Rochester, NY - HDTV - Page 97 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 34Likes

post #2881 of 2969 Old 03-10-2018, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked: 343
pitweasel;

Did you not read the post 5 above yours??? Where have you been, this has been going on for a couple of years now across the country if not longer. These markets are the last to get the change over.

Recording free OTA TV for 'time shifting' has been here since 1975. Will there be DVR's to do the same when ATSC3 obsoletes existing DVR's??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2882 of 2969 Old 03-10-2018, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibez View Post
Well I haven't been getting quite the 100Mb download...more like 70. But I just directly plugged my laptop into the modem with a Ethernet cable and I am getting 120Mb down...so I guess I need to upgrade my wifi router...
Sounds like it - and anything else in the infrastructure that's not capable of that speed.

I updated my speed to 100 Mbps before they did the recent mass upgrade for everybody and I found that my Wi-Fi speed was faster but my wired connection to my PC was not enough faster to make sense. I then realized that although my modem and router were up to snuff for 100Mbps, the 5-port switch I was using on the PC-connected leg of my internal network, was still a 10/100 switch. Once I swapped that out with a 8-port megabit switch, I am now getting 118Mbps.

Link: System Pix & Diagrams
Klipsch: (2) RF-83, (1) RC-64, (2) RVX-54, (2) RSX-5, SVS: (1) SB13-Ultra
Yamaha: Aventage RX-A1080, CDC-685, Samsung: UBD-M8500, JVC: Procision DLA-X550R
DragonFly: 16:9 133" High Contrast Screen, Apple: AppleTV, Roku: Roku4
Amazon: FireTV Stick, Logitech: Harmony One, ACP: J15BLK 1.5 kVA Power Conditioner/UPS

Last edited by lflorack; 03-10-2018 at 09:33 AM.
post #2883 of 2969 Old 03-10-2018, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
pitweasel;

Did you not read the post 5 above yours??? Where have you been, this has been going on for a couple of years now across the country if not longer. These markets are the last to get the change over.

No, I did not, because I was looking for recent posts about a recent change, not something from January.

Where have I been? Out of town for ten months a year for the last few years, working my tail off and not reading up daily on the status of cable protocols by state/county/city. Apologies for asking a question. How rude of me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2884 of 2969 Old 03-17-2018, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Any idea why spectrum news went sd?
post #2885 of 2969 Old 03-21-2018, 01:22 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Anyone looking to switch to Dish, Or upgrade their current Dish setup to the Hopper. I am happy to report that i was a current Dish subscriber that called and complained that 1. my bill was too high, and 2. my Dish equipment was old and obsolete. That i was thinking of switching to directv and told them what directv was offering...They of course just could not allow that. They offered me the top 200 at a 20 dollar a month discount and a free upgrade to the Hopper-3 16 tuner 3 room setup....with a waive of the 200 dollar installation charge.

Thats right...They have the audacity to charge customers 200 bucks to install the hopper...ON TOP of all the monthly fees for the equipment...can you believe that? So for the past 4 years ive been watching dish on set top boxes that were probably made in 2003 with a software interface that was outdated that same year. I cant understand why Dish doesn't just give everyone the hopper...We are still leasing the equipment every month.

That said the being able to record 16 shows at once is very nice..and the hopper-3 Receiver is like upgrading from a kia to a cadillac. If you can handle not having NFL Sunday Ticket and can live without the YES Network, And MSG network...its worth it if you can get them to waive that 200 dollar install fee.

Proud Owner of 55EG9100
Proud Owner of OLED65C9PUA
post #2886 of 2969 Old 03-21-2018, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 199
I alpha and beta tested for RR (twc) and have used their service since. at the time I had a p2 266. the speeds we were getting during beta blow away what we are paying for now ! mainly because of shear # of connections and equipment that's not capable of handling them . there is a few things I can tell you , their equipment at this time is in need of updating , nodes are overloaded . The so called speed test are cached and not exactly accurate and to top it all off twc Rochester NY is one of the oldest based internet cable suppliers yet some of the highest paying in the country in respect to speeds . worst yet they are the only real choice we have . still I'm a customer .... and I suppose it could be worse . The cable tv ? yeah I'm about to ditch that and just rely on my antenna, bluray player and sling . mostly because of cost .

