post #2131 of 2200 Old 01-23-2019, 03:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
Last ten minutes of BB tonight was glitchy. Didn’t watch live, but off of HTPC DVR about 20 minutes behind live.
I just flat out can't get 10.1 or the subs anymore. I am northwest of you near Hudson.

Sony 65" A1E Pioneer Elite DV-59 AVI
OPPO203,103&83 Sony BD player
Pioneer Elite SC61 AVR Acurus 200x 3
Paradigm 60V5'S 490 CC V5
B&W 685 S2's 2 SVS subs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2132 of 2200 Old 01-26-2019, 09:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Checking each night at different times and some nights watching shows so far Channel 10 WTSP has been rock solid here. (NPR) Since the demise of the Channel 28 signal (See my earlier posts it is ok now but nowhere near it's former strength) Channel 10 has been the highest signal of any channel I get.

In the past I too have had all the locals black out for awhile OTA overnight for no known reason and have had certain channels have lower than normal signals at times. But in recent times since the channel 28 problem they have been good ironically especially channel 10 and subs. Channel 13 continues it's long tradition of many years of having quick break-ups almost every morning between about 8AM and 10/11am and sometimes when a plane flies between me and the tower.
post #2133 of 2200 Old 01-27-2019, 05:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampa8 View Post
Checking each night at different times and some nights watching shows so far Channel 10 WTSP has been rock solid here. (NPR) Since the demise of the Channel 28 signal (See my earlier posts it is ok now but nowhere near it's former strength) Channel 10 has been the highest signal of any channel I get.

In the past I too have had all the locals black out for awhile OTA overnight for no known reason and have had certain channels have lower than normal signals at times. But in recent times since the channel 28 problem they have been good ironically especially channel 10 and subs. Channel 13 continues it's long tradition of many years of having quick break-ups almost every morning between about 8AM and 10/11am and sometimes when a plane flies between me and the tower.

I just can't get 10 anymore. Or anythime i power up my AVR for my OPPO players i can't get 8 or it's subs. I have the Ant cable running thru a Monster HTS36000. So i don't know what is going on. Maybe they built some tower between me and the towers in Riverview.

I get break up on all chans. I wonder if my cable outside it bad again after less than 2 years or the 2022 Ant is bad. I had better luck with a much smaller Ant before
buying the 2022.
I don't use any traps or power boosters.

Just wished there was a company that could install something that works for me. I looked in my phone book and can't find any company that will install a ANT.

Chan 28 and it's subs are fine for me. But why would 10 and it's subs just stop working out of the blue?

B&W 685 S2's 2 SVS subs

Last edited by CHASLS2; 01-27-2019 at 05:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2134 of 2200 Old 01-27-2019, 06:45 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked: 4344
WFTS is on 29.. it's UHF. WTSP and WFLA are on VHF at 10 and 7, respectively. So, your problem could be something interfering with VHF. Electrical interference, multipath or just bad antenna connections.

The first thing to try is bypassing the Monster. If a cap is going bad, it could be introducing static into your antenna line that VHF is more prone to suffer from. The fact you have issues with WFLA when powering up the AVR is another sign something's making noise. (A test for that is to take an AM radio, tune it to a spot with no stations and move it around near your AVR. If it gets really noisy, you've found the problem)

If you don't have any pre-amps, splitters or anything else in the line, then yeah.. weather may have gotten to your connections. It can affect one set of frequencies more than another. I've seen many cases where cooler weather caused condensation inside of connections that only affected a small swath of frequencies. I've seen the same issue with nicks in coax and center conductors that shrink their way out of a connection when it's cold.

But, yeah, it could be a new structure, broken tree limb, billboard... lots of possibilities. I'd start with a fresh line from the antenna to the TV. Remove the Monster ENTIRELY (that means unplug it from the wall and set it aside) and don't power up anything else. If that works, add back things one at a time until you find the culprit.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.

Last edited by DrDon; 01-27-2019 at 06:54 AM.
post #2135 of 2200 Old 01-27-2019, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
WFTS is on 29.. it's UHF. WTSP and WFLA are on VHF at 10 and 7, respectively. So, your problem could be something interfering with VHF. Electrical interference, multipath or just bad antenna connections.

The first thing to try is bypassing the Monster. If a cap is going bad, it could be introducing static into your antenna line that VHF is more prone to suffer from. The fact you have issues with WFLA when powering up the AVR is another sign something's making noise. (A test for that is to take an AM radio, tune it to a spot with no stations and move it around near your AVR. If it gets really noisy, you've found the problem)

If you don't have any pre-amps, splitters or anything else in the line, then yeah.. weather may have gotten to your connections. It can affect one set of frequencies more than another. I've seen many cases where cooler weather caused condensation inside of connections that only affected a small swath of frequencies. I've seen the same issue with nicks in coax and center conductors that shrink their way out of a connection when it's cold.

