Forum Jump: 
 32Likes

post #31 of 5949 Old 07-29-2004, 04:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
If you go to Antenna Web you can input your address and it'll tell you how far away you are from your local DTV stations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 5949 Old 08-02-2004, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey there.

I'm just about to move to New Glarus and I'm curious about what you guys think that I should be installing for an antenna. My wife is very opposed to having an antenna installed on the roof, even though she let me install one on the roof of the condo that we are currently living in. The antenna web site seems to indicate that we would need a "purple" antenna, and that would seem to be the Mack daddy of all antennas.

Anyone in New Glarus have any experience with this?

Thanks,

Glen
post #33 of 5949 Old 08-07-2004, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Seeing as though I am currently not able to lock in to the WB's digital signal out of Janesville, I was happy to find out that they are putting up a taller, more powerful tower.
http://www.wb57.com/community/index....ft=0&subpage=5

This news is made all the sweeter with the news of the WB's ramping up of it's HD programming.
https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=430506
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 5949 Old 08-20-2004, 09:57 AM

Hey all,

Just moved to the Madison area (between Mt. Horeb and Verona). Signed up for Dish HD (no cable available) and am completely disappointed with the quality of the SD programming. I am thinking about going the OTA route for local and using the Dish HD receiver for HD.

I am only 7 miles from the towers (one at 71 the other at 79), so I should be able to use good indoor antenna. We have a four room set-up, HD rec in the basement, dual in the living room (LR + upstairs BR), and single in workout room in the basement. I'd like to use only one antenna (ease of set up). The house was wired for large sat. + previous owner's Dish. However, the Dish installer could not figure out where the wires lead in the house so he just redid the install with wires everywhere (my complaining has got me no where with Dish).

Even if I wanted to do separate antenna's the problem is the big screen with HD is in the basement and I doubt an inside antenna will work down there.

I thought about hooking the interior antenna up to the coax in the living room and seeing if I got a signal down in the basement. Think that would work? I'd appreciate any thoughts or suggestions. I need to get my picture quality issues fixed before football starts.

Thanks.

Dan
post #35 of 5949 Old 08-20-2004, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Dan,

What TV are you using with the HD channels. My frind just received the HD package and i thought things looked good on his Mits RPTV. SD will always be subpar when compared to your HD channels? I even thought his locals channels with Dish looked good, better than is bad charter cable quality.

Dave
post #36 of 5949 Old 08-20-2004, 01:05 PM

Its a 50" Toshiba 4x3--about 2 years old. I can't remember the model off hand, something like 50h42 or 52. It supports 1080i and 480p. The problem I have is the edges of moving objects are pixelated (sp?) and not well defined. It really is only moving objects. Try to watch football is impossible because the outline of every player is surrounded by this shroud or blurriness. I had a Dish field supervisor out and he said he saw the problems I saw, but that it appeared normal. What's strange is that my HD is not too bad. Watched the Packers preseason on Monday and the picture was great. When I switched to SD to compare, I could watch the game the picture was so bad. I know my TV can produce a great SD picture because at my previous location I had analog cable and the picture was great. Even my smaller TV's (32" Toshiba and 13" Toshiba flat screen) have a much worse picture. NBC local comes in almost black and white.

I really don't want to pay $60/month (includes 4 rooms w/local channels and HD package) if I can't stand to watch sports.

A guy at work just got Dish with his 65" Mitsu and I am going to go to his place to see what it looks like. I may try switching to DirecTV, except I did not need to buy any equipment for Dish and with Direc it looks like you do.

Dan

Dan
post #37 of 5949 Old 08-23-2004, 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by cgengler
Seeing as though I am currently not able to lock in to the WB's digital signal out of Janesville, I was happy to find out that they are putting up a taller, more powerful tower.
http://www.wb57.com/community/index....ft=0&subpage=5

This news is made all the sweeter with the news of the WB's ramping up of it's HD programming.
https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=430506

WBUW (57) and WMTV (15) are sharing the new Forward Drive tower. 15 analog went live from the new tower on July 31, and WMTV-DT (19 or 15-1) switched on August 13th (just 3 hours before the Olympics). The antenna is 200 feet higher and effective radiated power jumped from 21 kilowatts to 56. Hopefully that helps HD reception for people who have been on the "edge."

WBUW-DT (32) should be making the move to the new tower sometime in September.

