Minneapolis, MN - OTA - Page 120 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 134Likes

post #3571 of 3628 Old 05-20-2019, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm late getting around to asking this:

Anyone know if there was a power level or transmitter change to WUMN/17 (Univision) a few months ago?

I used to get it 24/7, but now only sometimes at night. I don't think my antenna is at fault, all the other channels are where they were before in terms of signal strength. I don't think it's the leaves either, I got channel 17 for years 24/7/365. Of course, I may be wrong, since it's low power many factors could be in play. I'm not sure when they're switching channels but I don't think it's happened yet. (Maybe someone posted here about this already, but I never saw it.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3572 of 3628 Old 05-20-2019, 10:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdxer View Post
I'm late getting around to asking this:

Anyone know if there was a power level or transmitter change to WUMN/17 (Univision) a few months ago?

I used to get it 24/7, but now only sometimes at night. I don't think my antenna is at fault, all the other channels are where they were before in terms of signal strength. I don't think it's the leaves either, I got channel 17 for years 24/7/365. Of course, I may be wrong, since it's low power many factors could be in play. I'm not sure when they're switching channels but I don't think it's happened yet. (Maybe someone posted here about this already, but I never saw it.)
nothing I see filed with the FCC in regards to issues. Last thing was a construction permit to move from 17 to 21 a year ago
WEAU (Eau Claire NBC) is moving to RF17 in Phase 9 (March to May Next year) and since WUMN will create too much interference they have to move and chose RF21. It was posted about a year ago
WUMN is being displaced due to 1.97% interference caused to WEAU (that is per their filing)
Specifically, as indicated by the attached TVStudy analysis, WUMN-LD’s licensed channel 17 operation is predicted to cause 1.97% new interference to WEAU (up to 0.5% new interference is permitted).

I'm just thinking I had to set up a new TV at my dads house to an antenna (simple 2 bay) a week or so ago in Prior Lake and 17 seemed to be glitchy that day. But the antenna was mounted inside
post #3573 of 3628 Old 05-20-2019, 10:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Don't see any difference in signal strength on WUMN.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3574 of 3628 Old 05-21-2019, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for your input.

I'll consider it a low-power mystery. It will be interesting to see if I get it after it moves to RF21.

I'm content...still getting K33LN-D OK.
post #3575 of 3628 Old 05-21-2019, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I cannot get KJNK-LD or K33LN-D using an over the air antenna, if this is not the right forum or site, could you point me where to go?

More Detail:
I live in Spring Park, MN (55384) and I have tried two Amplified Indoor antennas and one Attic/Outdoor antenna and nothing could pull it in no matter where I positioned it inside (I have buildings and trees blocking the direction outside) and I am able to pull in all the main channel's from Shoreview (KTCA, KTCI, WCCO, KSTP, KSTC, KMSP, WFTC, KARE, WUCW) and I can even pull in KPXM, and at one point, I was able to pull in WDMI-LD, but I cannot seem to get Channels 25 or 33, even though I used to live 2 Miles northeast from my current location and was able to get them (not sure what antenna my dad used), any help or ideas?
post #3576 of 3628 Old 05-21-2019, 09:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdxer View Post
Thanks for your input.

I'll consider it a low-power mystery. It will be interesting to see if I get it after it moves to RF21.

I'm content...still getting K33LN-D OK.
WEUX (FOX Eau Claire) also is moving to RF21. The rule of thumb seems to be the lower the RF channel the easier it is to pick up on the fringes (when the power/height is the same they are just moving stations)
mattdp likes this.
post #3577 of 3628 Old 05-22-2019, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougiefresh784 View Post
I cannot get KJNK-LD or K33LN-D using an over the air antenna, if this is not the right forum or site, could you point me where to go?

More Detail:
I live in Spring Park, MN (55384) and I have tried two Amplified Indoor antennas and one Attic/Outdoor antenna and nothing could pull it in no matter where I positioned it inside (I have buildings and trees blocking the direction outside) and I am able to pull in all the main channel's from Shoreview (KTCA, KTCI, WCCO, KSTP, KSTC, KMSP, WFTC, KARE, WUCW) and I can even pull in KPXM, and at one point, I was able to pull in WDMI-LD, but I cannot seem to get Channels 25 or 33, even though I used to live 2 Miles northeast from my current location and was able to get them (not sure what antenna my dad used), any help or ideas?
I ran a TVFool report - looks like you're all of about 9 miles from the IDS tower, which is at 191 degrees (as opposed to Shoreview which is at 123). Probably forgo anything with amplification as it could be overloading. Not sure how bad the local obstructions are, but any 4 Bay UHF antenna should work for you.
post #3578 of 3628 Old 05-22-2019, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdp View Post
I ran a TVFool report - looks like you're all of about 9 miles from the IDS tower, which is at 191 degrees (as opposed to Shoreview which is at 123). Probably forgo anything with amplification as it could be overloading. Not sure how bad the local obstructions are, but any 4 Bay UHF antenna should work for you.
Matt
Spring Park is west of Minnetonka in the Lake Minnetonka area so the stations are East/Northeast of him and 25 miles away

