Rochester, NY - HDTV - Page 93 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 28Likes

post #2761 of 2934 Old 02-24-2017, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Rochester NY reception of Buffalo NY stations

Here's my TV Fool...

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e6a48e81ff6719

I've done a ton of reading before posting so I have a very basic understanding of how antennas work.

I built a DBGH narrow band, with a 36" reflector.
50' RG6 drop to a VIP 211k receiver.

I want to receive: WNYO(49), WGRZ(33), WIVB(39) and WKBW(38)

Am I wrong to believe that I should be able to get all 4 stations with this antenna and my location?
I'm able to get WIVB and WKBW with a viewable single 90% of the time. WGRZ came in once not a strong enough signal to be viewable, never picked it up again. Have not picked up WNYO ever.?.?.

I've tried adjusting the antenna at diffent times of the day/night and almost every weather condition...

Would it help to modify the DBGH to the wide band design or... Would a bow tie design serve me better?

Last edited by Frankie Rizzo; 02-24-2017 at 03:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2762 of 2934 Old 02-25-2017, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked: 254
So I'm guessing you are somewhere in Henrietta? I'm 3 miles further north/east from Pinnacle hill near the bay. I got Buffalo once with an outdoor antenna, mounted about 10' off the ground. That was probably 10 years ago and the tuners are much better. I still have the antenna, but it is uhf only, so not much good after the transition.

Have you tried just plugging the antenna into the tv? If I understand, you are using it to go into a dish box that has an ota tuner.

I'm not familiar with most of the jargon, so some links/explanation would help.

As usual, higher is better, outside is better, better tuner is better.
post #2763 of 2934 Old 02-26-2017, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
@gregoryperkins

Yes, Brighton/Henrietta
The antenna is a Double Bay Gray-Hoverman(DBGH)
http://www.digitalhome.ca/ota/superantenna/design.htm
It's mounted outside, 20' above the ground.

I've tried different tuners, with varying results. The Dish receiver is the most reliable.
It also allows me to see the signal on individual channels without scanning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2764 of 2934 Old 03-01-2017, 02:30 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 16
To all my AVS people in fairport, GreenLight Networks Is officially available in Fairport! I envy you https://greenlightnetworks.com/

Proud Owner of 55EG9100
post #2765 of 2934 Old 03-01-2017, 04:40 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked: 324
So what is that??

On a separate note regarding Netflix and the closing of the facility in the Rochester market (probably in Henrietta), after looking thru the logs of past rentals, I figure I'm out two discs per month due to the increase in travel time. I contacted them, they more or less agreed (what else could they do, it's all in black & white) and opened a case on it.

Recording free OTA TV for 'time shifting' has been here since 1975. Will there be DVR's to do the same when ATSC3 obsoletes existing DVR's??
post #2766 of 2934 Old 03-01-2017, 05:30 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
So what is that??

On a separate note regarding Netflix and the closing of the facility in the Rochester market (probably in Henrietta), after looking thru the logs of past rentals, I figure I'm out two discs per month due to the increase in travel time. I contacted them, they more or less agreed (what else could they do, it's all in black & white) and opened a case on it.
I haven't called yet but I get 2 movies a week, I use to mail back on Sat. and they would mail out new releases on Monday and I would get them on Tuesday. Two weeks ago they sent out my movies on Tuesday to receive on Thursday and never got them. I got on line and told them to send again, after another 4 days I got the movies and 2 days later got them again so I'm guessing the first ones were lost in the mail for 2 weeks. I'm getting ready to cancel the DVD but I will call first to see if any plans to restore the old way
post #2767 of 2934 Old 03-01-2017, 05:39 AM

Quote:
So what is that??

It's a broadband company that offers internet as fast as 1gig (1000Mbps) Speeds. And starts out at 100Mbps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpergo View Post
I haven't called yet but I get 2 movies a week, I use to mail back on Sat. and they would mail out new releases on Monday and I would get them on Tuesday. Two weeks ago they sent out my movies on Tuesday to receive on Thursday and never got them. I got on line and told them to send again, after another 4 days I got the movies and 2 days later got them again so I'm guessing the first ones were lost in the mail for 2 weeks. I'm getting ready to cancel the DVD but I will call first to see if any plans to restore the old way
I found the easiest way to rent a movie is redbox, but dont just goto a kiosk. Make an account on the website and reserve the movie you want at the kiosk that has it. Whenever i forget to reserve my movie, there is never anything i want in stock. Also when you make an account you can enter a rewards program and earn points for free movies. I gave up on netflix through snail mail years ago.