Unless you have one of the brand new 5th generation DTV receivers, my suggestion is to go with either an outside or attic antenna. The combination of indoor antennas and "older" receivers can be unpredictable. I believe the new set-top DTV/HDTV receivers that Wal-Mart is selling for under $200 are the 5th-generation types.

I'm biased, but the picture quality will *always* be better direct from your local broadcaster!! ...and it's FREE...

Tom Weeden
Chief Engineer, WMTV "NBC15"
Madison, WI
Amateur Radio WJ9H
Twitter: @WMTVtech
post #38 of 5949 Old 08-24-2004, 07:30 AM

I look forward to DXing your stations from south of Chicago, Tom!

Quote:

I'm biased, but the picture quality will *always* be better direct from your local broadcaster!! ...and it's FREE...

Well said!
post #39 of 5949 Old 08-24-2004, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for posting to the thread Tom!

Changing topics...this is the latest response from Fox 47's Kerry Maki regarding their HD pass-thru equipment.

Hi Chad,
>
> Don't hold your breathe that we'll be up and running for the first
> Packer game. I haven't seen anymore equipment come in the front door.
> There is an encouraging sign. Each week I have to update my Regional
> Engineering Manager on the HD Pass-through progress. This does show
> that corporate is interested in getting the pass-through project
> completed asap.
>
> Kerry Maki
post #40 of 5949 Old 08-25-2004, 09:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by N47H4N
I live on the Madison East side near hwy 51 and 30.

What antenna's have the good folks of the Madison area found to be the most successful at picking up Madison/Central WI DTV stations?

I already had a VHF/UHF set top rabbit ear, amplified radio shack antenna. I can get almost all the stations (at times) with constant antenna tweaking except WMSN fox DTV which I don't get at all.

Does anybody have any antenna suggestions (as inexpensive as possible)?
I could fairly easily put something in my second story attic, but not outdoors.

Hope y'all don't mind if I poke my head in for a minute on my old stomping grounds (Madison '68 - '78). Assuming EM propagation works the same as it does here in Seattle then I will tell you what we have found over the last couple years in our thread. For indoor the best deals are the Radio Shack double-bowtie 930-0998 for $15 and the Zenith Silver Sensor (~$30). The RS unit requires a little work to add a balun to convert it to coax. Sears reportedly carries the Silver Sensor at some stores.

As for outdoors or attic mounting the most popular line is Channel Master. For 0-30 miles the CM 4221 is a good buy. For 30-60 miles the CM 4228 and 4248 are the best. There are lots of other good antennas but these seem to be the favorites. If you need more than 60 miles then you are looking at putting up a mast or tower with one of those $100 monsters on it. Height really makes a difference in most areas. If you have long cable runs then consider a preamp at the antenna end such as the CM7777.

Avoid the gimmicky and multidirectiona antennas like the plague. The only one that has shown promise is the Winegard SquareShooter but it is $100.

Hi to all my long lost friends in Mad City (or whatever the current nickname is).

I've run out of witty sayings...
post #41 of 5949 Old 09-03-2004, 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by N47H4N
I live on the Madison East side near hwy 51 and 30.

What antenna's have the good folks of the Madison area found to be the most successful at picking up Madison/Central WI DTV stations?

I already had a VHF/UHF set top rabbit ear, amplified radio shack antenna. I can get almost all the stations (at times) with constant antenna tweaking except WMSN fox DTV which I don't get at all.

Does anybody have any antenna suggestions (as inexpensive as possible)?
I could fairly easily put something in my second story attic, but not outdoors.

I'm very close to your location. I just got setup with my new theater in August. I have D* with HD package. I added a Terk 44 to the dish and use that for my OTA's. From where we are both towers are very close together(for me within 3 degrees of each other per antenna web). All the locals come in very strong (with the exception of WBUW, which hasn't started up on the new tower yet). Many people have had very mixed results with the Terks, but in my opinion, their simplicity and low impact appearance make it worth a try. I picked mine up locally in case it didn't work out. Good luck.

Very dissappointed that the Packers will only be SD for awhile. I've gotten so spoiled, after a month, I can barely stand to watch anything in SD.

Steve
post #42 of 5949 Old 09-04-2004, 04:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Very dissappointed that the Packers will only be SD for awhile. I've gotten so spoiled, after a month, I can barely stand to watch anything in SD.

