Sacramento, CA - OTA - Page 376 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 377Likes

post #11251 of 11342 Old 05-27-2020, 05:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras View Post
Even if KCRA is weaker at his location, it's more likely it has to do with what is between his antenna and the transmitter (vegetation) than it is the KCRA antenna.
Nothing but sky (as I have said before, my 91XG is pointed upward above the trees and hills where multipath DOES NOT EXIST.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11252 of 11342 Old 05-27-2020, 06:01 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1899 Post(s)
Liked: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_signal View Post
upward above the trees and hills
Okay, now I can join the ranks of the confused. Why would your antenna be aimed upward? I was under the impression (possibly mistaken) you were at a high elevation overlooking the valley.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #11253 of 11342 Old 05-27-2020, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
Okay, now I can join the ranks of the confused. Why would your antenna be aimed upward? I was under the impression (possibly mistaken) you were at a high elevation overlooking the valley.

- Trip
After extensive antenna placement trials, I found my 91XG performed best at ground level with the antenna pointing upward at about 30 or 40 degrees or so. Signal reflected off the ground and reaching the 91XG perpendicular to the antenna also provides additional signal and boosts reception strength, demonstrated by blocking the side of the antenna from the ground with metal siding which cuts off the additional signal and reception. Signal paths curve in the atmosphere due to air temperature and density gradients which affect the speed of light resulting in faster and slower wave propagation speeds differing between the higher and lower portions of the wave, bending the wave and it's path. UHF signals transmitted upward from Walnut Grove towers roughly follow earth's curvature initially upward, then head downward and happen to arrive at my location from the sky. My antenna is at about 3200 ft. You don't aim your antenna straight downward to where you might visually see the tower. You aim your antenna along the path the signal travels to your antenna. Since the path resides above in the sky, there are no objects along the way to create multipath. And Chuck can't seem to accept that scientific reality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11254 of 11342 Old 05-27-2020, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1966 Post(s)
Liked: 486
Quote:
Nothing but sky (as I have said before, my 91XG is pointed upward above the trees and hills where multipath DOES NOT EXIST.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

- Trip

Because as he just posted, he believes the signals take a magical 45 degree downward bend. There's another post somewhere in the past (good luck finding it) where he told me his antennas are pointed 45 degrees up into the sky because that's where the signals are coming from. I don't know exactly what is happening, but I'm sure this is a complete misinterpretation of the situation.

So now we know there are trees and hills between him and the transmitters. All bets are off in this situation. Almost anything is possible. I think that when you don't have LOS it is common for one or two stations to be more problematic than all the others.

Chuck

Last edited by Calaveras; 05-27-2020 at 08:14 AM.
post #11255 of 11342 Old 05-27-2020, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rackerby View Post
I remember when this thread was actually useful.

This discussion may not be useful to you but it is useful and here's why. A lot of bad information and advice gets posted here on the forums. I've seen a lot of posts where someone new came along who had read bad advice and put up an antenna based on that and they had poor reception. If someone had countered the bad information in the original thread the new person might have seen it and changed their installation.

I only concern myself with the 3 markets I have first hand experience with; SF, Sacramento and Tucson.

Chuck
post #11256 of 11342 Old 05-27-2020, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
After extensive antenna placement trials, I found my 91XG performed best at ground level with the antenna pointing upward at about 30 or 40 degrees or so. Signal reflected off the ground and reaching the 91XG perpendicular to the antenna also provides additional signal and boosts reception strength, demonstrated by blocking the side of the antenna from the ground with metal siding which cuts off the additional signal and reception. Signal paths curve in the atmosphere due to air temperature and density gradients which affect the speed of light resulting in faster and slower wave propagation speeds differing between the higher and lower portions of the wave, bending the wave and it's path. UHF signals transmitted upward from Walnut Grove towers roughly follow earth's curvature initially upward, then head downward and happen to arrive at my location from the sky. My antenna is at about 3200 ft. You don't aim your antenna straight downward to where you might visually see the tower. You aim your antenna along the path the signal travels to your antenna. Since the path resides above in the sky, there are no objects along the way to create multipath. And Chuck can't seem to accept that scientific reality.

