Peoria, IL - HDTV - Page 83 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 22Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2461 of 2473 Old 05-01-2020, 07:30 PM
Member
 
TimfromSpfdIL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Chatham, IL
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 12
RabbitEars is now showing WAOE as no longer silent, and apparently now on RF 10. And yes, from LaSalle at WWTO's old transmitter:

https://www.rabbitears.info/market.p...n=waoe#station

Has that switch actually occurred now, and if so, when did it happen?

However, RabbitEars is still showing WAOE as continuing to re-transmit their 59.1 My signal on a WHOI subchannel.

Anyone know what's officially up now with WHOI and WAOE now?
TimfromSpfdIL is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2462 of 2473 Old 05-05-2020, 12:12 PM
Member
 
TechFan893's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimfromSpfdIL View Post
RabbitEars is now showing WAOE as no longer silent, and apparently now on RF 10. And yes, from LaSalle at WWTO's old transmitter:

https://www.rabbitears.info/market.p...n=waoe#station

Has that switch actually occurred now, and if so, when did it happen?

However, RabbitEars is still showing WAOE as continuing to re-transmit their 59.1 My signal on a WHOI subchannel.

Anyone know what's officially up now with WHOI and WAOE now?
https://www.facebook.com/WAOEMy59/ph...type=3&theater

In the attached screenshot of the post below, WAOE mentions the possibility of adding MeTV.


**MAY 1, 2020** WAOE Repack UPDATE**

Work on WAOE’s post-repack transmission facility has been ongoing over the last several months, despite numerous weather delays, several technical issues - and now a global pandemic!😲

GOOD NEWS: Finally, the remaining tower and site work at the new, post-repack WAOE transmission facility has been successfully completed.

BAD NEWS: Unfortunately, the critical transmitter equipment has been repeatedly delayed and back-ordered. Very frustrating! 🤬 Despite our best efforts, delivery is not expected until mid- to late May. Nonetheless, upon arrival, installation will be completed immediately. At that time, a “switch” date can then be determined, which should be shortly after, and will allow the resumption of broadcast of AntennaTV 59.2 and LightTV 59.3.

As work continues on this transition, we feel this quote fits perfectly,
“All change is hard at first, messy in the middle and gorgeous at the end.” (Robin Sharma)

During this messy middle phase, please know the patience, tolerance and understanding shown over the last few months has been greatly appreciated. Like our viewers, we are inconvenienced, disappointed, frustrated and even angry with this process and the difficulties it has caused, such as the technical limitations currently preventing the broadcast of our sub-channels: AntennaTV 59.2 & LightTV 59.3.

In the next few weeks, we expect to have additional, more specific information to share, and those updates will be communicated to viewers via our website, Facebook page and on-air announcements. So, please standby...

Detailed and comprehensive information regarding this FCC-mandated frequency change and its effects on WAOE and other broadcast stations throughout the nation is available on our website, specifically at my59.tv/channel-repack/. We encourage all viewers who still have questions to visit that link and to read the provided information thoroughly.
THANK YOU and STAY WELL!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WAOE MeTV.PNG
Views:	34
Size:	301.4 KB
ID:	2721572  
TechFan893 is offline  
post #2463 of 2473 Old 05-05-2020, 07:26 PM
Member
 
TimfromSpfdIL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Chatham, IL
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechFan893 View Post
https://www.facebook.com/WAOEMy59/ph...type=3&theater

In the attached screenshot of the post below, WAOE mentions the possibility of adding MeTV.


**MAY 1, 2020** WAOE Repack UPDATE**

Work on WAOE’s post-repack transmission facility has been ongoing over the last several months, despite numerous weather delays, several technical issues - and now a global pandemic!😲

GOOD NEWS: Finally, the remaining tower and site work at the new, post-repack WAOE transmission facility has been successfully completed.

BAD NEWS: Unfortunately, the critical transmitter equipment has been repeatedly delayed and back-ordered. Very frustrating! 🤬 Despite our best efforts, delivery is not expected until mid- to late May. Nonetheless, upon arrival, installation will be completed immediately. At that time, a “switch” date can then be determined, which should be shortly after, and will allow the resumption of broadcast of AntennaTV 59.2 and LightTV 59.3.

