Huntsville, AL - HDTV - Page 99 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 23Likes

post #2941 of 3109 Old 05-27-2015, 11:20 AM
DLK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hornfeck View Post
I'm not understanding your coax dilemma. If you have a PC and are thinking of using a HDHomeRun Prime, where does the coax figure in? Once you turn in the cable boxes and rent a cablecard ($1.95 ~ 2.00/mo) they'll give you a $7~8/mo credit.
Sorry about the confusion. It was past my bedtime. <g> I'm talking about two different plans-of-action here.

CURRENTLY:
The cable enters the house and runs thru a splitter. One port attaches to a 8-port distribution amp that subsequently drives any cable boxes, the other connects to the cable modem for bidirectional Internet traffic.

One cable box services a standard HDTV in the den. This one currently works OK.
The other cable box is intended to service the HTPC/projector in the media room. I'm currently trying to feed it through an existing run of RG-6 that was originally installed for another purpose. It's convenient because it runs between the HDTV den location and the HTPC location. I put a splitter (4dB loss) by the HDTV to split the signal between the HDTV and the projector.

ONE POSSIBILTY:
If I make a new run, I can feed the projector with a signal directly from an unused port on the distribution amp (ie., no splitter). I already have the HDMI switch and audio extractor to make this set-up work. (I have to switch the projector between the HTPC and the cable box, as WOW has ensured that it's difficult to get any HD content into a PC). Downside is that working in the crawl space is difficult since last summer when I received injuries in an auto accident.

ANOTHER POSSIBILITY:
Lose the cable box on the HTPC, replace it with a Silicon Dust/CableCard LAN resource and let the HTPC handle television duties over the LAN. This would simplify things, plus allow other PCs on the LAN to receive cable TV. Also, it may allow DVR functionality to be regained (does decrypted QAM have copy protection bit(s) in the bitstream?). Downside is the expense of the Silicon Dust equipment (which is not that much) and having to deal with WOW technical support. Also, I'll need to keep one cable box as the HDTV has no mechanism that I'm aware of for streaming content off a LAN (can a Roku 3 box do this?)

Quote:
You must have a bunch o' services since their pricing is: $65 for cable & 4mbps, add $15 phone = $80/mo unless you want more speed, $10 gets you 15mbps. Then there's the cost for extra cable boxes and/or DVRs? Hmmm... having a hard time getting to $157/mo. or are they working your prices down from $210 (whereas a new customer is calculated up from $65 ($60 in my case))?
I don't know - I don't think I have a bunch of services (Expanded Basic, no premium movie channels, phone, fast internet (better than 12Gbits/sec), price includes taxes and 'not-a-tax' taxes). The cable boxes are still free until the two year timeout is up.

I got Knology services in the lats '90s when I needed high-speed internet for work (they picked up the tab). This was internet only - no cable TV. several years later, my original landline provider, BellSouth, took six days to fix the phone (lightning had popped their fuse in the their side of the customer box. That irritated me enough to look into Knology's phone service. I discovered that I could get a cable/internet/phone bundle and lose BellSouth, only paying about $15 a month more than I was paying Knology and BellSouth combined. So I switched.

Prices have reflected the market, particularly due to providers passing on licensing fees for content I don't watch (sports, etc.). I suspect that most broadband provides take advantage of current customers' tendency to leave well enough alone. I've also never been particularly good at haggling, which is apparently what you need to deal with them.

I'm not particularly impressed with WOW, especially since they canned usenet. If I go the CableCard route, I may try to get some more price concessions.

-Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2942 of 3109 Old 05-27-2015, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 21
One 4dB splitter shouldn't be killing your signal off of a distribution amp! Maybe your signal at the input to your amp isn't up to snuff.

I use WMC since it does DRM for the Prime (cablecard) tuning and it works great! I'm not sure why you fear working w/WOW on the cablecard but once it's setup/registered it just works. I also question why you said that "WOW has ensured that it's difficult to get any HD content into a PC" What's that supposed to mean? I can tune, watch, record and playback any channel I'm subscribed to just fine in one or more PCs on my LAN. Sure, HD uses 6-8GB/hour to record on your HDD, but a 4TB HDD is $130 these days.

