Rochester, NY - HDTV - Page 90 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 28Likes

post #2671 of 2922 Old 05-24-2016, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by lflorack View Post
First, Hi Dave! Long time no talk. Second, I agree with you that, at least currently, Frontier's fiber-based offerings won't include TV. I was hoping, but I guess not yet.

For those interested, we're talking about Stonewood Manor. Even though it has a Hilton mailing address, it's physically in Greece on Aviamore Drive - which is off of Putney Place - which is off of Peck Road between North Greece and Manitou Rd.

I've now called Frontier twice to see if there was actually fiber in my new area as the builder said their was. The first time the rep concluded (in under 10 minutes) that there as no Frontier fiber-optics cable in the area. The second time, the different rep was away for about 25 minutes. When he returned, he apologized for the delay and then didn't say if it was available or not at my new address. BUT he did say that he was sending out a technician to see if there was a readable 'ping' at that address. So, it sounds like the fiber may be run but they don't know if it's actually 'hot' or not. Very odd. Although my address is new, the development is at least 2-3 years old.

So, it looks like I'm staying with DirecTV for TV. I'll have to get a pole installed and execute the DirecTV's mover's service. Since I have the Protection Plan, that will be free. Depending on the result of their little 'field test', I might possibly be able to move to Frontier fiber for internet. It will come down to price and speed if I move from Road Runner.
It could be that Frontier is only using Fiber to the home and has a "Fiber to POTS" (twisted pair) interface in the home. In that case, all that they could offer you is DSL. If that is the case, the Internet service would be much better than usual, but still not anywhere near TWC speeds.

Dave Hancock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2672 of 2922 Old 05-24-2016, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post
It could be that Frontier is only using Fiber to the home and has a "Fiber to POTS" (twisted pair) interface in the home. In that case, all that they could offer you is DSL. If that is the case, the Internet service would be much better than usual, but still not anywhere near TWC speeds.

You could very well be right. If that's the case, I'd definitely stay with TWC as I'm currently at the Extreme Level - 30Mbps down/5Mbps Up (normally ~37/7).

On another - but related, topic: I'm probably adding another TV (~42") to the house because the 55" Samsung you calibrated for me is too big for the living room and it'll be moving to the downstairs theater room. I've been out of the new TV-buying mode for a while now and am researching for the new 'upstairs' TV. Any suggestions regarding things to look for, technology, etc. It doesn't need to be exceptional because my more critical viewing will be downstairs. (Maybe someday when I recover from all this spending, I'll put in a projector downstairs, but for now, the existing Samsung will be OK.)

If that's too wide-open of a question, I understand.

Lee

Link: System Pix & Diagrams
Klipsch: (2) RF-83, (1) RC-64, (2) RVX-54, (2) RSX-5, SVS: (1) SB13-Ultra
Yamaha: Aventage RX-A1080, CDC-685, Samsung: UBD-M8500, JVC: Procision DLA-X550R
DragonFly: 16:9 133" High Contrast Screen, Apple: AppleTV, Roku: Roku4
Amazon: FireTV Stick, Logitech: Harmony One, ACP: J15BLK 1.5 kVA Power Conditioner/UPS
post #2673 of 2922 Old 05-24-2016, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
You could very well be right. If that's the case, I'd definitely stay with TWC as I'm currently at the Extreme Level - 30Mbps down/5Mbps Up (normally ~37/7).

On another - but related, topic: I'm probably adding another TV (~42") to the house because the 55" Samsung you calibrated for me is too big for the living room and it'll be moving to the downstairs theater room. I've been out of the new TV-buying mode for a while now and am researching for the new 'upstairs' TV. Any suggestions regarding things to look for, technology, etc. It doesn't need to be exceptional because my more critical viewing will be downstairs. (Maybe someday when I recover from all this spending, I'll put in a projector downstairs, but for now, the existing Samsung will be OK.)

If that's too wide-open of a question, I understand.

Lee
I'll PM you.

Dave Hancock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2674 of 2922 Old 05-24-2016, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post
I'll PM you.
OK. Thanks.

Yamaha: Aventage RX-A1080, CDC-685, Samsung: UBD-M8500, JVC: Procision DLA-X550R
Amazon: FireTV Stick, Logitech: Harmony One, ACP: J15BLK 1.5 kVA Power Conditioner/UPS
post #2675 of 2922 Old 05-24-2016, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 681 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
the 55" Samsung you calibrated for me is too big
Heresy! TVs are only big the first day! Your problem is not the tv, it is the room. Get a bigger house!
shibez likes this.
post #2676 of 2922 Old 05-24-2016, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post
Heresy! TVs are only big the first day! Your problem is not the tv, it is the room. Get a bigger house!

