Huntsville, AL - HDTV - Page 104 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 25Likes

post #3091 of 3113 Old 10-13-2019, 06:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is anyone else having reception problems on WAFF? All the other locals come in strong except that one (minus CW, I'm too far away to receive that one)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3092 of 3113 Old 10-28-2019, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Get TV now on 38.3

W17DJ (RF 34) is now showing Get TV on 38.3. It was previously an infomercial channel. It mainly shows classic TV shows owned by Sony Pictures. Some shows featured on the channel include: Hot in Cleveland, Married with Children, Sanford and Son, and others.

On a side note, the Birmingham/Tuscaloosa areas were good for tropo ducting earlier. I was able to pick up channel 33 (H&I, Decades, Start) around 2 pm this afternoon from Southern TN. At that time, I could only get the channel in sudden bursts for about 5 minutes before breaking up.
post #3093 of 3113 Old 11-06-2019, 11:01 AM

Liked: 1
Waff

Quote:
Originally Posted by freqx View Post
Is anyone else having reception problems on WAFF? All the other locals come in strong except that one (minus CW, I'm too far away to receive that one)
Yes I have experienced pixilation trouble on all the WAFF 48 channels. Seemed a little better this morning. It has always been the "iffy" one out of Huntsville.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3094 of 3113 Old 11-06-2019, 11:14 AM

W17dj-d warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyarbrough0910 View Post
W17DJ (RF 34) is now showing Get TV on 38.3. It was previously an infomercial channel. It mainly shows classic TV shows owned by Sony Pictures. Some shows featured on the channel include: Hot in Cleveland, Married with Children, Sanford and Son, and others.

WARNING: Channel 38.1 and all 5 subs are broadcasting with time/date data set 3 days and 10 years in error.!! If you use a digital converter box with recording feature, this will contaminate your "timed events" schedule. When the box pings 38.1 the firmware picks up the erroneous date/time and changes ALL events of ALL channels to record/view in the year 2029.!! Leelbox, Mediasonic and RCA boxes that I tested were all affected by this boo-boo. 3ABN says they don't own the station any more. Drove me crazy for a few days. Even tho I have been anxious for Huntsville to provide GET TV, I had to delete 38 from my channel list.
post #3095 of 3113 Old 11-06-2019, 04:53 PM

No Issues on My End

I've got a Mediasonic HomeWorx HW-150PVR that I use as a tuner only since it's more modern and sensitive at tuning in low signal channels than my TV. I haven't noticed any issues with those channels. I don't use it to record since it cuts out every 5-10 minutes during a recording with a few seconds of pixelation. I wish there was a $30-$40 solution that would do a perfect recording, but I think all of those cheap set top receivers suffer from that problem. I use a Philips DVD/HDD DVR recorder from 2007 for any recordings. It still works fine after all these years, but the recording quality is 480i only.
post #3096 of 3113 Old 11-06-2019, 05:00 PM

I do see the timing issues on those channels, but when I flip to other channels, all of them appear to have the correct time and scheduling in the guide. When I go to set up a recording, it shows the correct time for the show to prepare for the scheduled recording. It could be the case that you need a new firmware for your receiver to get it to work correctly. Mediasonic has a forum where you can request updated firmware for different models. I think they request a serial number to make sure you get the exact software that your box uses.
post #3097 of 3113 Old 11-06-2019, 07:12 PM

Check again.!

Quote:
I do see the timing issues on those channels, but when I flip to other channels, all of them appear to have the correct time and scheduling in the guide. When I go to set up a recording, it shows the correct time for the show to prepare for the scheduled recording. It could be the case that you need a new firmware for your receiver to get it to work correctly. Mediasonic has a forum where you can request updated firmware for different models. I think they request a serial number to make sure you get the exact software that your box uses.
If you overlooked it, I did check 3 different brands, all brand new, all caught the bug. Looks to me like they all use the same firmware with only slight differences. Since you don't record, set up a timed event schedule for "daily" and select "view" instead of record. Select a few different channels (do not include 38.1 or subs) to view at different times, then look at your timed event schedule 24 hours later. I rarely record but love the scheduled "viewing". Sittin' here with my head somewhere else, the TV jumps to my favorite shows without me thinkin' about it. My schedule: 4:00am/54.3 Highway Patrol, 4:30am/48.1 news/weather, 5:00am/54.1 Ag Day, 5:30am/48.1 more news, 6:00am/54.3 Beverly Hillbillies, then to work.! 5:00pm/54.3 Flintstones(grandkids!), 6:00pm/48.3 a western, 8:30pm/54.3 Green Acres, 9:00pm/19.3 Johnny Carson, 10:00pm/54.3 Carol Burnett. All this and I never touch the remote.!! Deleting 38 got me back to normal.
post #3098 of 3113 Old 11-07-2019, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I live in Southwest Huntsville, almost to Triana. I'd like to add antennas for locals, but I'm restricted to attic installation by the HOA. I know channel 15, The CW, is now on RF channel 2. Does someone know of a high gain antenna just for channel 2 or low VHF? AFAIK, none of the other locals are on low VHF.