I don't do Roku but their site indicates they all (1, 2, 3) do streaming. Besides, you could grab an old PC, Win 7 (to include WMC) and you'd be set! Sure, the cable company and content owners can set their broadcast flags to do DRM, copy once, etc., but if you're playing back on the same PC you recorded there's no problem!
post #2943 of 3109 Old 08-09-2015, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 19
WHNT All the way in Nashville!!

Hey folks. I have a clearsteam2v with a rdio shack amp. I was able to get WHNT at my house that is just south of Nashville. I got it Friday night and watched 19.2 all night. Today, I can't get it at all. Does anyone have any idea how I can lock onto the signal again? I would have never thought I could get it to begin with. I hav ebeen hoping Nashville would get Antenna TV so I was thrilled to have it, if at least for one night.

Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2944 of 3109 Old 08-11-2015, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Tropospheric Ducting

Sounds like you hit a period of intense tropospheric ducting. I would try again tonight to see if you receive the channel. I think a cold front is supposed to be coming through. When those types of events occur, it usually makes it more efficient to receive the signal. I live in southern TN near the state line with Alabama. I can usually receive WKRN around night-fall, but it goes out during the daytime. The cooling down period of the night-time helps with the signal propagation along with any changes regarding weather fronts. In the late 00's, I was able to pull in Lexington, KY and Chicago, IL for around a few minutes at best. I think the normal range for signal propagation is around 60 miles.
post #2945 of 3109 Old 09-03-2015, 03:39 PM

WAAY QVC Subchannel

The other night, I just decided to scan for channels on a whim and got a channel on both 31.3 and 32.3 that said "WAAYQVC". I hope WAAY isn't going to waste bandwidth on broadcasting QVC on another sub-channel. If they're going to take bandwidth from their main channel, they should do something of entertainment value, not a shopping channel.
post #2946 of 3109 Old 09-03-2015, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyarbrough0910 View Post
The other night, I just decided to scan for channels on a whim and got a channel on both 31.3 and 32.3 that said "WAAYQVC". I hope WAAY isn't going to waste bandwidth on broadcasting QVC on another sub-channel. If they're going to take bandwidth from their main channel, they should do something of entertainment value, not a shopping channel.
Was there any programming on the channels, or were they blank?

I understand QVC is now being fed to a few OTA broadcasters across the US now for some reason.
post #2947 of 3109 Old 09-04-2015, 05:59 AM

Blank

Both channels are blank right now, but if they've got QVC in the title, I'm sure they're planning on rolling it out soon.
post #2948 of 3109 Old 09-04-2015, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyarbrough0910 View Post
Both channels are blank right now, but if they've got QVC in the title, I'm sure they're planning on rolling it out soon.
According to the e-mail a friend forwarded me, they're in the process of working out the technical details and it should be online full time by next week.
post #2949 of 3109 Old 09-06-2015, 12:17 PM

QVC is Live on 31.3

I tuned in to 31.3 to find that it's now live with QVC. I still think it's a waste of bandwidth. It would be better to have a comedy or movie channel on there. Who wants to tune in to a home shopping channel?
post #2950 of 3109 Old 09-08-2015, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 100
From what I hear, home shopping via TV is still a MASSIVE revenue generator. I wonder if they get a small share of revenue by broadcasting it OTA?

..dane
post #2951 of 3109 Old 09-08-2015, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodane View Post
From what I hear, home shopping via TV is still a MASSIVE revenue generator. I wonder if they get a small share of revenue by broadcasting it OTA?

..dane
That's certainly true, Dane.

It wouldn't surprise me if they are getting a cut of the pie. QVC and the other shop at home channels pay to be on cable and satellite, which is why I do a little facepalm now when I see someone complaining about how they pay $200 a month and get a bunch of barker channels hawking stuff.

