Nashville, TN - OTA - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 426Likes

post #121 of 5162 Old 09-22-2004, 06:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got my MyHD card for my computer and Fox says it is broadcasting "Quintuplets" in HD, but it is clearly not Widescreen. Anybody else having this issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 5162 Old 09-22-2004, 09:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Okay, so I just posted this in the Nashville Comcast thread, but that thread's activity is a lot lower than it is here, so i'm cross posting my info here, if you guys know more about why Comcast doesnt xmit foxHD please let me know...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
okay, I just talked to Comcast again, and spoke with this really nice lady, who was just surprized that WZTV went HD, because they havent heard about it. Although she couldnt give me any idea when they would turn it on, she did give me some info.

She said call the Comcast Marketing department at 244-7462, and dial extention 0, and ask the operator to speak with Will Jefferson. He is someone who should know or would be able to do something about getting it cut on here, for the Nashville market. I guess if we all called and created a genuine interest perhaps Comcast will expediete its addition.

Thanks folks,
post #123 of 5162 Old 09-23-2004, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by RaggedEdge
Can ya'll please share what kind of antenna you are using to pick up WSMV? I've used a bunch and am still having some problems.

I used this RadioShack indoor UHF antenna 15-234 for $3.49. After checking to see which end of each wire loop was connected to the feed I cut each side and bent it straight. Made a near perfect 1/2 wave dipole for "channel 4" HD.

I live in Hermitage, and while this is a very cheap antenna may not be enough for you. You can get a single channel Yagi antenna

here for $40 with 7.5db gain or $48 for 10db gain.

Dennis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 5162 Old 09-23-2004, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I'm in Bowling Green and pick up Nashville's FOX-17 digital feed with a Channelmaster yagi antenna hanging in my attic. I had alot of trouble getting it during the daytime before they went ful power but it's rock solid now.
post #125 of 5162 Old 09-23-2004, 09:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Quote:

Originally posted by Ou8thisSN
Okay, so I just posted this in the Nashville Comcast thread, but that thread's activity is a lot lower than it is here, so i'm cross posting my info here, if you guys know more about why Comcast doesnt xmit foxHD please let me know...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
okay, I just talked to Comcast again, and spoke with this really nice lady, who was just surprized that WZTV went HD, because they havent heard about it. Although she couldnt give me any idea when they would turn it on, she did give me some info.

She said call the Comcast Marketing department at 244-7462, and dial extention 0, and ask the operator to speak with Will Jefferson. He is someone who should know or would be able to do something about getting it cut on here, for the Nashville market. I guess if we all called and created a genuine interest perhaps Comcast will expediete its addition.

Thanks folks,

This has been discussed at length in the Nashville Comcast thread. To sum up, Fox17 is owned by Sinclair Broadcasting, which is refusing to sign broadcasting deals with any cable company until their demands are met...which of course is cold hard cash. No other media company is proving to be such complete a**es about HDTV than Sinclair. First the battle over the type of broadcast standard that was going to be used, and now this. The FCC is still dragging its feet in ordering Sinclair to get with the program and allow their HD signals to be carried on cable through existing "must-carry" legislation. Sinclair's view is that they have spent $150 million nationwide to upgrade to HDTV, and somebody else should pay for it....might as well be the cable operators.

The "myfreehdtv.org" web site they promote is supposed to be one of those "grassroots" types of marketing campaigns by your "poor local broadcaster". Give me a break! Most people who can watch HD don't have ATSC tuners in their sets. But in my case, I have severe reception problems even in the city limits due to my home's proximity to surrounding hills. A small Silver Sensor or bowtie antenna ain't gonna cut it.

If this stupid gamemanship between Comcast and Sinclair keeps up, I might have to actually try to solve my antenna reception problem on my house once and for all. Either that or just not watch Fox out of principal. Guess which way I'm leaning?
post #126 of 5162 Old 09-24-2004, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

I haven't seen much chatter about the subject but I'm wondering what the odds are that the local WB and UPN channels will be able to transmit HD in the near future.

Now that Fox17 has NFL in HD (and VERY little else at this time) I'm wondering if other channels will have to follow suit.
post #127 of 5162 Old 09-24-2004, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I doubt it. I think the reason that Fox 17 did is because Fox nationally provided all the equipment to pass HD with their newfangled splicer system. With the traditional HD setups, the local affiliate has to buy a fair amount of equipment, and I just don't see Sinclair (who owns all 3 stations) doing HD unless it's basically free to them. They run a tight ship.
post #128 of 5162 Old 09-24-2004, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I would imagine that Fox will show a lot of the baseball playoffs in HD.

