Minneapolis, MN - OTA - Page 131 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 261Likes

post #3901 of 3934 Old 12-12-2019, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 611 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthelen View Post
I was able to confirm the SNL issue. Talking with the parties involved, it appears it was a log problem. (This was our first Saturday running NBC logs, so there were still a few bugs waiting to be discovered.)

I've been assured that incident has made "the list" of things that will be ironed out with our traffic folks this week. (There have been some other timing issues throughout the week, mostly incidents of joining the network a few seconds early/late, which I also expect will be found and fixed.)
<---snip--->
As always, I welcome viewer observations and suggestions... thanks! :-)

--Keith
Just a heads up today the same thing happened today (Thursday) during both broadcasts of Early Today
-4:30 episode they teased the last story at :24 and the rest was commercials (first 3 were national, the rest local)
-5:00 episode same thing. They talked about the weather at :24 then the rest were commercials

Its weird as there haven't been any issues like this previously.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3902 of 3934 Old 12-12-2019, 09:25 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 36
@unclehonkey : Sent all your observations to our operations manager this morning. Here's what he said, with names redacted (my edit)...

Quote:
Wow that's an excellent viewer report. I hope you thanked them for the help. I think after [person overseeing programming logs] and I discuss this we need to share it with [morning master control operator] and develop a plan for proper, seamless operations.
If you notice anything else, keep 'em coming :-)

--Keith Thelen
soon-to-be former chief engineer, KEYC/KMNF
(on 12/27, I'm outta here... get your questions/comments in while you can!)
unclehonkey likes this.

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of my station, my boss, his dog, my co-workers, the crickets hiding in the studio, or anyone/anything else.
post #3903 of 3934 Old 12-12-2019, 07:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Just curious why you are leaving KEYC. It's been great learning from you.
unclehonkey likes this.

Jeff
Sony XBR-77A1E TV, Sony UBP-X1000ES Blu-ray player, Marantz SR-7011 Home Theater Receiver
JBL L300 Speakers, Technics SL-1650 Turntable, Technics SL-P3 CD player, Teac A-6600 Reel to Reel tape deck,
TiVo Series 3 HD-DVR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3904 of 3934 Old 12-12-2019, 08:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
@unclehonkey : Sent all your observations to our operations manager this morning. Here's what he said, with names redacted (my edit)...

Quote:
Wow that's an excellent viewer report. I hope you thanked them for the help. I think after [person overseeing programming logs] and I discuss this we need to share it with [morning master control operator] and develop a plan for proper, seamless operations.

--Keith Thelen
Happy to help out. Hopefully they can figure out the issue and get it resolved. Like I say the first 7 days (12/2 thru 12/10) there were no issues and now the last 2 days its been weird with the extra commercials. The only other observation I noticed was last Friday (12/6) someone must have forgot to turn on the KMNF transmitter on time because the Tivo missed the first 4 minutes of programming. (I know its not my setup as I get a very strong signal on both KEYC & KMNF).

I haven't really checked any other syndicated programming from KEYC NBC yet that I've recorded (I do have 2 or 3 syndicated shows from NBC that I record daily but haven't had time to watch...news is different) Maybe this weekend I'll go through and if there is anything out of the ordinary I'll report back.

Kinda a bummer that you're leaving. I hope its your choice
Like Runch said "It's been great learning from you"

Tony
post #3905 of 3934 Old 12-12-2019, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
The only other observation I noticed was last Friday (12/6) someone must have forgot to turn on the KMNF transmitter on time because the Tivo missed the first 4 minutes of programming. (I know its not my setup as I get a very strong signal on both KEYC & KMNF).
Entirely possible. The master control operator currently must use two different control panels each morning and evening - one for the KEYC rig, and another for KMNF's - with the one for KMNF being a bit cumbersome. On at least one other occasion I know of, the operator's juggling skills were a bit lacking, and so turning the KMNF transmitter on/off ended up being delayed.

(This will soon be resolved when they upgrade to a larger remote control with enough capacity for both transmitters.)

Quote:
Kinda a bummer that you're leaving. I hope its your choice
Like Runch said "It's been great learning from you"
Glad to have been of service!

Most of my reason for leaving is that I'd accomplished what I set out to do: pull KEYC back from the edge, make it a solid technical performer, and leave it in a state that all involved can be proud of. Getting KMNF built and running was a bonus, and I finished that, too. Seemed like a good time to ride off into the sunset.

Another reason is that transforming KEYC/KMNF into a good-running facility was a 50-70 hour per week job for me, plus 24/7 on-call that was used liberally (nights/weekends/holidays) - and all while working 2.5 hours from home. I'm pretty well spent from five years of that.