I'd also like antenna recommendations to pick up the rest of the locals, particularly 48.

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk
post #3099 of 3113 Old 11-07-2019, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1661 Post(s)
Liked: 702
Assuming you own your roof, the HOA cannot prevent you from installing a roof antenna. See here: https://www.fcc.gov/media/over-air-r...n-devices-rule

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #3100 of 3113 Old 11-07-2019, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
Assuming you own your roof, the HOA cannot prevent you from installing a roof antenna. See here: https://www.fcc.gov/media/over-air-r...n-devices-rule

- Trip
Yeah, I'm still baffled that HOA's try to do that.

Vizio P65-C1 (2016)
Onkyo Tx-NR656
JBL Studio Series (Front, Center, Right), JBL 250W Sub, Kenwood Rears, Onkyo Atmos Upfiring
LG UP970 UHD Player
Nvidia Shield TV
post #3101 of 3113 Old 11-07-2019, 05:38 PM

Got it. Still would like antenna recommendations.

post #3102 of 3113 Old 11-07-2019, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonlowe View Post
Got it. Still would like antenna recommendations.

Most of the transmitters are located atop Monte Sano mountain. Look outside, if you can see the blinking lights on the mountain from your house, a coat hanger should do the trick.!! LOL.! I would test one of the flat indoor antennas stuck to a window on the Monte Sano side of the house, it may make you and the neighbors happy.
post #3103 of 3113 Old 11-11-2019, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Does anyone have an idea of when 15.1 will get a new antenna or up there tower. I can't even get a blip from them. I used to get a SS in the 80s. I live on the bluff of sand mountain with a clear view.
post #3104 of 3113 Old 11-11-2019, 08:40 PM

https://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?facid=65128 According to this, it seems that they aren't planning to do anything else with their antenna or tower. Did you get the signal after they moved to the lower VHF band in Spring?
post #3105 of 3113 Old 11-11-2019, 11:34 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
https://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?facid=65128 According to this, it seems that they aren't planning to do anything else with their antenna or tower. Did you get the signal after they moved to the lower VHF band in Spring?
I only have a 4 bay bowtie antenna. It wont pick up low VHF channels. I thought all stations were going digital not going the other way.
post #3106 of 3113 Old 11-12-2019, 08:41 AM

The FCC had an auction to allow those that wanted to sell their frequency to do so. WHDF sold RF 15 and went with a VHF Low frequency assigned to them by the FCC. There were 3 options: Sell and moved to High VHF for 1/3 reward, sell and move to VHF Low for 2/3 reward, or sell and go off air or use someone else's signal for the full reward. They took the option that allowed them to still broadcast on their own while getting the biggest reward. I've got an 8-bay antenna and can occasionally get their signal. I have to point my antenna straight at them to get any signal. Sometimes I'll get a flawless picture, and sometimes pointing it directly at the station, I'll get a picture with intermittent blocks. VHF Low RF 2 has all kinds of issues. I've heard that all kinds of things in the environment can cause problems with that signal. I read of an account of a guy who couldn't get RF 2 due to a dirty power line filter outside of his home.
post #3107 of 3113 Old 11-12-2019, 09:17 AM

Jyarbrough, where do you live? Sounds like I don't stand a chance getting a signal in southwest HSV, near Triana.