This is among the most bizarre theories I've ever heard. Does anyone actually believe that signals go up in the air and then get bent down 30-40 degrees? If that was true you'd be able to receive stations hundreds of miles away all the time. You can't. You'd be able to receive stations over mountains that had 10 degree horizons. You can't. Temperature inversions over large areas gently bend the signals increasing the distance they can be received. Diffraction over mountains is generally limited to <2 degrees and a fraction of a degree is best. You can see this in the terrain charts at TV Fool.

The most common cause of multipath is reflections off buildings and mountains. With indoor antennas it is off walls and furniture. There's also direct path multipath that happens when signals are broken up passing through vegetation. A good directional antenna can help with the first type but no antenna can fix the direct path multipath.

Signals reflecting off the ground perpendicular to the antenna and adding to the signal makes less sense the signals bending 30-40 degrees. Sliding a piece of metal under the antenna and preventing reception can just as well be interpreted as increased multipath. Without measuring the signal you have no idea what is going on.

Chuck
post #11257 of 11342 Old 05-28-2020, 10:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
KSPX seems back at some higher power level today
post #11258 of 11342 Old 05-28-2020, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline_ View Post
KSPX seems back at some higher power level today
Ditto! I now receive every mainstream Walnut Grove station EXCEPT for KCRA. I still would greatly appreciate a notification post from someone anytime KCRA is on backup antenna so I can finally verify their main antenna is the culprit behind the lack of reception at my location.

Thanx
post #11259 of 11342 Old 05-30-2020, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Your problem with VHF is that you don't have a VHF antenna. You have more than enough antenna for UHF. I'd replace it with a Winegard HD7694P. Should be plenty adequate since all your stations are line-of-sight. Try not to point into trees or buildings.

The VHF stations are engineered to have the same signal strength as the UHF stations assuming you have a VHF antenna.

Chuck
I ordered the antenna plus preamp. I plan to split it to 3 TVs.
Do I also need a distribution amplifier In addition to the preamp to split the signal 3 ways? Channel Master makes a 4 port DA, but they are out of stock. They only gave 8 port DAs ready to ship.
post #11260 of 11342 Old 05-31-2020, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by web1b View Post
I ordered the antenna plus preamp. I plan to split it to 3 TVs.
Do I also need a distribution amplifier In addition to the preamp to split the signal 3 ways? Channel Master makes a 4 port DA, but they are out of stock. They only gave 8 port DAs ready to ship.

I need more info. I need to see your Rabbitears report so I can see how strong your signals are. If you posted it before I can't find it. What preamp did you order? How long is the coax from the antenna to the most distant TV?

Chuck
post #11261 of 11342 Old 05-31-2020, 07:13 AM

Quote:
I need more info. I need to see your Rabbitears report so I can see how strong your signals are. If you posted it before I can't find it. What preamp did you order? How long is the coax from the antenna to the most distant TV?

Chuck
https://www.rabbitears.info/searchma...study_id=89831
Winegard LNA-200.
Probably 40 feet to the most distant TV.
post #11262 of 11342 Old 05-31-2020, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
https://www.rabbitears.info/searchma...study_id=89831
Winegard LNA-200.
Probably 40 feet to the most distant TV.

The Noise Margins for all the Walnut Grove stations are 50-60 dB. These are extremely strong signals. See my article about interpreting noise margins:

http://www.aa6g.org/DTV/Reception/tvfool_nm.html

Add 10 dB gain for the antenna and 15-20 dB for the preamp and you're in overload territory. I would not use a preamp. It'll likely do more harm than good.

Try a passive 4-way splitter. If you think that is not good enough then get a CM-3410 one port amp (in stock) and use the 4-way splitter with it. That's the same as a CM3414.

Chuck
post #11263 of 11342 Old 05-31-2020, 08:19 AM

Quote:
The Noise Margins for all the Walnut Grove stations are 50-60 dB. These are extremely strong signals. See my article about interpreting noise margins:

http://www.aa6g.org/DTV/Reception/tvfool_nm.html

Add 10 dB gain for the antenna and 15-20 dB for the preamp and you're in overload territory. I would not use a preamp. It'll likely do more harm than good.