It would be nice if WB and UPN were shown in HD too, but I realize that could take a while.

Now that I finally have an HD receiver (Dish 811), I find myself watching more network television than ever before. I actually don't have an HD TV, but I like the widescreen view of sports and the TV shows, and I enjoy the digital sound (especially when it is in 5.1 mode).

The OTA broadcast is just so much sharper than my Dish locals for most of the shows. I will have an HDTV someday in the next few years, but this is a good start.
post #129 of 5162 Old 09-24-2004, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
snowcat,

Wal-mart sells a great 30" HD sanyo for $697. Don't wait, you'll be happy.

Alex
post #130 of 5162 Old 09-25-2004, 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by adam8833
Since you work for WSMV, I have a question for you. I was wondering something when WSMV airs HD shows with Dolby Digital 5.1, such as LAX or Las Vegas. Why is it that the dialog of the shows seem to come out of all three of the front speakers and slighty in the rear. It seems that the DD5.1 mix isn't right or something. I noticed this also when the olympics were on. This was not the case when I switched to the Directv NBC-HD feed during the olympics. The dialog came out of the center channel and the other sound effects such as music came out of the left and right channels. The sound is fine when WSMV switches back to Dolby Digital 2.0. It's only on the 5.1 when the dialog of programs doesn't seem to be in the correct channels. I wasn't sure if you could do anything about this or not. [/b]

I promise to keep an eye on this as possible... but so far, not much has been "possible"... I only have 2.0 capability at home and the normal monitoring gear at the station only supports 2.0 as well.

There is no difference in the connections/equipment between what was aired during the Olympics and what's on now.

Anyway, we'll take a look at this & see what happens...

Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66
http://www.w9wi.com
post #131 of 5162 Old 09-25-2004, 08:59 PM

In Sinclair's defense (and remember, I work for one of their competitors... but the below is strictly my personal opinion)

A significant portion of the audience that's subscribing to Comcast Digital Cable is doing so to receive HD locals WKRN/WSMV/WTVF/WZTV.

WKRN/WSMV/WTVF/WZTV have spent enormous quantities to get a HD signal on the air.

Comcast is reaping financial benefits from this effort, as thousands of subscribers pay extra for digital cable and HD boxes.

And the four OTA stations see none of this extra revenue.

I don't think it's at all unreasonable for Sinclair to expect a fair share of Comcast's HD revenue - after all, if none of the local OTA stations were HD, Comcast would be doing a lot less HD business.

Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66
post #132 of 5162 Old 09-25-2004, 09:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by w9wi
I promise to keep an eye on this as possible... but so far, not much has been "possible"... I only have 2.0 capability at home and the normal monitoring gear at the station only supports 2.0 as well.

There is no difference in the connections/equipment between what was aired during the Olympics and what's on now.

Anyway, we'll take a look at this & see what happens...

I used to hear dialog come our of the rear surround speakers often during the Olympics. I just chalked it up to a bad mix coming in from Greece, not a local station problem, but I guess anything is possible.
post #133 of 5162 Old 09-25-2004, 10:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by w9wi
In Sinclair's defense (and remember, I work for one of their competitors... but the below is strictly my personal opinion)

Please keep in mine that my reply always includes the phrase "With all due respect (WADR)" first.

Quote:

A significant portion of the audience that's subscribing to Comcast Digital Cable is doing so to receive HD locals WKRN/WSMV/WTVF/WZTV.

I'm one of those people, but WADR, you're kidding, right? The number of HD sets out there in Nashville has to still be a very small minority of the digital cable tier customers out there. And digital cable in people's homes longer in most cases than HD televisions. Finally, it is a myth that you need Comcast's digital cable tier to receive HD. I'm on their "Limited Basic" service which gets you all the HD locals and INHD 1 & 2 thrown in. Since I primarily use DirecTV, I didn't need to duplicate that service in its entirety. Without HD locals, I wouldn't be using Comcast at all.

Quote:

WKRN/WSMV/WTVF/WZTV have spent enormous quantities to get a HD signal on the air.

True, but Comcast was not the cause of all this...a federal government mandate was. Comcast also has had to spend large sums to upgrade their network for HD.
Quote:

Comcast is reaping financial benefits from this effort, as thousands of subscribers pay extra for digital cable and HD boxes.

