Minneapolis, MN - OTA - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 259Likes

post #121 of 3926 Old 05-11-2006, 09:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhanson123 View Post

I live in Farmington, and I'm jumping into the HD realm with both feet this week. There's a blearing array of antenna's recommended. Does anyone live in Farmington, Lakeville, etc have a recommended setup for me? I'm leaning towards the Radio Shack 15-1880, but I don't see it listed on their website.

I have a Radio Shack antenna and it works very well, but I'm not in Farmington. Actually my situation is 22 miles line of sight, pretty much optimal conditions. I think the one you're looking for is the 15-2160, here's the link..

The almost universal recommendation for longer distance reception seems to be the ChannelMaster brand. I don't have personal experience with that one though.

If you haven't already, you should ask your question on HDTV Twin Cities since there are probably people in your neighborhood hanging out on that forum that could give you some advise.

-Mike

Audio: NAD T754 AVR | NAD C272 2ch amp
Source: Oppo UDP-203
Speakers: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (LR) | Horizon (C) | Sierra 1s (Back)
Subs: Rythmik FV15HP (x2)
Video: BenQ HT3050 DLP projector onto a Silver Ticket 135" screen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 3926 Old 05-12-2006, 09:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm in Lakeville and if you back up to page 4 in this thread you can see my post. I sit up pretty high in elevation but I'm thinking you may get pretty good results with the same setup. Mast, mounts, antenna and cable ran about $60.
post #123 of 3926 Old 06-07-2006, 02:23 PM

Hello,

Has anyone else who has TVGOS lost their listings for channel 45-1?
It's been a couple of weeks of "No Listing" for me.

Let me know what you know,

Timmer

OTA ONLY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 3926 Old 06-13-2006, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Has anyone experienced a loss of all digital channels last night? I couldn't bring in a single one. I usually can with 80-90 percent strength.

Michael
post #125 of 3926 Old 06-13-2006, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSilla View Post

Has anyone experienced a loss of all digital channels last night?

I watched channel 9 news at 9:00 and channel 11 from 10-11. They both worked great for me. Just in case I live about 10 miles S-E from the towers.
post #126 of 3926 Old 06-13-2006, 02:03 PM

Has anyone else experienced problems with ABC cutting out on them? This has been occurring since the last episode of LOST. I have an HTPC with a MDP100 MyHD card. My antennae is a square shooter with an amp. I am located in South Minneapolis, so the distance is not that far. I get NBC, CBS, PBS and FOX with no problems. I have the latest drivers for my hardware. I am trying to watch teh World Cup, but get so frustrated, I end up watching in normal definition......
post #127 of 3926 Old 06-15-2006, 08:05 PM

Does anyone have an idea if KCCO and KSAX in alexandria are gonna go full power and/or HD? I was curious cause I may be spending time up in the Otter Tail county area. Anyone have an idea?
post #128 of 3926 Old 06-19-2006, 07:49 PM

Liked: 11
Hello!

I am very frustrated right now.

My wife and I just moved to Montrose, MN- we are about 35 miles from the HDTV towers and they are located between 86 and 87 degrees from our house.

I am getting intermittant signals and it's driving me crazy! What I have done is disconnect the previous owner's satellite dish and used the RG59 cable to attach a rooftop antenna. I am using a mid-sized yagi style from Antennas Direct. The signals I was getting weren't strong, but they were working for most makor channels. I added a preamp and that helped a little but added some noise I didn't care for. I thought that a longer mast may help, so I added one today, and now I have NO SIGNAL at all and can't seem to get it back! I even tried a different antenna- a bowtie style that is supposed to have a 60 mile range- but nothing! What do I do? What is the problem?

Is it the cables? Are the satellite cables not fit for this application? It was working before...

I went back to the previous configuration with the lower mast and I still have NO signal. It was a beautiful clear day today.

Any suggestions???
post #129 of 3926 Old 06-19-2006, 08:14 PM

Liked: 11
Whoops- it is RG6. It's probably not the cable.
post #130 of 3926 Old 07-14-2006, 12:26 AM

I live south of Minneapolis, but would love to get local channels from NY so I could watch the Giants play. Is there anyway I can get them through any sat provider or cable? I think I used to get them through sat when I lived in Texas. Waivers?

Thanks
post #131 of 3926 Old 07-14-2006, 09:50 AM

It depends. If you live far enough south of Minneapolis then you will likely be eligible for NY locals through Dish and DirecTV through a waiver. However, if you are close to Minneapolis I doubt they will let you do it. Luckily for you, NY is usually one of the options for distant channels.
post #132 of 3926 Old 07-14-2006, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by What? View Post

I live south of Minneapolis, but would love to get local channels from NY so I could watch the Giants play. Is there anyway I can get them through any sat provider or cable? I think I used to get them through sat when I lived in Texas. Waivers?

