD box, we would appreciate comments on signal quality.

BTW, we're also told Adelphia will not be able to offer HD service east of the mountains until sometime next year due to bandwidth limitations (the Charlottesville system is only 550 mHz).

29Guy
post #84 of 3816 Old 07-27-2004, 03:56 PM

Thanks 29guy for the update on adelphia. I'm satisfied with Dish HD and OTA network reception. Who needs adelphia!
post #85 of 3816 Old 07-27-2004, 04:29 PM

Quote:

Thanks 29guy for the update on adelphia. I'm satisfied with Dish HD and OTA network reception. Who needs adelphia!

You have no choice because you are in Charlottesville, and as I said Adelphia won't be offering HDTV until next year (and 65% of the homes in the Charlottesville DMA are connected to Adelphia).

BTW, the Charlottesville analog stations will be on DISH either in August or September.

29Guy
post #86 of 3816 Old 07-28-2004, 08:40 AM

Quote:

You have no choice because you are in Charlottesville, and as I said Adelphia won't be offering HDTV until next year (and 65% of the homes in the Charlottesville DMA are connected to Adelphia).

BTW, the Charlottesville analog stations will be on DISH either in August or September.

29Guy

Hey, 29Guy, what do you know about Adelphia offering HDTV next year? When next year, do you know? Is that contingent on them getting bought?

Looking forward to watching the Olympics on your feed when I move back to the Hook!
post #87 of 3816 Old 07-28-2004, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

WVIR-DT on Adelphia Cable?
"We've been told by Adelphia Cable that WVIR-DT has been added to the HDTV line-up on the digital tier in Augusta and Rockingham Counties. If anyone on this thread has an Adelphia HD box, we would appreciate comments on signal quality.

"BTW, we're also told Adelphia will not be able to offer HD service east of the mountains until sometime next year due to bandwidth limitations (the Charlottesville system is only 550 MHz)."
29Guy Above Quote

Adelphia CSR told me a few minutes ago that WHSV, WUSA, SHO, HBO are on Adelphia's HD tier and that 5 more will be added on a higher tier for my zip code in Augusta Co including HDNet, HDNet movies, and ESPN-HD. She didn't mention WVIR, but of course we know CSR's are often uninformed.

The bandwidth issue is of concern. My CPU has a 500 mHz motherboard, so 550 for a cable system sounds anemic, especially when we HD fanatics are already gun shy about the lack of bandwidth and compressed HD PQ (caused by 12 or so Mb or whatever the ridiculously low quantity is). I'm also interested in anybody's experience with the Adelphia box in the Valley. I feel when it comes to HD, D* is taking me for granted after a year as a customer. But I would have to be pushed pretty hard to go back to Adelphia other than for high speed Internet (which I have & is great).
post #88 of 3816 Old 07-28-2004, 12:15 PM

Bill, the clock speed on your computer and the frequency of the cable networks are like comparing apples and oranges. Just so you know, it doesn't mean the same thing.
post #89 of 3816 Old 07-28-2004, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote from dzawitz:
"Bill, the clock speed on your computer and the frequency of the cable networks are like comparing apples and oranges. Just so you know, it doesn't mean the same thing."

This is good to know because seeing the awfully low power that some digital stations are transmitting at can make some of us non-engineering types kind of skeptical of the whole digital world (not even to mention the terrible PQ of some supposedly HD telecasts). Don't wanna name stations -- they know who they are -- but 1.1 kW ERP for goodness sakes is not much more power than my garage door spotlight. And I don't believe this is a case of apples and oranges because a watt is a watt I have to assume.
post #90 of 3816 Old 07-28-2004, 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by dzawitz
Hey, 29Guy, what do you know about Adelphia offering HDTV next year? When next year, do you know? Is that contingent on them getting bought?

Looking forward to watching the Olympics on your feed when I move back to the Hook!

We were told they expect to offer HD by summer 2005. I don't think that is contingent on their future ownership. While in bankruptcy they have upgraded Lake Monticello and the picture quality is outstanding!

I am also looking forward to the Olympics in HD. Crutchfield, CC, and BB will probably sell more HD sets in August than they have moved all year.

29Guy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page