It's only too big for the spot over the fireplace in the living room. It'll fit in just fine in the 16' x 20'Home Theater room.

post #2677 of 2922 Old 06-14-2016, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
There is no such thing as going to big, when it concerns TV's

Proud Owner of 55EG9100
post #2678 of 2922 Old 06-15-2016, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

Well, you'll all be happy. As the house is getting closer to completion, we took the time to measure the space above the fireplace and we've decided that the 55" TV will fit up there fine. Then we took the further step to move toward setting up the dedicated Home Theater Room in the basement with a 120" screen and a projector. Since The house is going up faster than I can keep up with, I've hired someone to help with the wiring and projector and screen setup. I'll let you know what we get and how the setup goes as it moves along.

davehancock, I may call you for another calibration! This time on a projector...
shibez likes this.

post #2679 of 2922 Old 06-16-2016, 05:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

What did you decide on a projector? I am due for replacement but I feel that the timing is wrong. I'd like something that supports hdr/expanded color, 4k doesn't matter so much so virtual 4k will be fine. I was considering the Sony, but it is 2 years old and while an upgrade from my Mitsubishi, probably not enough to warrant buying it.
post #2680 of 2922 Old 06-17-2016, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
What did you decide on a projector? I am due for replacement but I feel that the timing is wrong. I'd like something that supports hdr/expanded color, 4k doesn't matter so much so virtual 4k will be fine. I was considering the Sony, but it is 2 years old and while an upgrade from my Mitsubishi, probably not enough to warrant buying it.
Having spent all of my time so far with TV's, I'm a complete novice when it comes to projectors and screens. So, I'm working with Corey DeRue who owns Rochester Home Theater. In my case, he works with the builder to pre-wire everything (speakers, HDMI, CAT6, IR distribution, etc.) and then acts as the coordinator for the purchase and installation of the selected equipment. Anyway, the unit chosen is JVC DLS-X550R.

The marketing blurb says, "The DLA-X550R delivers stunning picture detail and an unprecedented value thanks to JVC's exclusive 4K e-shift4 technology. It accepts native 4K 60P (4:4:4) content through Full Speed 18Gbps HDMI/HDCP 2.2 compatible inputs and up-converts existing 1080P sources to 4K precision. Three discrete D-ILA devices produce a stable image with no flicker and class leading 40,000:1 Native Contrast Ratio for peak whites and deep blacks. For 2016, JVC projectors include HDR content compatibility and an improved Clear Motion Drive for unmatched picture quality, as well as a newly developed high power lamp that provides 1700 lumens: the highest in-class brightness."

I saw a demo of it this morning and it looked great. But again, I'm a novice - but it looked good to me.

post #2681 of 2922 Old 06-17-2016, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Having spent all of my time so far with TV's, I'm a complete novice when it comes to projectors and screens. So, I'm working with Corey DeRue who owns Rochester Home Theater. In my case, he works with the builder to pre-wire everything (speakers, HDMI, CAT6, IR distribution, etc.) and then acts as the coordinator for the purchase and installation of the selected equipment. Anyway, the unit chosen is JVC DLS-X550R.

The marketing blurb says, "The DLA-X550R delivers stunning picture detail and an unprecedented value thanks to JVC's exclusive 4K e-shift4 technology. It accepts native 4K 60P (4:4:4) content through Full Speed 18Gbps HDMI/HDCP 2.2 compatible inputs and up-converts existing 1080P sources to 4K precision. Three discrete D-ILA devices produce a stable image with no flicker and class leading 40,000:1 Native Contrast Ratio for peak whites and deep blacks. For 2016, JVC projectors include HDR content compatibility and an improved Clear Motion Drive for unmatched picture quality, as well as a newly developed high power lamp that provides 1700 lumens: the highest in-class brightness."