Project Classic SB, Sumiko Amythest, Project DS Tube
Yamaha RX-A3050
Sony X800, Xbox one, HTPC
Sony 930 E
SVS Ultra Towers, SVS SB200, Polk center (need to replace), Paridigm studio 60v3
post #2887 of 2969 Old 03-21-2018, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Well the speeds are real for me. Once I upgraded, I downloaded a bunch of big software and it came down much faster than it would at work and significantly (at least 5x) faster than it was when I was at 16 mbs. It really depends on the sending site.

I'm off in 4k land now with an LG Oled and really enjoying the dv and hdr10 content that Netflix and Amazon provide. I have a uhd player too, but no discs yet, Blue Planet 2 is on the way. Planet Earth 2 in 4k is even more spectacular on Netflix than on BD. I really hate using arc, but it is necessary for using the 4k apps on the tv. I've got a 5.4.4 setup and have gotten a few atmos titles from Netflix streaming.
post #2888 of 2969 Old 03-22-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post

I'm off in 4k land now with an LG Oled and really enjoying the dv and hdr10 content that Netflix and Amazon provide.
I have an LG OLED as well...it's not 4k only 1080p but OMG what a difference...it's so nice to be able to watch dark scenes again and actually be able to make out what is going on. Without the screen being washed out.

Proud Owner of 55EG9100
post #2889 of 2969 Old 03-27-2018, 02:19 PM
T23

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone knows why ION is no longer in HD?

Pugilist in the sport of X-boxing, jump in.

Xbox GT= Terror Tricks
post #2890 of 2969 Old 04-21-2018, 04:02 PM

Looks like we might (all) be getting Green Light Internet sooner than we thought...
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.dem.../amp/538951002

Proud Owner of 55EG9100
post #2891 of 2969 Old 05-05-2018, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Looks like we might (all) be getting Green Light Internet sooner than we thought...
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.dem.../amp/538951002
Long time no see everyone. Yes, I placed my actual order and deposit down for Greenlight service in July, 2015 and sometime in the next several weeks I will finally have service from them. I live in one of the Webster districts where construction is now pending. Spectrum Internet has been great here ! But, even though their base service will be going to 200/10, I have my eyes set on 500/50 Greenlight.
post #2892 of 2969 Old 05-06-2018, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Couldn't Watch Fox Sports 1

Hello, This afternoon i was at my aunt's house for a birthday party and while i was there i tried putting on today's nascar race but when i put the dish network receiver on Fox Sports 1 i got the following error message

Quote:
Error 744
Attention: This program is not available for viewing in your area.
Select “OK” to go back, press the “Up” or “Down” arrow to change channels or select “Help” for more information.
Since nascar doesn't blackout any of there races and my aunt's tv package includes fox sports 1 does anybody have any idea why this message would appear. All of the other channels my aunt gets was working just fine so i'm wondering if dish is having any problems with fox sports 1 that i don't know about.
post #2893 of 2969 Old 05-11-2018, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPNASCAR24 View Post
Hello, This afternoon i was at my aunt's house for a birthday party and while i was there i tried putting on today's nascar race but when i put the dish network receiver on Fox Sports 1 i got the following error message

Since nascar doesn't blackout any of there races and my aunt's tv package includes fox sports 1 does anybody have any idea why this message would appear. All of the other channels my aunt gets was working just fine so i'm wondering if dish is having any problems with fox sports 1 that i don't know about.
was the race being played on local channels? That could be why it was blacked out on that channel. I had a similar issue a couple weeks ago when the yankees were on espn, and the game was blacked out. i didnt think the MLB blacked out games on ESPN so i was confused...i thought maybe someone messed up at Dish.

Proud Owner of 55EG9100
post #2894 of 2969 Old 05-12-2018, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
was the race being played on local channels? That could be why it was blacked out on that channel. I had a similar issue a couple weeks ago when the yankees were on espn, and the game was blacked out. i didnt think the MLB blacked out games on ESPN so i was confused...i thought maybe someone messed up at Dish.
That race wasn't on a local channel, it was only on Fox Sports 1. I was able to see the first 10 minutes of the race at home because my ride was late and Empire Access who provides my cable and internet never blacked out Fox Sports 1. A friend who has Spectrum told me he was able to see the race on Fox Sports 1. Another friend who has directv told me the same thing. Only Dish Blacked out Fox Sports 1.
post #2895 of 2969 Old 06-13-2018, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Anyone In The Area Using a Tablo?

