Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 5966 Old 10-10-2004, 01:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Matt,

Today's Vikings / Texans game isn't coming through in HD, just an SD upconvert. They frequently state that it's being broadcast in 720p HD. Still getting the kinks worked out?

Thanks,
John
post #123 of 5966 Old 10-10-2004, 03:37 PM

Yah, second game in sd also not HD )o:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 5966 Old 10-10-2004, 04:39 PM

I agree with everyone else, pillarbox

Strangers have the BEST candy
post #125 of 5966 Old 10-11-2004, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Trying to figure out what went wrong, everything is a-okay on this end, we're thinking FOX didn't have us in their settings to switch us to HD.

There was part of the first football game that wouldn't have been in HD due to Sun-Transit interference. Does anyone know if tonight's game is supposed to be in HD? I'm going to stay late to see if everything switches properly.

Maybe we'll get pillarbox turned on for you folks. Any preference of a sidebar color? hehe I think bright red would be great!
post #126 of 5966 Old 10-11-2004, 09:48 AM

are you talking about the ABC game?

Strangers have the BEST candy
post #127 of 5966 Old 10-11-2004, 10:10 AM

No, the FOX baseball game, Houston at Atlanta. FOX isn't very vocal about what is in HD, I figure someone here might know where to look. C'mon, if we get this HD working tonight, you can watch an hour of Baseball before the Packer game comes on!
post #128 of 5966 Old 10-11-2004, 10:14 AM

My understanding is that tonight would be 480p widescreen upconverted to 720p. Tomorrow's Yankees/Red Sox ALCS game is supposed to be the first true 720p game.
post #129 of 5966 Old 10-11-2004, 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by mattymo
Trying to figure out what went wrong, everything is a-okay on this end, we're thinking FOX didn't have us in their settings to switch us to HD.

There was part of the first football game that wouldn't have been in HD due to Sun-Transit interference. Does anyone know if tonight's game is supposed to be in HD? I'm going to stay late to see if everything switches properly.

Maybe we'll get pillarbox turned on for you folks. Any preference of a sidebar color? hehe I think bright red would be great!

I believe the first Fox HD baseball game will be the Yankees / Boston game tomorrow night.

Oh, and just a plain old grey on the sides please!

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

John
post #130 of 5966 Old 10-11-2004, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I personally prefer back side bars.
post #131 of 5966 Old 10-11-2004, 11:43 AM
krc

This time I don't agree with John. I think pillarbox is much better in black. The Toshiba DLP does gray pillarbox for 4:3 material and it's very distracting. The Mits does black and it's less obtrusive.

Ken
post #132 of 5966 Old 10-11-2004, 11:48 AM

To voice the minority opinion - I would prefer the 4x3 material to be streched. I'd prefer not to burn in either the sidebar material or the line between the sidebar and the picture. If I really want regular aspect ratio, I can choose amongst display modes with the remote on my TV. When you broadcast the pillarbox, I'm locked in to the static sidebars sitting somewhere onscreen.

For movies, I'm definitely in favor of OAR. But any 16x9 display is going to give you display mode choices to get 4x3 streched material to look the way you want. If you go pillarbox, someone will still be unhappy (witness the black vs. gray preferences above). There - now you can flame me.
post #133 of 5966 Old 10-11-2004, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
No flame, but is burn in a serious consideration? How much SD material would you be watching on Fox47? I have heard CRT's really don't even need to worry about it anyhow (if you have a CRT).
I voted for pillar box, but I would vote black as well (I have a 4:3 so it would match the black from the letter box--making it a postage stamp). I would most likely be watching in zoom (so I wouldn't see the pillar or the letterbox), so I am not adament, but black gives a better contrast from the 'outside' world.

Anyway, i heard the LCS's is going to be the first airing of Baseball in HD on Fox (so tomorrow sox vs. yanks would be the one). We will be able to see if the splicer is working tonite though, because it will be widescreen not 4:3 stretched.

Correct me if I am wrong, but you can also tell if the HD is being passed correctly if there is a Fox 'bug' in the lower right of the broadcast. After reading some FOX threads, it sounds like corporate insert the right logo into the transmission each the affiliate gets.