Of course, paying to be on, say, DirecTV, means reaching tens of millions of potential viewers. I wouldn't think the setup would pay off for OTA since so few supposedly watch with an antenna anymore. Or maybe Huntsville is unique and has a lot of cord-cutters?
post #2952 of 3109 Old 09-08-2015, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Cord cutting is getting to be bigger and bigger. And after getting a notice from WOW today that my bill is going up another $15/month, I'm seriously looking at it again.
post #2953 of 3109 Old 09-08-2015, 09:23 PM

Liked: 13
Do my eyes deceive me or is WHNT no longer stretching AntennaTV?
post #2954 of 3109 Old 09-09-2015, 07:22 AM

Just checked. Not stretched! Yay!
post #2955 of 3109 Old 09-09-2015, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by torque91 View Post
Do my eyes deceive me or is WHNT no longer stretching AntennaTV?
I first noticed it last night. It’s about time! I was so tired of manually changing the aspect ratio.
post #2956 of 3109 Old 09-10-2015, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Guys,
I'm having some trouble here in SW Decatur and was hoping maybe I can get some input here...

I recently purchased an outdoor antenna after cutting the cord a couple months ago. I pulled up tvfool and the following results:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...8e03452347c05e

I went with this antenna, as it looked to cover the range needed for the basic channels I'd like to get:
http://www.amazon.com/RCA-Compact-Ou...agi+tv+antenna

Problem is, I'm not picking up channels like I had expected.

Basic info:
I mounted the antenna on my roof, about 12 ft off the ground, in place of the DirecTV satellite. Pretty easy swap.
The existing cabling was used as well, which runs the following path via RG6/U (not sure if this is quad shield or not):
Antenna <-(20 ft)-> grounding block (this one exactly) <-(2ft)-> brick wall <-(40ft)-> attic 4-way splitter <-(30ft)-> main TV*
*I have more TVs I'd like to use but am wired up to only one right now

Using tvfool's results, I live about 32 miles out and 64 degrees from the main broadcast stations: WAFF-48, WHNT-19, WAAY-31, WZDX-54.
Therefore, I have tried aiming the antenna anywhere from 61 - 74 degrees.
The sightline is, for the most part, clear, as I live in a cleared out subdivision. Though, there are trees in that direction further away from my home.
I run the autosearch feature on my Samsung TV.

My issues are the following:
  • No matter what, I cannot pick up WAFF (48.1). It doesn't matter what the azimuth is.
  • I cannot reliably pick up the other 3 main channels at the same time: WHNT-19, WAAY-31, WZDX-54. I typically keep WHNT-19 but trade off either 31 or 54. Even within a small 3 degree window, these two channels are trading out. This boggles my mind... 31 & 54 both have the same azimuth and relatively the same power. If anything, I'd expect to lose 19.

Do I need to shorten my run and try this in the attic (though, with the Tyvek thermal shield I have, I don't expect much to get through the roof)?
Do I need to try an amplifier on the antenna?
Do I need to mount this antenna higher?
Buy a more powerful antenna?

It's worth noting that I just realized there's a spectrograph display available on tvfool. In general, it seems I'm on the edge of green/purple for the stations mentioned above.

Anyone else happen to be in my area and seem to have these problems at all?

Thanks for any input,
Erin

--------------------------------------------------------------------

If you like speaker science, have a look at my website:
www.medleysmusings.com

- Erin

Last edited by bikinpunk; 09-10-2015 at 10:06 AM.
post #2957 of 3109 Old 09-11-2015, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'd try a CATV drop amp. We used to use those when I worked at WOW. Some we used were one input/4output and can be powered through one of the coaxial outputs using a wall wart and an inserter. If your attic is not that hot you could put it in place of the splitter. Or you can run the antenna line to your cable demarcation point at the side of the house, mount the drop amp there and use your house prewires to carry signal to the monitor/tuner locations.

