Rochester, NY - HDTV - Page 89 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 28Likes

post #2641 of 2925 Old 03-29-2016, 04:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibez View Post
Anyone else notice a slight bump in speed this morning? The internet was out for about an hour or so around 3am-ish. When i called it said it was because of maintenance.

Anyways I have extreme and seems i have a increase.

It could just be that the syracuse severs are better. But the upload seems to be the same.(both faster than, before tonight)

Update - I just scrolled up this forum page, and saw i am just now getting the bump everyone else got in july.
Plus, I think you are correct; my fastest speeds usually show up on the TWC
Syracuse server
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2642 of 2925 Old 04-20-2016, 04:13 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Anyone know or heard of TWC's switchover to all encrypted digital, the elimination of analog and the possibility of dumping SDV (Switched Digital Video) in this market?

Recording free OTA TV for 'time shifting' has been here since 1975. Will there be DVR's to do the same when ATSC3 obsoletes existing DVR's??
post #2643 of 2925 Old 04-20-2016, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
Anyone know or heard of TWC's switchover to all encrypted digital, the elimination of analog and the possibility of dumping SDV (Switched Digital Video) in this market?
It should be by year's end. They started downstate and have been marching north and west for awhile now.

http://www.syracuse.com/business-new...by_june_1.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2644 of 2925 Old 04-20-2016, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 30
About a month ago i read in my local newspaper that time warner was gonna go all digital in our area sometime this year. So far i haven't heard anything official from time warner. I remember hearing time warner say the same thing a couple of years ago & the only analog channels they got rid of is Lifetime Movie Network, CMT, EWTN, C SPAN & golf channel. My main tv already has a cable box but the bedroom tv doesn't have a box. I'll get one of their Digital Adapters for the bedroom after time warner officially announces there getting rid of analog service in our area.
post #2645 of 2925 Old 04-20-2016, 08:12 AM

The remaining question is, are they going to get rid of SDV????

Recording free OTA TV for 'time shifting' has been here since 1975. Will there be DVR's to do the same when ATSC3 obsoletes existing DVR's??
post #2646 of 2925 Old 04-20-2016, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

I've never heard anything about getting rid of SDV. We'll have to wait & see what time warner does later this year.
post #2647 of 2925 Old 04-20-2016, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 681 Post(s)
Liked: 254
I don't see how they could get rid of sdv without cutting channels and god forbid I don't have 100 movie and music channels, not to mention non english programming.
post #2648 of 2925 Old 04-20-2016, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Time Warner can probably take some channels off of SDV after they get rid of analog service but they'll still need SDV for most of the channels that use it now. Plus it says in the article that larrude posted in post #2643 some of the space currently used by analog channels will be used to increase internet speeds.
post #2649 of 2925 Old 05-10-2016, 11:25 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrude View Post
It should be by year's end. They started downstate and have been marching north and west for awhile now.

http://www.syracuse.com/business-new...by_june_1.html
Looking forward to this Larry. Yes, I have returned from the dead. I walked away from AVS 3 years ago when I received an infraction from the moderators because I questioned whether someone who represented themselves as an impartial poster was actually an employee of the company they were posting about. Turns out they were and they suddenly vanished from the forum. Just could not get the bad taste out my mouth over that one. I have however been lurking since then, just was not logging in or contributing.
post #2650 of 2925 Old 05-10-2016, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokilarry View Post
Looking forward to this Larry. Yes, I have returned from the dead. I walked away from AVS 3 years ago when I received an infraction from the moderators because I questioned whether someone who represented themselves as an impartial poster was actually an employee of the company they were posting about. Turns out they were and they suddenly vanished from the forum. Just could not get the bad taste out my mouth over that one. I have however been lurking since then, just was not logging in or contributing.
Larry, So glad to see you around again. Hope all is well with you!
post #2651 of 2925 Old 05-11-2016, 04:16 AM

Quote:
I don't see how they could get rid of sdv without cutting channels
Very easy, with the removal of sixty analog channels (at least here in this market) !

RF channels 65-117, except 65 & 70 and 12-14, 17, 21 & 24 are digital here. I believe 108-115 are Internet. Freeing up 60 analog channels basically doubles their capacity.

post #2652 of 2925 Old 05-11-2016, 04:17 AM

Quote:
AVS 3 years ago when I received an infraction from the moderators because I questioned whether someone who represented themselves as an impartial poster was actually an employee of the company they were posting about.
Of course, you received an apology when they found out they were wrong didn't you?

post #2653 of 2925 Old 05-11-2016, 09:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
Very easy, with the removal of sixty analog channels (at least here in this market) !

RF channels 65-117, except 65 & 70 and 12-14, 17, 21 & 24 are digital here. I believe 108-115 are Internet. Freeing up 60 analog channels basically doubles their capacity.
Even if time warner could stop using sdv they probably won't because they can save the unused space for future internet speed increases & other new services. Also they are broadcasting SD & HD versions of every channel so they would have to make sure they have enough space for both versions before getting rid of SDV, which again they probably won't do.
post #2654 of 2925 Old 05-12-2016, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Also they are broadcasting SD & HD versions of every channel
I thought about that I forgot to add after I posted.