Try a passive 4-way splitter. If you think that is not good enough then get a CM-3410 one port amp (in stock) and use the 4-way splitter with it. That's the same as a CM3414.

Chuck
So, you’re saying the signals seem strong enough for all channels including VHF to split 4 ways without a preamp or powered distribution amps? I’d also like to be able to pick up some of the Bay Area channels I have received from this location in the past (at least in the mornings).

If spitting the connections cuts the signal too much, what makes using the one port amp better than using the preamp?
post #11264 of 11342 Old 05-31-2020, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So, you’re saying the signals seem strong enough for all channels including VHF to split 4 ways without a preamp or powered distribution amps? I’d also like to be able to pick up some of the Bay Area channels I have received from this location in the past (at least in the mornings).

If spitting the connections cuts the signal too much, what makes using the one port amp better than using the preamp?

If you overload the preamp or the TV you won't receive anything from the Bay Area. You can't just ignore the strong signals and design a system to maximize the weakest signals. A better preamp than the LNA-200 for strong signal handling is the Antennas Direct Juice preamp but they all have their limits.

If your lowest Noise Margins are 50 db and let's say your antenna has 10 dB gain, that raises the Noise Margins to 60 dB. The coax has about 2 dB loss on UHF and a 4-way splitter 7 dB loss for a total of 9 dB loss. That reduces your Noise Margins back to around 50 dB. That is still a huge number considering 10-20 dB is usually the minimum recommended for reliable reception. You have 30 dB extra.

First priority is not overload your system. Second priority is to maximize for weak signals. The DA amp is sort of a halfway measure between a mast mounted preamp and no amp at all.

Another thing to remember is that most of the Bay Area stations will no longer be receivable in Sacramento. Most of the Bay Area channels are sharing channels with low power Sacramento stations now. The repack mostly put an end to out of market viewing.

Chuck
post #11265 of 11342 Old 05-31-2020, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Quote:
So, you&#226;€&#x2122;&#xfe0f;re saying the signals seem strong enough for all channels including VHF to split 4 ways without a preamp or powered distribution amps? I&#226;€&#x2122;&#xfe0f;d also like to be able to pick up some of the Bay Area channels I have received from this location in the past (at least in the mornings).

If you overload the preamp or the TV you won't receive anything from the Bay Area. You can't just ignore the strong signals and design a system to maximize the weakest signals. A better preamp than the LNA-200 for strong signal handling is the Antennas Direct Juice preamp but they all have their limits.

If your lowest Noise Margins are 50 db and let's say your antenna has 10 dB gain, that raises the Noise Margins to 60 dB. The coax has about 2 dB loss on UHF and a 4-way splitter 7 dB loss for a total of 9 dB loss. That reduces your Noise Margins back to around 50 dB. That is still a huge number considering 10-20 dB is usually the minimum recommended for reliable reception. You have 30 dB extra.

First priority is not overload your system. Second priority is to maximize for weak signals. The DA amp is sort of a halfway measure between a mast mounted preamp and no amp at all.

Another thing to remember is that most of the Bay Area stations will no longer be receivable in Sacramento. Most of the Bay Area channels are sharing channels with low power Sacramento stations now. The repack mostly put an end to out of market viewing.

Chuck
Ok, I will try it with no preamp and a passive splitter and see what happens. If I have strong signals through the splitter, I’ll return the preamp.
Do I need to order a terminator cap to cover the unused port on a 4 port splitter since I only have 3 connections?
post #11266 of 11342 Old 05-31-2020, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Do I need to order a terminator cap to cover the unused port on a 4 port splitter since I only have 3 connections?

It's not do or die but it's good practice.

Chuck
post #11267 of 11342 Old 05-31-2020, 12:13 PM

Aren’t some of the local stations lowering their transmission power? Do the rabbitears reports reflect that?

I’m still a bit skeptical about having very strong signals to every tv after splitting the signal 3 ways.

Quote:
Quote:
So, you&#226;€&#x2122;&#xfe0f;re saying the signals seem strong enough for all channels including VHF to split 4 ways without a preamp or powered distribution amps? I&#226;€&#x2122;&#xfe0f;d also like to be able to pick up some of the Bay Area channels I have received from this location in the past (at least in the mornings).

