70Likes

post #3391 of 3455 Old 07-13-2018, 08:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
That depends on if she plans to keep watching TV when the power goes out. Do you have a whole-house generator? If so, you only need enough to handle everything until it kicks in. Just about anything you get should be good for thirty seconds.

If you don't have a generator, you might need a beefier UPS if you plan to keep watching something hoping the power is only out a few minutes.

Here in FL, I have smaller Tripp Lites where it's just a TV and a DirecTV receiver. That's mostly out of the frustration of waiting five minutes for the DirecTV receiver to reboot every time there's a glitch. If the power goes completely out and stays there, I'll turn the television off to preserve battery for the DirecTV receiver or until I can get the generator started and plugged in.

I have much larger UPSs in my equipment closet to keep the HTPC, router and antenna preamps going so DVR recordings aren't lost. This setup runs for up to an hour (I don't have a whole-house generator at my Tampa place). I need to get a small one for the cable modem (which I own). At both my Michigan and Florida homes, the cable keeps going during ordinary power outages. Car-hits-pole notwithstanding.

If the cable internet goes down, we generally use our phones as hotspots.
Whole house generator is a next year install, we just moved in (February). I have UPS for my big mama desktop, looking for smaller one for Modem, Router, Cable Box, TV & Blueray.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3392 of 3455 Old 07-13-2018, 11:09 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Talking Size does matter....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Tintera View Post
Whole house generator is a next year install, we just moved in (February). I have UPS for my big mama desktop, looking for smaller one for Modem, Router, Cable Box, TV & Blueray.
Modem, router, smaller desktop, monitor on a 500W Smart UPS.

Another 500W smart ups runs the 50", 2 iViews, Android TV Box, VCR/DVD, DVD, and some smaller electronic loads.

2 more 500W handle critical PC duties

I've got a 750W that is going back in service as soon as batteries arrive, and 2 more small 300W ones to take care of some other stuff in my "lab"

Another 500W handles 50", android box, and some small loads...

I only need things to run the 5 minutes it takes for the gen set to kick in.

Also if you get a Generac be sure you don't get snookered for the $300 monitoring gadget, when $50 with a Pi, and some wiring and few accessories will get you more and better gen monitoring. Unfortunately mine is older and the controller doesn't work with the software, sigghh...

If I had the space and could get a deal, I'd put in a whole house UPS but they are a little pricey. The electronics stuff is the most important to protect from the normal spike/surges etc. of daily grid power, and then to keep online till gen set kicks in. Just today, a minor little storm with some lighting, thunder and rain, was good for about 3-4 "trips" of the UPS(s) in quick succession. Stuff connected to that directly would most likely be dead now. I figure I've save the cost of the the stuff, $$$$$ a 100x+ over. And batteries every 2-3 years is cheap compared to that price tag.

Size will be based on how long you want to run things, with no genset right now, then I think I would be looking at hack'en UPS by connecting larger deep cycle batteries to the UPS and/or solar standby with battery storage.

Notice: I no longer provide assistance in re OTA antenna and RF related queries.
post #3393 of 3455 Old 07-14-2018, 03:38 AM

We have had a whole house Surge Protector put on the meter by SECO. One of the first things we did. I also have UPS on my big desktop and local surge protectors on 2 laptops. Can't seem to buy power strips without Surge protectors but I'm working on that.
Still sorting out where "stuff" goes, after move in February, but that's another story. I will look for 500w UPS.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3394 of 3455 Old 07-17-2018, 05:06 AM

One other question.
During a short power outage does the Spectrum signal go completely out? Or just interrupted?
post #3395 of 3455 Old 07-17-2018, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 2383 Post(s)
Liked: 4568
Quote:
One other question.
During a short power outage does the Spectrum signal go completely out? Or just interrupted?
That depends on the size and cause of the outage and the way your neighborhood is wired. It's very possible the Spectrum signal never goes out. It's possible your power comes back on and Spectrum's down for another couple of days.

Here in Tampa, the longest power outage we've had was the better part of one afternoon. Never lost then-Bright House. In Detroit, we were on our generator for three days, one time. Never lost Bright House. On another occasion in Detroit, Bright House went down 8 hours into a 12-hour power outage.

In Kentucky, we had a power line snap off and land on an Insight cable distribution box. Electric was back up in a few hours. Cable was down for days.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #3396 of 3455 Old 07-17-2018, 11:44 AM

We'll good to know, thanks.
post #3397 of 3455 Old 07-17-2018, 08:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 37
No Power No SIgnal

Quote:
One other question.
Spectrum nee BirghtHosue (TW Shell game company) nee TimeWarner when they have no power to the amps, nodes etc. be it from storms or ding dongs in cars etc..