There is little reason to have those either. Not anymore. The number of CRT's are a very small percentage and getting smaller every month as those finally get tossed for low cost LCD sets (notice I didn't use the false term "LED").

Having three of the same service is just stupid (other than a waste of bandwidth), especially now.

post #2655 of 2925 Old 05-12-2016, 03:24 AM

Oh, there is always the ability to expand their plant to 1GHz from the existing 750 MHz they have now (assuming that is what it is in the Rochester market). Add the fact, most of the problems are probably from SDV anyway with all the additional equipment and complexity.

post #2656 of 2925 Old 05-12-2016, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

It amazes me every time I see a crt in someone's house. How low a price does a hdtv have to get before people get rid of them? I see at least one behemoth on the curb every week. I got rid of my last one 7 or 8 years ago.

My wife's sister finally got a 32" last year, but her stubborn husband hasn't bothered getting a hd box from his sat provider.... At least their ota channels are HD.
post #2657 of 2925 Old 05-12-2016, 09:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post
My wife's sister finally got a 32" last year, but her stubborn husband hasn't bothered getting a hd box from his sat provider.... At least their ota channels are HD.
Most Satellite Providers charge a fee when an existing customer upgrades their SD Equipment to HD Equipment so maybe the stubborn husband doesn't wanna pay for the hd upgrade because he's a cheapo or he's one of the many people that thinks SD is just fine or he's just lazy.
post #2658 of 2925 Old 05-13-2016, 03:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah, mostly lazy and or bad eyesight. I told him to threaten to go to the other company and that the price would suddenly come down.
post #2659 of 2925 Old 05-13-2016, 04:33 AM

Quoted: 1407 Post(s)
Liked: 514
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
Quote:
It amazes me every time I see a crt in someone's house. How low a price does a hdtv have to get before people get rid of them? I see at least one behemoth on the curb every week. I got rid of my last one 7 or 8 years ago.
$0. Why should someone throw away something that works perfectly well just because something better exists?

I'm someone who likes modern technology, but I also believe in saving money. There's a single HDTV at my parents' house and three CRTs. Why? The CRTs still work. HD is nice, it's certainly something I like and enjoy, but it's not required.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #2660 of 2925 Old 05-13-2016, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Life is too short to watch sdtv...
lflorack, larrude and MPNASCAR24 like this.
post #2661 of 2925 Old 05-13-2016, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yeah, mostly lazy and or bad eyesight. I told him to threaten to go to the other company and that the price would suddenly come down.
Tell your lazy relative to do what my aunt did. She got her first HDTV for Christmas and when she called dish they told her her HD upgrade would cost around $200. She didn't like that and told them to make the HD upgrade free or cancel her account. The rep called his supervisor and they gave my aunt one of their new customer only promos which included a free HD upgrade. If it can work once maybe it'll work again.
gregoryperkins likes this.
post #2662 of 2925 Old 05-14-2016, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yup, told him a dozen times... He just got his eyes fixed, maybe that will push him along...
post #2663 of 2925 Old 05-14-2016, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yup, told him a dozen times... He just got his eyes fixed, maybe that will push him along...
Now that his eyes are fixed let's hope he realizes he needs a hd box.
post #2664 of 2925 Old 05-16-2016, 12:27 PM

TWC broadband speeds

I was on the phone with TWC customer service today renegotiating my package. A couple of interesting things came out of the conversation.

1. The new packages have a no rate increase built in - rates will only go up for equipment changes, and government initiated tax and surcharge fees (I don't believe it, but that is what they told me.

2. When the broadband speed increases later this year (as the eliminate the duplicate analogue channels) the Ultimate Package, currently 50 Mbps down and 5 Mbps up will go to 300 down and 20 up.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/5330164575.png
post #2665 of 2925 Old 05-16-2016, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrude View Post
1. The new packages have a no rate increase built in - rates will only go up for equipment changes, and government initiated tax and surcharge fees (I don't believe it, but that is what they told me.
I don't believe it either. If it's true i want something from time warner in writing that says so.
post #2666 of 2925 Old 05-23-2016, 05:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Frontier Fiber?

I'm currently on RoadRunner for Internet and DirecTV for TV - and have been on both for many years. so, I'm not at all aware of what's available otherwise -- except for TWC for TV service (which I hated when I had it a while ago).

I'm buying new home and should be in by mid-July. It's a new build that's physically in Greece but has a Hilton mailing address. I've been told by the builder that Frontier fiber optics has been run in my new neighborhood. Depending on its capabilities, I'd be interested in using it for both internet and TV feeds. However, I cannot get anyone at Frontier to even acknowledge that the fiber optics feed is there. Does anyone know what fiber optic capabilities Frontier has in the area?