And of course, the part that was out of my control was the Gray sale. It's not a bad company, but working for a big corporation comes with its own challenges. I signed on with KEYC specifically because it was a small operation, and now it's not... that changed a lot of what I liked about my job.

At any rate, I can say the place is in good shape now, and will be left in the capable hands of my two staff engineers, who themselves have put plenty of blood, sweat, and cable terminations into all those upgrades.

KEYC will sail into its 60th year of operation well-equipped and running better than ever - and I'm happy to have been a part of making that happen.

--Keith
csworldwide1 and unclehonkey like this.

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of my station, my boss, his dog, my co-workers, the crickets hiding in the studio, or anyone/anything else.
post #3906 of 3934 Old 12-13-2019, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Keith
One observation this morning from the Early Today shows
-The 4:30 episode cut midway through the last segment (:26 into the show) for local commercials.
-The 5:00 episode didn't see any issues. All segments aired fully

Tony
post #3907 of 3934 Old 12-14-2019, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
For KMNF, there are no artificial limitations, so it's much simpler: NBC gets high priority, CW+ gets moderate priority, and a future SD subchannel on 7.3 gets lower priority. The encoder (a Harmonic X2S) is otherwise free to do its thing - and in the end, the numbers end up wherever they end up.
Would that "future SD subchannel" be the new country music influenced diginet Circle? Figure it might be since Gray is part owner of it
post #3908 of 3934 Old 12-14-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Would that "future SD subchannel" be the new country music influenced diginet Circle? Figure it might be since Gray is part owner of it
Not sure. I would guess the same, but that's just a guess. (Only one thing's for sure: "Circle" will NOT be launching on KMNF in the "first wave" of national roll-out that's currently underway.)

7.3 was momentarily a weather graphics channel while testing. That could also return at some point.

--Keith

post #3909 of 3934 Old 12-16-2019, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Not sure. I would guess the same, but that's just a guess. (Only one thing's for sure: "Circle" will NOT be launching on KMNF in the "first wave" of national roll-out that's currently underway.)
bummer. Hopefully it comes soon
Quote:
7.3 was momentarily a weather graphics channel while testing. That could also return at some point.
hate to say it but I enjoyed the weather graphics/NOAA WX on 7.2 when you were testing. Especially when the snow was coming
post #3910 of 3934 Old 12-16-2019, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

--Keith Thelen
Keith
This morning (Monday) both episodes of Early Today had 6 minutes of commercials to end the show (which pre-empted the last news article). Last segment was weather (:24/:54) then 2 minutes of national ads then 4 minutes of local ads

Going through the NBC Nightly news for the last few days Thursday was the only episode that got cut short (Lester was talking after the last news clip and it cut off to a local commercial).

SNL started a few seconds late on Saturday. Didn't see the peacock that usually is shown before the show begins. Didn't miss anything of the show. Otherwise its looking good.

Tony

edit: same thing on Tuesday for both episodes of Early Today. 6 minutes of commercials to end the show

edit 2: same thing on Wednesday for both episodes of Early Today. 6 minutes of commercials to end the show

Last edited by unclehonkey; 12-18-2019 at 08:30 AM.
post #3911 of 3934 Old 12-20-2019, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thursday-both episodes of Early Today had 6 minutes of commercials to end the show.
Friday-The 4:30 episode had all segments (first time this week). The 5am episode had the 6 minutes of commercials

As for other national programming NBC Nightly News had no issues that I saw this week (all commercial breaks ended on time)
Fallon looked fine (didnt see anything out of the ordinary in regards to missing segments due to commercials)
Noticed Friday's episode of Hoda & Jenna started late (commercials then the KEYC NBC logo). When it joined the program we missed what they were going to talk about.

Tony

Last edited by unclehonkey; 12-20-2019 at 11:46 AM.
post #3912 of 3934 Old 12-26-2019, 06:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@kthelen
Figured I'd get one last list in before you embark on a new journey

Early Today-all episodes from Monday thru Thursday ended 6 minutes early with commercials.

Hoda & Jenna-12/20 it JIP'd the show 1 minute in and on 12/24 it was 1:45 of commercials before the show so when the feed was joined they already started the first segment

NBC National News-12/24 17 minutes in it came back from commercial 17 seconds late. 12/26 the 20 minute mark it came back 16 seconds late. This one is the easiest to figure out as Tivo has SkipMode for the show. So when I hit the "D" button it skips to the next segment with a 2 second gap (so it starts 2 seconds before the program should).

Thanks for all the help and insight you've provided for us here in this thread. I know I appreciate it!