As work continues on this transition, we feel this quote fits perfectly,
“All change is hard at first, messy in the middle and gorgeous at the end.” (Robin Sharma)

During this messy middle phase, please know the patience, tolerance and understanding shown over the last few months has been greatly appreciated. Like our viewers, we are inconvenienced, disappointed, frustrated and even angry with this process and the difficulties it has caused, such as the technical limitations currently preventing the broadcast of our sub-channels: AntennaTV 59.2 & LightTV 59.3.

In the next few weeks, we expect to have additional, more specific information to share, and those updates will be communicated to viewers via our website, Facebook page and on-air announcements. So, please standby...

Detailed and comprehensive information regarding this FCC-mandated frequency change and its effects on WAOE and other broadcast stations throughout the nation is available on our website, specifically at my59.tv/channel-repack/. We encourage all viewers who still have questions to visit that link and to read the provided information thoroughly.
THANK YOU and STAY WELL!
And yet still no mention of moving to WWTO's old transmitter near LaSalle--and the likelihood that Peoria and Bloomington viewers will never receive WAOE again after the new transmitter is installed.
TimfromSpfdIL is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2464 of 2473 Old 05-06-2020, 08:27 AM
Senior Member
 
longwong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimfromSpfdIL View Post
And yet still no mention of moving to WWTO's old transmitter near LaSalle--and the likelihood that Peoria and Bloomington viewers will never receive WAOE again after the new transmitter is installed.
Three months ago I was able to get an email response from the station manager Sara Horn which confirmed the channel 10 frequency but nothing about the transmitter location. I don't think they've taken into account the Peoria or Bloomington folks receiving the station OTA, nor do they probably care since their old transmitter was by far the weakest signal out of the Peoria market to begin with.

One thing I've noticed about the outermost signal contour is that for UHF stations, the reception usually bleeds for some distance past it, but for VHF stations the actual reception generally dies off before you reach the contour. So while both Peoria and Bloomington are technically inside the contour for WAOE on channel 10, they are too close to the edge and therefore mostly outside the range of feasible reception for most folks in those areas.

I was thinking of putting up a large enough VHF boom to try for WAOE reception in Bloomington but I don't know if it's worth the trouble or the possible wrath from my HOA. If I enforce my right to put up such a boom, I'd better make sure it works for its intended purpose first. But in looking at the Rabbitears contour chart for WAOE, I have very serious doubts about my location as it's red fading to white...
sebenste likes this.
longwong is offline  
post #2465 of 2473 Old 05-09-2020, 02:19 PM
Member
 
TimfromSpfdIL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Chatham, IL
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Linked below is the FCC TV Query results of the Digital LP applications for Peoria. All owned, as expected, by DTV America. Any chance WAOE's owners could acquire one of those and rebroadcast the station's RF 10 signal (and all subchannels) from LaSalle on it?

https://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/t...2=&EW=W&size=9

I don't see any TV apps for Bloomington, however. Even though I thought a few years ago there was at least one DTV America license for the Twin Cities. If possible, maybe one of the digital LP apps for Peoria could be moved to Bloomington, and WAOE could run translators for both Peoria and Bloomington.

Last edited by TimfromSpfdIL; 05-10-2020 at 05:32 AM.
TimfromSpfdIL is offline  
post #2466 of 2473 Old 05-22-2020, 07:50 AM
Member
 
TimfromSpfdIL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Chatham, IL
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 12
WTVP is planning to launch a locally-produced subchannel, "WTVP Remote" on 47.5 later this summer to help local children (especially those without internet access) continue to learn during COVID-19-related school shutdowns. The subchannel will continue beyond the pandemic.

https://www.pjstar.com/news/20200520...ash-and-beyond

However, AFAIK they don't have a 47.4 subchannel last I knew. The main WTVP/PBS feed is 47.1, Kids is 47.2, and the combined World/Create is 47.3.

Do you know if WTVP is also launching a 47.4 subchannel station, so they can use 47.5 for Remote? Or will they skip .4? (Personally, I'd like to see separate World and Create feeds again).