Chuck
post #11268 of 11342 Old 05-31-2020, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1899 Post(s)
Liked: 887
Quote:
Aren’t some of the local stations lowering their transmission power? Do the rabbitears reports reflect that?
Yes.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #11269 of 11342 Old 05-31-2020, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I’m still a bit skeptical about having very strong signals to every tv after splitting the signal 3 ways.

Rabbitears takes the transmitter power into account and it is always up to date. The only major Sacramento station that I see lowering its power is KQCA, going from 600KW to 425KW because they moved to a lower channel and they don't require as much power to equal their previous coverage. Still that's only 1.5 dB. How's KTXL? They're only running 100KW (10% power) right now while they complete their new transmitter.

You need to look at the math and the other info I gave you. If you have a noise margin of 50 dB, and you're antenna gain and coax/splitter loss cancel each other out, then you still have a noise margin of 50 dB. Look at my table in the link I gave you. A noise margin of 50 dB is near the top of the table. It's a HUGE signal. You really don't want stronger signals. Too much of a good thing really is a thing.

Look at my Rabbitears report:

https://www.rabbitears.info/searchma...study_id=11616

My "local" stations are 6-1 thru 14-1. They're labeled Poor and Bad. I receive them all pretty much 100%. I do have a preamp and a CM-3410 + 4-way splitter but I need them. I have no strong signals to worry about.

Chuck
post #11270 of 11342 Old 05-31-2020, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
I'm still having good luck with a good number of the Bay Area channels, especially the "major" ones, here at my Pocket-area location. Of course, it depends on conditions being favorable. Spectrum view of 500-600 Mhz attached, on a good night. This was taken with the antenna rotated towards SF, so the Sac stations are looking a little ratty. Although not pictured, was receiving similar signal strength on KRON, KGO, and KNTV. I may have better luck than some, as the low power stations here on shared channels are all against the back of my antenna (when pointing at SF). I can only receive two even when aimed directly at them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sac_SF_Spectrum.png
Views:	36
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	2735374  

Last edited by videojanitor; 05-31-2020 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Typo
post #11271 of 11342 Old 05-31-2020, 01:38 PM

KXTV is the main channel I watch regularly that I’m having unreliable signal with. The picture is fine 90% of the time, but I still lose the picture multiple times per day.
KXTL seems fine. I have never noticed that one going out.

Quote:
Quote:
Aren&#226;€&#x2122;&#xfe0f;t some of the local stations lowering their transmission power? Do the rabbitears reports reflect that?

I&#226;€&#x2122;&#xfe0f;m still a bit skeptical about having very strong signals to every tv after splitting the signal 3 ways.

Rabbitears takes the transmitter power into account and it is always up to date. The only major Sacramento station that I see lowering its power is KQCA, going from 600KW to 425KW because they moved to a lower channel and they don't require as much power to equal their previous coverage. Still that's only 1.5 dB. How's KTXL? They're only running 100KW (10% power) right now while they complete their new transmitter.

You need to look at the math and the other info I gave you. If you have a noise margin of 50 dB, and you're antenna gain and coax/splitter loss cancel each other out, then you still have a noise margin of 50 dB. Look at my table in the link I gave you. A noise margin of 50 dB is near the top of the table. It's a HUGE signal. You really don't want stronger signals. Too much of a good thing really is a thing.

Look at my Rabbitears report:

https://www.rabbitears.info/searchma...study_id=11616

My "local" stations are 6-1 thru 14-1. They're labeled Poor and Bad. I receive them all pretty much 100%. I do have a preamp and a CM-3410 + 4-way splitter but I need them. I have no strong signals to worry about.

Chuck
post #11272 of 11342 Old 05-31-2020, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
KXTV is the main channel I watch regularly that I’m having unreliable signal with. The picture is fine 90% of the time, but I still lose the picture multiple times per day.
KXTL seems fine. I have never noticed that one going out.

As I remember you're currently using a UHF antenna on VHF. That explains the poor reception of KXTV. Things should be better when you get the HD-7694P.

Chuck
post #11273 of 11342 Old 06-01-2020, 11:25 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Rabbitears takes the transmitter power into account and it is always up to date.