Proud Owner of 55EG9100

Last edited by shibez; 03-01-2017 at 05:44 AM.
post #2768 of 2934 Old 03-01-2017, 06:44 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked: 324
You would rather spend time & mileage driving to pick it up and return?? Makes no sense.

Recording free OTA TV for 'time shifting' has been here since 1975. Will there be DVR's to do the same when ATSC3 obsoletes existing DVR's??
post #2769 of 2934 Old 03-01-2017, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibez View Post
I found the easiest way to rent a movie is redbox, but dont just goto a kiosk. Make an account on the website and reserve the movie you want at the kiosk that has it. Whenever i forget to reserve my movie, there is never anything i want in stock. Also when you make an account you can enter a rewards program and earn points for free movies. I gave up on netflix through snail mail years ago.
I also find it easier to rent from redbox because they only charge about $2 for a single bluray movie and you can get it when you want to see it instead of waiting for it to come in the mail. Plus they have a kiosk just down the street from my apartment so on a nice day i can walk to the kiosk. I Didn't know about there rewards program until i read your post. I'll have to look into that.
post #2770 of 2934 Old 03-02-2017, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I get about 2/3 the movies I used to get when they were local, I may be switching to Redbox. I have a big pile of things to watch anyway.

The scan at the post office doesn't seem to work so well. They know the next day that I've sent something back, but they don't ship... I think I'll get them to switch me to NJ, same distance by car to Columbus, but maybe the mail moves faster?
post #2771 of 2934 Old 03-03-2017, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPNASCAR24 View Post
I also find it easier to rent from redbox because they only charge about $2 for a single bluray movie and you can get it when you want to see it instead of waiting for it to come in the mail. Plus they have a kiosk just down the street from my apartment so on a nice day i can walk to the kiosk. I Didn't know about there rewards program until i read your post. I'll have to look into that.
Yea the rewards program is called playpass. I just earned my first free rental after my 5th rental(about 5th). It's for any dvd, game, or bluray. And i have to use it within 60 days.

Also when you put your email address in at the kiosk it will periodically give you discounts right on the spot...Usually get a second disc for .75cents

Proud Owner of 55EG9100
post #2772 of 2934 Old 03-03-2017, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yea the rewards program is called playpass. I just earned my first free rental after my 5th rental(about 5th). It's for any dvd, game, or bluray. And i have to use it within 60 days.

Also when you put your email address in at the kiosk it will periodically give you discounts right on the spot...Usually get a second disc for .75cents
I've made up my mind, i'm signing up for playpass before my next movie rental. Thanks for the additional info.
post #2773 of 2934 Old 03-04-2017, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Greece, NY - By Athena

Hi all,

Here is the TV fool:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e6a4d5436cdbe2

Looking to get an antenna that I can place in my attic, which is actually part of the second floor at around ~15 feet. I can go higher and put it above the second floor bedrooms at around ~23 feet. My main concern is getting channel 8. My parents have an outdoor antenna and can pick up all stations except channel 8. WGMC (http://www.necrat.us/901rochester.html) seems to be the problem for them as they're directly north of the antenna, where I'm west of it.

Anyway, does anyone have a suggestion on an antenna? Was thinking of a mohu, but not sure that would get the signals I want. I prefer it to be attic, as roof access is limited. Lastly - is there a suggestion on an antenna to pick up CTV or CBC in Canada?

In the end, I'm thinking of these 3 options:

TiVO Roamio
HDHomerun
Direct connect to TV (no DVR) and use the network apps on Roku

Thanks for your help!
post #2774 of 2934 Old 03-04-2017, 09:54 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
So what is that??
We've had Greenlight for over two years. They bring fiber from the trunk directly into your home. They convert it, you plug an RJ45 cable into it from your router, and away you go. Wired connections are at least 100 Mbits per second download, and 17-18 upload. Reliability is excellent. Price is way less than I was paying for Roadrunner for way less bandwidth.
Ron
post #2775 of 2934 Old 03-04-2017, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nudave View Post
Hi all,

Here is the TV fool:

Looking to get an antenna that I can place in my attic, which is actually part of the second floor at around ~15 feet. I can go higher and put it above the second floor bedrooms at around ~23 feet. My main concern is getting channel 8. My parents have an outdoor antenna and can pick up all stations except channel 8. WGMC (http://www.necrat.us/901rochester.html) seems to be the problem for them as they're directly north of the antenna, where I'm west of it.