But, yeah, it could be a new structure, broken tree limb, billboard... lots of possibilities. I'd start with a fresh line from the antenna to the TV. Remove the Monster ENTIRELY and don't power up anything else. If that works, add back things one at a time until you find the culprit.
I am getting a new subwoofer this week so once i move the TV stand out i will reroute the cable direct to the tv. I got tons of wires behind my TV. 4 BD players, Outboard AMP, AVR and the Monster 3600.

I never saw a chan 29 before. It is 28.1 , 28.2 and 28.3 on my TV and always has been. Never saw a chan 7 as well.

B&W 685 S2's 2 SVS subs
post #2136 of 2200 Old 01-27-2019, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
I am getting a new subwoofer this week so once i move the TV stand out i will reroute the cable direct to the tv. I got tons of wires behind my TV. 4 BD players, Outboard AMP, AVR and the Monster 3600.

I never saw a chan 29 before. It is 28.1 , 28.2 and 28.3 on my TV and always has been.
I've changed some things in my response, above, since you quoted it.

WFTS broadcasts on channel 29. The virtual channel is 28. This is why it's best to work with call letters and not virtual channel numbers. WFLA is on real rf 7. So is WTTA. The virtual channel numbers allowed broadcasters to retain their legacy identification even though they may have changed frequencies during the transition. Some, such as WTSP and WTVT changed back to their original frequencies after analog shutoff. So, when troubleshooting reception issues, it's best to know exactly what frequency or real channel you're dealing with.

Tampa Channel listing.

post #2137 of 2200 Old 01-27-2019, 07:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I've changed some things in my response, above, since you quoted it.

WFTS broadcasts on channel 29. The virtual channel is 28. This is why it's best to work with call letters and not virtual channel numbers. WFLA is on real rf 7. So is WTTA. The virtual channel numbers allowed broadcasters to retain their legacy identification even though they may have changed frequencies during the transition. Some, such as WTSP and WTVT changed back to their original frequencies after analog shutoff. So, when troubleshooting reception issues, it's best to know exactly what frequency or real channel you're dealing with.

Tampa Channel listing.
I just don't understand any of that on that chart as i get none of them chans. I get 3.1 , 8.1 , 10.1 , 13.1 and 28.1. Like i did since 2001. Just that they added more subs over the years. I also get 32.1 and a 44.1 and a 44.2 and a few others chans i deleted. I get Chan 48.1 but not 10.1.

Is there any Service that installs a ANT anymore? Just moving all this stuff out from my bedroom wall in a pain to get behind. I never had trouble with all this stuff before getting this Sony A1E OLED. I gotta wonder if the TV tuner is bad.

B&W 685 S2's 2 SVS subs
post #2138 of 2200 Old 01-27-2019, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I just don't understand any of that on that chart as i get none of them chans. I get 3.1 , 8.1 , 10.1 , 13.1 and 28.1. Like i did since 2001. Just that they added more subs over the years. I also get 32.1 and a 44.1 and a 44.2 and a few others chans i deleted. I get Chan 48.1 but not 10.1.
Let's try this, again. The VIRTUAL channel number you SEE on the screen may not be the ACTUAL RF channel the station is broadcasting on. You have to know the REAL channel to troubleshoot issues. Your TV tunes channel 7, but displays it as 8 since that's the identifier WFLA has used since the analog days. They're going to move to real channel 9, next year. You'll need to rescan your TV at that time, but it'll still display 8. So, best to stick with CALL LETTERS. when discussing reception issues. Got it?

Quote:
Is there any Service that installs a ANT anymore?
Doubt it. There's no money in it as every situation is different. You'd have to do a site evaluation, then install your "best guess" as to what would work. If it doesn't work, the customer would want a refund. I've hired people to install an antenna because I didn't feel like spending all day on a steeply pitched roof. The installer wouldn't do it unless I'd already researched and purchased the antenna. They would only warranty the physical installation, not the performance. Basically, I paid for the labor, which was fine for me. But for the general public, that arrangement won't work. Nobody's forking out $200-300 for an antenna installation that might or might not work to their expectations. Plus, here in FL, you have all kinds of other issues.. homeowner associations, tile roofs, etc. You can call Jersey Jim Towers down on 19 and ASK, though. They might know someone.

