New York, NY - Cablevision - Page 293 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #8761 of 8786 Old 07-06-2018, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post
anyone notice that Cable-vision/optimum has slammed your bill twice this year?
The first time was a sneak charge for a modem.
The new slam cost me an 18% increase!
No service changes. Just an 18% increase.
If I add this to the last slam...
Meantime, Hertz slammed my bill two weeks ago and Verizon keeps changing my billing date.
These are all companies I have used for decades.

I had a ~$10 per month increase with my last bill. For me, it's attributable to:

1. Set-top box fee. Was $10, now $11 (I have two).
2. Broadcast TV Surcharge. Was $3.99, now $4.99
3. Sports TV Surcharge. Was $6.97, now $7.97.
4. Model fee. Was $4.95. Now $10.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8762 of 8786 Old 07-06-2018, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1377 Post(s)
Liked: 11916
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstoffa View Post
I had a ~$10 per month increase with my last bill. For me, it's attributable to:

1. Set-top box fee. Was $10, now $11 (I have two).
2. Broadcast TV Surcharge. Was $3.99, now $4.99
3. Sports TV Surcharge. Was $6.97, now $7.97.
4. Model fee. Was $4.95. Now $10.
I did not do the break down but something is off as my bill went up $15 and I only have basic service (free, over the air stations) and two set-top boxes.
Your should have gone up the same as mine. (or mine as litle as yours)... but I have no Sports TV packages....

And why do I need a cable box anyway? cablevision will not allow you to stream to a TV!

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
post #8763 of 8786 Old 07-06-2018, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I’m down to just internet with them and my bill just went up $5 because they raised the modem fee to $10 a month. Time to buy my own modem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8764 of 8786 Old 07-06-2018, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I did not do the break down but something is off as my bill went up $15 and I only have basic service (free, over the air stations) and two set-top boxes.
Your should have gone up the same as mine. (or mine as litle as yours)... but I have no Sports TV packages....

And why do I need a cable box anyway? cablevision will not allow you to stream to a TV!

Well, I have a triple play, and get discounts for tv, internet, and phone. (They sum up to $75 or so per month off the rack retail rates if each service was purchased individually). The discounts are about $25 per service. The fact that you only pay for Broadcast Basic may be the reason why you've seen a bigger increase.

Is there a reason you can't use an antenna to get OTA TV? You are essentially paying $19.99 + $4.99 + $11 per box, per month, for what you can get for free with an antenna...
post #8765 of 8786 Old 07-06-2018, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Stone View Post
I’m down to just internet with them and my bill just went up $5 because they raised the modem fee to $10 a month. Time to buy my own modem.

Do they even allow you to?
post #8766 of 8786 Old 07-06-2018, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Yes you are allowed to. They have a list of ones they say are compatible, but I’ve read others that aren’t on their list are compatible too. They make sure to tell you that you’ll no longer receive tech support if you ha e problems with your modem. Only needed tech support once since I’ve had optimum in many many years, that was when my previous modem died, so I’m not worried about it.

eljr likes this.
post #8767 of 8786 Old 07-06-2018, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes you are allowed to. They have a list of ones they say are compatible, but I’ve read others that aren’t on their list are compatible too. They make sure to tell you that you’ll no longer receive tech support if you ha e problems with your modem. Only needed tech support once since I’ve had optimum in many many years, that was when my previous modem died, so I’m not worried about it.

Same as with TWC / Spectrum. I have phone service with them, though, so that means I'll have two modems... my own for internet, and theirs for phone...

I'll need to investigate. Thanks!
post #8768 of 8786 Old 07-06-2018, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:

Unless you live in NYC you don't need a cable box for broadcast basic, just a TV with a QAM tuner. If you live in NYC you don't need Optimum for broadcast basic just an antenna.
post #8769 of 8786 Old 07-06-2018, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
http://optimum.custhelp.com/app/answ...provided-modem
post #8770 of 8786 Old 07-06-2018, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
anyone notice that Cable-vision/optimum has slammed your bill twice this year?

These are all companies I have used for decades.
I had my "Value Package Bonus" removed without notice, and lost a bunch of channels. I don't remember every having the channels as a bonus, I always had them.