Anyway, does anyone have a suggestion on an antenna? Was thinking of a mohu, but not sure that would get the signals I want. I prefer it to be attic, as roof access is limited. Lastly - is there a suggestion on an antenna to pick up CTV or CBC in Canada?

TiVO Roamio
HDHomerun

Thanks for your help!
For locals the mohu should be fine, but the signals are not as strong to the north.

For Canada, an outside directional antenna.

Plex has a dvr now using the hd homerun.
post #2776 of 2934 Old 03-05-2017, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nudave View Post
Hi all,

Here is the TV fool:

TiVO Roamio
HDHomerun

Thanks for your help!
There is a low power transmitter on channel 20 here that interferes with CBC out of Toronto. Can't get any of the other Toronto stations regularly.

Chex channel 12 is VHF, but I can't get it regularly either. Based on my signal on my HD home run, it's just below the threshold needed. Note that I have a winegard 8200 so it's one of the best all in one's, I'd only get a 1 or 2 DB improvement if that on the UHF side of I went with a xg91 or db8e

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
post #2777 of 2934 Old 03-05-2017, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Rizzo View Post
Here's my TV Fool...

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e6a48e81ff6719

I've done a ton of reading before posting so I have a very basic understanding of how antennas work.

I built a DBGH narrow band, with a 36" reflector.
50' RG6 drop to a VIP 211k receiver.

I want to receive: WNYO(49), WGRZ(33), WIVB(39) and WKBW(38)

Am I wrong to believe that I should be able to get all 4 stations with this antenna and my location?
I'm able to get WIVB and WKBW with a viewable single 90% of the time. WGRZ came in once not a strong enough signal to be viewable, never picked it up again. Have not picked up WNYO ever.?.?.

I've tried adjusting the antenna at diffent times of the day/night and almost every weather condition...

Would it help to modify the DBGH to the wide band design or... Would a bow tie design serve me better?
Well I can get all those with my winegard 8200, except wkbw.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
post #2778 of 2934 Old 03-14-2017, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Time Warner Channel Changes

I just noticed this morning that time warner removed QVC, Evine TV, HSN and Jewelery TV from channels 20, 23, 39, 98. If you try watching any of those channels you'll get a message saying that network's programing is no longer available on that channel and it can be found on the channel numbers listed in the message.

For some reason analog channel 39 is still showing HSN programming while ch. 39 on my cable box shows a message saying HSN can be found on ch. 483. Shouldn't Time Warner have removed HSN from analog and digital channel 39 instead of just the one? Also does anybody know if TW actually said anything in advance about these channel changes because i never heard or read anything about this change until today.
post #2779 of 2934 Old 03-14-2017, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
I just noticed this morning that time warner removed QVC, Evine TV, HSN and Jewelery TV from channels 20, 23, 39, 98. If you try watching any of those channels you'll get a message saying that network's programing is no longer available on that channel and it can be found on the channel numbers listed in the message.

For some reason analog channel 39 is still showing HSN programming while ch. 39 on my cable box shows a message saying HSN can be found on ch. 483. Shouldn't Time Warner have removed HSN from analog and digital channel 39 instead of just the one? Also does anybody know if TW actually said anything in advance about these channel changes because i never heard or read anything about this change until today.
I didn't see anything about the change you're seeing. I also didn't notice the change - but then I never watch any of those stations.

Link: System Pix & Diagrams
Klipsch: (2) RF-83, (1) RC-64, (2) RVX-54, (2) RSX-5, SVS: (1) SB13-Ultra
Yamaha: Aventage RX-A1080, CDC-685, Samsung: UBD-M8500, JVC: Procision DLA-X550R
DragonFly: 16:9 133" High Contrast Screen, Apple: AppleTV, Roku: Roku4
Amazon: FireTV Stick, Logitech: Harmony One, ACP: J15BLK 1.5 kVA Power Conditioner/UPS
post #2780 of 2934 Old 03-14-2017, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lflorack View Post
I didn't see anything about the change you're seeing. I also didn't notice the change - but then I never watch any of those stations.
I normally don't watch shopping channels but this morning when i opened the on screen tv guide i realized they changed something when the channels i already mentioned had the words "No Information Available" listed instead of showing program information and the network name was changed to "Info".