Quote:
Just moving all this stuff out from my bedroom wall in a pain to get behind. I never had trouble with all this stuff before getting this Sony A1E OLED. I gotta wonder if the TV tuner is bad.
If the problems started the day you hooked up the A1E, then that's possible. An easy way to check is to swap in another television at the same location.

Oh, and I have you beat in the wiring department. I have five televisions on one wall with an HTPC, DirecTV receiver, a blu-ray player, Chromecast.. and antenna cabling and Cat 5 run to nearly all of that. Plus the AVR and 5.1 speakers. It's going to be a mess moving it all out when it's time to replace the flooring, this year.

post #2139 of 2200 Old 01-27-2019, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I had someone come out and install a Ant back in 04 for like $400 and it worked perfect until about two years ago when the cable coating came apart due to weather all them years.

I posted a pic but it never did show up for some reason.

B&W 685 S2's 2 SVS subs
post #2140 of 2200 Old 01-27-2019, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator

Florida sun is notoriously hard on things. If you can access the antenna without risking a limb, replacing coax is relatively easy. Weatherproofing takes a little work. And be ready to do it, again, in a few years.

post #2141 of 2200 Old 01-27-2019, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 153
I think the discussion is going the right direction as to what you should do. I would heavily bet on it being a connection issue, deterioration of cables and connectors etc over a new interference though that is not impossible. If you are using an AMP that too could be causing an issue with age or it's power supply.

I don't readily see anyone advertising they install antennas and equipment either other than some dubious sites that try to look local but I'm not so sure. But Angie's list I think does have a couple not sure what areas they will serve.
post #2142 of 2200 Old 01-27-2019, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Florida sun is notoriously hard on things. If you can access the antenna without risking a limb, replacing coax is relatively easy. Weatherproofing takes a little work. And be ready to do it, again, in a few years.
I just replaced the ANt and cable less that 2 years ago. I may put the smaller ANt back up. Still don't add up why 10.1 stopped working out of the blue. The tower used to be in Tarpon springs and you did not even need a Ant to pick chan 10 up.

B&W 685 S2's 2 SVS subs
post #2143 of 2200 Old 01-27-2019, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator

Let's be clear, you've lost WTSP and all its subchannels and you lose WFLA and WTTA when you power up your amp. Correct? Let's stick to call letters and not channel numbers, please.

Might be silly, but I'm going to assume you've done a simple rescan.

post #2144 of 2200 Old 01-27-2019, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
I just can't get 10 anymore. Or anythime i power up my AVR for my OPPO players i can't get 8 or it's subs. I have the Ant cable running thru a Monster HTS36000. So i don't know what is going on. Maybe they built some tower between me and the towers in Riverview.

I get break up on all chans. I wonder if my cable outside it bad again after less than 2 years or the 2022 Ant is bad. I had better luck with a much smaller Ant before
buying the 2022.
I don't use any traps or power boosters.

Just wished there was a company that could install something that works for me. I looked in my phone book and can't find any company that will install a ANT.

Chan 28 and it's subs are fine for me. But why would 10 and it's subs just stop working out of the blue?
(813) 782-7041. Huston's TV in Zephyrhills installs antenna systems.
post #2145 of 2200 Old 01-27-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Let's try this, again. The VIRTUAL channel number you SEE on the screen may not be the ACTUAL RF channel the station is broadcasting on. You have to know the REAL channel to troubleshoot issues. Your TV tunes channel 7, but displays it as 8 since that's the identifier WFLA has used since the analog days. They're going to move to real channel 9, next year. You'll need to rescan your TV at that time, but it'll still display 8. So, best to stick with CALL LETTERS. when discussing reception issues. Got it?

Doubt it. There's no money in it as every situation is different. You'd have to do a site evaluation, then install your "best guess" as to what would work. If it doesn't work, the customer would want a refund. I've hired people to install an antenna because I didn't feel like spending all day on a steeply pitched roof. The installer wouldn't do it unless I'd already researched and purchased the antenna. They would only warranty the physical installation, not the performance. Basically, I paid for the labor, which was fine for me. But for the general public, that arrangement won't work. Nobody's forking out $200-300 for an antenna installation that might or might not work to their expectations. Plus, here in FL, you have all kinds of other issues.. homeowner associations, tile roofs, etc. You can call Jersey Jim Towers down on 19 and ASK, though. They might know someone.

If the problems started the day you hooked up the A1E, then that's possible. An easy way to check is to swap in another television at the same location.