How's KTXL? They're only running 100KW (10% power) right now while they complete their new transmitter.

Chuck

Is KTXL (Fox 40) still on low power?

It is almost unwatchable now...hoping it is just temporary.

Does anyone know when they are supposed to have full power?

Thanks...!!!
post #11274 of 11342 Old 06-01-2020, 11:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOESMUD View Post
Is KTXL (Fox 40) still on low power? [...] Does anyone know when they are supposed to have full power?
Yes, still at 10%. Haven’t heard of a date when the new transmitter will be ready, but they’re working on it.
post #11275 of 11342 Old 06-02-2020, 06:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Is KTXL (Fox 40) still on low power?

It is almost unwatchable now...hoping it is just temporary.

Does anyone know when they are supposed to have full power?

Thanks...!!!

I don't know your exact location so I ran a generic Rabbitears report for the middle of Cameron Park.

https://www.rabbitears.info/searchma...study_id=96938

It shows KTXL with a noise margin of 50 dB, about 10 dB lower than the other major Walnut Grove UHF stations. (Rabbitears is using the reduced power.) That's still a very strong signal. Unless you happen to be in a poor location or have a poor indoor antenna there's no reason that KTXL shouldn't be received just fine.

Just because I'm curious about these things, I'd love to see your Rabbitears report and a brief description of your antenna.

Chuck
post #11276 of 11342 Old 06-02-2020, 04:38 PM

Quote:
I don't know your exact location so I ran a generic Rabbitears report for the middle of Cameron Park.

https://www.rabbitears.info/searchma...study_id=96938

It shows KTXL with a noise margin of 50 dB, about 10 dB lower than the other major Walnut Grove UHF stations. (Rabbitears is using the reduced power.) That's still a very strong signal. Unless you happen to be in a poor location or have a poor indoor antenna there's no reason that KTXL shouldn't be received just fine.

Just because I'm curious about these things, I'd love to see your Rabbitears report and a brief description of your antenna.

Chuck
Sorry...Rabbitears site was acting up for me last night when I posted.

Here is my location:

https://www.rabbitears.info/searchma...study_id=97176

Not nearly as good as the middle of Cameron Park.

I'm using an RCA 3037 with RCA preamp
post #11277 of 11342 Old 06-02-2020, 05:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sorry...Rabbitears site was acting up for me last night when I posted.

Here is my location:

https://www.rabbitears.info/searchma...study_id=97176

Not nearly as good as the middle of Cameron Park.
No kidding! You have a nasty hill not very far downrange. If KTXL is the only station you're having trouble with then you should consider yourself lucky. You're one of few that will benefit when they return to full power.

Quote:
I'm using an RCA 3037 with RCA preamp
That RCA antenna has elements for low VHF (RF channels 2-6). Are you watching any stations down there? The only low VHF station in your report is KCSO. If you're not watching KCSO then a large part of your antenna is wasted.

I wouldn't recommend such a small antenna for a location like yours but if it's working then okay.

Chuck
post #11278 of 11342 Old 06-02-2020, 06:21 PM

Quote:
No kidding! You have a nasty hill not very far downrange. If KTXL is the only station you're having trouble with then you should consider yourself lucky. You're one of few that will benefit when they return to full power.

That RCA antenna has elements for low VHF (RF channels 2-6). Are you watching any stations down there? The only low VHF station in your report is KCSO. If you're not watching KCSO then a large part of your antenna is wasted.

I wouldn't recommend such a small antenna for a location like yours but if it's working then okay.

Chuck
I am only using the smaller elements as I don't need low VHF.

I went to this antenna so that I could receive KXTV more reliably...and it has worked.

Since the repack, I'm having a few more dropouts on some of the channels...usually later at night.

KCRA has never been perfect, whereas KXTL was the strongest of the big 4 (NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX).

I will be trying to raise my setup another 5-feet or so and I'm hoping that it will help slightly (I ran a rabbitears report with 25' and 30' agl and this should get my signal above 20db for the big 4.
With this low of signal, every bit helps, right?

Years ago, I had an original CM4228 that was bulletproof for the UHF channels, but it got damaged and I decided to try other different antennas since I now needed VHF.

