Nashville, TN - OTA - Page 169 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 426Likes

post #5041 of 5156 Old 11-05-2019, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked: 651
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPC View Post
RF5 was originally WTVF’s only digital signal. It worked well outside Nashville, but noise made it very hard to get in the city. The FCC let them go to UHF and keep RF5 for fringe areas. It’s easy to receive with a low-VHF antenna if you have room for one.
I live inside Nashville and have a couple of different antennas I play around with, a 2-bay UHF (Eagle Aspen) and a 50-mile UHF/VHF (ChannelMaster STEALTHtenna 50). The latter one, as expected, gets slightly higher numbers on VHF stations. With RF5, it's really just a matter of positioning either antenna because, with that frequency's longer wavelength, moving either antenna a foot or two in any direction can make all the difference of whether or not I can pick up a useable signal.

For some reason, I've been having issues with channel 4 (RF10) for the past few weeks, when I never used to have problems with it at all. And I'm getting the problems with either antenna, and regardless of where I position them (in the house, in the attic, on the roof, beside the house). The channel is fine most of the time -- signal strength, signal-to-noise ratio, and symbol quality all in the 95% to 100% range -- but then I'll randomly get intermittent picture break-ups, usually minor but occasionally severe to the point of total black screen. Seems guaranteed to happen at least once a day on channel 4 for me. No idea why this is happening now...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5042 of 5156 Old 11-05-2019, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashGuy View Post
I live inside Nashville and have a couple of different antennas I play around with, a 2-bay UHF (Eagle Aspen) and a 50-mile UHF/VHF (ChannelMaster STEALTHtenna 50). The latter one, as expected, gets slightly higher numbers on VHF stations. With RF5, it's really just a matter of positioning either antenna because, with that frequency's longer wavelength, moving either antenna a foot or two in any direction can make all the difference of whether or not I can pick up a useable signal.

For some reason, I've been having issues with channel 4 (RF10) for the past few weeks, when I never used to have problems with it at all. And I'm getting the problems with either antenna, and regardless of where I position them (in the house, in the attic, on the roof, beside the house). The channel is fine most of the time -- signal strength, signal-to-noise ratio, and symbol quality all in the 95% to 100% range -- but then I'll randomly get intermittent picture break-ups, usually minor but occasionally severe to the point of total black screen. Seems guaranteed to happen at least once a day on channel 4 for me. No idea why this is happening now...
Glad you brought that up. I have been getting a few break ups and weak signal warnings with 4. It was always one of my most reliable. Don't know what's going on.
post #5043 of 5156 Old 11-05-2019, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashGuy View Post

I am glad both of you and kbuke brought it up. I have also experienced the same thing. I didn't know if it was my setup or something around my antenna giving off interference, but now with both of you saying the same thing, it must be something going on at the station. I am going to check in and ask what is going on. If I hear something, I will let you know.
NashGuy and kbuke like this.

NashDigie signing off.

Nashville Digital TV News & More

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5044 of 5156 Old 11-05-2019, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I live on a ridge just inside Nashville, near the Wilson County line. You can even see downtown from some hills nearby. Of course, I get a good signal. However, where I work is in a hollow, with a big hill blocking WSMV. I tried an amplified indoor antenna there, and it still can’t get RF10 unless I put it on the other side of the building! Everything else works fine.
post #5045 of 5156 Old 11-05-2019, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Is it just me or is this a bad day for reception? For some reason having trouble with 5&17 today. More than usual
post #5046 of 5156 Old 11-05-2019, 05:16 PM

My channels are back. I have a big decision to make. Tomorrow an identical antenna is arriving from channel master, my idea was to point it at Huntsville but after I placed the order I spun my current antenna at Huntsville and got nothing new only the same channels I get off the backside of my nashville antenna. I then pointed it at jackson and picked up 12 more channels however i have most of those networks from Nashville. Today I finished the antenna mast as far as aiming to the perfect degree and torquing down the new mast extension. I left the ladder up in case I change my mind but most likely im shipping the new antenna back to channel master. I dont think the extra antenna will make that big a difference and Im kinda happy with what I have. Channel master has a 15 day return policy and I doubt 44 will be powered up by then. Here is my antenna after the work. Most likely in the morning the ladder is coming down and sending the new one back as soon as it arrives.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191105_162050_1572999442249.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	4.30 MB
ID:	2636948  
post #5047 of 5156 Old 11-07-2019, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
STA Granted for WDNZ-LD Bowling Green, KY

A recent low-power sign-on in Southern Kentucky, WDNZ-LD Ch11 (W11DJ-D), has an interesting filing with the FCC requesting special temporary authority to broadcast a signal on Channel 31. The application has been granted. It's interesting to read the extraordinary circumstances for the request.

We are requesting Special Temporary Authority (STA) to operate channel 31 in Bowling Green, Kentucky for two very important reasons. News Publishing LLC, owns and operates W11DJ-D Glasgow, Kentucky, out of the Daily News / WDNS-FM / WKCT-AM facility in Bowling Green, Kentucky. Their goal is to bring a new kind of news programming to the local area similar to a video newspaper. This format allows for a faster approach to bring breaking stories to folks at home and may be replicated at other newspapers across the US. Reasons for the STA are listed below.