(This will be the first xx.5 subchannel in the Peoria/Bloomington market. Not counting the former WWTO's 35.5 signal in the northern half of the market until the station's move to Naperville, and those areas immediately northwest of Peoria--especially from Brimfield northwestward--that can receive Start TV on KWQC-6.5).
TimfromSpfdIL is offline  
post #2467 of 2473 Old 05-22-2020, 12:36 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
From WTVP’s Facebook page, World and Create will be their own separate channels. Also WAOE on its Facebook page said they are in talks to add MeTV once they get everything up and running depending on bandwidth.
Dhuffman1980 is offline  
post #2468 of 2473 Old 05-24-2020, 09:40 AM
Member
 
TimfromSpfdIL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Chatham, IL
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhuffman1980 View Post
From WTVP’s Facebook page, World and Create will be their own separate channels.
Do you know if WILL Urbana will also return to having World and Create on separate channels again (one of them on 12.4)?
TimfromSpfdIL is offline  
post #2469 of 2473 Old 05-24-2020, 01:37 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Don’t know about WILL
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimfromSpfdIL View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhuffman1980 View Post
From WTVP’️s Facebook page, World and Create will be their own separate channels.
Do you know if WILL Urbana will also return to having World and Create on separate channels again (one of them on 12.4)?
Dhuffman1980 is offline  
post #2470 of 2473 Old Yesterday, 08:35 AM
Senior Member
 
longwong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Heads up, a member on the Chicago OTA forum has alerted to WAOE now broadcasting on the physical channel 10 out of Ottawa.

With an 80" VHF-Hi boom at 30' now hooked to the preamp, I was initially able to get them at ~50% signal strength aiming straight north.
The Rabbitears plot for WAOE as it pertains to SE Bloomington has me in the red-fading-to-nothing section, so I'm surprised to get anything at all.

59-1 seems to be in 720p again; Antenna TV is back on 59-2 and Light TV is back on 59-3.
sebenste likes this.

Last edited by longwong; Yesterday at 09:51 AM.
longwong is offline  
post #2471 of 2473 Old Yesterday, 08:56 AM
Senior Member
 
longwong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The WAOE signal for me has now dropped closer to "just-locking" even when that long boom is precisely aimed, and it's stayed there for a while now. The 50% I got over an hour ago may have been a fluke. I wonder if this may be due to the rain activity just to the north, or for that matter whether the signal is still going to lock tomorrow. I can already tell that the reception of the Ottawa frequency is probably not going to be dependable for me in the long term. Sadly my hunch stands, that most folks in either Peoria or Bloomington are probably not going to be able to get them OTA anymore unless they continue to run a translator.
sebenste likes this.

Last edited by longwong; Yesterday at 09:50 AM.
longwong is offline  
post #2472 of 2473 Old Yesterday, 05:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sebenste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: DeKalb, IL
Posts: 3,678
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by longwong View Post
The WAOE signal for me has now dropped closer to "just-locking" even when that long boom is precisely aimed, and it's stayed there for a while now. The 50% I got over an hour ago may have been a fluke. I wonder if this may be due to the rain activity just to the north, or for that matter whether the signal is still going to lock tomorrow. I can already tell that the reception of the Ottawa frequency is probably not going to be dependable for me in the long term. Sadly my hunch stands, that most folks in either Peoria or Bloomington are probably not going to be able to get them OTA anymore unless they continue to run a translator.
Thunderstorms are going on, that will definitely hurt a VHF signal.

Gilbert
sebenste is offline  
post #2473 of 2473 Old Yesterday, 06:50 PM
Senior Member
 
longwong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebenste View Post
Thunderstorms are going on, that will definitely hurt a VHF signal.
I was observing reception that was waning through early afternoon, and I completely lost the signal after about 3:00 pm.
During that period, I noticed that the thunderstorms were actually at their heaviest on the radar during the late morning when I got the best lock, and they too were winding down just as my reception started to flicker on and off. Maybe that early 50% was a fluke after all. My only other hope is that they might not yet be turned on at full power, since there is no definite station announcement about a final rescan date.

Oddly enough, per Antennaweb, if I input my address and check off the 30' or higher box, they list WAOE as a "blue" antenna station. My rig is probably at least ~28' high, and if you went by the Antennaweb logic I should have a shot. Yet going by the Rabbitears plot, my residence is right at the point where the red almost fades to nothing, so that would seem to indicate crappy or non-existent reception. In my experience I've found the Rabbitears plots to be accurate down to the orange but overly optimistic when red. I guess I won't really know the final answer until I see how things look after the rescan date.
longwong is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off