rabbitears query for zip code
https://www.rabbitears.info/search.p...=dBm&height=20
post #3579 of 3628 Old 05-22-2019, 08:44 PM

I looked on the Rabbit Ears info you sent, and what I don't understand, is how I am able to get KPXM but can't get KJNK-LD or K33LN-D, even though 41's Transmitter is further away and has a weaker signal strength and a lower signal margin then 25 and 33, and in terms of the direction I have tried all three antennas and moved them all around my room and even rotated them to different directions and still couldn't get anything. One thing I should point out, I live in an apartment building on the ground floor, and there is only one floor above me, and if I were to put the antenna outside, I would have my own apartment building and the other apartment building blocking those 70°/80° directions
post #3580 of 3628 Old 05-23-2019, 05:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I looked on the Rabbit Ears info you sent, and what I don't understand, is how I am able to get KPXM but can't get KJNK-LD or K33LN-D, even though 41's Transmitter is further away and has a weaker signal strength and a lower signal margin then 25 and 33, and in terms of the direction I have tried all three antennas and moved them all around my room and even rotated them to different directions and still couldn't get anything. One thing I should point out, I live in an apartment building on the ground floor, and there is only one floor above me, and if I were to put the antenna outside, I would have my own apartment building and the other apartment building blocking those 70°/80° directions
41 is more powerful than 25 & 33 are. 25 & 33 are low powered stations and broadcast at 15,000 watts versus KPXM (41) that broadcasts at 470,000 watts. Conversely the main stations (exception being 11) broadcast at 1 million watts. 11 is on VHF so they have lower power rates.
Also I did the rabbitears at 20 feet height not knowing that you are at ground level. Doing a tvfool at 5 feet shows 41 stronger than 25 & 33 but it just puts the location as the middle of town. Your exact address would yield different results. Having the antenna indoors adds more options of interference and signal blocking.

Try adjusting the height of the antenna. Sometimes higher is not better. When I had my antenna in a walk in closet in an apartment I had I found that the antenna needed to be 5 feet up. If I went as high as I could (8 feet) signal was way worse.
post #3581 of 3628 Old 05-23-2019, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Pixelization On KSTP 5-1

I typically watch the local channels through Slingbox, which gets it from TiVo Roam OTA to TiVo Mini. My wife mentioned to me recently that of all the local channels, KSTP seems to be the worst in terms of occasional pixelization. AT the time, I didn't give it too much thought because with signals received over the air, there can be interference. However, somewhat more recently, I was watching KSTP via DirecTV Now and I noticed pixelization there, too. Now the effect was not as pronounced as my over the air set up, but there was some pixelization. I am just wondering if anybody else here has noticed this on either over the air or from other sources?
post #3582 of 3628 Old 05-23-2019, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
Matt
Spring Park is west of Minnetonka in the Lake Minnetonka area so the stations are East/Northeast of him and 25 miles away

rabbitears query for zip code
https://www.rabbitears.info/search.p...=dBm&height=20
Somehow I substituted in "Spring Lake Park."

Indoors, 1-story at 30 mi is tough. 4 or an 8 bay and maybe a preamp would be my best advice. That will get a lot better signal than some "indoor" antenna.
post #3583 of 3628 Old 05-24-2019, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Somehow I substituted in "Spring Lake Park."

Indoors, 1-story at 30 mi is tough. 4 or an 8 bay and maybe a preamp would be my best advice. That will get a lot better signal than some "indoor" antenna.
Would a 4-Bay or 8-Bay be able to pull in those weaker signals from inside an apartment?
post #3584 of 3628 Old 05-24-2019, 08:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Interesting...

