Salt Lake City, UT - HDTV - Page 24 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #691 of 3754 Old 07-19-2005, 12:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterCLC View Post

I seem to be confused yet again

I recorded a few episodes of CSI from KUTV-DT and they were in a 16:9 ratio in HD. Now it seems that the newest episodes (the last 2) were in 4:3, and the picture looks good, but not as crisp as the first ones. Is this normal? Do they only air *new* episodes in 16:9 HD and the re-runs are in SD?

The primetime episodes of CSI should all be in 16:9 HD, most with 5.1 surround sound.
All flavors of CSI should be, the original CSI, CSI:Miami and CSI:New York.

This includes new episodes and reruns in primetime from the previous season.
Reruns from before this last season probably won't be in 5.1 surround though.

The weekend syndicated reruns, Saturday and Sunday 11:30pm aren't in 16:9, HD, nor are they 5.1 surround sound,
just upconverted 4:3 (with the gray bars on the side)

Does this help with the confusion?

Jerry
KUTV Chief Master Control Operator

edit: dang it, I hate when my post rolls over to the next page.

I don't just watch HD-TV, I make it happen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 3754 Old 07-19-2005, 12:45 PM

It definitely helps, thank you! That explains exactly what I've got.

Thank you!

Chad
Local Geek
post #693 of 3754 Old 07-19-2005, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member

Has KSTU (FOX) increased the signal strength yet? Wasn't it supposed to happen this summer?

Michael.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #694 of 3754 Old 07-19-2005, 09:17 PM

Last I heard (which was a week ago Sunday), they had postponed it until August, and if that slips, it could be next summer... Its a really big undertaking and although I speak with no experience at all in this, I doubt anyone would disagree.

Of course this was truly 2nd hand info (KSTU engineer -> station employee -> me) so take it as you will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSilla View Post

Has KSTU (FOX) increased the signal strength yet? Wasn't it supposed to happen this summer?

Michael.

post #695 of 3754 Old 07-20-2005, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerzdosen View Post

Last I heard (which was a week ago Sunday), they had postponed it until August, and if that slips, it could be next summer... Its a really big undertaking and although I speak with no experience at all in this, I doubt anyone would disagree.

Of course this was truly 2nd hand info (KSTU engineer -> station employee -> me) so take it as you will.

So, the first excuse was "wait until the snow melts." Now what, is it too hot up there to do any work? I've given up on this happening anytime in the next year.

Suburbia: where trees are cut down and streets are named after them.
Flickr photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nvsteve/sets/
post #696 of 3754 Old 07-23-2005, 07:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Hey Jerry...
Why does the L&R (music and effects, mostly) audio on CBS's 5.1 shows, like CSI, run so much louder than other stuff?

I tried to watch "CSI" the other night, and I had to turn up the volume to hear the dialogue, but the music and effects were so loud that it was annoying my neighbors. Are you running an audio processor on the L&R only, and passing the other 4 channels straight through? (I'm listening in stereo, not 5.1.)

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #697 of 3754 Old 07-23-2005, 04:33 PM

Thanks to everyone with their posts. It has been really helpful to get up and going with HD here in SLC.

Like many here I get marginal FOX HDTV signals via OTA (in Sugarhouse with a Silversensor). I tried calling Directv and get CBS and FOX via the owned and operated rule and the CSR told me that recent legislation in the last two months had made that impossible to do.

Does anyone know if that is just a line or does she know what she is talking about? Is there a different approach I should be taking?

Thanks for the Help.

J
post #698 of 3754 Old 07-23-2005, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Hey Ken:

Really amazing sound and picture on the "Celebration" broadcast. Any chance it will be reshown in HD? Your post on this seemed to suggest that all rebroadcasts would be in SD, which is a shame.

ISF Certified
post #699 of 3754 Old 07-24-2005, 06:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

You might want to check with KBYU....they have HD playback capabilities now. We might do something, but it would probably be a last-minute substitute for something else.

"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #700 of 3754 Old 07-24-2005, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenglish View Post

Hey Jerry...
Why does the L&R (music and effects, mostly) audio on CBS's 5.1 shows, like CSI, run so much louder than other stuff?

I tried to watch "CSI" the other night, and I had to turn up the volume to hear the dialogue, but the music and effects were so loud that it was annoying my neighbors. Are you running an audio processor on the L&R only, and passing the other 4 channels straight through? (I'm listening in stereo, not 5.1.)

As far as I know, we're passing all audio straight through, just as CBS is sending it, not doing anything here with any of the audio channels.

I have noticed that CBS didn't quite have 5.1 figured out when they started doing the CSI's, and the mix has improved for the later episodes.

Then when they started using the metadata to adjust the levels, it took them a while to get into the swing of things as well.

Jerry

post #701 of 3754 Old 07-24-2005, 06:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmann99999 View Post

Thanks to everyone with their posts. It has been really helpful to get up and going with HD here in SLC.