Oh, and I have you beat in the wiring department. I have five televisions on one wall with an HTPC, DirecTV receiver, a blu-ray player, Chromecast.. and antenna cabling and Cat 5 run to nearly all of that. Plus the AVR and 5.1 speakers. It's going to be a mess moving it all out when it's time to replace the flooring, this year.
Huston's TV IN Z'hills installs antennas. 813-782-7041.
post #2146 of 2200 Old 01-27-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozey45 View Post
(813) 782-7041. Huston's TV in Zephyrhills installs antenna systems.
Channel 10 actually uses channel 10 to transmit its signal. Chanel's 3, 8 and 13 also use VHF. Maybe something's happened to the VHF part. Of your antenna.
post #2147 of 2200 Old 01-27-2019, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Channel 10 actually uses channel 10 to transmit its signal. Chanel's 3, 8 and 13 also use VHF. Maybe something's happened to the VHF part. Of your antenna.
But i get 13.1 and all the subs perfect all the time. That is my best chans. 3.1 and the subs work fine 99% of the time. Some nites i get blocking or drop outs. It looks like it is pointing right. Back in the early 80's the Ant pole would twist around in the wind when i lived in Tampa.

B&W 685 S2's 2 SVS subs
post #2148 of 2200 Old 01-28-2019, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampa8 View Post
I think the discussion is going the right direction as to what you should do. I would heavily bet on it being a connection issue, deterioration of cables and connectors etc over a new interference though that is not impossible. If you are using an AMP that too could be causing an issue with age or it's power supply.

I don't readily see anyone advertising they install antennas and equipment either other than some dubious sites that try to look local but I'm not so sure. But Angie's list I think does have a couple not sure what areas they will serve.
For the third time on this site , Huston's TV in Zephyrhills does install antenna systems. They were in my neighborhood in Pasco last week. A neighbor is having a system installed.
post #2149 of 2200 Old 01-28-2019, 03:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Let's be clear, you've lost WTSP and all its subchannels and you lose WFLA and WTTA when you power up your amp. Correct? Let's stick to call letters and not channel numbers, please.

Might be silly, but I'm going to assume you've done a simple rescan.
I will do a rescan when i install my new sub woofer this week once i roll the stand away from the wall and hook the cable direct into the A1E. I don't even remember how to do a scan on this tv as i tried everything with the remote and i can't find the right menu to do a scan.

B&W 685 S2's 2 SVS subs
post #2150 of 2200 Old 01-28-2019, 03:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
For the third time on this site , Huston's TV in Zephyrhills does install antenna systems. They were in my neighborhood in Pasco last week. A neighbor is having a system installed.
I will call them. I think I need a higher ANT.
bozey45 likes this.

B&W 685 S2's 2 SVS subs
post #2151 of 2200 Old 01-28-2019, 05:30 AM

Quote:
I will call them. I think I need a higher ANT.
Hopefully they can help. They've been here in Pasco for years. A telescoping mast I bought there solved my reception problems here in Wesley Chapel back even prior to the didgital switch in 2009.
post #2152 of 2200 Old 01-31-2019, 05:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hopefully they can help. They've been here in Pasco for years. A telescoping mast I bought there solved my reception problems here in Wesley Chapel back even prior to the didgital switch in 2009.
I am gonna call them today. Not getting anything below Chan 28.1 this AM. I think the connector got wet up on the Ant and has got worse over time. I don't even have a ladder to get up on the roof and one is not gonna fit in my Corvette if i go buy one. Gave them a call. Looks like they will be out in a week or so and redo whatever needs to be redone. New subwoofer is coming today and i moved the tv stand from the wall and bypassed the Monster HTS3600 and now everything works fine.

B&W 685 S2's 2 SVS subs

Last edited by CHASLS2; 01-31-2019 at 06:23 AM.
post #2153 of 2200 Old 02-02-2019, 03:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Everything is rock solid now that i hooked the cable into my TV. Now when i power up the AVR and cable box channels don't go out and no more drop outs.

B&W 685 S2's 2 SVS subs
post #2154 of 2200 Old 02-02-2019, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator

Time to pitch that Monster power doodad or relegate it to non AV uses. If it's introducing interference, then its caps are likely fried and the next lightning static could go right into your stuff.

I don't use the things, myself. My antenna lines go through a powered 1X10 amp which will vaporize long before any static gets to my devices. Antenna's in the attic, so that helps, too.

All of my AV gear goes through UPS boxes of varying sizes. Better protection than the Monster strips plus battery backup so nothing has to reboot as a result of flickering or unstable power during our frequent storms. I highly recommend going that route over ordinary power strips. Just know that, either way, the storms we get in Florida will cook them, eventually and you might not even know it.

post #2155 of 2200 Old 02-02-2019, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Time to pitch that Monster power doodad or relegate it to non AV uses. If it's introducing interference, then its caps are likely fried and the next lightning static could go right into your stuff.