REASON 1. There has been several technical issues in getting the feed from the studio to the transmitter site using 5.8 GHz unlicensed IP link. When it rains, the signal tends to jitter and break up. The fix for this is to use a lower frequency licensed UHF band STL, and application has been made (File number 0008792416). But these applications tend to take time and a quick fix is needed.

REASON 2. There are also some reception issues that were not foreseen using computer software as to reception in the Downtown Bowling Green area. There is a large population here and this affects their ability to properly launch this new and exciting programming idea.

THEREFORE we are requesting Special Temporary Authority to operate channel 31 from the Daily News / WDNS-FM / WKCT-AM facility. The channel 31 can be used to relay the signal out to the transmitter while waiting for the permanent Studio To Transmitter link to be granted. It will also allow the signal to be received in the Bowling Green downtown area till the reception problem is resolved. A study has been done and this STA will not cause issues with other station in the area and meets FCC interference criteria.

Public Interest will be furthered due to the elimination of loss of signal to the W11DJ-D transmitter and viewers in the downtown area will be able to get the signal better, promoting off-air viewing to the area.

Expected Duration should not be long as once the Studio To Transmitter link is granted, the equipment for that will be ordered, eliminating the need for the STA.

Last edited by n2radio; 11-07-2019 at 11:43 AM.
post #5048 of 5156 Old 11-07-2019, 12:56 PM

Just a quick note. Dabl is now on WNAB 58.4

NashDigie signing off.

post #5049 of 5156 Old 11-07-2019, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashDigie View Post
Just a quick note. Dabl is now on WNAB 58.4
Had the sign for a week on mine, but no programming yet.
post #5050 of 5156 Old 11-08-2019, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tropo skip is good today. I’m getting multiple Huntsville stations on FM. I’m not at home, so I can’t check the TV.
post #5051 of 5156 Old 11-08-2019, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joev1983 View Post
I just got a signal from channel 12 WYES New Orleans lol crazy night. No eva gabor
Nice! You’re in a great location. I grew up in a rural area between 3 or 4 markets and would get random stations all the time.
post #5052 of 5156 Old 11-08-2019, 05:19 PM

Checked dabl they are airing an episode of Emril (cooking show) im guessing from late 80's early 90's. Full head of thick jet black hair. Lol im gonna check their schedule
post #5053 of 5156 Old 11-09-2019, 04:27 PM

Really really bad day for channel 5. And 17. Have not seen either all day not even for a second. I tried several times as I wanted to see Alabama & LSU. Usually around dark I pick up everything currently on low power but so far not today. Working maybe? Every evening I get the low power 40.1- 40.5 metv. I can get that now but not 5 si thinking they have the transmitter off? Ahhh as im finishing this post 5 shows some pixelated life. alabamas down 13 pts lol.
post #5054 of 5156 Old 11-10-2019, 12:43 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yep, I'm still not receiving 17, and 5 continues to be unwatchable. Did you see the video they posted here?: https://www.newschannel5.com/news/an...s-over-antenna
post #5055 of 5156 Old 11-10-2019, 01:18 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I am still unable to receive WCTZ-LD channel 35. I used to get this channel even before the re-pack. I heard something about a wrong antenna being installed and they are waiting on a new one to arrive.
post #5056 of 5156 Old 11-10-2019, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I’m getting it on the eastern edge of Davidson County, but just barely.
post #5057 of 5156 Old 11-11-2019, 02:03 PM

I see that Fox 17 also posted something last week: https://fox17.com/news/local/why-you...tation-signals

Quote:
Due to FCC mandate we have had a channel change for our FOX 17 and CW58 stations. There is no change for MYTV 30.

If you are experiencing difficulties receiving our stations over the air we do apologize for the inconvenience.

We recommend that you rescan your television or digital box to unlock our signal. In some instances, you may have to manually input our physical channels into your tv. If so, FOX 17 is channel 20 and CW58 is channel 30.

Sometimes re-positioning the antenna slightly and rescanning may help as well. An outdoor antenna is always the preferred antenna type if applicable.

Because of limited availability of high power transmitters and their installation crews, our stations are currently on a waiting list for installations.

Due to this delay, we have installed an interim transmitter and antenna for both FOX 17 and CW58. Unfortunately we do not have an estimated time of arrival for our permanent equipment.

We thank you for being a loyal viewer and apologize for the inconvenience this is causing for our viewers.
post #5058 of 5156 Old 11-11-2019, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdrick103 View Post
I am still unable to receive WCTZ-LD channel 35. I used to get this channel even before the re-pack. I heard something about a wrong antenna being installed and they are waiting on a new one to arrive.
I get WCTZ-LD channel 35 here in Gallatin now. I could not get it before the re-pack no matter how I tried. I don't know what the change was, but there must have been something happen in the re-pack.
post #5059 of 5156 Old 11-11-2019, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lug1 View Post
I get WCTZ-LD channel 35 here in Gallatin now. I could not get it before the re-pack no matter how I tried. I don't know what the change was, but there must have been something happen in the re-pack.
Well, I don't know what the change was with you, but the station itself did nothing for the repack. It has stayed the same since it came on the air.