My bill went up $16 a month and I was dropped down to a lower tier of channels. I had to call the Retention department to make things right.

I should not have to jump through hoops to keep what I already had, especially in the era of Cord Cutting. I have to assume it's due in part to the take over by Altice.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it's not open. - Frank Zappa
post #8771 of 8786 Old 07-07-2018, 08:07 PM

Quote:

Is there a reason you can't use an antenna to get OTA TV? .
Because I am in the first valley, only valley really, outside NYC.

I just told them to GTH.

I have supplemented with Sling so now I will just solely use Sling.

No cable box, no cables running to each box, no extra electric usage, less "mess"....

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
post #8772 of 8786 Old 07-07-2018, 08:10 PM

Quote:

Modems cost about $100 retail. Cablevsiion buys them wholesale and in quantities. So they likely pay $40 or less. Then they make $120 a year. What a racket.

post #8773 of 8786 Old 07-07-2018, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilWave View Post
I have to assume it's due in part to the take over by Altice.
Indeed.

They need to maximize the profit for the investor. The days of adding value and selling you is over. Now it's about slight of hand. Bumping your bill in small increments over and over in the hopes you don't notice. Most don't. Last time they did this I asked all my neighbor and none were aware but all had been bumped up.

This auto pay and paperless billing is money from heaven to all big companies.

Car salesmen may be some of the most honest people we deal with today and they have not changed.

post #8774 of 8786 Old 07-09-2018, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Modems cost about $100 retail. Cablevsiion buys them wholesale and in quantities. So they likely pay $40 or less. Then they make $120 a year. What a racket.
If you look at just one individual device in the network it would seem like a racket. But it costs a lot to run a triple play network that many people these days are taking internet only. Altice has to make up the money some how after losing customers to FIOS on top of losing phone and video customers. You also have the option of buying a compatible refurbished modem for as little as $25.
post #8775 of 8786 Old 07-09-2018, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctveng View Post
If you look at just one individual device in the network it would seem like a racket. But it costs a lot to run a triple play network that many people these days are taking internet only. Altice has to make up the money some how after losing customers to FIOS on top of losing phone and video customers. You also have the option of buying a compatible refurbished modem for as little as $25.
Your theory is that when a company is not innovative and as a result starts to lose market share and revenue it should over charge to make up for their ineptness?

Well then I disagree my brother.

This reminds me of the 80's. Recall? (not sure how old you are) That is when companies who had failed to adjust to economic changes started taking benefits and reducing salaries to their workers so that the non working investor class enjoyed the same profits in spite of inept management in what needed to be done, innovate.

post #8776 of 8786 Old 07-10-2018, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Your theory is that when a company is not innovative and as a result starts to lose market share and revenue it should over charge to make up for their ineptness?

Well then I disagree my brother.

This reminds me of the 80's. Recall? (not sure how old you are) That is when companies who had failed to adjust to economic changes started taking benefits and reducing salaries to their workers so that the non working investor class enjoyed the same profits in spite of inept management in what needed to be done, innovate.
It's not a theory, it's fact. It's not secret that the trend has been and will continue to be cord cutting from the crappiest up to the most innovative providers. Since you're old enough to remember the 80's then you'll recall how phone and tv were run by monopolies so they could and did charge whatever they wanted. Now that we can get both from multiple providers has driven prices down and spurted innovation. There's only so much in the pie for those companies to continue to exist and provide service to us. As much as I hate rental fees as much as the next person, it covers the cost of providing local jobs for techs that maintain your service. Again, if you don't like the cost of modem rentals nothing is stopping you from buying one retail.
post #8777 of 8786 Old 07-10-2018, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctveng View Post
As much as I hate rental fees as much as the next person, it covers the cost of providing local jobs for techs that maintain your service. Again, if you don't like the cost of modem rentals nothing is stopping you from buying one retail.

I look at the modem fee as the cost for being connected to the network. Period. Then you pay for how much speed you want.
The cable company discounts your internet and phone if you are a video subscriber, so that offsets the modem "fee", which is really the "Broadcast Basic" fee less the box fee and the TV surcharge...