What was strange about this channel change is the fact that time warner didn't say anything about it in advance plus the analog version of HSN wasn't affected by this change.
post #2781 of 2934 Old 03-17-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
What was strange about this channel change is the fact that time warner didn't say anything about it in advance plus the analog version of HSN wasn't affected by this change.
thats because time warner is no more in roc. Were dealing with a whole new company now. We will have to wait n see How spectrum is...But i will say So far not really liking thier customer service. I called the other day to get on spectrums pricing instead of the old TWC pricing for internet. Basically their internet is about 10 bucks cheaper than what i was paying for 30Mbp, and twice as fast at 60Mbp..Thats great right? Well the first lady i spoke with said she would send out a new modem and then my speeds would take affect then(when i connected it) So then i told her that i want to use my router and dont want the one with the built in router/modem. Well she then said i could use the modem i have now, because it was compatible...but she said if i used theirs i would see better performance. So i reluctantly agreed to have her ship out a new one.

Hung up, then realized my speed was not increased...So i called back to tell them i just want to use the old modem i have with TWC and i want my speeds now increased to 60Mbp. Well they then told me that my current modem was not compatible with their new internet. I would need to upgrade the modem...So in frustration i said fine i will get a new modem. And that i will just go and drive down...i asked if i would see any speed increase in the mean time and they had no clue. But 2 days later still no speed increase at all with the old modem. Have not had a chance to get the new one yet. I am going to try to go today but for some reason i have no faith that my speeds will magically go to 60Mbp. Especially since this modem i have now was supposed to be able to handle speeds of 50Mbp...but i see no speed increase.

Proud Owner of 55EG9100
post #2782 of 2934 Old 03-17-2017, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
thats because time warner is no more in roc. Were dealing with a whole new company now. We will have to wait n see How spectrum is...But i will say So far not really liking thier customer service. I called the other day to get on spectrums pricing instead of the old TWC pricing for internet. Basically their internet is about 10 bucks cheaper than what i was paying for 30Mbp, and twice as fast at 60Mbp..Thats great right? Well the first lady i spoke with said she would send out a new modem and then my speeds would take affect then(when i connected it) So then i told her that i want to use my router and dont want the one with the built in router/modem. Well she then said i could use the modem i have now, because it was compatible...but she said if i used theirs i would see better performance. So i reluctantly agreed to have her ship out a new one.

Hung up, then realized my speed was not increased...So i called back to tell them i just want to use the old modem i have with TWC and i want my speeds now increased to 60Mbp. Well they then told me that my current modem was not compatible with their new internet. I would need to upgrade the modem...So in frustration i said fine i will get a new modem. And that i will just go and drive down...i asked if i would see any speed increase in the mean time and they had no clue. But 2 days later still no speed increase at all with the old modem. Have not had a chance to get the new one yet. I am going to try to go today but for some reason i have no faith that my speeds will magically go to 60Mbp. Especially since this modem i have now was supposed to be able to handle speeds of 50Mbp...but i see no speed increase.
Wow that sucks. Did you power cycle the modem? I've heard you need to do that for speed changes. I'm not sure how high docsis 3 modems go, but I didn't think there was a limit of 50.
post #2783 of 2934 Old 03-17-2017, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Time Warner has always had crappy customer support and i'm pretty sure it won't get any better as spectrum. As for your internet speeds i'm pretty sure it's not possible for spectrum to give anybody speeds of 60mbps at this time.