I saw a demo of it this morning and it looked great. But again, I'm a novice - but it looked good to me.
I'm sure you will be very happy with it. That's almost exactly what I was thinking of! Congratulations.
post #2682 of 2922 Old 06-26-2016, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

This morning, I signed up for a triple-play package (TV/Internet/Phone) with Time Warner. I'm not going to use -- or even allow the tech to hook up, the phone but it's cheaper if I sign up with it included. I've been with DirecTV since 2005 and really liked the service. But my new home has no line-of-site for the satellites. So, I needed to change. I got the preferred level of channels with EPIX(?) and Stars, Extreme (50 Mbps) for internet (already had the 30 Mbps but the package includes the upgrade) and the unwanted phone. Changing to TWC from DirecTV (in this case), as always, is a good deal - about $40 less than I was paying/month - for the first year. I got an enhanced Whole Home DVR and two additional set-top boxes for the other two TV's.

Having been with DirecTV for so long, is there anything I should be aware of with either the hardware or service?

post #2683 of 2922 Old 06-26-2016, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

My sister got the same thing. The phone is on a separate line to ensure quality I'm sure. They obviously don't understand how voip works...

I can't comment on the box since I've been on Tivo for 2 or so years. I'm sure it has its issues, but you get vod which I liked if I missed a show, never for movies.

It's hard to believe that they can't find a line of sight for sat. You must be in a heavily wooded area.
post #2684 of 2922 Old 06-27-2016, 03:37 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 324
lflorack;
1. When that 'deal' runs out in a year, you can 'buy' a DVR & rent a Cable Card instead of renting their equipment. (They supply a SDV adapter) You have control over the equipment, not them!
2. Their (what I call) 'hybrid VoIP' telephone service is far better than 3rd party VoIP from companies like Magic Jack & Vonage etc. So is their support. There is no "separate line", everything comes down the pike on the same coaxial cable drop to your house.
3. You are paying for the phone serivce, why not use it? It's real phone that is more reliable and has better audio than using a 'toy' phone.
4. Their DVR doesn't allow 'skipping' channels like all 3rd party equipment does, if you usually 'surf', you will find out very fast how annoying that is which includes their 'Guide' which has everything on it listed. You can (or use to be able to) assign 'favorites' and use the favorite button to surf 'up' to only the channels you pick, but there is no selective back equivalent other than the 'down' button which is every channel.
5. The recordings are locked to their DVR, you can't offload them (I beleive it is the same way with satellite). If you add an external HDD, if the DVR gets changed out, you loose those recordings. (All of that thanks to the greedy self servicing Hollywood elitists. .
6. Lastly, you can connect conventional TV's without their equipment (unlike satellite) for now, but that will change shortly. That includes your OTA locals in HD and the others in analog. (Not exactly the biggest deal.)

Recording free OTA TV for 'time shifting' has been here since 1975. Will there be DVR's to do the same when ATSC3 obsoletes existing DVR's??
post #2685 of 2922 Old 06-27-2016, 05:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
My sister got the same thing. The phone is on a separate line to ensure quality I'm sure. They obviously don't understand how voip works...

I can't comment on the box since I've been on Tivo for 2 or so years. I'm sure it has its issues, but you get vod which I liked if I missed a show, never for movies.

It's hard to believe that they can't find a line of sight for sat. You must be in a heavily wooded area.
Yes regarding the woods. My new townhome's back yard is very short and the 50'+ trees are within 75' to 100' of the house - which very definitely block LOS to DirecTV's satellites. Even the roof wouldn't be high enough.

Update: I've attached a pic of the backyard. You can't see even half of the height of the trees, but you get the idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pic1.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	1516906  

Last edited by lflorack; 06-27-2016 at 05:39 AM.
post #2686 of 2922 Old 06-27-2016, 05:34 AM
Advanced Member

Thank you for your responses. I appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
1. When that 'deal' runs out in a year, you can 'buy' a DVR & rent a Cable Card instead of renting their equipment. (They supply a SDV adapter) You have control over the equipment, not them!

I agree. I already own my own modem and router. Depending on how I like the DVR and satellites, I may go Tivo too.

Quote:
2. Their (what I call) 'hybrid VoIP' telephone service is far better than 3rd party VoIP from companies like Magic Jack & Vonage etc. So is their support. There is no "separate line", everything comes down the pike on the same coaxial cable drop to your house.
3. You are paying for the phone serivce, why not use it? It's real phone that is more reliable and has better audio than using a 'toy' phone.

There are a couple of reasons. The only reason I allowed the phone on my bill is because I'm actually reducing my cost with the package - so (to me) I'm not actually paying for it. I'm reducing my bill with it. Also, (if I'm correct), hooking up the phone requires use of their modem/router combo - neither of which I want. I had TWC years ago and hated the service and their arrogance. I'm being forced to go with them again due to LOS issues for DirecTV satellites and I'm hoping they've gotten better over the years (probably not) and I'd like to minimize my footprint with them as much as possible.