So KEYC's translator that use to be on 38 and was lit up last November for a week on 13 to keep the license active now is requesting to move to RF7 at 3000 watts about 975 feet up the KEYC tower (KEYC is at 1040 feet). Submitted today under United Communications (technically still the owner even though Gray took over on 3/1 running it)

https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/da...e01b7&goBack=N

Theyre saying its due to being displaced in the 600mhz spectrum...but they already have a permit for (and technically lit up) channel 13. Hmmmmmmm maybe its easier to get a RF7 antenna versus a RF13 antenna. They have until June 11th to get it on the air (or ask for a 6 month extension to stay silent)
it was approved today. New station is K07AAH-D
mattdp likes this.
post #3585 of 3628 Old 05-24-2019, 08:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthelen View Post
FWIW, I wasn't saying much before because UCC didn't seem to have a definite plan, just vague notions and possibilities. (At one point it looked like the staff might get to program it until the owners made up their minds. I was looking forward to that... coulda been a real hoot!)
yes that would have been a hoot to have a station programmed by the employees

Quote:
Gray, OTOH, definitely does have a plan... but you'll have to wait a little while longer until they announce it.
Figured they would considering they seem to know how to utilize the signals they have to maximum potential

Also I see the CP for what is now K07AAH-D was approved today

I assume Gray will ask for another 6 month STA to stay silent since the current one runs out in a couple weeks so they can get 7 on the air?
mattdp likes this.

Last edited by unclehonkey; 05-24-2019 at 08:43 PM.
post #3586 of 3628 Old 05-25-2019, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Would a 4-Bay or 8-Bay be able to pull in those weaker signals from inside an apartment?
No guarantees, but that is your best option and probably a significantly better antenna than most other indoor options.
post #3587 of 3628 Old 05-26-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
No guarantees, but that is your best option and probably a significantly better antenna than most other indoor options.
I am using the Outdoor/Attic Antenna currently in my room, secured to a pole (about 6-7 ft) and it is facing the direction of the towers in Shoreview (can get all, but KARE and KTCA/KTCI are hard unless the antenna is facing just the right way) so to get 25 and 33, would I have a better chance of leaving it in my room where it currently is, or would it be better to put it outside? (even though the direction I need to be pointing is directly blocked by a building?
post #3588 of 3628 Old 05-27-2019, 07:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I am using the Outdoor/Attic Antenna currently in my room, secured to a pole (about 6-7 ft) and it is facing the direction of the towers in Shoreview (can get all, but KARE and KTCA/KTCI are hard unless the antenna is facing just the right way) so to get 25 and 33, would I have a better chance of leaving it in my room where it currently is, or would it be better to put it outside? (even though the direction I need to be pointing is directly blocked by a building?
try it outside and see what happens. It should be better because there is one less objection (the wall) to deal with
post #3589 of 3628 Old 05-27-2019, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadmanR View Post
Now that it is April, the question isn't so much about a go-live date as it is for the prerequisite "testing" and the possibility of seeing signal-presence of the KSTC channels.

Any contacts out there for Hubbard-owned stations engineers?
Did a little more digging and it sounds like KSTC wont move until 6/21 (the end of phase 3). Reason I say that is KSAX (Alexandria) there is a document asking for an extension on their STA for 42 until 6/21 (it was to end April 21). It was for them to use a side mount antenna lower on the tower for 42 so they could add the 24 antenna at the top.

Anywho they mention this
As the Station’s designated transition period (Phase 3) ends on June 21, 2019, an extension will serve the public interest by allowing consumers and the Licensee to transition smoothly to the Station’s repacked channel as well as those of other repacked Stations in the Station’s market as of June 21, as opposed to having to scan and re-scan sets on additional transition dates

The only other full power station in the market moving is KSTC
https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/da...6954c31ce526da
post #3590 of 3628 Old 05-27-2019, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Thanks for the update, unclehonky!

Looks like the second half of June will be a good time to schedule a scan/re-scan, eh?

-----

Meanwhile, though there isn't any consumer-available ATSC 3.0 hardware yet to be seen, keeping an eye out for news on THAT front is becoming an obsession.
Such as this note seen three days ago (05/24):

"Yesterday, the FCC announced plans to start accepting ATSC 3.0 OTA TV applications from TV stations. These applications are for stations that want to switch on a commercial ATSC 3.0 service for their customers."

I'm curious -- intensely so -- who/what/which entities in Minnesota will be first on that front!
(I'd place a bet on Hubbard if I were the wagering type.)
Several markets already actively testing ATSC 3.0 systems. Detroit & Cleveland but not a word about North Star state broadcasters.

Anyone with any insight on that score?

"In the choice between changing ones mind and proving there's no need to do so, most people get busy on the proof." - John Kenneth Galbraith
post #3591 of 3628 Old 05-27-2019, 09:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
"Yesterday, the FCC announced plans to start accepting ATSC 3.0 OTA TV applications from TV stations. These applications are for stations that want to switch on a commercial ATSC 3.0 service for their customers."