You can't do it anymore. The only way to make it happen is to go with DirecTV and buy NFL Sunday Ticket.

You can't get waivers because DirecTV and Dish both offer LiL and HD LiL to the Minneapolis/St. Paul market. That means that the local Fox/CBS affiliate is available to you via satellite, so they can't offer you a distant one. And you can't argue that you don't get a decent signal from a broadcast station because DirecTV and Dish are offering you a "perfect" one from them.

Two Canadian satellite providers offer HD channels from the east and west coast, and you could buy into these in the "gray market." However, given how tough those companies have gotten on piracy and middlemen, I think you'd spend less money and be safer to go the truly legal route of DirecTV.
post #133 of 3926 Old 07-21-2006, 01:21 PM

Is 16 running at very low power? I have yet to receive it in Duluth (via tropo). 26, 32, 35, 44, and 50 come in here quite often on summer nights with good stable signals. I also can get 34 and 22, and 21 after local KQDS-TV signs off, when conditions are good to very good. However, I hardly even see a sign (carrier offset) of KTCI-DT.
post #134 of 3926 Old 07-21-2006, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sregener View Post

You can't do it anymore. The only way to make it happen is to go with DirecTV and buy NFL Sunday Ticket.

You can't get waivers because DirecTV and Dish both offer LiL and HD LiL to the Minneapolis/St. Paul market. That means that the local Fox/CBS affiliate is available to you via satellite, so they can't offer you a distant one. And you can't argue that you don't get a decent signal from a broadcast station because DirecTV and Dish are offering you a "perfect" one from them.

I have both FOX and CBS NYC feeds from DirecTV. Minneapolis is an "owned and operated" area, so we're allowed to. Has that recently changed, and I'm simply grandfathered in?

CW
post #135 of 3926 Old 07-22-2006, 09:17 AM

Is there anyone that can give me some advice on get the local HD channels in Sartell (St Cloud). I have Directv and got the waivers for CBS & FOX. Very frustrated, live too far away that I am aware to get the signal but still won't grant the waiver. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
post #136 of 3926 Old 10-11-2006, 09:00 AM

Has the signal strength of PBS HD (2-1) dropped in the last couple of weeks or is there some seasonal atmospheric condition that attenuates their signal?

Either that or my roof top antenna moved in the high winds we've had lately. All the major OTA networks still come in just fine, though. Only having trouble with PBS. Anyone else seeing this?
post #137 of 3926 Old 10-20-2006, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Never got 2-1 or 17-1 perfectly, but they really suck now. Can't watch 'em.

DirecTV & Dish HD Channel Spreadsheet
DirecTV & Dish HD Channels Listed by Package
Frank  TiVangelist since Aug 1999, HD since Dec 2002, DirecTV since Aug 2004, DECA/MRV since Nov 2010
post #138 of 3926 Old 11-05-2006, 05:50 PM

I'm right under the approach to RWY 12R at MSP (50th & Lydale) and look into the wheel bays on arrivals. That means RWY 12L is between me and Shorewood. Can I get by with a Channel Master 4221 or 4248 or will a more directional antenna serve me better to avoid multi-path. Any suggestions?

With 65 degrees forcast for Tuesday and Wednesday I have this desire to get up on my roof. ;-)
post #139 of 3926 Old 11-07-2006, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosque View Post

I'm right under the approach to RWY 12R at MSP (50th & Lydale) and look into the wheel bays on arrivals. That means RWY 12L is between me and Shorewood. Can I get by with a Channel Master 4221 or 4248 or will a more directional antenna serve me better to avoid multi-path. Any suggestions?

With 65 degrees forcast for Tuesday and Wednesday I have this desire to get up on my roof. ;-)

check with antennaweb for suggested antenna type.
I live under 12L near lake nokomis and most days my little indoor antenna works fine for pulling in HD signals. You might want to do the math. antenna service cable is not that expensive. I have not noticed a difference in quality between the digital broadcast signals over cable vs. OTA.
post #140 of 3926 Old 11-14-2006, 12:27 PM

Hey folks! I just found this great forum. I live in southern MN, but am in the Twin Cities market - reception can be iffy at times because of distance issues. Anyhow, I just did a scan and noticed that KSTC now has a 45.2 channel. The PSIP says it is a future channel for HD sports. Has anyone heard about that? If that's true, I'll be pumped once Hubbard launches that channel - imagine the T-Wolves & Wild in HD, and it's FREE!
post #141 of 3926 Old 11-23-2006, 04:15 AM
Advanced Member

Hey werd..I'm trying to figure out where to get the best HDTV signal from...would it be time warner? And I'm guessing digital cable will provide a stellar signal? they always have seemed pretty top notch.
post #142 of 3926 Old 11-23-2006, 06:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 717 Post(s)
Liked: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyisc00l View Post

Hey werd..I'm trying to figure out where to get the best HDTV signal from...would it be time warner? And I'm guessing digital cable will provide a stellar signal? they always have seemed pretty top notch.