BZZTT! No HSD.

Its one of the reasons I am looking for standby HSD,but the cost of having on standby is the same as a regular account. I already pay quite a bit more than the average Jane for internet due to redundancy, but because of the way the fiber and coax/fiber of the HFC is run in my area, the ding dongs normally globber them both,

Spectrum has put no backups be it batteries for short term or genset+battery for longer term ie: hurricane. In a few cases they few "techs" they have that have a truck with a genset will be sent out... I've seen this done maybe twice in 20 years.
Charles Tintera likes this.

Notice: I no longer provide assistance in re OTA antenna and RF related queries.
post #3398 of 3455 Old 07-22-2018, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1490 Post(s)
Liked: 2592
Heads up...

On August 1st WDSC is changing it's programming lineup and also The Florida Channel will be moved to WEFS 68.4:

https://daytonastate.edu/wdsc/

I really ought to act more like a woman of my advancing years, but I’m growing old disgracefully.
post #3399 of 3455 Old 07-29-2018, 04:08 AM

Quote:
That depends on the size and cause of the outage and the way your neighborhood is wired. It's very possible the Spectrum signal never goes out. It's possible your power comes back on and Spectrum's down for another couple of days.

Here in Tampa, the longest power outage we've had was the better part of one afternoon. Never lost then-Bright House. In Detroit, we were on our generator for three days, one time. Never lost Bright House. On another occasion in Detroit, Bright House went down 8 hours into a 12-hour power outage.

In Kentucky, we had a power line snap off and land on an Insight cable distribution box. Electric was back up in a few hours. Cable was down for days.
We had a brief power outage yesterday and the UPS I added for the Cable Box, TV and Blueray didn't miss a beat!
Great advice.
DrDon likes this.
post #3400 of 3455 Old 08-05-2018, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have to testify and give great praise to the Stellar Labs 30-2476 - Deep Fringe VHF High Directional Antenna. I had originally installed a Clear Stream 4V along with a Winegard LNA 200 pre amp just below the mast at my mothers place in Palm Bay. While the UHF stations were coming in fine WESH 2 (RF11) was not. The VHF element for the 4V is the same as the 2V and could only get a signal of 60 on the DTV Pal box I was using while aiming the antenna which happens to be 50 miles from the transmitter. There were too many dropouts. I ordered this antenna along with a UHF-VHF diplexer from Amazon. I disconnected the Clear Stream VHF antenna element and installed the Stellar Labs antenna above the UHF elements. WESH now comes in at 85 with no drop outs. I'm now able to split the signal and feed a second TV in the house. The only downside with this antenna is, while it's not to wide, it is very long, almost 7 feet long. But that's what it takes to get WESH in this part of Palm Bay.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
post #3401 of 3455 Old 08-19-2018, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
So last year, when Hurricane Irma knocked out our power on Sunday night, I hooked up a VERY rudimentary battery backup system. Powered up the TV and the cable box, and the cable signal was still coming through. Totally depends on where the cable equipment out on the poles are getting their power. Clearly, it WASN'T from the downed feeder line/pole that was coming into our neighborhood.

Backup generator already acquired for "next time", and will go to the cable tuner instead of the DVR (with a hard drive that's chewing up power) to see how long we get. Antenna backup in place, just in case....
post #3402 of 3455 Old 09-24-2018, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 19
As of now CHEDDAR TV has replaced TUFF TV on WHDO 38.1
post #3403 of 3455 Old 09-25-2018, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I was going to say Cheddar is back.
post #3404 of 3455 Old 09-29-2018, 04:05 PM

There have been a few changes
WRCF 29.1 - CHEDDAR TV (replacing our third helping of ESCAPE)
Their other 3 sub-channels are gone (They have been blank for almost a year
WHDO 38.1 BIZ TV (as of now BIZ TV is also on WSWF 10.4

WSWF- 10.6 ACTION CHANNEL and 10.7 is Gone as is STADIUM
post #3405 of 3455 Old 09-30-2018, 10:36 AM

Here is my most recent Channel search for Southwest Orlando
Still no THIS TV or the new START TV
post #3406 of 3455 Old 10-08-2018, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Whats with these stupid cable boxes, when off you can still fry an egg and bacon on them ? they even keep the hdmi signal hot when off, messing up the automatic hdmi switcher, anyone tried an alternative to Rectum Cable ?