Quote:
4. Their DVR doesn't allow 'skipping' channels like all 3rd party equipment does, if you usually 'surf', you will find out very fast how annoying that is which includes their 'Guide' which has everything on it listed. You can (or use to be able to) assign 'favorites' and use the favorite button to surf 'up' to only the channels you pick, but there is no selective back equivalent other than the 'down' button which is every channel.

I don't watch anything live - other than sports, preferring to record everything to the DVR and watching it later. So, I honestly do not surf at all. I do however like to skip all commercials as I'm using the DVR. Are you saying I can't do that? (you said I couldn't skip channels. Is that what you meant?)

Quote:
5. The recordings are locked to their DVR, you can't offload them (I beleive it is the same way with satellite). If you add an external HDD, if the DVR gets changed out, you loose those recordings. (All of that thanks to the greedy self servicing Hollywood elitists. .

It IS the same with Satellite (shows locked to the DVR), so no change there.

Quote:
6. Lastly, you can connect conventional TV's without their equipment (unlike satellite) for now, but that will change shortly. That includes your OTA locals in HD and the others in analog. (Not exactly the biggest deal.)
If I decide to use OTA's, I'll hook my antenna up to the TV's I'd like to use and switch to that input.

Last edited by lflorack; 06-27-2016 at 07:11 AM.
post #2687 of 2922 Old 06-27-2016, 06:48 AM

Quote:
I do however like to skip all commercials as I'm using the DVR. Are you saying I can't do that? (you said I couldn't skip channels. Is that what you meant?)
Commercials & channels are two completely different things. Yes you can FF thru commercials, I don't remember what, if any the skip function is on their DVR. With the right learning remote, you can program fixed time skipping (1, 2, 3 minutes) 'macros' which is what I do.
Quote:
Also, (if I'm correct), hooking up the phone requires use of their modem/outer combo - neither of which I want.
The "eMTA" is included in the cost of their phone service. The modem portion is separately charged ($10/mo) if you don't supply your own modem. My point is, it doesn't cost you anything other than the actually telephone(s) themselves to you their VoIP service.
I have my modem 'stacked' in front of the eMTA (using cable ties) mounted on a board hanging on the wall behind my PC (for convenience & local access). My router is next to those mounted on the same removable board (3/8" plywood). If there is a problem, I can look at the status LED's and have direct access to power boot if necessary. Their eMTA has been very reliable (which surprised me) thou recently the connection access (dialing out) has been a small problem as is the initial audio path.

Recording free OTA TV for 'time shifting' has been here since 1975. Will there be DVR's to do the same when ATSC3 obsoletes existing DVR's??
post #2688 of 2922 Old 06-27-2016, 06:53 AM

BTW; Be sure you ask for their newer DVR, not that ancient, silver SA 8300 which is a power hog. The only downside is it's two piece (separate PS) which I never liked,

post #2689 of 2922 Old 06-27-2016, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
BTW; Be sure you ask for their newer DVR, not that ancient, silver SA 8300 which is a power hog. The only downside is it's two piece (separate PS) which I never liked,
I ordered the 'Enhanced' Whole-Home DVR which records up to 6 shows at once. I think (?) that means I'm getting the newer one since the standard whole-home DVR only records up to 2 simultaneous shows. I currently can record up to 8 simultaneous shows with my DirecTV whole home system/two DVRs, so 6 is already a step backward - but probably not a big deal as I rarely hit that many at once.

post #2690 of 2922 Old 06-27-2016, 07:45 AM

Then you should be all set. I see many of the older 8300 on the shelves at their customer centers.

post #2691 of 2922 Old 07-15-2016, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Thank you for your responses. I appreciate it.

I agree. I already own my own modem and router. Depending on how I like the DVR and satellites, I may go Tivo too.

There are a couple of reasons. The only reason I allowed the phone on my bill is because I'm actually reducing my cost with the package - so (to me) I'm not actually paying for it. I'm reducing my bill with it. Also, (if I'm correct), hooking up the phone requires use of their modem/router combo - neither of which I want. I had TWC years ago and hated the service and their arrogance. I'm being forced to go with them again due to LOS issues for DirecTV satellites and I'm hoping they've gotten better over the years (probably not) and I'd like to minimize my footprint with them as much as possible.