I'm curious -- intensely so -- who/what/which entities in Minnesota will be first on that front!
(I'd place a bet on Hubbard if I were the wagering type.)
Several markets already actively testing ATSC 3.0 systems. Detroit & Cleveland but not a word about North Star state broadcasters.

Anyone with any insight on that score?
I think Sinclair is pretty big into 3.0.

As South Korea is currently broadcasting 3.0, tuner boxes and TVs w/3.0 already exist and are apparently pretty reasonably priced. I assume we'll start seeing them next year.
post #3592 of 3628 Old 05-30-2019, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Unhappy Was Minneapolis K33LN-D shut down?

I haven't been able to receive Minneapolis K33LN-D channel (and all its subchannels) since yesterday morning 5-29-19.
All the time I tried channel 33-1 thru 33-7 (Grit) I get this message "MODE NOT SUPPORTED".
What happened to this station? Did they switched to...another channel number or they shut off for good?

Piero from Minneapolis
post #3593 of 3628 Old 05-30-2019, 05:34 PM

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

I haven't been able to receive Minneapolis K33LN-D channel (and all its subchannels) since yesterday morning 5-29-19.
All the time I tried channel 33-1 thru 33-7 (Grit) I get this message "MODE NOT SUPPORTED".
What happened to this station? Did they switched to...another channel number or they shut off for good?

Piero from Minneapolis
The FCC site shows no recent applications for changes have been filed. Their only recent FCC filing was the required Children's TV Program report in April. Possibly they have something misconfigured or have had a hardware failure

Last edited by Channel99; 05-30-2019 at 05:52 PM.
post #3594 of 3628 Old 05-30-2019, 07:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Minneapolis, MN - OTA

Quote:

I haven't been able to receive Minneapolis K33LN-D channel...I get this message "MODE NOT SUPPORTED"...
I get MODE NOT SUPPORTED on my Samsung internal tuner. On the TiVo Roamio OTA, it displays the PSIP Data, but no audio or video.
post #3595 of 3628 Old 05-31-2019, 03:55 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Maybe it's fixed now but I get all the 33's on my Tivo, my Sony TV I haven't scanned for new channels in years I get just 33.3
post #3596 of 3628 Old 06-03-2019, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channel99 View Post
The FCC site shows no recent applications for changes have been filed. Their only recent FCC filing was the required Children's TV Program report in April. Possibly they have something misconfigured or have had a hardware failure
I was able to get all channel 33s thru Sunday afternoon June 2 (turned off my TV then).
Today June 3, I get the "MODE NOT SUPPORTED"message on all channel 33s
Darn! Was in the mood for some westerns on Grit!
post #3597 of 3628 Old 06-03-2019, 07:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

K33LN-D was normal last Tuesday when I ran a scan at an install. Last Wednesday's install, I think some of the 33s were down. I think it was back after that and today, all channels are blank (normal signal levels). I think we determined that it is fed via IP.

Semi-related- I saw a Facebook post from Selective TV (the translator system in Alexandria) noting that Escape, Grit and Bounce changed their satellite transponder. Not sure if that has anything to do with it: https://www.facebook.com/Selective-TV-156311197741476/
post #3598 of 3628 Old 06-03-2019, 08:31 PM

"Issues": K33LN-D and its subchannels

NOTE: As of 22:58, 2019.06.03, there is still NO programming content available on 33.1-33.7 in MSP.
Each channel's signal *does* register but no viewable content for ANY of the channels.

Been going on for some time, apparently, so...
Anyone with any specific insight into K33LN-D as a transmission source?

You're hardly alone, sir:
Quote:

Piero from Minneapolis
-----

No, they neither "switched" frequencies/channel numbers nor "shut off for good."
(As Mattdp said, some time ago, "...some piece of infrastructure farted."
And keeps on swallowing big beans, it appears.)

What I'd ask, for any of you who like to watch K33LN-D, and its associated sub-channels, is simply this:

CONTACT -- and openly b*tch about -- their technical OTA deficiencies!

That may be done here for COZI http://dtvamerica.com/report-an-outage/ should you choose to do so but I'll leave it to you to locate links for other channels such as GRIT, LAFF, BOUNCE, et al.
(Note that DTVAmerica is *not* the same entity as local affiliate K33LN-D)

Me, I've long been fed up with the clue-less and careless attention paid to their MSP OTA signal availability (channels 33.1 - 33.7) as previously noted in this very forum.

Criticism/carping/complaining about their erratic service, provided to us in this market, may or may not be fruitful in the end.