Like many here I get marginal FOX HDTV signals via OTA (in Sugarhouse with a Silversensor). I tried calling Directv and get CBS and FOX via the owned and operated rule and the CSR told me that recent legislation in the last two months had made that impossible to do.

Does anyone know if that is just a line or does she know what she is talking about? Is there a different approach I should be taking?

Thanks for the Help.

J

You should get it automatically, i thought. Have you checked channel 81 and 89? I get those channels just fine. I think it's just a scripted line they tell you. I do subscribe to the hd package though. You may have to do the same.
post #702 of 3754 Old 07-25-2005, 09:50 PM

Bachelor-

Thanks for the info. Not getting 81 and 89 (and now knowing what exactly to ask for), I called and asked for the two channles. I eventually got to the waivers department and they said things changed "recently" and that now they can't just provide me with O&O locals. So, they are sending out waiver requests to the locals for me and I should know within 45 days whether they grant me the West coast feed. Hopefully it is just a formality for CBS and Fox.

It really helped knowing how to ask the right question, so thanks for the help!!

J
post #703 of 3754 Old 07-26-2005, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Did anyone watch the Parade?

post #704 of 3754 Old 07-26-2005, 01:00 PM

I watched the Days of 47 Parade in HD and it looked ok, but I noticed quite a few problems. I don't know if the VC fell asleep or what, but iris control was a big problem. There was one shot the director went to a camera and it was way hot and then sometimes a little dark. There was once the iris got shut all the way and then back up a little. Then it also seemed there was a timing problem with a couple of cameras as the takes between cameras would glitch a little. It was bad enough that my wife mentioned to me how bad it was. It also seemed to me that white balance wasn't the same between all the cameras. When all is said and done, it was nice to see the parade in HD and had it not been in HD I would not have watched it. What HD production truck was it and was the crew KSL staff, freelance, or a bit of both? There was a lot of talk about HD though and they were pushing it. I saw the HD promo package about HD. Was that you Ken in that?
post #705 of 3754 Old 07-26-2005, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 105
I watched the preshow from 8 to about 8:45. It looked pretty good. I was bummed I had to leave and I wasn't able to catch the parade. I'm without a HD DVR.......
post #706 of 3754 Old 07-31-2005, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenglish View Post

Did anyone watch the Parade?

I did. Looked very "local", despite all of the jib/hd/tech/etc. Could hardly hear anything from the street. Shame...

Glad to see it get airtime though...if you guys did more special events the production might improve...
post #707 of 3754 Old 07-31-2005, 10:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Thought the parade was great. I can tell you I would not of watched it if it was not in HD. I was depressed to find out I didn't win one of the 2 HDTVs given away.

Mike
post #708 of 3754 Old 08-02-2005, 10:14 PM

Sound on channel 2-1?
Has anyone noticed any sound problems with channel 2-1 lately? It seems to me that there is no center channel audio being transmitted lately. It seems to have started a couple of week ago.
post #709 of 3754 Old 08-03-2005, 12:49 AM

I thought it was just my setup. I recently recorded an episode of CSI, though it was on late so it wasn't high-def (via mythtv and a pchdtv 3000 High Def PCI Tuner card), came in today to watch it and it had *no* audio, not just a missing channel this time.

I don't really have any debug info, so I just discount these types of problems as my own 'hardware issues' but if someone else is having problems...

Let us know if you find anything out.

Chad
Local Geek
post #710 of 3754 Old 08-04-2005, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbartschi View Post

Sound on channel 2-1?
Has anyone noticed any sound problems with channel 2-1 lately? It seems to me that there is no center channel audio being transmitted lately. It seems to have started a couple of week ago.

What programs have you noticed this on?

Center will only be there in the shows that have 5.1 audio (CSI's, Numbers, King of Queens, and the ocasional HD movie)

Everything else only has Left and Right audio channels.

Jerry
KUTV MCR Chief Operator

post #711 of 3754 Old 08-04-2005, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterCLC View Post

I thought it was just my setup. I recently recorded an episode of CSI, though it was on late so it wasn't high-def (via mythtv and a pchdtv 3000 High Def PCI Tuner card), came in today to watch it and it had *no* audio, not just a missing channel this time.

I don't really have any debug info, so I just discount these types of problems as my own 'hardware issues' but if someone else is having problems...

Let us know if you find anything out.

If there really was no audio, I'm sure we would have been notified ASAP, so I'm betting it was an issue with your setup.

Jerry
KUTV MCR Chief Operator

post #712 of 3754 Old 08-06-2005, 12:24 AM

Cool, thanks for the reply!

It happens intermittently, which is so hard to debug. I seem to always get audio when the episode recorded is in high-def, whereas the non-audio episodes seem to always be the late night versions that are standard. I'll up my verbosity in my logs to see what I can find since it's probably on my end.

Thanks!

Chad
Local Geek
post #713 of 3754 Old 08-06-2005, 06:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Did KUWB-DT change some PIDs lately? I lost audio from them one day last week. Next day, I re-scanned and got it back.