Have you received confirmation of this, or are you just being pessimistic?
post #43 of 5949 Old 09-04-2004, 08:30 PM
Advanced Member

Well, I don't think we have heard any positive news about Fox47's splicer installation. The most definitive thing I've heard has been, "By the end of the year..."
post #44 of 5949 Old 09-07-2004, 09:16 AM

cgengler,
I was basing my pessemism on your posts of K Maki's emails. It sure doesn't sound like they'll be up in the near future. I was going to attempt to contact the station myself. But, after finding your posts here, I decided not to bother. Since you already seem to have at least a trickle of info, I'd hate to keep nagging him until he doesn't want to talk to anybody.

Maybe they'll surprise us and make something happen by months end, but I'm sure not going to hold my breath.

Will the games be blacked out on D* Sunday Ticket? Maybe I could get them that way instead of waiting for WMSN?

It's amazing how fast I got spoiled by HD. Badger game looked great on ESPNHD. My first time in almost 20 years I don't have season tickets - hopefully HD will get me through.

Steve
post #45 of 5949 Old 09-08-2004, 03:00 PM

Bad news.... Ijust got this email from WMSN...

"We are still awaiting some equipment from FOX and will then need to install
it. We currently do not have a time frame as to when this will occur,
hopefully soon!

Thanks,

WMSN-TV"

Not all equipment, no timeframe. These guys are killin' me. Packers in SD on my 92" screen? No friggin' way!

It's kind of annoying that Fox Network trumpets about how they're gonna play so many games in HD, then not have all the affiliates up with the equipment in time. Truth in advertising my butt.

Steve
post #46 of 5949 Old 09-08-2004, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member

I just got a glossy advertisement in the mail (and have seen comercial for it) and on the back was an anouncement that the packers and Fox footbal would be in HDTV this fall.

The small print mentioned that you needed an HDTV and an OTA receiver. Apparently they forgot the part about the station actually having the parts and broadcasting the signal.

I'm not bitter or anyting.

Does anyone know if there is a chance of picking an OTA signal from anywhere else? I know Milwaukee is broadcasting 720p as is Green Bay, but i don't think the signal is nearly strong enough. Occasionally I can pick up the Fox 6 SD signal (fuzzily from Milwaukee), are they boosting the HD signal as well?

HELP, I need football in HD!

Quote:

Originally posted by sailworkless
Bad news.... Ijust got this email from WMSN...

"We are still awaiting some equipment from FOX and will then need to install
it. We currently do not have a time frame as to when this will occur,
hopefully soon!

Thanks,

WMSN-TV"

Not all equipment, no timeframe. These guys are killin' me. Packers in SD on my 92" screen? No friggin' way!

It's kind of annoying that Fox Network trumpets about how they're gonna play so many games in HD, then not have all the affiliates up with the equipment in time. Truth in advertising my butt.

Steve

post #47 of 5949 Old 09-09-2004, 04:21 AM - Thread Starter

Yea, I got the advertisement too. It says "The NFL in HDTV Sundays this Fall on Fox". Unfortunately, "this Fall" can mean anytime up until Dec. 20!
post #48 of 5949 Old 09-10-2004, 07:31 AM

I just got that ad in the mail yesterday. It really ticks me off how this is handled. "We have this great new product - you can't have it" I get more and more bummed as I think about this.

The whole concept of pumping a new product so hard, when your affiliates can't deliver it, just makes me really mad.

I'm not impatient - I just want my HDTV NOW!!!

Steve
post #49 of 5949 Old 09-10-2004, 07:33 AM

A question...

Is NBC broadcasting any of their Notre Dame games in HD? I can't find any decent programming info for them. I have a friend who'd go nuts for ND in HD.

Thanks,
Steve
post #50 of 5949 Old 09-11-2004, 12:05 AM
Advanced Member

Highly, highly doubtful. The HDTV Programming forum would better answer your question, however.
post #51 of 5949 Old 09-11-2004, 07:09 PM

Quote:

A question...

Is NBC broadcasting any of their Notre Dame games in HD? I can't find any decent programming info for them. I have a friend who'd go nuts for ND in HD.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve: NBC hasn't given us any indication that Notre Dame games will be offered in HD, sorry.

Tom Weeden
Chief Engineer, WMTV "NBC15"
Madison, WI
Amateur Radio WJ9H
Twitter: @WMTVtech
post #52 of 5949 Old 09-13-2004, 09:08 AM

Thanks Tom! It's nice to get info directly from the source once in awhile. Maybe NBC decided they finally spent enough money on Notre Dame!

I will say, though, the SD ND-Mich game on NBC sure looked better than any of the ABC SD games I watched. Picked up both OTA from the DT signal, but your's sure looks better.