Back when I used to keep up with this WAFF had much lower power than the others. Not sure if that's still the case.

Best of luck!

-g
post #2958 of 3109 Old 09-11-2015, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

WAFF runs roughly one tenth the power of WAAY - 48 kW.

Edit: A friend passed along a recommendation for a Wineguard LNA 200 (info) preamp before going with a bigger antenna. He also pointed me to an antenna roundup on that same site that may be of some interest.

Last edited by Tom Servo; 09-12-2015 at 06:45 PM.
post #2959 of 3109 Old 09-13-2015, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Thanks for the input guys! Greatly appreciated.

FWIW, I took a small TV outside and tied it directly in to the antenna today. I got all the channels I expected with great clarity, including WAFF!
Now that I know the antenna itself isn't the culprit, it was on to more troubleshooting...

I tried replacing the DTV SWM splitter modules (the 1:2 splitter outside the house and the 1:4 splitter in the attic). Doing this provided me with a couple more channels and resolved my #2 issue mentioned in the OP; I now obtain WHNT, WZDX, and WAAY at the same time.

BUT, still no WAFF.

So, that leaves me with a couple questions. Is a pre-amp or drop amp more applicable here? Or both?
Would it be better to buy a pre-amp that goes near the antenna (such as the winegard Tom posted) and use a generic splitter in the attic for the other TVs, or should I also consider ordering an amplified splitter (g, is this a drop amp) like this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...WWK2WNVN6GFV6K

Thanks again for the help, guys.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

If you like speaker science, have a look at my website:
www.medleysmusings.com

- Erin

Last edited by bikinpunk; 09-13-2015 at 10:38 AM.
post #2960 of 3109 Old 09-17-2015, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
MeTV National Feed

In case you were unaware, WZDX is now broadcasting the national feed of MeTV (no more Mayberry RFD substitutions at night). The bug in the corner no longer carries the text “TENNESSEE VALLEY” and the station IDs between shows identify as MeTV out of Chicago.
Tom Servo likes this.
post #2961 of 3109 Old 09-26-2015, 10:43 PM

Liked: 13
Anybody else having trouble with WHNT at the moment? Usually the strongest signal for me up in Middle Tennessee.
post #2962 of 3109 Old 10-10-2015, 09:32 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Waff

48 has never came in good even in the analog broadcast days. I live aprox 50 miles from the Huntsville area and pick up most of the other channels fine........ WAFF always acted as if it had a very narrow signal....... I guess its just under powered as mentioned here
post #2963 of 3109 Old 11-16-2015, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 46
What DVR does WOW offer these days?

What is the quality, storage capacity, etc?

Mr Zoid

A GF that bought me a PS3 and a HD-A2? I'm a lucky man!
post #2964 of 3109 Old 11-16-2015, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member

*facepalm* I called WOW earlier to report getting the copy bit randomly turning on. Either they don't care or they are utterly clueless. *sigh*

Mr Zoid
post #2965 of 3109 Old 11-17-2015, 10:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 100
I don't know what they bundle with but I've used a Tivo with WOW/Knology for over 9 years and love it ...
post #2966 of 3109 Old 11-19-2015, 06:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZoid View Post
What DVR does WOW offer these days?

What is the quality, storage capacity, etc?

Mr Zoid
I've had their Cisco Explorer 8640HDC for about a year with a 1TB external drive connected. I've never filled it up and have probably 50 items recorded - all HD. I think it shows like 45% full, so no worries recording a couple of HD football games or an entire nascar race. I try to remove these larger recordings monthly just for good practice. Quality is awesome IMO.

I understand that they have a new offering which was in test mode when I left. It's called Ultra TV which has one main DVR and satellite boxes throughout the house that feed from the main DVR. I don't plan on getting that any time soon. From what I remember about it, the DVR is also connected to the internet through its own internal cable modem and can be your device for accessing the internet - negating the need for a separate cable modem in your home. Personally, I like having my cable modem / router separate from the cable box. I've seen too many firmware issues with cable boxes after "upgrades".

