Youngstown, OH - HDTV - Page 69 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2041 of 2062 Old 04-22-2019, 12:38 PM
Senior Member
 
firemantom26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Wintersville Ohio
Posts: 436
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa1062 View Post
Probably August of this year, when they move to RF31.


Yes I was hoping it would be before Phase 4 repack


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom
firemantom26 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2042 of 2062 Old 04-22-2019, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
nsa1062's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 1,202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Probably would interfere with WBNX on RF30 if they moved early - even if the equipment/tower crews were available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemantom26 View Post
Yes I was hoping it would be before Phase 4 repack


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nsa1062 is online now  
post #2043 of 2062 Old 05-27-2019, 12:38 AM
Senior Member
 
firemantom26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Wintersville Ohio
Posts: 436
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa1062 View Post
Probably would interfere with WBNX on RF30 if they moved early - even if the equipment/tower crews were available.


That makes sense.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tom
firemantom26 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2044 of 2062 Old 05-27-2019, 09:57 AM
Senior Member
 
wd8kct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: North Canton, Ohio
Posts: 380
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemantom26 View Post
That makes sense.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Phase 4 testing begins in less than a month...
firemantom26 likes this.
wd8kct is offline  
post #2045 of 2062 Old 05-27-2019, 05:42 PM
Senior Member
 
firemantom26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Wintersville Ohio
Posts: 436
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa1062 View Post
Probably would interfere with WBNX on RF30 if they moved early - even if the equipment/tower crews were available.


Nice to be able to receive 27 again.
I am not sure why the left to go to 33 tower than move back.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom
firemantom26 is online now  
post #2046 of 2062 Old 05-28-2019, 05:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
nsa1062's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 1,202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemantom26 View Post
I am not sure why the left to go to 33 tower than move back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Because 27 sold its signal in the spectrum auction and is now basically just a subchannel of 33 - it's actually 33 that's moving to the old 27 tower.

And 33 got moved in the repack from RF36 to RF31 (which is scheduled for August) which requires a new transmitter/antenna anyway, they are using the opportunity to move to the much taller 27 tower.

Last edited by nsa1062; 05-28-2019 at 05:30 AM.
nsa1062 is online now  
post #2047 of 2062 Old 05-28-2019, 07:15 AM
Senior Member
 
firemantom26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Wintersville Ohio
Posts: 436
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa1062 View Post
Because 27 sold its signal in the spectrum auction and is now basically just a subchannel of 33 - it's actually 33 that's moving to the old 27 tower.

And 33 got moved in the repack from RF36 to RF31 (which is scheduled for August) which requires a new transmitter/antenna anyway, they are using the opportunity to move to the much taller 27 tower.

Yes, their is a huge difference between the height of 27's tower vs 33's tower.

Tom
firemantom26 is online now  
post #2048 of 2062 Old 05-28-2019, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
snowdog 88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 1,953
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1502 Post(s)
Liked: 191
I wonder if there's anyway I can modify my Radio Shack U-75 antenna to optimally receive RF 32? With WYTV/WKBN moving to RF 31 and WFMJ moving to RF 33, modifying it for RF 32 would allow me to receive WYFX-LD (not likely, too far away) and improve reception for WYTV/WKBN & WFMJ seeing that they will both be on adjacent channels.

Newer is not always better.
snowdog 88 is online now  
post #2049 of 2062 Old 05-28-2019, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
nsa1062's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 1,202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemantom26 View Post
Yes, their is a huge difference between the height of 27's tower vs 33's tower.
While it might have made more sense to sell 33's signal in the auction and keep 27 (and thus avoiding 27/33 being on 33's weak signal for a year or more), I suspect they made a lot more money selling 27 because of it's much larger footprint. And 27, being on RF41, would have had to move for sure (since 41 is in the new wireless band). So I guess what they did makes sense even though it seems convoluted.
firemantom26 and snowdog 88 like this.
nsa1062 is online now  
post #2050 of 2062 Old 05-28-2019, 10:08 AM
Senior Member
 
wd8kct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: North Canton, Ohio
Posts: 380
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa1062 View Post
While it might have made more sense to sell 33's signal in the auction and keep 27 (and thus avoiding 27/33 being on 33's weak signal for a year or more), I suspect they made a lot more money selling 27 because of it's much larger footprint. And 27, being on RF41, would have had to move for sure (since 41 is in the new wireless band). So I guess what they did makes sense even though it seems convoluted.
Wonder why they're moving 30(wbnx) to 17 and 17(wkyc) to 19 instead of wbnx directly to 19?
wd8kct is offline  
post #2051 of 2062 Old 05-28-2019, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Trip in VA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA, US
Posts: 16,399
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1371 Post(s)
Liked: 489
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
Because WBNX and WKYC have different antenna patterns.



- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Trip in VA is online now  
post #2052 of 2062 Old 05-28-2019, 12:00 PM
Senior Member
 
wd8kct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: North Canton, Ohio
Posts: 380
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
Because WBNX and WKYC have different antenna patterns.



- Trip
Thanks Trip.
Will 24(woio-ld) switch to 18 on the phase 4 transition date?
Didn't see a reference to phase 4 on the CP.
Ed...
wd8kct is offline  
post #2053 of 2062 Old 05-28-2019, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Trip in VA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA, US
Posts: 16,399
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1371 Post(s)
Liked: 489
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
That is a great question that I don't have an answer to. It will definitely have to sign off of 24 to make way for WEAO. The station would know much better than I would whether or not they'll be ready to move to 18 on that date.


- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Trip in VA is online now  
post #2054 of 2062 Old 05-28-2019, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
snowdog 88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 1,953
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1502 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by wd8kct View Post
Thanks Trip.
Will 24(woio-ld) switch to 18 on the phase 4 transition date?
Didn't see a reference to phase 4 on the CP.
Ed...
That would probably be a question to ask the engineers at WOIO/WUAB.

I wish they would have nulled their repeater signal more towards the north as most viewers, say north of Cuyahoga Falls should be able to receive WOIO RF 10 with little difficulty. The result is annoyingly seeing two WOIO's and WUAB's on your TV, with one pair coming in worse than the other. The RF 10 signal is likely to improve in the next few years as Raycom/Gray has plans to move the transmitter over to the former WUAB tower and bump up the power to 19 kW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wd8kct View Post
Wonder why they're moving 30(wbnx) to 17 and 17(wkyc) to 19 instead of wbnx directly to 19?
WBNX's goofy pattern fits better on RF 17 than the current WKYC pattern, supposedly creating little to no interference to adjacent stations.

Newer is not always better.
snowdog 88 is online now  
post #2055 of 2062 Old 05-28-2019, 02:33 PM
Senior Member
 
wd8kct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: North Canton, Ohio
Posts: 380
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post
That would probably be a question to ask the engineers at WOIO/WUAB.

I wish they would have nulled their repeater signal more towards the north as most viewers, say north of Cuyahoga Falls should be able to receive WOIO RF 10 with little difficulty. The result is annoyingly seeing two WOIO's and WUAB's on your TV, with one pair coming in worse than the other. The RF 10 signal is likely to improve in the next few years as Raycom/Gray has plans to move the transmitter over to the former WUAB tower and bump up the power to 19 kW.


WBNX's goofy pattern fits better on RF 17 than the current WKYC pattern, supposedly creating little to no interference to adjacent stations.
Thanks snowdog 88...
wd8kct is offline  
post #2056 of 2062 Old 05-29-2019, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
nsa1062's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 1,202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
Because WBNX and WKYC have different antenna patterns.



- Trip
Trip, speaking of the auction and repack, are we ever going to get the list of winning bidders from the first 3 unsuccessful auction stages? Wasn't this supposed to be released after two years?

It would be interesting to know how many stations would have been wiped out if, say, the top remaining channel was 29 as I think it was initially.
nsa1062 is online now  
post #2057 of 2062 Old 05-29-2019, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Trip in VA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA, US
Posts: 16,399
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1371 Post(s)
Liked: 489
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa1062 View Post
Trip, speaking of the auction and repack, are we ever going to get the list of winning bidders from the first 3 unsuccessful auction stages? Wasn't this supposed to be released after two years?
Yes, the data was released in the PRS last month. https://auctiondata.fcc.gov/public/projects/1000

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Trip in VA is online now  
post #2058 of 2062 Old 05-30-2019, 06:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
nsa1062's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 1,202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
Yes, the data was released in the PRS last month. https://auctiondata.fcc.gov/public/projects/1000

- Trip
Thanks!
nsa1062 is online now  
post #2059 of 2062 Old 05-30-2019, 06:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
nsa1062's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 1,202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
Yes, the data was released in the PRS last month. https://auctiondata.fcc.gov/public/projects/1000

- Trip
If Stage 1 (highest remaining channel 29) had been successful, Youngstown would have been left with 1 station (WYTV) - WFMJ and WNEO were both winning bidders to go off the air, and were in all the way up to Stage 4 where they dropped out during bidding.

Could they really have crammed all the networks on WYTV and WYFX-LD (even assuming there would have been any channel left for them to go to)?

In Cleveland/Akron - WVIZ would have moved to high-VHF and WQHS would have gone off the air.

Last edited by nsa1062; 05-30-2019 at 11:12 AM.
nsa1062 is online now  
post #2060 of 2062 Old 06-13-2019, 01:37 PM
Senior Member
 
firemantom26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Wintersville Ohio
Posts: 436
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Somebody posted on the Pittsburgh forum That repack phase for his starting June 22 Through August hoping that 33 and 27 move soon.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom
firemantom26 is online now  
post #2061 of 2062 Old 06-17-2019, 04:31 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: West Mifflin,Pa
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
WFMJ going Omni signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
WFMJ will go from directional to omni (with more power) once the repack occurs. It may be somewhat easier to receive after all is said and done.

- Trip
Trip I have received WFMJ for years now from my location 15122 but am concerned will I loose the signal after the repack as I did with WKBN after they left 41 and went to 36.Also WKBN is moving to 31 now here we have 15KW WIIC on 31,will that get rid of ANY chances of receiving WKBN ever again? Thanks
otay2go is offline  
post #2062 of 2062 Old 06-17-2019, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Trip in VA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA, US
Posts: 16,399
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1371 Post(s)
Liked: 489
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
WFMJ may be weaker initially while they're on a temporary antenna (can't keep the main antenna operating while it's being replaced) but should ultimately be stronger on its final signal than it is today.

With respect to WKBN, they're going to move WYTV's signal back up to the taller tower that WKBN was on. That signal should improve substantially, but again, they may initially be on a temporary antenna while work is finished. Can't speak to any potential issues with WIIC-LD though.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Trip in VA is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off