You'll get the best signal with an antenna and the channels are free!
post #143 of 3926 Old 11-25-2006, 11:47 PM
Advanced Member

yeaa rigght ur kidding right? I want all the channels though...not just basic, tnt, tbs, etc etc..!
post #144 of 3926 Old 11-26-2006, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 717 Post(s)
Liked: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyisc00l View Post

yeaa rigght ur kidding right? I want all the channels though...not just basic, tnt, tbs, etc etc..!

For the locals in HD your best source is an antenna (4,5,9,11 and a couple others). With the antenna you take the provider out of the equation as a lot of them tend to mess with the signal and degrade it before it gets to you. But you will need a tuner if your TV does not have one.

With that said, if you want more channels you'll need to go with cable or satellite. In general, TWC will have better PQ than either DirecTV or Dish Network. But Dish Network will give you more channels than any other provider. Do some searches on this issue as it gets asked quite often. Do a search on HD-Lite as wel if you have not heard the term. Check out each of the providers websites and compare channels and cost.

Another great resource for you is www.hdtvtwincities.com

Check all of this out and decide for yourself which is the best option for you.
post #145 of 3926 Old 01-01-2007, 08:39 AM

Does anyone know what happened to TheTube on Channel 23.2? I loved that channel, and now it's gone!
post #146 of 3926 Old 01-23-2007, 08:27 PM

I live about 70 or more miles from the Twin cities. Is there a possility that I will be able to recieve HDTV OTA? If so, will it be only an outdoor antenna or will an indoor antenna work too? It would be best to have an indoor antenna but if that is not the case, will someone recommend a good antenna that will be able to receive the signals? I was thinking about this one, DB8 Multidirectional Antenna, but I'm not sure how it will work for me. It seemed that I have to buy the amplifier and other assessories and that is little costly. That is why I like to go with indoor antenna if possible.
post #147 of 3926 Old 01-23-2007, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljCharlie View Post

I live about 70 or more miles from the Twin cities. Is there a possility that I will be able to recieve HDTV OTA? If so, will it be only an outdoor antenna or will an indoor antenna work too? It would be best to have an indoor antenna but if that is not the case, will someone recommend a good antenna that will be able to receive the signals? I was thinking about this one, DB8 Multidirectional Antenna, but I'm not sure how it will work for me. It seemed that I have to buy the amplifier and other assessories and that is little costly. That is why I like to go with indoor antenna if possible.

ljCharlie
go to http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx and follow the prompts to choose an antenna
also visit http://www.hdtvtwincities.com/forumbb/index.php for a more "local" site, it seems to get visited more than this particular avs thread
especially, see this thread:
http://www.hdtvtwincities.com/forumb...pic.php?t=2744
as far as a particlar antenna, i see a lot of people talking about channel master or a silver sensor

good luck

tim

OTA ONLY
post #148 of 3926 Old 01-23-2007, 09:59 PM

Thanks for the help. I will try the thread you suggested. However, I did go to the antennaweb site but it does not show any digital channels from the Twin Cities area. That is why I found this thread.
post #149 of 3926 Old 01-24-2007, 04:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 23
The HDTV Twin Cities website is your best bet. There are a couple guys that are way out there that are receiving Twin Cities signals.

At 70 miles, you're looking at a very large outdoor antenna with an amplifier, probably on a high tower. Because of curvature of the earth, you'll need to be high.

Some of your capabilities will be tied to the physical location. If you're geographically higher than most of your area, you have a good chance. If you're in a low area, you probably won't have any luck with any setup.

Audio: NAD T754 AVR | NAD C272 2ch amp
Source: Oppo UDP-203
Speakers: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (LR) | Horizon (C) | Sierra 1s (Back)
Subs: Rythmik FV15HP (x2)
Video: BenQ HT3050 DLP projector onto a Silver Ticket 135" screen
post #150 of 3926 Old 01-24-2007, 08:11 AM

It's hard to say what you will or won't get. I live in Owatonna, and am able to get all the TC stations except tpt 16.1-.5. I have an attic mounted antenna, but perhaps just have a fortunate location. What's your zip code?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page