Thanks again,
Steve
post #53 of 5949 Old 09-16-2004, 03:52 PM

Hey all--

I need to install an OTA because my Dish SD reception is awful (to the point of not being able to watch football). Although I am only 7 miles from the towers, will likely need an outdoor antenna because I in a slight "hole". In addition, the big screen with the HD receiver is in the basement and I will need to have some wiring done. I am not handy and don't have the time. I am looking for recommendations for an antenna, a place to get it, and someone to do the installation. Any ideas?

Appreciate any info you can provide.
post #54 of 5949 Old 09-16-2004, 07:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Tom Weeden

WBUW-DT (32) should be making the move to the new tower sometime in September.

I am in Cottage Grove, and I am now receiving WBUW-DT (its on 57 by my built in OTA receiver--Sanyo HT32744).

It appears to be broadcasting Digital Standard Definition (704x480i), and it has a volume problem. ITS REALLY LOUD!

Curious if they are going to pass along the HD signal anytime soon. I will send an email to the engineers, and see if the know. I will pass along any info I find out.

The FOX47 website (above the DTV link) says it was updated 9-14, but when you go to the page, it hasn't. Same information as earlier in august.

Can't wait for football!
post #55 of 5949 Old 09-17-2004, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by rileybrody
Hey all--

I need to install an OTA because my Dish SD reception is awful (to the point of not being able to watch football). Although I am only 7 miles from the towers, will likely need an outdoor antenna because I in a slight "hole". In addition, the big screen with the HD receiver is in the basement and I will need to have some wiring done. I am not handy and don't have the time. I am looking for recommendations for an antenna, a place to get it, and someone to do the installation. Any ideas?

Appreciate any info you can provide.

I had a big 'ol uhf/vhf channel master (forgot the model #) installed by Chase TV and Satellite from Sun Prairie. I had them run wiring to one system in my basement and another in my living room. I'm about 20 miles from the towers and get perfect reception of digital nbc, cbs, abc, fox, pbs, upn and wb
post #56 of 5949 Old 09-17-2004, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by sterno3
I am in Cottage Grove, and I am now receiving WBUW-DT (its on 57 by my built in OTA receiver--Sanyo HT32744).

It appears to be broadcasting Digital Standard Definition (704x480i), and it has a volume problem. ITS REALLY LOUD!

Curious if they are going to pass along the HD signal anytime soon. I will send an email to the engineers, and see if the know. I will pass along any info I find out.

The FOX47 website (above the DTV link) says it was updated 9-14, but when you go to the page, it hasn't. Same information as earlier in august.

Can't wait for football!

I get wb-dt as well, now that the new tower is up. I haven't watched it enough to notice any volume issues.

As for the fox 47 update, I noticed the 9-14 update as well. I sent them an e-mail asking if there is indeed a status update and this was their reply:

"Pretty much where we've been before, although we have gotten a lot of the equipment so far and are getting that installed so when the rest arrives, we can get it online faster"

At least they've received more equipment. I definitely wouldn't hold my breath for this Sunday's game though.
post #57 of 5949 Old 09-17-2004, 08:09 AM

Riley,

I'm about 9 miles from the towers. For OTA, I use a Terk 44 that is clipped onto my dish. It plugs into the multiswitch on my dish, and comes with the diplexers to re split the signal at the point of use. No extra wires to run, works great. I know these Terks are kind of hit and miss for whether or not they work, but for simplicity and low profile, might be worth a try.

If your Dish antenna has a built in multi switch (mine is D*) this is truly a simple DIY - no aiming or extra wire to pull.

Steve
post #58 of 5949 Old 09-17-2004, 08:11 AM

Silly question...

What channel is WB-DT broadcasting on? I thought it was supposed to be 32 (per antenna web) but it definitely isn't there as of last night for me. Are you getting it as 57-1 or what?

Thanks,
Steve
post #59 of 5949 Old 09-17-2004, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Silly question...

What channel is WB-DT broadcasting on? I thought it was supposed to be 32 (per antenna web) but it definitely isn't there as of last night for me. Are you getting it as 57-1 or what?

Thanks,
Steve

yep 57-1
post #60 of 5949 Old 09-17-2004, 12:20 PM

Any idea who we can bug to get WBUW-DT programming information added to zap2it.com/DirecTV's guides? It's killing me not having the guide data on my TiVo!

I sent an email to [email protected] a couple weeks ago with no response. That seems like a generic e-mail, but I haven't found any others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page