Also, I have "permanently" lost KUTV-DT on my SS antenna....seemed to happen when they painted the outside walls of the building. I'm starting to agree with the people who say that DTV only works reliably with an outdoor antenna (even a small one) .

post #714 of 3754 Old 08-06-2005, 02:43 PM

Does anyone else have trouble viewing KUTV-DT on their ATI HDTV Wonder? I bought my HDTV Wonder last winter sometime. Then when spring rolled around KUTV-DT stopped working. It works fine for my HDTV decoder but my HDTV Wonder won't display it.

I was wondering if anyone else out there with an HDTV Wonder can get 2-1? So maybe I can determine if it is a configuration or driver installation problem or not. I've reinstalled a couple of times since it stopped working and I've never got it back.

Mike
post #715 of 3754 Old 08-07-2005, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngm View Post

Does anyone else have trouble viewing KUTV-DT on their ATI HDTV Wonder?

I had the same problem for a while. Fixed mine by adding a -10db pad between the antenna and the HDTV wonder input. YMMV...
post #716 of 3754 Old 08-07-2005, 09:31 AM

Quote:

Fixed mine by adding a -10db pad between the antenna and the HDTV wonder input.

I'll try anything at this point but I'm kind of a beginner. What is a -10db pad and what in theory is it supposed to do? Any ideas on where I can get one?

Mike
post #717 of 3754 Old 08-07-2005, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 48
--Sigh--

Not again. Flipped on the projector to watch "Deep Impact" on CBS in High Def. But No. . . It's a SD picture with DD sound. The HD insignia lights up but I only get SD.

How much longer do I suffer from these CONSTANT HD problems? How many YEARS does it take before things get better?

Not even worth watching in SD since I have the DVD. I guess I'll watch "Crossing Jordan"

Do you think that Salt Lake City is the capital of HD incompetence?
post #718 of 3754 Old 08-08-2005, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricwhite View Post

Do you think that Salt Lake City is the capitol of HD incompetence?

No, just incompetence in general! :-)

@youngm
a pad is also known as an attenuator, it's function is the opposite of a signal booster. In my case, I believe the channel 2-1 signal was overloading the input of my HDTV wonder. I found a -6db version at RadioShack
http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...t%5Fid=15-1257
It simply connects between the antenna cable and the HDTVW input. good luck.
post #719 of 3754 Old 08-08-2005, 12:27 PM

Quote:

Not again. Flipped on the projector to watch "Deep Impact" on CBS in High Def. But No. . . It's a SD picture with DD sound. The HD insignia lights up but I only get SD. ?

CBS didn't even offer Deep Impact in High Definition.

Why, I have no idea.

They do their own movies in HD, but it's hit and miss when it comes to the theatrical ones.

If you lived in New York, it wouldn't have been in HD,
if you lived in L.A., no HD,
Denver, no HD,
Salt Lake City, no HD.

Don't go blaming us (KUTV), fire off an email to the head CBS honchos.

Quote:

How much longer do I suffer from these CONSTANT HD problems? How many YEARS does it take before things get better?

Do you think that Salt Lake City is the capitol of HD incompetence?

Any specific KUTV ones you are referring to?

High Definition is still very much in it's infancy.

How long before there was Color in Television?
How long till Stereo was broadcast?
How long till Surround Sound was standard?

Consider yourself lucky you can even see High Definition (when it's available)
90% of the population has no idea what they are missing.

Jerry
KUTV Chief Master Control Operator.

post #720 of 3754 Old 08-08-2005, 01:44 PM

Quote:

Do you think that Salt Lake City is the capitol [sic] of HD incompetence?

You know, I don't want to get into a flame war, but I'll just throw in my 2¢ here...

I don't know that this is fair. I think that the stations here do a fairly decent job. No its not perfect (and I think that everyone involved with the broadcasts would agree with that), but given what everyone has to work with, I gotta say, I think for our market size (population, not geographic We're what, 35?) SLC has VERY decent HD - with the obvious exceptions being KSTU's antenna woes, KUWB's PSIP problems (my personal pet peeve with my t165), and KPNZ's lack of, well, everything digital because of broadcast spectrum limitations (read: USDTV). Its like people can't see the progress made in the last two years (or more, but I haven't been following HD any longer).

If anyone wants to research, try these threads for the markets "around" ours in size:

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=444586 (Columbus, OH)

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=463747 (Milwaukee, WI - careful, it might take you a long time to wade through all 6 posts from the past YEAR)

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=322947 (Greenville, SC)

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=137205 (San Antonio, TX)

Go read some of the posts. The names have changed, but the situation is much the same (except Milwaukee. I have no idea why no one contributes there, but hey, after hearing my wife's description of the place from her 3 year contract there, I'm not too surprised.)

However, in searching around, I had my suspicions confirmed. You don't find a lot of engineers contributing like you do here.

With that said, and if anyone is still listening, does anyone know anything about KPNZ's digital plans? I noticed that they've still got a DT construction permit in. (http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?state=&call=kpnz)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page