I don't watch anything live - other than sports, preferring to record everything to the DVR and watching it later. So, I honestly do not surf at all. I do however like to skip all commercials as I'm using the DVR. Are you saying I can't do that? (you said I couldn't skip channels. Is that what you meant?)

It IS the same with Satellite (shows locked to the DVR), so no change there.

If I decide to use OTA's, I'll hook my antenna up to the TV's I'd like to use and switch to that input.
Lee,
I have found, that for me, the TWC of 2016 offers a far better product than they did 5 years ago. My internet speed is routinely running over 60 bit per second down and over 6 bits per second up. The phone system not only works well (and I am using my own modem for phone and broadband) and now includes a "robocall" feature that catches about 95% or more of the solicitation calls that I receive (the phone rings once and then they transfer it away). The cable reception is good, the new enhanced DVR is so much better, and the only issue I had was price increases.

They last two years, after getting transferred to a retention specialist, my price has decreased over the previous years. I am paying for more channels, faster broadband, and decent phone service less than I was 10 years ago.

I'm not going to say that TWC has reached perfection, but I am very satisfied

Larry
post #2692 of 2922 Old 07-16-2016, 04:41 AM

Quote:
the only issue I had was price increases.
Which cancels everything else for the most part. They refuse to offer discounts on phone & Internet w/o TV.
Yes, their VoIP phone service is good, so is their Internet access, but you can't purchase a eMTA which means two separate devices for phone & Internet which is ridiculous. They almost force you to buy a modem (which isn't a problem), but the eMTA that that is included with the VoIP service (half of it is disabled when you supply the modem) they refuse to allow purchase.

Let's not forget the unnecessary use of SDV (AFAIC) on systems which have dropped analog, next to no choice of customer owned equipment & high rental rates for their equipment (which should be included with the service).

post #2693 of 2922 Old 07-16-2016, 05:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrude View Post
Lee,
I have found, that for me, the TWC of 2016 offers a far better product than they did 5 years ago. My internet speed is routinely running over 60 bit per second down and over 6 bits per second up. The phone system not only works well (and I am using my own modem for phone and broadband) and now includes a "robocall" feature that catches about 95% or more of the solicitation calls that I receive (the phone rings once and then they transfer it away). The cable reception is good, the new enhanced DVR is so much better, and the only issue I had was price increases.

They last two years, after getting transferred to a retention specialist, my price has decreased over the previous years. I am paying for more channels, faster broadband, and decent phone service less than I was 10 years ago.

I'm not going to say that TWC has reached perfection, but I am very satisfied

Larry

My TWC experience prior to 2005 was not good, so, that's encouraging. I'm forced to use TWC for TV now due to lack of LOS for DirecTV satellites at my new home (moving in Tuesday!) My biggest frustrations back then were their terrible DVR's (more precisely the very unstable software) which would not record some times and lose already recorded shows at other times, as well as their arrogant and pretty much useless support. As far as cost is concerned, once you get past any provider's new customer deals, similar service levels end up at very similar pricing. I'm only saving money with TWC for the first year and then I'll be back at the same level I was paying with DirecTV.

I'll let everyone know my impressions as I go back to TWC service - which starts on Wednesday.

Lee

post #2694 of 2922 Old 07-16-2016, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Which cancels everything else for the most part. They refuse to offer discounts on phone & Internet w/o TV.
Yes, their VoIP phone service is good, so is their Internet access, but you can't purchase a eMTA which means two separate devices for phone & Internet which is ridiculous. They almost force you to buy a modem (which isn't a problem), but the eMTA that that is included with the VoIP service (half of it is disabled when you supply the modem) they refuse to allow purchase.

Let's not forget the unnecessary use of SDV (AFAIC) on systems which have dropped analog, next to no choice of customer owned equipment & high rental rates for their equipment (which should be included with the service).
But please notice, that with a few minutes of negotiation with their retention team, they dropped my price below what it had been at the start of the negotiation. My price just kept getting lower.

I've gotten use to the negotiation game with Sirius/XM as well ; seems like a silly games to have to play each year.