I don't use the things, myself. My antenna lines go through a powered 1X10 amp which will vaporize long before any static gets to my devices. Antenna's in the attic, so that helps, too.

All of my AV gear goes through UPS boxes of varying sizes. Better protection than the Monster strips plus battery backup so nothing has to reboot as a result of flickering or unstable power during our frequent storms. I highly recommend going that route over ordinary power strips. Just know that, either way, the storms we get in Florida will cook them, eventually and you might not even know it.
Also found out my Acurus Amp lost it's right channel when i ran a recal Friday with my my AVR. So it is toast.

B&W 685 S2's 2 SVS subs
post #2156 of 2200 Old 05-26-2019, 10:48 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Question WTBT/45 - Audio only now? Any one else... h264 video?

Any one getting video on CH45/WTBT???

My ViewTV's 150 & 263 and the Vizio NO LONGER GET video. JUST AUDIO... The vizio throws up " Not Support" but plays the audio.

These ALL RECEIVED this fine in the past. I use 45 as sort of way to gauge performance, although when it moves to 8, likely won't be receivable, as the antenna patterns shows me to be in a null then. Guess jewelry hawking is worth more in Pinellas.

The HD HomeRun Quad (NON TRANSCODING!) WILL STILL SHOW VIDEO.

SCANNING: 659000000 (us-bcast:45)
LOCK: 8vsb (ss=77 snq=55 seq=100)
TSID: 0x0001
PROGRAM 2: 0

The PSIP on this channel has ALWAYS been WHACK.

Appears that the STREAM IS NOW h.264 on the video side, and most stuff doesn't support that. Thats how AirBox hid in clear view, H264 along with what ever its encryption was, AES256.

No, can't run TSREADER, Linux only here.

Best I got is VLC to spit out its codex info... image attached.... Unfortunately I don't have a reference from the past...

Every other channel appears to be MPEG1/2 from the info...

Maybe if I find some spare time I will run the coax to the Sony TV and see what it does with it... I use the HDHome run to it.. but the ViewTV and Vizio definitely don't like h264 video. Which is interesting since I do play MKV's on the ViewTV's via USB stick...hmmmm... any way...

Any one got a TV or box with h264 support that gets WTBT????
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wtbt.png
Views:	12
Size:	283.3 KB
ID:	2572066  

Notice: I no longer provide assistance in re OTA antenna and RF related queries.
post #2157 of 2200 Old 05-26-2019, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampBayOTA View Post
Any one getting video on CH45/WTBT???
I have TSReader, but I'm too far out, I guess. Won't lock and I don't know if I've ever got a lock on them with any TV. Sorry.

post #2158 of 2200 Old 05-27-2019, 04:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I will have to see about CHAN 45. Never looked for it.

B&W 685 S2's 2 SVS subs
post #2159 of 2200 Old 07-11-2019, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 27
DECADES (OTA) returning to Tampa soon

Some time ago I made electronic "friends" with a gentleman in the Tampa market.
And that's a very long way from where I live!

For several months we've commiserated about the lack of the DECADES diginet on any available OTA sub-channels in our respective viewing areas.

That's going to change -- and relatively soon!

For those of you who care about OTA signals in the Tampa area, this posting came my way yesterday, as posted in the MSP [Minneapolis/St.Paul] version of these AVS threads 'Local HDTV Info and Reception.'

Since it doesn't appear that my friend will be joining this forum any time soon, I thought it worthwhile to copy the info into THIS thread, FWIW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
DECADES coming back to Minneapolis in the fall...as a sub on FOX

https://deadline.com/2019/07/fox-tel...rk-1202644017/

Beginning in Q3 2019, Weigel Broadcasting Co.’s DECADES television network will be carried on Fox-owned stations in 12 major markets as part of a multi-year agreement with Fox Television Stations, LLC.

The deal ups the network’s U.S. coverage to 60% with 65 television affiliates nationwide.
Decades will launch on FOX stations in New York, Los Angeles, Dallas, San Francisco, Houston, Atlanta, Tampa, Phoenix, Detroit, Minneapolis, Austin and Gainesville.

"In the choice between changing ones mind and proving there's no need to do so, most people get busy on the proof." - John Kenneth Galbraith

Last edited by MadmanR; 07-11-2019 at 10:57 AM.
post #2160 of 2200 Old 07-11-2019, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 64
13 already has 5 channels. What is Decades going to replace? Will there be 6?

Genuine HD via ATSC and BUD satellite DVB.
Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page