I recently bid Spectrum's TV service farewell and put up an outdoor antenna here in Henrietta. I purchased a 4 tuner Tablo for DVR service. The Tablo works well, save for very bad pixelation on physical channel 10 (NBC), I'm 7 miles from the transmitter. Also tried at my sons house, 1 mile away from the transmitter. No change. I tried attenuating on the premise the signal might be too strong, no go. 2 different antenna's, both outdoors, no go. To account for the 4 way splitter in the Tablo, I bypassed the 8 way splitter and fed the Tablo direct from the antenna, both with and without amplification, still no change. The Tablo support folks have been great and they even sent me another unit which exhibits the exact same result, meaning pixelation occurs at the same point when recordings were made simultaneously on the two units. Makes me think their tuner design is lacking in some regard as the 3 different brand TV tuners in the house don't have an issue, plus a Hauppage USB tuner. My XBR 4 signal diagnostic shows a strong but varying signal ranging from 87 to 93/100, with a SNR of 31db and no errors after staring at it for 10 minutes. If I had to guess, I'd say it's a multipath issue that Tablo can't handle. Was wondering if anyone else in the area is using a Tablo and having issues with 10.
post #2896 of 2969 Old 06-18-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
That race wasn't on a local channel, it was only on Fox Sports 1. I was able to see the first 10 minutes of the race at home because my ride was late and Empire Access who provides my cable and internet never blacked out Fox Sports 1. A friend who has Spectrum told me he was able to see the race on Fox Sports 1. Another friend who has directv told me the same thing. Only Dish Blacked out Fox Sports 1.

yeah In the 4 years since i have had dish, i have experienced a few of these weird blackouts. I never before experienced a ESPN blackout until i got dish. I would feel the same if a blackout happened on F Sports 1. Especially since on dish you have to pay for the higher up package to get that channel. (or the sports pack) It seems like someone on Dish' end is messing up.

Proud Owner of 55EG9100
post #2897 of 2969 Old 06-18-2018, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
yeah In the 4 years since i have had dish, i have experienced a few of these weird blackouts. I never before experienced a ESPN blackout until i got dish. I would feel the same if a blackout happened on F Sports 1. Especially since on dish you have to pay for the higher up package to get that channel. (or the sports pack) It seems like someone on Dish' end is messing up.
It does look like somebody at dish is responsible for these weird blackouts. I really hope that dish makes these weird blackouts come to an end but i won't be surprised if they continue.
post #2898 of 2969 Old 08-06-2018, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
WXXI off the air for 3 days. Their website just apologizes for the outage. I wonder if they will change to 22 when they are back on ?
post #2899 of 2969 Old 11-07-2018, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member

I just found WHEC-DT, WHEC-DT3, WHAM-DT and WUHF-DT blacked out on all my tv's here in batavia. I called my tv provider which is empire access and they told me the FCC forced them to blackout these stations because only buffalo locals can be considered my true locals in batavia. If that's why i don't have these rochester locals then why do i still get WXXI, WROC, WHAM-DT2 aka Rochester CW, WHEC-DT2 and finally WROC-DT2. It's a little odd that they only blackout some of the channels coming from WHEC and WHAM. I don't know if the FCC forced Spectrum to do the same thing so if anybody in the batavia area who's a spectrum tv customer could let me know if there still getting NBC, ABC and Fox from rochester or not i'd appreciate it.

Also would appreciate it if somebody could help explain to me why the fcc forced empire access to blackout 4 of my rochester area local channels.
post #2900 of 2969 Old 01-09-2019, 03:10 PM

WPXJ 51 (physical channel 23) put an application in to move to WNYO's tower (physical & virtual channel 49) well west of their present location (no doubt to get greater coverage in WNY). WNYO put an application to move to Gilligan's Island, further pouting the RF from that far.

How well does ION they come in, in the Rochester market, especially in the city and east of?