Tony
post #3913 of 3934 Old 01-03-2020, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New Antenna install issues

Hello

You have helped me in the past post 3241-3249 is the info provided. I have set up two systems based on recommendations stellar labs anntennas and rca dual input amp and they are working great one in St Joe and one in Avon.
I am trying to install another for my parents just north of Cold Spring 70ish miles from Shoreview and it has been frustrating I am using the steller antennas on a single mast, grabbed an amp at menards before Christmas and found out on the roof it only had one input. Replaced the old antenna and mast and returned with a two way splitter that I installed as a combiner then into the single input RCA amp ran this setup to a single tv and ota dvr (tivo bolt) with a single meter in the dvr and am only able to receive vhf channel 11 with sub channels with this setup. Currently the old antenna is up along with an channel master amp the current antenna is old bent and broken but gets all the channels on good signal days. Any advice is there another amp option, I have ordered two additional RCA amps from separate sources as description stated they where dual input but only the single arrived. Is there a better way to combine uhf and vhf signal is the way I'm doing it causing an issue?

Any help would be great.

Thanks Jeff
post #3914 of 3934 Old 01-03-2020, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I would recommend combining the antennas with a VHF/UHF combiner. Newark.com sells part #33-2230 for $9.83. I also have a number of ASKA units I found on clearance. I'll sell you one of those for $5 (PM or call me at 952-491-0643).

I did an install in Cold Spring and another a little further out in Richmond (on a tip-up pole) - both pulled in the Cities with no issues. I know that the topography out there can become a challenge in spots. Does TVFool and/or RabbitEars.info predict NMs above about -5dB at that location. LTE interference and FM overload may also be considerations. You might also be dealing with a defective preamp. I've had that happen on occasion.

RCA, AFIK, has ceased manufacturing the dual-input models. So you're pretty much only going to find the single-inputs.
post #3915 of 3934 Old 01-05-2020, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Anyone else notice that picture size on the channel ThisTV seems to be stretched wrong. I sent a message to KSTP/KSTC. One of the engineers replied and said he was working on contacting ThisTV as their equipment was showing the same picture problems. I don't know if anyone views this forum topic from other markets that could chime in.
mattdp likes this.
post #3916 of 3934 Old 01-05-2020, 10:39 PM

Here is a screenshot of "In the Heat of the Night." the television show not he film.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ThisTVHeatOfTheNight.png
Views:	28
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	2665172  
MadmanR likes this.
post #3917 of 3934 Old 01-08-2020, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 27
THIS-TV "stretched picture" notes:

1. Noted that it's far more noticeable on non-widescreen content (such as older television shows just as seen in the screenshot you posted) but far less obvious on widescreen movies.
In fact, in the second case, while present, the "stretched picture" is rather subtle.

2. On an HDTV it remains again rather subtle while on a CRT (huge older SONY) it's REALLY hard to detect and I'd only have noticed when I looked for it, comparing LCD to CRT screens.

FWIW...

"In the choice between changing ones mind and proving there's no need to do so, most people get busy on the proof." - John Kenneth Galbraith
post #3918 of 3934 Old 01-08-2020, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Three of the four Katz Broadcasting networks carried on K33LN-D - Bounce, Laff and Grit - have gone dark. Court TV Mystery streams on...
post #3919 of 3934 Old 01-08-2020, 09:28 PM

Verified as still down as of 22:24
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeHanson View Post
Three of the four Katz Broadcasting networks carried on K33LN-D - Bounce, Laff and Grit - have gone dark. Court TV Mystery streams on...
...as does COZI but that ceased to matter once they began streaming their programming on YTTV.

Lawdy, those who run K33LN-D are such unconcerned a**holes, yes?

I guess it's not true for the 'low power' broadcasters but, once upon a time, such poor work at keeping a consistent signal PRESENT and AVAILABLE would have been grounds to file a formal complaint with the FCC...

"In the choice between changing ones mind and proving there's no need to do so, most people get busy on the proof." - John Kenneth Galbraith
post #3920 of 3934 Old 01-09-2020, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadmanR View Post
Verified as still down as of 22:24

...as does COZI but that ceased to matter once they began streaming their programming on YTTV.

Lawdy, those who run K33LN-D are such unconcerned a**holes, yes?

I guess it's not true for the 'low power' broadcasters but, once upon a time, such poor work at keeping a consistent signal PRESENT and AVAILABLE would have been grounds to file a formal complaint with the FCC...
As long as stations broadcast a station ID, I doubt the FCC cares that programming is "dead air". And I did catch a station ID on 33.3 around 7 PM.