Perhaps, but so are the local stations. I've been watching a lot more of WKRN, WSMV and WTVF in recent months because of their HD content. Which means I've been watching more of their advertisers too. And again, you don't need digital cable to get Comcast HD locals. The HD box fee is $5 a month, which is reasonable considering alternatives. Given the increased cost of the boxes, I doubt seriously they are making much money off of them.
Quote:

And the four OTA stations see none of this extra revenue.

Again, more people watching your station means more ad revenue, especially as the number of HDTV owners increase.

Quote:

I don't think it's at all unreasonable for Sinclair to expect a fair share of Comcast's HD revenue - after all, if none of the local OTA stations were HD, Comcast would be doing a lot less HD business.

Sinclair got the rights to the HDTV broadcast spectrum for nothing. All this hubbub is caught up in the old "must carry" statute that Congress passed ages ago that said that local cablecos had to carry every local affiliate, no matter how big or small. The local stations benefited since they were guarenteed that a large audience would see their signals unfetered by the limitations of OTA technology (antennas). In those days, the CableCos wanted to charge the local stations for access to them, largely to pay for their massive construction costs in a given area. That didn't happen, but the local cable stations were allowed to insert some advertising to pay for their costs to present the locals on their network.

So now the shoe is on the other foot and some local stations want to charge the CableCos. But Comcast is now interpreting the "must carry" rule as including HD signals. At $11 a month, I doubt they are making much money on me, but at least they are being consistent about their policy on "limited basic". I benefit, but the local stations that are providing their signal to Comcast also benefit by my patronage. Putting an antenna on my house is a major PITA, especially where I live since OTA reception is terrible due to terrain. Sinclair's campaign of "Free HDTV" ignores the fact that most HD sets in people's homes are monitors only...which means they would have to spend extra on an ATSC tuner, the right antenna, someone to install it, etc, etc. Without FoxHD on Comcast, I'm not watching Fox at all. Is that what they really want?
post #134 of 5162 Old 09-27-2004, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

Originally posted by RaggedEdge
snowcat,

Wal-mart sells a great 30" HD sanyo for $697. Don't wait, you'll be happy.

I wish I could, but right now a new TV is pretty low on my financial plan list. I have a 50" analog RP-CRT that will eventually be replaced with a large screen DLP or LCD screen in two to three years. The Dish 811 with OTA signals is making my TV look better than ever (at least for locals).
post #135 of 5162 Old 09-27-2004, 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Sevenfeet
I used to hear dialog come our of the rear surround speakers often during the Olympics. I just chalked it up to a bad mix coming in from Greece, not a local station problem, but I guess anything is possible.

Anything is possible, true!

We have no way of changing the mix here. We're fed four channel pairs - 2.0 stereo, front L-R, rear L-R, and center/LFE. The latter three are passed directly (through three pair of wires - there is no active circuitry) to the Dolby 5.1 encoder.

(the 2.0 is available as a bypass during 2.0 programming or if the 5.1 encoder should die; it's also what's used by affiliates that don't have a 5.1 encoder)

Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66
post #136 of 5162 Old 09-27-2004, 06:22 PM

I just had a chance to double-check during Fear Factor. Our 5.1 is as I would expect - dialog pretty much only in the center channel (with a bit in the L-R front and pretty much none in the rear channels). The subwoofer is broken so I can't guarantee there's no dialog there.

The only technical failure I can think of offhand would result in audio intended for 2.0 stereo to be transmitted as the L/R front surround channels in 5.1 mode - that doesn't sound like what's happening here. Kinda sounds like a network issue in NYC.

Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66
post #137 of 5162 Old 09-30-2004, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 121
FWIW, I just talked with an engineer at WZTV who confirmed they are at full power which means I am now officially SOL for CBS and the Sinclair stations.

I'm in Bellevue behind almost every hill in Davidson county. According to my signal strength meter I get a sniff of a signal on WTVF and WZTV occasionally, but nowhere near enough for a lock.

I suppose my only alternative now is Comcrap.

When news breaks...we fix it.
post #138 of 5162 Old 09-30-2004, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

I don't have Comcast but a friend who does told me last weekend that WZTV's HD signal isn't available on Comcast. OTA might be your only option right now.
post #139 of 5162 Old 09-30-2004, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon J
I suppose my only alternative now is Comcrap.

As durl says, Fox17 is HD is NOT available on Comcast right now and reading what folks say (Sinclair, that owns the station wants Comcast to pay them to carry it - Comcast says no) it may be a while before you can pick it up there.

