Rochester, NY - HDTV - Page 98 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 28Likes

post #2911 of 2921 Old 03-10-2019, 09:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 903 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Lowest Loss solution with no Multipath or Antenna Pattern interaction problems would be separate Coax from each Antenna, with an A/B Switch to select, such as fol. rare product with R/C:
https://www.amazon.com/Radio-Shack-R.../dp/B000H50L9S.
fbov likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2912 of 2921 Old 03-11-2019, 05:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands View Post
Lowest Loss solution with no Multipath or Antenna Pattern interaction problems would be separate Coax from each Antenna, with an A/B Switch to select, such as fol. rare product with R/C:
https://www.amazon.com/Radio-Shack-R.../dp/B000H50L9S.
Ah yes, the ol' A/B switch. Good suggestion. These were common until the 1990's, when cable became the dominant way to receive television. Radio Shack still sold them into the 2010's, so there should be a number of them still around. If you don't want to deal with a rotor, an A/B switch with connections to two different antennas is almost as good.

Last edited by Brian in CT; 03-11-2019 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Typo
post #2913 of 2921 Old 04-08-2019, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Well the end is near (for ATSC DVR's TV's & tuners. The NAB last ditch effort to save OTA is on our doorsteps, supposedly by the end of the year. No details other than this;
https://www.tvtechnology.com/atsc3/atsc-3-0-to-be-deployed-in-40-u-s-markets-by-end-of-year

It involves all four NYS cities from the Capital to Buffalo. Since there really isn't anything to receive ATSC3 with AFAIK other than this as far as I could find doing a short search;
https://redzonereceiver.tv/shop/redzone-receiver-kit/,

Somehow I don't see many jumping in.
Quote:
Additional TV markets where stations have been identified for Next-Gen TV service (ranked by population) include:

Norfolk-Portsmouth-Newport News, VA
Oklahoma City, OK
Albuquerque - Santa Fe, NM
Grand Rapids - Kalamazoo, MI
Memphis, TN
Buffalo, NY
Providence - New Bedford, RI
Little Rock - Pine Bluff, AR
Mobile, AL - Pensacola, FL
Albany-Schenectady - Troy, NY
Flint-Saginaw - Bay City, MI
Omaha, NE
Charleston - Huntington, WV
Springfield, MO
Rochester, NY
Syracuse, NY
Chattanooga, TN
Charleston, SC
Burlington, VT - Plattsburgh, NY
Davenport, IA - Moline, IL
Santa Barbara, CA

“America’s broadcasters are on the cusp of a revolution in television,” said Gordon Smith, NAB president. “The many companies invested in TV broadcasting are committed to better television service for both our viewers and for our advertisers.
There was also good news for consumers as Michael Bergman, vice president of technology and standards for the Consumer Technology Association noted that ATSC 3.0-enabled sets and devices are expected to hit the market by 2020.
© 2019 TV Technology
I must of missed exactly where the "good news" is.

Recording free OTA TV for 'time shifting' has been here since 1975. Will there be DVR's to do the same when ATSC3 obsoletes existing DVR's??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2914 of 2921 Old 04-14-2019, 03:51 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
Well the end is near (for ATSC DVR's TV's & tuners. The NAB last ditch effort to save OTA is on our doorsteps, supposedly by the end of the year. No details other than this;
https://www.tvtechnology.com/atsc3/atsc-3-0-to-be-deployed-in-40-u-s-markets-by-end-of-year

It involves all four NYS cities from the Capital to Buffalo. Since there really isn't anything to receive ATSC3 with AFAIK other than this as far as I could find doing a short search;
https://redzonereceiver.tv/shop/redzone-receiver-kit/,

Somehow I don't see many jumping in.

I must of missed exactly where the "good news" is.

are you saying when they come out with atsc 3.0 every single one of my HDTV's wont work with a antenna anymore?

Proud Owner of 55EG9100
post #2915 of 2921 Old 04-14-2019, 06:27 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 324
No, nothing in that post stated any end time date,.
The stations apparently are required to carry ATSC 1, I believe 5 years after they start transmitting ATSC 3. I tried to find something specific on that but couldn't. Plenty of PR 'hype' and 100 page documents, but not something that 'cuts to the chase'.
shibez likes this.

Recording free OTA TV for 'time shifting' has been here since 1975. Will there be DVR's to do the same when ATSC3 obsoletes existing DVR's??

Last edited by videobruce; 04-14-2019 at 06:32 AM.
post #2916 of 2921 Old 05-15-2019, 10:12 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Anyone switch from a Time Warner plan to a Spectrum plan, and willing to answer questions?

Did you lose your rochester.rr.com e-mail addresses?
Did your DVR lose programs or otherwise get reset?
Anyone with the TWC Enhanced DVR switch to a Spectrum plan? Did you have to turn it in? I've heard Spectrum uses the older DVR's with 2 tuners and minimal disk space.
post #2917 of 2921 Old 05-16-2019, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI_Grenadier View Post
Anyone switch from a Time Warner plan to a Spectrum plan, and willing to answer questions?

Did you lose your rochester.rr.com e-mail addresses? No. rochester.rr.com email still active
Did your DVR lose programs or otherwise get reset? I had very old equipment and had to turn it in, so yes...
I have to swim against the tide and say that I think my situation got better all around when I switched over. My plan (silver) stayed about the same with only a few channels lost, and I gained a whole lot of internet speed...I was seeing 22-30 Mbps and started getting ~115 Mbps as soon as I changed over.
post #2918 of 2921 Old 05-16-2019, 08:55 AM

Yeah, I knew the speed would increase. I'm mostly concerned about the e-mail (thanks for that info) and losing the better DVR.
post #2919 of 2921 Old 05-21-2019, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Yeah, I knew the speed would increase. I'm mostly concerned about the e-mail (thanks for that info) and losing the better DVR.
The email address stays, I hate RR mail, it's 99% spam.

I have a tivo which worked great until last year when they made some kind of change. I'm going to be dropping cable and going ott service if they can't fix it. They have been to my house half a dozen times...

The speed boost is great and my bill went down by about $50, but I did lose a couple of channels.

You barely need a dvr now with all the streaming services you are entitled to with a cable subscription.
post #2920 of 2921 Old 05-21-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post
You barely need a dvr now with all the streaming services you are entitled to with a cable subscription.
Not if you still want to skip ads, or potentially save up shows for more than 4 episodes. Going to the network's web sites and streaming via TV Anywhere logins is not the same as having a DVR. Unless Spectrum has recently added free Netflix or similar service, I still see a need for a DVR.
post #2921 of 2921 Old 05-21-2019, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Not if you still want to skip ads, or potentially save up shows for more than 4 episodes. Going to the network's web sites and streaming via TV Anywhere logins is not the same as having a DVR. Unless Spectrum has recently added free Netflix or similar service, I still see a need for a DVR.
True and Tivo is supposedly adding automatic commercial skipping soon. At the moment, I have to hit the up channel or some other button.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page