On a side note, i might be wrong, but I was up late on saturday night, and I believe I saw WWE Bottom line in HD. The bug was in, and the reception was pretty clear. I don't watch WWE, but I thought it was interesting that it looked hd, yet 12 hours later Football wasn't.
o well.

Quote:

Originally posted by arock
To voice the minority opinion - I would prefer the 4x3 material to be streched. I'd prefer not to burn in either the sidebar material or the line between the sidebar and the picture. If I really want regular aspect ratio, I can choose amongst display modes with the remote on my TV. When you broadcast the pillarbox, I'm locked in to the static sidebars sitting somewhere onscreen.

For movies, I'm definitely in favor of OAR. But any 16x9 display is going to give you display mode choices to get 4x3 streched material to look the way you want. If you go pillarbox, someone will still be unhappy (witness the black vs. gray preferences above). There - now you can flame me.

post #134 of 5966 Old 10-11-2004, 12:39 PM

WWE was not in HD. We don't have any local equipment that can air HD. Our playback decks, switching and routing equipment are all analog NTSC. Our programming primarily plays back from DVC Pro, but gets switched analog. WWE was aired from Betacam SP this week and the last few weeks because they send us a tape that has local information in it for when WWE comes to town. Other than that, the only HD you will ever get for a while will come through the Splicer from FOX. All other shows will be SD and pillar boxed, as I'm going to turn it on now. (It'll be a dark grey)

The FOX bug in network through the splicer will be a dark grey color and smaller version of our normal "FOX 47" bug. The grey-ish see-thru bug is generated locally in our analog signal.

According to FOX and our other engineers here, everything was correct for us to have been in HD over the weekend. It's a mystery why it wasn't working! But i'll be here around 7 tonight to see if the widescreen stuff passes through the splicer!

Does anyone want to buy me a 16:9 tv?
post #135 of 5966 Old 10-11-2004, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Fair enough...I thought the feed might be coming through the splicer. it was late i guess maybe I just wanted to see hd.

Good luck tonight, we will be watching (before the pack and on commercial breaks--obviously).

By the way if you are looking for an entry level HD, i can personally recommend the Sanyo HT32744 sold exclusively at Walmart. (It also has a 16:9 brother) Built in HD receiver, Picture and Picture, HDMI, and optical out. I bought it for $747 in May, but I heard it is down to $697 at most Walmarts. Here is a thread for reference (you may want to check the original thread that was locked, it had lots of good info as well):

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=435721

Quote:

WWE was not in HD. We don't have any local equipment that can air HD. Our playback decks, switching and routing equipment are all analog NTSC. Our programming primarily plays back from DVC Pro, but gets switched analog. WWE was aired from Betacam SP this week and the last few weeks because they send us a tape that has local information in it for when WWE comes to town. Other than that, the only HD you will ever get for a while will come through the Splicer from FOX. All other shows will be SD and pillar boxed, as I'm going to turn it on now. (It'll be a dark grey)

The FOX bug in network through the splicer will be a dark grey color and smaller version of our normal "FOX 47" bug. The grey-ish see-thru bug is generated locally in our analog signal.

According to FOX and our other engineers here, everything was correct for us to have been in HD over the weekend. It's a mystery why it wasn't working! But i'll be here around 7 tonight to see if the widescreen stuff passes through the splicer!

Does anyone want to buy me a 16:9 tv?

post #136 of 5966 Old 10-11-2004, 01:15 PM

Pillarbox on, I'm aligning the mask (so there's not a big black stripe between the video and the pillar) right now, so I have some yellowey beige color up.
post #137 of 5966 Old 10-11-2004, 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by krc
This time I don't agree with John. I think pillarbox is much better in black. The Toshiba DLP does gray pillarbox for 4:3 material and it's very distracting. The Mits does black and it's less obtrusive.

Ken

In truth, either black or grey is fine with me. You're right Ken, black is less distracting and I can't imagine watching enough SD Fox for burn-in to become a problem. It's really only a potential issue for sports bars and such which may show the same channel all day, every day. So it's more of an issue with a sports channel like ESPN.