In an ideal world, you'd pay a flat fee for being connected to their network (say somewhere between $10 and $20 per month), then you'd add internet, phone, and / or video as needed, and at the level you wanted. But alas, this is not to be.
post #8778 of 8786 Old 07-15-2018, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 404
if you have OV (optimum voice/ phone) then you need Arris 822 or 1602

if you have data only, in theory you could use your own 3.0 modem but they want you to use 822 or 1602 (speeds above 200) .

also there is the "new" Altice 1 all in one box

Altice North/ Optimum does not use 3.1 modems like other cable co's as they are going FTTH , eventually .
once that happens the connections/infrastructure will be similar to fios where there will be an ONT installed and then either an optimum supplied router or your own router. I think the original test markets in West New York, NJ . They use D Link routers.

MY COMMENTS ARE MY OWN PERSONAL OPINIONS AND IN NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM REPRESENT
Bell Atlantic or its Subsidiaries

Last edited by dtv757; 07-15-2018 at 12:56 PM.
post #8779 of 8786 Old 07-10-2019, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Apologies for cross posting, but I have an issue covering multiple platforms. I’m planning on changing from Verizon FiOS to Optimum by Altice for TV, Internet, and Phone, and I wanted to address some concerns before pulling the trigger.

TiVo
1. I have several TiVo Bolts and a Premiere box that require cable cards. I remember the original Cablevision Cable Cards were single stream and did not always mate well with TiVo. Has Altice/Optimum improved those cards?
2. On a related topic, has anyone had experience changing cards from Verizon to Altice/Optimum? Do you have any tips to make the provisioning go easier?
3. When I change service providers on the TiVo’s, will the season passes (SPs) update to record on the correct channel, or will I need to manually update each one? I know when I’ve moved SPs from my OTA to Cable Bolt, they have correctly selected ABC/CBS, etc.. but I haven’t changed actual video providers since TiVo stated allowing SP transfers.

Network
4. I had Optimum Online several years ago, and the speed dropped significantly at night. I’ve heard from some neighbors that this is no longer an issue now that Altice/Optimum added more nodes to our neighborhood. Is there a site that I could get true network performance for a specific area?
5. I currently use a Google Wi-Fi Mesh system for my routing and wireless coverage. Has anyone had issues using the Google system with Altice/Optimum?

Phone
6. I eventually plan on purchasing my own modem to reduce my monthly charges. In addition to the Google system, I also have 2 phone numbers for the house. What modem(s) work with Altice/Optimum, Google Wi-Fi and are capable of handling 2 separate phone lines?

Apple TV
7. Does Altice/Optimum have single sign-on with Apple TV?
8. Do any networks not allow Apple TV access with Altice/Optimum?
post #8780 of 8786 Old 07-10-2019, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dturturro View Post
Apologies for cross posting, but I have an issue covering multiple platforms. I’m planning on changing from Verizon FiOS to Optimum by Altice for TV, Internet, and Phone, and I wanted to address some concerns before pulling the trigger.