Would I benefit from a stronger or better preamp than the RCA? I tried the winegard, but it failed within a few weeks. I was considering the CM Titan 7777HD

Any other suggestions? I would like to try to have just one antenna that is capable of both if at all possible.

Thanks for the feedback !!!
post #11279 of 11342 Old 06-02-2020, 07:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I am only using the smaller elements as I don't need low VHF.

I went to this antenna so that I could receive KXTV more reliably...and it has worked.

Since the repack, I'm having a few more dropouts on some of the channels...usually later at night.

KCRA has never been perfect, whereas KXTL was the strongest of the big 4 (NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX).

I will be trying to raise my setup another 5-feet or so and I'm hoping that it will help slightly (I ran a rabbitears report with 25' and 30' agl and this should get my signal above 20db for the big 4.
With this low of signal, every bit helps, right?

Years ago, I had an original CM4228 that was bulletproof for the UHF channels, but it got damaged and I decided to try other different antennas since I now needed VHF.

Would I benefit from a stronger or better preamp than the RCA? I tried the winegard, but it failed within a few weeks. I was considering the CM Titan 7777HD

Any other suggestions? I would like to try to have just one antenna that is capable of both if at all possible.

Thanks for the feedback !!!

You should calculate the angle between your antenna and the hilltop your signals have to diffract over. Really you'd like that to be < 1 degree. That might make the antenna unreasonably high. Less than 1 degree diffraction usually works pretty well.

The lowest noise figure preamp is the Kitztech KT-200. It has enough gain for almost all applications.

In your location I'd try the Winegard HD7698P. Any more antenna than that will require separate antennas.

Chuck

Edit: I made some guesses in Google Earth and found the hill 3/4 miles down your path that the signals have to diffract over. It is about 1 degree. Unfortunately there's a second hill a little farther down the path that's about 60' higher. So you have a 2 edge path. I do think that the higher you can get your antenna the better off you'd be.

Last edited by Calaveras; 06-02-2020 at 08:12 PM.
post #11280 of 11342 Old 06-03-2020, 12:11 PM

Quote:
You should calculate the angle between your antenna and the hilltop your signals have to diffract over. Really you'd like that to be < 1 degree. That might make the antenna unreasonably high. Less than 1 degree diffraction usually works pretty well.

The lowest noise figure preamp is the Kitztech KT-200. It has enough gain for almost all applications.

In your location I'd try the Winegard HD7698P. Any more antenna than that will require separate antennas.

Chuck

Edit: I made some guesses in Google Earth and found the hill 3/4 miles down your path that the signals have to diffract over. It is about 1 degree. Unfortunately there's a second hill a little farther down the path that's about 60' higher. So you have a 2 edge path. I do think that the higher you can get your antenna the better off you'd be.
I have ordered the KT-200...I will stick with my current antenna for now, just to see what improvement the Kitztech makes.
(I ended up ordering the standard version as the cable length will be less than 20-feet from the antenna...hopefully that will not make a noticeable difference)

I think I can get another 5-feet of height by mounting it on my highest gable, albeit about 15-feet n/o my existing antenna location...so that may or may not be a factor.

Here is what my current signal strength is showing on one of my TVs now:

Ch 3.1 = 52 (signal strength according to the built in TV meter)
Ch 6.1 = 77
Ch 10.1 = 77
Ch 13.1 = 54
Ch 19.1 = 96
Ch 29.1 = 72
Ch 31.1 = 82
Ch 40.1 = 32
Ch 58.1 = 70
Ch 64.1 = 72

All in all, not too bad I think...Do I have drop outs, yes as the signal is almost non-existent.

I would like to improve KCRA 3.1 and KOVR 13.1 slightly if possible...

Looks like I should be ok if I am getting a signal strength of 32 for KTXL 40.1 when they are only at 10%. This should go up considerably when they go back to full power.

Edit:...forgot to add that I normally use an Amazon Fire Recast and the tuner section is not as sensitive and I think the signals drop a bit...which is the reasoning why I'd like to increase the signal as much as possible.

Last edited by JOESMUD; 06-03-2020 at 12:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page