John
post #138 of 5966 Old 10-11-2004, 01:25 PM

Quote:

Pillarbox on, I'm aligning the mask (so there's not a big black stripe between the video and the pillar) right now, so I have some yellowey beige color up.

Great! Matt, let us know if you need some real-time feedback (IM or phone) from one of us out in the field to help you tweak and debug.

Thanks,
John
post #139 of 5966 Old 10-11-2004, 01:36 PM

acutally real time feedback might be a good idea, as we don't have a true 16x9 monitor here. We have a few vga monitors and OTA recievers in standard def tvs... so, um, shoot an email to the engineering dropdown on the feedback from fox47.com (i check that, and I'll reply with a number you can call)

-matt
post #140 of 5966 Old 10-11-2004, 06:34 PM

Everything here looks good, Splicer was ready and switched to FOX widescreen as it should have. FOX may have not really had us in their info to switch over the weekend, but, everything is working now, and it damn well better work from now on!

It appears that the game is just in "FOX Widescreen" , but it shouldn't matter as it's coming as a 720P signal from fox.

-matt
post #141 of 5966 Old 10-11-2004, 08:30 PM

Matt, the 480p widescreen upconvert to 720p is coming through just fine tonight. Certainly a big improvement from SD, especially in terms of color accuracy. Great work!

John
post #142 of 5966 Old 10-11-2004, 09:03 PM

Agreed - the widescreen looks great. Can't wait to see the 720p baseball tomorrow!
post #143 of 5966 Old 10-12-2004, 10:41 PM

Wow, the ALCS game 1 was spectacular Matt. Gorgeous 720p, great 5.1 sound, and it even turned out to be great game!

Thanks again for your efforts.

John
post #144 of 5966 Old 10-13-2004, 07:01 AM

Who would have thought a year ago that Fox would be the one to deliver the first ever HD playoff baseball game? I would like to congratulate both Fox corporate and our local WMSN affiliate for delivering a spectacular game last night.
post #145 of 5966 Old 10-13-2004, 10:30 AM

Anybody know which game we'll get tonight?
post #146 of 5966 Old 10-13-2004, 12:30 PM

It's the Yankees / Red Sox game again.
post #147 of 5966 Old 10-13-2004, 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by arock
Who would have thought a year ago that Fox would be the one to deliver the first ever HD playoff baseball game? I would like to congratulate both Fox corporate and our local WMSN affiliate for delivering a spectacular game last night.

I agree. It looked great, sounded great. Kudos to Fox 47-Madison. Keep the HD coming (o:
post #148 of 5966 Old 10-13-2004, 05:41 PM

Wow, I just got a SquareShooter antenna; check out these signal strength numbers, as measured on my HD-TiVo:

Code:
Freq    Channel Net     Before  After
====    ======= ===     ======  =====
11      47.1    FOX     80ish   95
20      21.1    PBS     30-50   92ish
26      27.1    ABC     70ish   90
50      3.1     CBS     70ish   92ish
32      57.1    WB      0       80
19      15.1    NBC     0       75
Needless to say, I'm pretty happy!!
post #149 of 5966 Old 10-13-2004, 05:56 PM

Stupid Question but.....My Dad just built a new house near Oregon. Antennaweb.org says he will need a "yellow" antenna" for OTA. Getting him D* but don't want to go to them for HD just yet. Reading the posts about FOX (Great news!) and was set on a UHF antenna. I saw the post about VHF and am confused (happens alot :-) Does anyone know if I need to get an OTA antenna that is UHF/VHF or will VHF work? Was initially planning on the ChannelMaster 4221. Thanks for any advice!
post #150 of 5966 Old 10-13-2004, 06:16 PM

bobr - there are no stupid questions. VHF are the channels below 13, UHF is 14 to 69. Looking at elsolow's reception chart above in the Freq column, you can see that all digital channels except for Fox (WMSN-DT) broadcast in the UHF range. But Fox does broadcast on VHF 11, so you would need UHF and VHF reception to pick up all Madison-local digital stations. Since the 4221 is a UHF-only antenna, you would not receive WMSN-DT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page