Dennis
post #140 of 5162 Old 09-30-2004, 01:39 PM

Jon J,

Maybe you should consider getting another antenna to try and pick up the stations. I know someone in Bellevue that had troubles picking up WTVF and WZTV and then I suggested them using a Channel Master 4228 antenna. It's an excellent antenna and I use one myself. I live in Kingston Springs and I can pick up all the digital stations with very high signal readings. You can buy one from Randolph & Rice. I used a tri-pod from Radio Shack that is made for antenna's and attached my Channel Master antenna on to it and it works great.

Zenith SAT-520 shown on a Pioneer Elite PRO-620HD connected by Better Cables Silver Serpant VGA
Pioneer Elite DV-45A DVD Player
Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX A/V Receiver
post #141 of 5162 Old 09-30-2004, 04:30 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

...I live in Kingston Springs and I can pick up all the digital stations with very high signal readings.

I live about the same distance, two miles S of Franklin. I also pick up all digital stations fine with a Channel Master 4221 (1/2 the size of the 4228) mounted inside my attic. I also pick up WSMV-DT (VHF channel 10) just fine on the same UHF antenna. I use a Channel Master Spartan mast-mounted preamp.
post #142 of 5162 Old 09-30-2004, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Jon J,

Maybe you should consider getting another antenna to try and pick up the stations. I know someone in Bellevue that had troubles picking up WTVF and WZTV and then I suggested them using a Channel Master 4228 antenna. It's an excellent antenna and I use one myself. I live in Kingston Springs and I can pick up all the digital stations with very high signal readings. You can buy one from Randolph & Rice. I used a tri-pod from Radio Shack that is made for antenna's and attached my Channel Master antenna on to it and it works great.

I'm that guy in Bellevue. I still need to pick up the 4228, but it seems according to everyone that it's my best chance to do any OTA reception.
post #143 of 5162 Old 10-02-2004, 08:08 AM

Liked: 13
The 4228 is a fine antenna, but an alternative is the DB8 from www.antennasdirect.com. Like the 4228 it's an 8-bay bow tie.

For those with deep fringe needs, Antennasdirect also has several high-gain specialty models. Channel Master unfortunately no longer makes the gigantic 4251 7-ft parabolic UHF dish antenna. Antennas direct does make some long UHF yagis with about the same gain as the CM 4251.

The Channel Master model 7777 preamp has the lowest noise figure (2.0 db) of any I've seen. Low noise is the most critical aspect of a preamp.
post #144 of 5162 Old 10-02-2004, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

I actually have a CM 4228 that I've never tried thinking if the yagi didn't get it nothing would.

Up the pole soon!

Thanks.

post #145 of 5162 Old 10-02-2004, 04:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I actually have a CM 4228 that I've never tried thinking if the yagi didn't get it nothing would.

Up the pole soon!

Thanks.

Let me know how it works!
post #146 of 5162 Old 10-03-2004, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Sevenfeet
Let me know how it works!

Not a whole lot better than the yagi at the same height and I'm hesitant to push it up another few feet without guying it.

Interestingly, Channel 58's digital signal (on 23, I think) will boom in for about 30 seconds then drop to nothing again. No matter what I do, 5-1 and 5-2 are minimum signal.

I'm convinced my property is an abosulte null for any signals from north of town...dammit.

post #147 of 5162 Old 10-03-2004, 11:15 AM

Where is the hdtv picture does anyone have a phone number for fox 17

Impressive! most impressive! But you are not a JEDI yet!!!
post #148 of 5162 Old 10-03-2004, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
None of the football games nor the race areHD/widesreen for me. Anyone getting HD out there?

Jerry

Jerry
post #149 of 5162 Old 10-03-2004, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Not a whole lot better than the yagi at the same height and I'm hesitant to push it up another few feet without guying it.

Interestingly, Channel 58's digital signal (on 23, I think) will boom in for about 30 seconds then drop to nothing again. No matter what I do, 5-1 and 5-2 are minimum signal.

I'm convinced my property is an abosulte null for any signals from north of town...dammit.

That's what I'm afraid of. It looks like a good chunk of Bellevue won't receive many of HD OTA signals due to terrain. Which means we can do Comcast, except for FOX (thanks Sinclair for that "free HDTV" tip....NOT!!!). Maybe by this time next year we'll have all our HD locals on DirecTV, but for right now, it looks like we're just hosed.
post #150 of 5162 Old 10-03-2004, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Just called WSMV and they threw the switch pretty quick.

Jerry

Jerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page