I'm looking forward to hear about Lee's expereince when all is done
post #2695 of 2922 Old 07-16-2016, 12:04 PM

Quote:
But please notice, that with a few minutes of negotiation with their retention team, they dropped my price below what it had been at the start of the negotiation. My price just kept getting lower.
I'd like to know why it's different in your market. That doesn't work here, after a 2nd round of price increases. I managed for the 1st renewal to get a lower price, but not as low as the original $90 (plus add-ons), but the 2nd renewal no real deal and like I said, they won't deal with just two out of the three services.
larrude likes this.

post #2696 of 2922 Old 07-16-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
I'd like to know why it's different in your market. That doesn't work here, after a 2nd round of price increases. I managed for the 1st renewal to get a lower price, but not as low as the original $90 (plus add-ons), but the 2nd renewal no real deal and like I said, they won't deal with just two out of the three services.
Maybe the pricing is higher and I'm just thinking that I have a great deal

This is what I get:

DVR Service
DVR Upgrade (enhanced)
HD Set-Top Box
EPIX
HBO
Showtime
Standard TV
Starter TV
Starz
The Guide
Variety Pass

Ultimate Internet Upgrade

3 Way Calling
Account TN
Home Phone National
Voicemail

My monthly bill, before taxes, is $141.74 ( taxes may vary according to the locality)
post #2697 of 2922 Old 07-16-2016, 01:22 PM

How long is that suppose to be good for including the premiums??
That "DVR service" is that one DVR or a whole house setup?
The STB is just a tuner?
Your Internet service, is that 30 or 50Mbps?
How much are the add-ons (as I call them) for you?

For mine it's $128 including everything. $113 for their "Preferred TV" service, two CableCards & one DTA. Then there is $15 for the add-ons (taxes. fees & surcharges) which includes $8.75 for OTA & sports programming which is a huge ripoff! I have an antenna and I don't watch sports. I love how they distance themselves from what was and should be included in the service charge by putting the blame elsewhere.
Internet is 20Mbps.

post #2698 of 2922 Old 07-16-2016, 01:50 PM

Quote:
How long is that suppose to be good for including the premiums??
That "DVR service" is that one DVR or a whole house setup?
The STB is just a tuner?
Your Internet service, is that 30 or 50Mbps?
How much are the add-ons (as I call them) for you?

For mine it's $128 including everything. $113 for their "Preferred TV" service, two CableCards & one DTA. Then there is $15 for the add-ons (taxes. fees & surcharges) which includes $8.75 for OTA & sports programming which is a huge ripoff! I have an antenna and I don't watch sports. I love how they distance themselves from what was and should be included in the service charge by putting the blame elsewhere.
Internet is 20Mbps.
I don't think that I have the whole house DVR - my second cable box is in the basement and just used for the exercise equipment because OTA doesn't work down there. The STB is just an HD tuner.

My internet is 50Mbps, although it routinely measures at 60Mbps+

My add ons are $18.94, broken down like this:
Franchise Fee 5.96
E911 Surcharge 0.35
TWC Regulatory Recovery Fee 0.58
State Telecommunications Excise Tax 0.62
State and Local Sales Tax 1.44
State Universal Service Fund 0.02
Federal Universal Svc Recovery Fee 1.22
Broadcast TV and Sports Programming 8.75
Surcharges
Total taxes, fees & surcharges 18.94

Considering that it includes HBO, SHO, STARZ, and EPIX, plus the 50Mbps broadband and the enhanced DVR (records up to 6 channels at a time), I'm pleased with the price.

There was no firm expiration date on the package, although I was told not to expect increases (I don't believe that). Previously they would say it was a 12 month special or some such and they did not this time
post #2699 of 2922 Old 07-16-2016, 02:00 PM

Yes, you do have a good price. I was under the impression that those premium services 'deals' were three months.

Your franchise fee is $2 more than mine. Your taxes are 2x what mine are & the Fed USR is 2 1/2 x what mine is. Both interesting.

Does your itemized services show a cost for the DVR & STB?

post #2700 of 2922 Old 07-16-2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Yes, you do have a good price. I was under the impression that those premium services 'deals' were three months.

Your franchise fee is $2 more than mine. Your taxes are 2x what mine are & the Fed USR is 2 1/2 x what mine is. Both interesting.

Does your itemized services show a cost for the DVR & STB?
No, this is the part of the bill with the monthly services:

Monthly services
07/20-08/19 Best Triple Play Plus 169.99
Includes: Starter TV, Standard TV, Variety Pass,
DVR Service, The Guide, Enhanced DVR
Set-Top Box, Standard Internet, Home Phone
National, HBO, Showtime, Starz, DVR Upgrade,
EPIX, Ultimate Internet Upgrade, Voicemail.
Recurring Value Discount -40.00
Includes: HSD Discount, Telephone Discount,
Video Discount.
1 The Guide @ 3.25 3.25
Equipment Charges 8.50
1 HD Digital Converter
Total monthly services 141.74
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page