Hopefully within the next 2 to 3 weeks i can tell time warner aka spectrum i'm canceling there service because i'm in the process of getting tv and 100mbps internet service from empire access. There network is 100% fiber just like verizon fios and when i called them this morning an actual person answered my call instead of a robot. I may have to pay TWC for one more month because the bill they just sent me is due april 1st and empire may not be able to do the install until the first week of april. A friend who used to have TWC told me if i cancel before the service period end date listed on my bill i should get a partial refund from TWC. That i have to see for myself to believe.
post #2784 of 2934 Old 03-17-2017, 04:57 PM

OK i got the new modem. I went to the old TWC(now spectrum) Location in Brockport. I had to call tech support up to switch the modem into bridge mode..which took me calling two separate times because the first guy didnt know what that meant. After they switched it over i had my new speeds...Currently getting 71Mbp down and almost 6 upload. Btw i am on a promo of 49 bucks for 1 year for the 60Mbp. and then after 1 year it goes up to 60(i think)

Proud Owner of 55EG9100
post #2785 of 2934 Old 03-17-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post
Wow that sucks. Did you power cycle the modem? I've heard you need to do that for speed changes. I'm not sure how high docsis 3 modems go, but I didn't think there was a limit of 50.
yea i power cycled multiple times with old modem, it wasnt giving the new speeds until i swapped out the modems.

Proud Owner of 55EG9100
post #2786 of 2934 Old 03-18-2017, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Hopefully within the next 2 to 3 weeks i can tell time warner aka spectrum i'm canceling there service because i'm in the process of getting tv and 100mbps internet service from empire access. There network is 100% fiber just like verizon fios and when i called them this morning an actual person answered my call instead of a robot.
Sounds great, I wish we had empire access here in rochester. Ive given up on cable tv years ago. It's just too pricey...and i don't see the point in playing the "switch game" anymore. Threatening to leave for another company unless they give me their best price they can give...bleh. I just stay with dish networks. I Kept the cable internet because there is no other option. DSL(frontier) here can only promise speeds up to 7Mbps. So i endure TWC(now spectrum)

Proud Owner of 55EG9100
post #2787 of 2934 Old 03-18-2017, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post
I'm not sure how high docsis 3 modems go, but I didn't think there was a limit of 50.

I have my own DOCIS 3 modem (Arris Surfboard 6141) and I pay for 50mbps but it normally provides 60-62 Mbps down and 6.2 up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yamaha: Aventage RX-A1080, CDC-685, Samsung: UBD-M8500, JVC: Procision DLA-X550R
Amazon: FireTV Stick, Logitech: Harmony One, ACP: J15BLK 1.5 kVA Power Conditioner/UPS
post #2788 of 2934 Old 03-18-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lflorack View Post
I have my own DOCIS 3 modem (Arris Surfboard 6141) and I pay for 50mbps but it normally provides 60-62 Mbps down and 6.2 up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If you call up spectrum and tell them you want to get on the Spectrum pricing, they will give you 60 for way less than what youre paying now. Also if you bug them enough they will give you a promo for Spectrum internet. 60Mbps for 49.99 for 1 year. I Believe it goes up to 60 dollars after the year. They don't charge a fee for modems. Just tell them your neighbor recently got a promo for Spectrum internet only. say he is paying 49.99 for 60Mbps for 1 year.

Also not sure if you bundle...I hate bundling, but they have a deal now that is 29.99 for 60Mbps if you bundle with internet and phone. The internet and phone are both 29.99 each. Comes out to about 90 dollars for all 3 for 1 year. (before taxes and fees)

Like i said i hate bundling but some like to do it.

Proud Owner of 55EG9100
post #2789 of 2934 Old 03-19-2017, 06:36 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the info. In July, we moved to a new house that doesn't have any line of sight for the DirecTV satellites. So, much to my displeasure, we switched to TWC - now Spectrum. Because we were switching From DirecTV, we got a deal for a triple play (even though I didn't want the phone and disconnected it when the tech left) that cost about $50 less per month than I used to pay for the DirecTV and Road Runner combo - at least for the first year. So, when the first year is up, I'll look into what I want to then and see what's available then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #2790 of 2934 Old 03-19-2017, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Sounds great, I wish we had empire access here in rochester. Ive given up on cable tv years ago. It's just too pricey...and i don't see the point in playing the "switch game" anymore. Threatening to leave for another company unless they give me their best price they can give...bleh. I just stay with dish networks. I Kept the cable internet because there is no other option. DSL(frontier) here can only promise speeds up to 7Mbps. So i endure TWC(now spectrum)
You should look into Greenlight internet and see if it's available where you live. I've heard there internet is all fiber just like empire access and there website says you can get 100mbps down and 20mbps up for $50 a month. That's a better deal than time warner now spectrum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page