TiVo
1. I have several TiVo Bolts and a Premiere box that require cable cards. I remember the original Cablevision Cable Cards were single stream and did not always mate well with TiVo. Has Altice/Optimum improved those cards?
2. On a related topic, has anyone had experience changing cards from Verizon to Altice/Optimum? Do you have any tips to make the provisioning go easier?
3. When I change service providers on the TiVo’s, will the season passes (SPs) update to record on the correct channel, or will I need to manually update each one? I know when I’ve moved SPs from my OTA to Cable Bolt, they have correctly selected ABC/CBS, etc.. but I haven’t changed actual video providers since TiVo stated allowing SP transfers.
Cablevision sucks if you have TiVo! Their support with cable cards is awful! With my TiVo, I recently had some TiVo compatible channels disappear! I thought it was a cable card issue and decided to get a new one. What a nightmare! I went to the Optimum store and got a new card. They told me," Just put the new one in and it'll work." HA No it didn't work at all, no channels were coming through. Had to go back and get another new card! Same thing happened with this one. After many phone calls to Optimum customer "Service" and and three way conference with TiVo, I got back the same channels I had before I got the new card. Apparently the techs at Optimum kept failing to authorize the new card. I did not get back all the channels I once had. Optimum only lets you have what they want you to have.You don't get all the channels that your cable box gets and now it's even less! On TiVo the HD channels start at 700. Yep, 702 will be your old channel 2. The only reason I still have Optimum is because my building doesn't have Fios. If you are getting all the channels on your TiVo with Fios, STAY THERE! Don't go to Optimum, you will be very disappointed!
dturturro likes this.
post #8781 of 8786 Old 07-21-2019, 07:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Mettle View Post
Cablevision sucks if you have TiVo! Their support with cable cards is awful! With my TiVo, I recently had some TiVo compatible channels disappear! I thought it was a cable card issue and decided to get a new one. What a nightmare! I went to the Optimum store and got a new card. They told me," Just put the new one in and it'll work." HA No it didn't work at all, no channels were coming through. Had to go back and get another new card! Same thing happened with this one. After many phone calls to Optimum customer "Service" and and three way conference with TiVo, I got back the same channels I had before I got the new card. Apparently the techs at Optimum kept failing to authorize the new card. I did not get back all the channels I once had. Optimum only lets you have what they want you to have.You don't get all the channels that your cable box gets and now it's even less! On TiVo the HD channels start at 700. Yep, 702 will be your old channel 2. The only reason I still have Optimum is because my building doesn't have Fios. If you are getting all the channels on your TiVo with Fios, STAY THERE! Don't go to Optimum, you will be very disappointed!

Yes, I’m having card issues too. The channels that say they are HD are in fact stretched SD. One of the multiple reps I’ve spoken to suggested getting a tuning adapter from the OS. They were out, so I have a service call set for tomorrow. Anyone resolve a CC issue with Optimum have some advice?

On a positive note, the online performance, which is what I was most concerned with, has been flawless!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #8782 of 8786 Old 07-21-2019, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Many of Optimum's HD channels use switched video, which requires a tuning adaptor for 3rd party devices like TiVO.

Also you need to make sure you're using the 600s-800s range since 3rd party cable card devices do not support the custom HD autotuning. (This isn't an Optimum only thing, even providers that distribute TiVOs like Blue Ridge here in NEPA have this issue, while their Explorer boxes use custom firmware to automatically retune to the HD feed)

Last edited by KyL416; 07-21-2019 at 03:03 PM.
post #8783 of 8786 Old 08-14-2019, 06:30 AM

What is going on with service from this company?

TV is constantly going out, wifi is constantly dropping out. Start about 6 weeks ago but the last 48 hours it's been much worse.

Could not use internet at yesterday and you can't watch a full show or movie without it going out.

Anyone else?

Optimum has gone to hell the last two years. Didn't they change upper management? It's been a disaster for the end user. Price gouging and lying about service.
I have had this service for 20 years and for the first time I am shopping for a replacement.

post #8784 of 8786 Old 08-14-2019, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyL416 View Post
Many of Optimum's HD channels use switched video, which requires a tuning adaptor for 3rd party devices like TiVO.

Also you need to make sure you're using the 600s-800s range since 3rd party cable card devices do not support the custom HD autotuning. (This isn't an Optimum only thing, even providers that distribute TiVOs like Blue Ridge here in NEPA have this issue, while their Explorer boxes use custom firmware to automatically retune to the HD feed)

Tuning adapted are no longer needed for at least the Premier/Bolt boxes. I’m not sure if the Series 3 or earlier require the TA.

post #8785 of 8786 Old 08-15-2019, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dturturro View Post
Tuning adapted are no longer needed for at least the Premier/Bolt boxes. I’m not sure if the Series 3 or earlier require the TA.

The need for a tuning adapter is based on the channels you subscribe to, not the TiVo platform. All cable card TiVos require a tuning adapter if you subscribe to channels that are switched video. Most of Optimums channels on Long Island work without a tuning adapter.
post #8786 of 8786 Old 08-15-2019, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI-SVT View Post
The need for a tuning adapter is based on the channels you subscribe to, not the TiVo platform. All cable card TiVos require a tuning adapter if you subscribe to channels that are switched video. Most of Optimums channels on Long Island work without a tuning adapter.

I’m on the Woodbury system and I do not need the TA for my HD channels. I receive local, basic and premium channels in HD without issue.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page