post #3108 of 3113 Old 11-12-2019, 09:41 AM

I live in Southern Lincoln County. I can point my antenna exactly West and pick up the station. Like I said, it's not 100% perfect all the time. If I wanted to get it 100%, I'd put up a boom antenna. Since most of the stations in the nearby markets use UHF or Hi-VHF, it's not worth the hassle or investment for me to put up one that's designed just for that signal. I was able to pick up the CW channel out of Nashville just by aiming mine North, but since the repack happened in that market, all of the stations in that area that moved are still operating on low power.
post #3109 of 3113 Old 11-12-2019, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
The FCC had an auction to allow those that wanted to sell their frequency to do so. WHDF sold RF 15 and went with a VHF Low frequency assigned to them by the FCC. There were 3 options: Sell and moved to High VHF for 1/3 reward, sell and move to VHF Low for 2/3 reward, or sell and go off air or use someone else's signal for the full reward. They took the option that allowed them to still broadcast on their own while getting the biggest reward. I've got an 8-bay antenna and can occasionally get their signal. I have to point my antenna straight at them to get any signal. Sometimes I'll get a flawless picture, and sometimes pointing it directly at the station, I'll get a picture with intermittent blocks. VHF Low RF 2 has all kinds of issues. I've heard that all kinds of things in the environment can cause problems with that signal. I read of an account of a guy who couldn't get RF 2 due to a dirty power line filter outside of his home.

I live on 1.5 acres just outside of town. A little over a year ago the electric utility company replaced the halogen dusk-to-dawn security light with an LED light. I have an HD Homerun tuner that runs as an autologger and I can see on the channel 2 activity graph exactly when the LED switches on at night and goes off in the morning. I don't have an RF 2 signal locally, but I can imagine if I did I would be having problems when that light is on. I've logged 6 different channel 2 DTV's during the summer E-skip season, but that's during the daytime when the LED is off.

Jim
Tom Servo likes this.

Antennas - Antennacraft MXU59 UHF antenna & home-brew version of Antennacraft VHF Y-10-7-13 antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Channel Master 7777 30dB pre-amp.
Tuners - Zenith DTT901 converter box; AirSpy HF+ sdr; Silicon Dust HDHomerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.
post #3110 of 3113 Old 12-02-2019, 09:08 PM

WAFF 48.3 Circle

WAFF just updated their line-up to include a new channel on 48.3 called Circle. It's supposed to be a channel themed around the Grand Ole Opry. From my understanding, it's not expected to start broadcasting until Spring of next year. I don't know why they jumped the gun and inserted that graphic. It's actually still broadcasting GRIT TV in the background if you look closely where the background doesn't completely cover the screen. If your closed captions are turned on, those are still coming through from GRIT as well.

GRIT got moved to 48.5, so you might have to rescan your TV to see it again. Again, I don't know why they pushed forward with this move. It seems like such a waste of bandwidth since 48.2,.3, and .4 have been severely starved of bandwidth. As an example of this, I was watching Airplane 2 the other day on LAFF, and the scene where the plane goes chaotic (because there was no coffee left on the plane) turned into one big blob of blockiness. You couldn't even see a thing until it changed to another scene.
post #3111 of 3113 Old 12-03-2019, 06:30 PM

Circle..?

Quote:
WAFF just updated their line-up to include a new channel on 48.3 called Circle. It's supposed to be a channel themed around the Grand Ole Opry. From my understanding, it's not expected to start broadcasting until Spring of next year.....
Where did you find the "Circle" info. I’ve been googlin' all evening and found nothing on it..! I agree ☝️ about jumping the gun. Seems like OTA is gaining a little ground with broadcasters taking advantage of their additional sub channel possibilities.

FYI:
I spent several days communicating with the parent company regarding 38's erroneous time/date issue.
It took a note to the FCC Enforcement Division Regional Office to get the time/date issue fixed. I cc'd the station owner in the note. They even checked with me to be sure it was corrected..!! Now all my timed events are working perfectly.
post #3112 of 3113 Old 12-03-2019, 07:27 PM

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/a-ne...ing-next-year/
This explains information about the Circle TV channel. Glad you got that issue with 38 resolved.
Tom Servo likes this.
post #3113 of 3113 Old 12-03-2019, 08:30 PM

Thank you.

Quote:
https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/a-ne...ing-next-year/
This explains information about the Circle TV channel. Glad you got that issue with 38 resolved.
👍👍
jyarbrough0910 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page