MPNASCAR24;
As to which market the city of Batavia is in, I never really thought about it, but would presume it would be Buffalo. As to those sub channels, not knowing what services they are, I would say there isn't a conflict to this market.

Recording free OTA TV for 'time shifting' has been here since 1975. Will there be DVR's to do the same when ATSC3 obsoletes existing DVR's??
post #2901 of 2969 Old 01-10-2019, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Wouldn't this whole Batavia move be party due to the fact that ION is already on WHEC?
post #2902 of 2969 Old 01-10-2019, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYota1 View Post
Wouldn't this whole Batavia move be party due to the fact that ION is already on WHEC?
I've heard from a friend of my brother's that WHEC only shows ION in Standard Definition. WPXJ which shows ION and 5 other stations has it in HD. I would assume most of the people who do watch ION OTA in Rochester will prefer WPXJ over the feed coming from WHEC because HD looks better than SD.
post #2903 of 2969 Old 01-10-2019, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
I've heard from a friend of my brother's that WHEC only shows ION in Standard Definition. WPXJ which shows ION and 5 other stations has it in HD. I would assume most of the people who do watch ION OTA in Rochester will prefer WPXJ over the feed coming from WHEC because HD looks better than SD.

Hmmm....very foolish of me because I didn't notice that at the time. I have a friend in Rochester whom I should query about it. She only has an indoor antenna though, at ground level... and I'm over 90% certain she doesn't get ch. 51 (but I know she watches ION).
post #2904 of 2969 Old 01-11-2019, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYota1 View Post
You might have something there, but;

Quote:
WHEC only shows ION in Standard Definition. WPXJ which shows ION and 5 other stations has it in HD.
that kinds of cancels the more local coverage.

post #2905 of 2969 Old 01-11-2019, 06:09 AM

On a side note, when WPXJ picked up ION, the selection was far better than what they have now. So was the video quality by far. Way less smear and little black clipping (or crushing if you prefer).

post #2906 of 2969 Old 01-12-2019, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
How well does ION they come in, in the Rochester market, especially in the city and east of?

When I lived in North Greece on the Lake. Whenever I pulled in Ion I usually had a hard time getting most of the Rochester locals(its been 5 years since i moved) but i think i was able to pull in wxxi with ION. I would have to sacrifice Whec10, 13Wham, wroc8, wuhf-31 for ION during the day. But at night i sometimes could pull all of them in until sunrise. I was using a homemade coat hanger antenna at the time too with a amplifier.

Proud Owner of 55EG9100
post #2907 of 2969 Old 01-12-2019, 07:00 AM

Judging by that, outdoor/roof antennas should be more than fine. I wonder about the eastern suburbs?

Frankly, I'd wish they would return to their original format; movies with a high level of quality (sometimes too enhanced), not just running 'binge' episodes of the handful of TV series they are running now in 'smear' vision with blacks getting clipped/crushed. But, with all those mostly useless sub-channels, what would one expect?

post #2908 of 2969 Old 03-07-2019, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Rochester, NY: combining antenna signals

I have a Wineguard HD8200U and would like to add a second shorter range antenna for local channels while using the HD8200U for longer range . what would be the best way to combine the signals ? Should I combine them on the mast or further down the line ?
Id use a rotor but it gets awful windy around here and the Wineguard HD8200U is rather large .

Project Classic SB, Sumiko Amythest, Project DS Tube
Yamaha RX-A3050
Sony X800, Xbox one, HTPC
Sony 930 E
SVS Ultra Towers, SVS SB200, Polk center (need to replace), Paridigm studio 60v3
post #2909 of 2969 Old 03-07-2019, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 2418 Post(s)
Liked: 4664
Merged into Rochester thread.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #2910 of 2969 Old 03-07-2019, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1772 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsider View Post
I have a Wineguard HD8200U and would like to add a second shorter range antenna for local channels while using the HD8200U for longer range . what would be the best way to combine the signals ? Should I combine them on the mast or further down the line ?
Id use a rotor but it gets awful windy around here and the Wineguard HD8200U is rather large .
You can try it but combining antennas pointed in different directions is a dicey proposition. See this:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/25-hd...l#post56833878

The inexpensive TV rotors are not very good. Get a Yaesu G-450 rotor and you'll never have any problems.
Subsider likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page