Link: System Pix & Diagrams
Klipsch: (2) RF-83, (1) RC-64, (2) RVX-54, (2) RSX-5, SVS: (1) SB13-Ultra
Yamaha: Aventage RX-A1080, CDC-685, Samsung: UBD-M8500, JVC: Procision DLA-X550R
DragonFly: 16:9 133" High Contrast Screen, Apple: AppleTV, Roku: Roku4
Amazon: FireTV Stick, Logitech: Harmony One, ACP: J15BLK 1.5 kVA Power Conditioner/UPS
post #2667 of 2925 Old 05-23-2016, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

As far as i know the only markets that have fiber internet from frontier are the markets that they purchased from verizon fios & verizon fios was never in the rochester area. Maybe the fiber service you were told about is from another company and the builder said the wrong name. The only fiber internet provider i could find for the rochester/greece area is greenlight networks https://greenlightnetworks.com Maybe that's the fiber isp you heard about.
post #2668 of 2925 Old 05-23-2016, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPNASCAR24 View Post
As far as i know the only markets that have fiber internet from frontier are the markets that they purchased from verizon fios & verizon fios was never in the rochester area. Maybe the fiber service you were told about is from another company and the builder said the wrong name. The only fiber internet provider i could find for the rochester/greece area is greenlight networks https://greenlightnetworks.com Maybe that's the fiber isp you heard about.
I do know of some isolated areas in the Rochester area that did have fiber installed. I believe that Frontier IS installing fiber in new/rebuild areas. To what degree those fibers are "lit" I do not know. About 3 years ago an area in Fairport (behind the High School) had all the wiring (TW Cable, power & twisted pair phone) changed from poles (back yard) to underground. When the job was done, some small "Frontier Fiber coming soon" appeared for about a week. I suspect that something similar was done in Lee's case. At the most, all that Verizon would offer is real high speed internet. They just do not have a sufficient footprint to get involved with TV.

BTW: I moved from Fairport to Hamburg, NY about 3 years ago. There we had the choice of TWC or Verizon FiOS. I went with FiOS, largely because it was cheaper, FiOS has some advantages and disadvantages over TWC. When my 2 yr contract expired, I found that FiOS still was a better deal (TWC just did not seem interested in competing).

Dave Hancock
post #2669 of 2925 Old 05-23-2016, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

If frontier does have fios service in rochester i'm pretty sure it won't include tv service, Just internet & home phone maybe security.
post #2670 of 2925 Old 05-24-2016, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post
I do know of some isolated areas in the Rochester area that did have fiber installed. I believe that Frontier IS installing fiber in new/rebuild areas. To what degree those fibers are "lit" I do not know. About 3 years ago an area in Fairport (behind the High School) had all the wiring (TW Cable, power & twisted pair phone) changed from poles (back yard) to underground. When the job was done, some small "Frontier Fiber coming soon" appeared for about a week. I suspect that something similar was done in Lee's case. At the most, all that Verizon would offer is real high speed internet. They just do not have a sufficient footprint to get involved with TV.
First, Hi Dave! Long time no talk. Second, I agree with you that, at least currently, Frontier's fiber-based offerings won't include TV. I was hoping, but I guess not yet.

For those interested, we're talking about Stonewood Manor. Even though it has a Hilton mailing address, it's physically in Greece on Aviamore Drive - which is off of Putney Place - which is off of Peck Road between North Greece and Manitou Rd.

I've now called Frontier twice to see if there was actually fiber in my new area as the builder said their was. The first time the rep concluded (in under 10 minutes) that there as no Frontier fiber-optics cable in the area. The second time, the different rep was away for about 25 minutes. When he returned, he apologized for the delay and then didn't say if it was available or not at my new address. BUT he did say that he was sending out a technician to see if there was a readable 'ping' at that address. So, it sounds like the fiber may be run but they don't know if it's actually 'hot' or not. Very odd. Although my address is new, the development is at least 2-3 years old.

So, it looks like I'm staying with DirecTV for TV. I'll have to get a pole installed and execute the DirecTV's mover's service. Since I have the Protection Plan, that will be free. Depending on the result of Frontier's little 'field test', I might possibly be able to move to Frontier fiber for internet. It will come down to price and speed if I move from Road Runner.

Link: System Pix & Diagrams
Klipsch: (2) RF-83, (1) RC-64, (2) RVX-54, (2) RSX-5, SVS: (1) SB13-Ultra
Yamaha: Aventage RX-A1080, CDC-685, Samsung: UBD-M8500, JVC: Procision DLA-X550R
DragonFly: 16:9 133" High Contrast Screen, Apple: AppleTV, Roku: Roku4
Amazon: FireTV Stick, Logitech: Harmony One, ACP: J15BLK 1.5 kVA Power Conditioner/UPS

Last edited by lflorack; 05-24-2016 at 10:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page