-g
post #2967 of 3109 Old 01-12-2016, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Background : I live in Madison and have WOW as my cable provider.

In years past I've had a Windows Media Center "PVR" setup, using a Hauppauge HVR-1600 card, and was able to time-shift TV shows.

As Knology/WOW did the transition away from analog cable, to clear QAM and now...encrypted....I lost the ability to DVR anything on cable.

My system still works OK for OTA programs, but now I am wanting to get a DVR working for cable again.

Looked into ULTRA, but not wanting to pay the extra $ for it.
Not interested in TiVO either, for basically the same reason (monthly fees).

From what I've read (posts several months old now) it seems that some WOW customer are happy with Silicon Dust HD Prime and the Cablecard solution?
The current price on the SD HD Prime ($115 on Amazon) is within what I want to spend, and I understand that the Cablecard will cost me about $2/mo from Wow.

I already have small client boxes (Kodi-enabled) that I can use on the two main TVs we use to view time shifted video.

Guess I am just wondering for what I want to do (cheap cable TV PVR) is the Silicon Dust Prime/Cablecard solution the way to go with WOW here in the Huntsville area?

Or is there better more cost efficient solution I should look at?

Thanks!
post #2968 of 3109 Old 01-13-2016, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ks4ua View Post

Guess I am just wondering for what I want to do (cheap cable TV PVR) is the Silicon Dust Prime/Cablecard solution the way to go with WOW here in the Huntsville area?

Thanks!
Yes. This is what Comcast users in HSV have had to do for a few years. I've got an older Silicon Dust Prime that is a 3CC and it works great with MythTV.
post #2969 of 3109 Old 01-22-2016, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks4ua View Post

In years past I've had a Windows Media Center "PVR" setup, using a Hauppauge HVR-1600 card, and was able to time-shift TV shows.

As Knology/WOW did the transition away from analog cable, to clear QAM and now...encrypted....I lost the ability to DVR anything on cable.

My system still works OK for OTA programs, but now I am wanting to get a DVR working for cable again.

Looked into ULTRA, but not wanting to pay the extra $ for it.
Not interested in TiVO either, for basically the same reason (monthly fees).

From what I've read (posts several months old now) it seems that some WOW customer are happy with Silicon Dust HD Prime and the Cablecard solution?
The current price on the SD HD Prime ($115 on Amazon) is within what I want to spend, and I understand that the Cablecard will cost me about $2/mo from Wow.

I already have small client boxes (Kodi-enabled) that I can use on the two main TVs we use to view time shifted video.

Thanks!
I moved into a house in Madison last October and had WOW and used HDHomeRun Primes. Let me just say this, frequently I would lose the stream with a warning that the content was encrypted and could only be viewed by the original source. This would happen on local channels as well as cable networks. It was frustrating enough that we ditched WOW in the end.

Mr Zoid

A GF that bought me a PS3 and a HD-A2? I'm a lucky man!
post #2970 of 3109 Old 01-22-2016, 09:53 AM

I'm having similar problems with WOW. I'm using a cable card with a Ceton card in my WMC computer. USA, Syfy, and others have the copy flag set, which frequently causes havoc with recordings. I also have issues recording Fox 54.1 on cable. I also have a Silicon Dust Home Run OTA 2 output receiver with an indoor antenna that I use for that channel. I separate the OTA channels from the cable in WMC. I found that even with the priority set to use the OTA receiver first in WMC, it still has issues recording Fox, unless I separate the listings. Never had these issues with Knology. I've gotten to the point where I watch USA on my Roku, and Syfy using Playon. Syfy used to have a Roku channel, but not anymore.
I'd go to Dish, but I live in a condo, and we can't put up a dish in common areas, including the roof. My condo faces north and east, so I have nowhere to place a dish in private areas.
If a few more channels become available via streaming on Roku without cable (Sling, or Hulu, etc.), I'll dump WOW cable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page