I expect HC2 Broadcasting cares more about their full power stations with major network affiliations than a remotely managed low power station that probably fits in the space of a mini fridge and consumes less power than a large room space heater.
post #3921 of 3934 Old 01-09-2020, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeHanson View Post

I expect HC2 Broadcasting cares more about their full power stations with major network affiliations than a remotely managed low power station that probably fits in the space of a mini fridge and consumes less power than a large room space heater.
almost all their stations are low powered. Full powered stations can be counted (probably) on one hand
https://www.rabbitears.info/search.p...r=HC2+Holdings
(and yes a lot of those stations are not officially on the air. HC2 just owns the license for it)
MadmanR likes this.
post #3922 of 3934 Old 01-12-2020, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Minneapolis, MN ATSC 3.0

Now that it is 2020, does anybody here have any idea who is likely to be the first broadcaster in the Minneapolis Saint Paul DMA to begin broadcasting in ATSC 3.0?
post #3923 of 3934 Old 01-12-2020, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

To date, I have yet to hear anything other than "ATSC 3 will be in 40 US markets by the end of the year (which includes MSP). TVs and tuners are supposed to be out early this year, too. I'll be first in line to get one and will be doing extensive field-testing as soon as we get a 3.0 signal online, and will certainly report my findings. Very excited - cord-cutting is currently going gangbusters and 3.0 will launch it into the stratosphere.
MadmanR likes this.
post #3924 of 3934 Old 01-12-2020, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked: 347
If it's better for multipath than our current ATSC 1, I'm all in!
I'm getting real tired of stations randomly breaking up, at times unwatchable and as I record everything I watch, it's not like I can readjust things live
post #3925 of 3934 Old 01-24-2020, 12:38 AM

Recent change to E/I requirements

I noticed on wikipedia that rule changes were made for E/I programming requirements. It looks like the main channel is required to carry a certain amount, but subchannels don't have to carry any. Looking at the schedule for various Katz Broadcasting subchannels it looks like they no longer air any E/I programming. For K33LN-D with their main channel BounceTV they are not able to meet the E/I requirements.
post #3926 of 3934 Old 01-24-2020, 01:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I've always felt that, especially with the state of streaming content and the existence of OTA channels like PBS Kids 24x7, E/I rules are a colossal waste of time and money. I have to wonder what the ratings are for that stuff - probably through the floor. They basically killed Saturday Morning/After School cartoons. Good to see a change, IMO.

https://variety.com/2019/biz/news/ch...es-1203264076/
jjeff and MadmanR like this.

Last edited by mattdp; 01-24-2020 at 01:25 AM.
post #3927 of 3934 Old 02-13-2020, 09:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Circle, the Grand Ole Opry channel, is now live on 11.5 - bumping the market's subchannel count to 59 (63 if you get the WI PBS translator in River Falls).

KMSP's 9.9 channel is now mapping at 9.3. 9.4, 9.5 and 9.6 map correctly, however they're all missing guide data. I assume something crashed. Any idea when that happened? Probably in the last day or two.
post #3928 of 3934 Old 02-14-2020, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdp View Post
Circle, the Grand Ole Opry channel, is now live on 11.5 - bumping the market's subchannel count to 59 (63 if you get the WI PBS translator in River Falls).

KMSP's 9.9 channel is now mapping at 9.3. 9.4, 9.5 and 9.6 map correctly, however they're all missing guide data. I assume something crashed. Any idea when that happened? Probably in the last day or two.
Grand ole opry channel? First I've heard of that, cool! After Ken Burns great Country Music documentary, it reminded me of some of the great country music of the past. Heck I've even been listening to Bob FM more
So 11.5 is live now, just have to do a channel scan I'd imagine?
post #3929 of 3934 Old 02-14-2020, 10:07 AM

Thanks for the heads up, Matt!
Re-scans begun...
Quote:
As a life-long country music fan, this is exciting.

We'll see how well CIRCLE lives up to my hopes especially for 'classic' country (post WWII to the early '90s) starting at noon Saturday when 'Country Classics' is listed in their EPG.

Noted, too, that the EPG lists 'F Troop' (2 episodes) at 11:00 so I'l leave 11.5 on for awhile this morning.

-----

Something weird happened on the upper 9s yesterday: had watched DECADES at 07:00 Thursday and didn't look at KMSP again until late afternoon.
Gone, as you said, from .4, .5, .6 and .9
Although .3 ('Movies!') disappeared briefly, it came back in mid evening while none of the others did.
Disappointing to have missed the nightly 'Dark Shadows' episode at 23:00...

Quote:
After a re-scan completed 10 minutes ago I found the EPGs were back and the 'duplicates' for .4 & .5 are now being deleted.

post #3930 of 3934 Old 02-14-2020, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just re-scanned. KMSP channels 9.4-9.9 are all mapping correctly and showing guide data.
worachj likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page