Theater 1, Denon AVR X8500 H, 77 inch LG C9,Oled, RBH Signitures & surrounds,etc.SVS PC 4000 sub Oppo 95, Denon DVD 3930, Epson UB 5040 Projection
post #3407 of 3455 Old 10-12-2018, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Any changes recently. For the past few days I lost Wesh 2.3. I got it back by turning my flat indoor Antenna around. Also got CW back, which I haven't had in 6 months. Has the tower signal changed? Could it be environmental (time of year)?
post #3408 of 3455 Old 11-23-2018, 06:56 AM

Couldn't help but notice, WACX 55 is now running test patterns on 55-9, 10 & 11. And has anyone seen the screen on WDSC 15-2 which is showing the Florida channel not being broadcast there as of August 24, 2017, the same screen they showed when they actually dropped the Florida Channel last year, brought it back a few months later, then dropped it again earlier this year.
post #3409 of 3455 Old 12-19-2018, 04:02 PM

WKMG 6.4 is now on with Start TV.
post #3410 of 3455 Old 12-19-2018, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USFFrank View Post
WKMG 6.4 is now on with Start TV.
Glad They added 6.4 and didn't drop Decades. Now to get THIS TV back
post #3411 of 3455 Old 12-31-2018, 02:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hello Everyone,

I'm looking for an in attic antenna and need some ideas please. Here is my Clermont report. FYI my house on a hill about as high as you can be in Florida. Thanks in advance for any input.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9038ba53ae44d4

Kagolu

Last edited by kagolu; 12-31-2018 at 02:09 AM.
post #3412 of 3455 Old 01-22-2019, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagolu View Post
Hello Everyone,

I'm looking for an in attic antenna and need some ideas please. Here is my Clermont report. FYI my house on a hill about as high as you can be in Florida. Thanks in advance for any input.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9038ba53ae44d4
kagolu,

Have you mounted an antenna yet? It looks like you shouldn't have much trouble with an attic-mounted antenna except maybe for WFTV (Ch. 9.1).

I use an attic-mounted Winegard Freevision antenna that I picked up at Home Depot. I'm in Melbourne, FL, so I am about 20 miles farther from the Orlando TV transmitters "antenna farm" than you are. Using a Winegard LNA-200 amp with my antenna, I can pick up about 63 channels.

post #3413 of 3455 Old 01-24-2019, 07:31 PM

http://yournewsnet.com/
NewsNet is now airing on WSWF 10.5
Lysander Spooner likes this.
post #3414 of 3455 Old 03-05-2019, 11:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Daytona Beach antenna

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9038fbb5c544d7

The report is for a friend who wants to try OTA from attic or indoors antenna.
Any suggestions and expectations?i

Last edited by zerowords; 03-05-2019 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Bad link
post #3415 of 3455 Old 03-05-2019, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Looks like they may be able to pick up all of the "big" channels (CBS, The CW, Fox, NBC, etc) with a simple indoor antenna. Because they are all in the green area of the chart. Except for ABC (WFTV, 9.1). That looks like it may need an attic-mounted antenna. But TV Fool just gives you an idea of what you SHOULD get. The local conditions - power lines, buildings, trees, etc - can all affect the actual signal.

Before you start fishing coax thru the walls and crawling around in a hot, dusty attic, try a simple room antenna like a Mohu Leaf. Mounted on a window is best. Higher is better. I've picked up several more channels simply by placing a room antenna a few inches higher.

If after experimenting with placements you are not satisfied with the reception, you can return that antenna and get a larger antenna to mount in the attic.
zerowords likes this.

Last edited by Dennis_D; 03-05-2019 at 12:04 PM.
post #3416 of 3455 Old 04-22-2019, 04:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
[quote=kagolu;57351592]Hello Everyone,

You will find the Antop AT-400BV an excellent antenna.
post #3417 of 3455 Old 05-05-2019, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1490 Post(s)
Liked: 2592
Anyone in the Melbourne/Palm Bay area having trouble with WESH? I was trying to watch the derby yesterday (heavy rain knocked out the D* for a bit) but I was getting horrible pixilation. It's not as bad today, but still there. I was wondering if it was them or if I have to go out to play with the antenna.

I really ought to act more like a woman of my advancing years, but I’m growing old disgracefully.
post #3418 of 3455 Old 05-06-2019, 04:11 PM

COURT TV will launch May 8 on WOTF 26.5. I have been having a harder time picking up this station in Southwest Orlando
post #3419 of 3455 Old 06-11-2019, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Smile Wesh back on air in ocala

WESH back on the air through it's repeaters (my term) Don't know why they had to change....
post #3420 of 3455 Old 07-22-2019, 03:13 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Zedd View Post
COURT TV will launch May 8 on WOTF 26.5. I have been having a harder time picking up this station in Southwest Orlando
This is great. Too bad it is behind my Antop 400BV antenna. At night I can usually get a solid signal but in the afternoon heat I get some pixelation. I am only about 11 miles south from the tower but my antenna is pointed at Bithlo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page