But it surely was on the very day COZI became active, here, when I did so via e-mail.

-----

Here's what I sent to DTVAmerica today, 2019.06.03:

Whether or not COZI-TV pays much attention to its affiliates, one thing it should note is how poorly maintained and ERRATIC (chronically off air "outages") their programming has been, inconsistently available on the Minneapolis/St.Paul channel 33.4 (K33LN-D subchannel 4)

As of 09:31 on 2019.06.03 that signal has been "off the air" all morning long.

Engineering for that channel is uncaring, incompetent, and inconsistently "available" to resolve problems with their digital-broadcast signal.
When they "get around to it" your channel, and the seven subchannels also transmitted by K33LN, are restored -- until the next extensive or brief outage.

As of this writing, once again the programming content I generally watch REGULARLY on COZI is off the air.
Both 'The Rockford Files' and 'Columbo' are high on my morning TV viewing preferences and neither is available today.
Which is hardly "news" insofar as K33LN's feeble and incompetent transmission technicians are concerned.

I was highly encouraged by COZI's recent addition to the 'streaming service' YouTube TV but, having cancelled that service last night, I no longer have that "alternative means" of viewing your highly interesting programming.

I will also note that it was *MY* e-mail to COZI -- some months ago, when content first became available in MSP -- that relayed 'signal' issues to those who monitor the transmission facility that, while their VIDEO was present, they were passing no AUDIO signal to consumer receivers.
("It's fine on our end," they said.
"Yeah, well try a broadcast receiver, not a studio monitor, and check it yourself," I replied.)

Within a single hour of intitiating e-mail exchanges, that problem was resolved PROVING to me that *someone* on the corporate level was paying attention to consumer viewers.
AND had means to contact K33LN-D in this market!

Until such time as COZI makes available an open, internet-available, "stream" of its service, I will rarely even bother trying to view its MSP-market OTA signal on 33.4 -- nor re-activate the PAID YouTube TV service for the benefit of viewing COZI TV programming.

Unfortunate, for me as a viewer, but equally so for you as a content-provider.

Then again, *maybe* you, as a programming initiator, can bring pressure to bear on this woefully inept affiliate, sufficient to make them far more responsive to their ceaseless 'technical problems' than has been true in the past.

-----

Bottom line is simply this:

Complaints -- to the originating source, to the broadcast entity, or to the FCC itself -- only have value when they're literately MADE AND REGISTERED with concerned bodies.

Act or don't act, that's up to you.
I've done my part.
mattdp and Xiccarph like this.

"In the choice between changing ones mind and proving there's no need to do so, most people get busy on the proof." - John Kenneth Galbraith

Last edited by MadmanR; 06-03-2019 at 09:10 PM.
post #3599 of 3628 Old 06-05-2019, 07:23 PM

RE-SCAN NOTE:

Just saw this blurb on KSTC (5.4 Antenna-TV) @ 21:20

"Re-scan your TV on Friday, June 21st at noon for KSTC programming."

Just as Unclehonkey said a number of posts back...

Quote:
Did a little more digging and it sounds like KSTC wont move until 6/21 (the end of phase 3). Reason I say that is KSAX (Alexandria) there is a document asking for an extension on their STA for 42 until 6/21 (it was to end April 21). It was for them to use a side mount antenna lower on the tower for 42 so they could add the 24 antenna at the top.

Anywho they mention this
As the Station’s designated transition period (Phase 3) ends on June 21, 2019, an extension will serve the public interest by allowing consumers and the Licensee to transition smoothly to the Station’s repacked channel as well as those of other repacked Stations in the Station’s market as of June 21, as opposed to having to scan and re-scan sets on additional transition dates

The only other full power station in the market moving is KSTC
https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/da...6954c31ce526da
mattdp likes this.

Last edited by MadmanR; 06-05-2019 at 08:08 PM.
post #3600 of 3628 Old 06-06-2019, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
RE-SCAN NOTE:

Just saw this blurb on KSTC (5.4 Antenna-TV) @ 21:20

"Re-scan your TV on Friday, June 21st at noon for KSTC programming."

Just as Unclehonkey said a number of posts back...
My reason was a hunch since KSAX mentioned 6/21. tvanswers.org (take it for what its worth) says same thing

Station: KSAX - ABC 42
Market: Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
Rescan Day: June 21, 2019

Station: KSTC-TV - Independent 45
Market: Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
Rescan Day: June 21, 2019

That website also lists oodles of low powered stations (translators)...most of which have already moved
mattdp and MadmanR like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page