NashDigie signing off.

post #5060 of 5156 Old 11-12-2019, 03:53 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
So I'm currently pulling in a good amount of channels.
Here's a list: 2, 4, 5, 6, 8, 17, 28, 30, 34, 35, 39, 40, 42, 44, 50 and 58

I live in La Vergne, about a mile to the Davidson county line between Murfreesboro Rd and I-24. Since TVFool is out of date I figured I wouldn't post that info.
I have an antenna on the front edge of my roof pointed towards Nashville, about 15-20 feet off the ground. Decently clear view of the sky.

Antenna I have:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Amplifier I have:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

All this connected to a 6-way splitter going to 6 TV's. Based on what everything said, should I get a different amplifier? Or is more information needed? I'm pretty much stuck with the antenna and the location on my roof. I can give exact coordinates of my home if needed. I'm really just digging to see if I can do any better with not much change.
Thanks for any help.
post #5061 of 5156 Old 11-12-2019, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Much of Bellevue (including yours truly) is in the shadow of Nine Mile Hill and it is mostly impossible to receive any of the stations on the towers north of town.

When news breaks...we fix it.
post #5062 of 5156 Old 11-12-2019, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked: 651
Quote:
Originally Posted by r32raines View Post

I'm really just digging to see if I can do any better with not much change.
Thanks for any help.
Assuming you pull in all the channels you listed well (without signal dropouts or audio/video break-ups), you really can't do any better. You're getting all the major high-power stations and you're even getting low-power stations like 6, 35, 40 and 42. That's better than I'm getting with an outdoor antenna (but without an amplifier) *inside* Nashville (north of Brentwood).

The only Nashville station I see missing from your list is 31, which is a little low-power station that doesn't carry any major networks. You can see here: https://www.rabbitears.info/market.p...&callsign=wjde
post #5063 of 5156 Old 11-12-2019, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by r32raines View Post

I live in La Vergne, about a mile to the Davidson county line between Murfreesboro Rd and I-24. Since TVFool is out of date I figured I wouldn't post that info.
I have an antenna on the front edge of my roof pointed towards Nashville, about 15-20 feet off the ground.

I can give exact coordinates of my home if needed. I'm really just digging to see if I can do any better with not much change.
Thanks for any help.
It looks like you have everything! You’re in a good location, and your setup sounds good. I live near the Wilson/Davidson County line, and get all the same channels. I even have the same amplifier. The only one missing is 31, and I get no signal from it since the repack. I think it might have gone off the air.
post #5064 of 5156 Old 11-12-2019, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
A few details of signal levels...

Info from around 5pm today.
Highest signal levels come from 2, 5, 30 at around 31db
42 wasn't coming in at this time.
6 at 15db, 35 at 16db and 44 at 19db
Everything else solidly in the 20db+ range.
post #5065 of 5156 Old 11-13-2019, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I think RF5 is back up to full power. Its signal is close to where it was before the repack. 17 and 5.1 (RF36) are too. I think the only ones still on reduced power are 28, 35, 39 and 44.
post #5066 of 5156 Old 11-13-2019, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
It looks like you have everything! You’re in a good location, and your setup sounds good. I live near the Wilson/Davidson County line, and get all the same channels. I even have the same amplifier. The only one missing is 31, and I get no signal from it since the repack. I think it might have gone off the air.
Channel 31 is still on the air, at least it was last night and this morning.
post #5067 of 5156 Old 11-14-2019, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Here in Sylvan Park (near McCabe park) I've been having trouble with 5.1, but their website details antenna work. I popped back up just now.

However, Ion TV (virtual 28.1--RF 32) has been MIA for nearly a week. Even when I swing my outdoor antenna (which is unfortunately mounted on a rotor, but indoors) their direction, I see zero indication of any signal on that frequency. It used to be one of my better channels, but Rabbit Ears tells me it's marginal.
post #5068 of 5156 Old 11-14-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
I think RF5 is back up to full power. Its signal is close to where it was before the repack. 17 and 5.1 (RF36) are too. I think the only ones still on reduced power are 28, 35, 39 and 44.
Hopefully, this *isn't* actually full power 5, or 17, as I'm still not getting them any better today. They used to come in here strong and clear.
post #5069 of 5156 Old 11-14-2019, 01:03 PM

All day long 5 is acting up and at night i receive it perfect along with 17 and 40 metv. No matter what at night it comes in. Thinking this has to do with the radio wave thing we talked about they travel further at night.
post #5070 of 5156 Old 11-14-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmortal03 View Post
Hopefully, this *isn't* actually full power 5, or 17, as I'm still not getting them any better today. They used to come in here strong and clear.
Yeah, 17, 39, 44, and 58 are all still operating at low power and at a lower height. 5 has been operating at full power ever since they changed frequencies on Oct. 18th but from an antenna that is lower on the tower while they replace the antenna at the top which is being done now. Once they get that done, then they can start broadcasting from the top of the tower and they will be finished. BTW, 28 is done. They will not be doing anything else.

NashDigie signing off.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page