1Likes

post #931 of 939 Old 01-18-2018, 09:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonTV View Post
Living in west side of BA (house faces SW) and can't seem to find a decent indoor antenna that can grab all the locals. I just tried the Terk Trinity and I got most channels but 2 and 8 are my tougher ones. If I move antenna to get 8.1, I lost channel 2.1, if I move antenna again, I lose 8.1 but get 5 bars for 2.1. Very frustrating.

Anyone have a suggestion for a decent amplified antenna that won't break the back? Like to stay around $50.

I’m in SW BA and use the ClearStream 2V mounted in the attic crawl space and pick up just about every channel available in the area. We’re south of 131st/129th and are part way down a hillside with tons of trees all around. For what it’s worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 939 Old 12-17-2018, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am new to the OTA arena. I live on top of a hill and I’m trying to lock in ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX using a Clearstream 2V mounted on my chimney with zero obstructions. I'm in Owasso, OK (Stone Canyon). I’m hoping someone might shine some light on my issue. I am getting a perfect and stable image from 50+ stations except Fox 23. It shows 100%, but then intermittently drops out. TV Fool shows it being the strongest of all the towers concentrated in that area, so I'm really scratching my head as to why the issue. Since I am on a significant hill overlooking Tulsa, I don't have any obstructions. I am guessing there is some sort of interference I need to deal with?

Do you have any suggested of what one might add or change to troubleshoot/remedy from here? I’m stuck.

Here is a link to my TV Fool Analysis... http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...903859684c7faa

Using the Signal GH IOS app, I was able to determine that the towers are all in line from my location. Fox is the closest at 16 miles away. CBS and NBC are on the same tower just behind it also listed at 16 miles, and finally the ABC tower is a little further behind those at 21 miles. From my location they are pretty much lined up in a row within a degree of each other.

Here is a link to a folder of photos for reference. https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...Y6?usp=sharing

IMG_0770 - App screenshot showing my location and towers
IMG_0769 - App screenshot of towers
IMG_0771 - App screenshot of signal strength reported by HDHomeRun Quattro
IGM_0773 - App screen shot of signal drop out over time on Fox 23.
IMG_0777 - Photo of my roof install on the chimney
IMG-0776 - Photo with phone flat against antenna to show it's POV

I used brand new RG6 quad shield cabling (50 ft) and high quality connectors to connect the Clearstream 2V directly to a new HDHomeRun Quattro.

Thanks!
post #933 of 939 Old 12-19-2018, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkt2rde View Post
I am new to the OTA arena. I live on top of a hill and I’m trying to lock in ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX using a Clearstream 2V mounted on my chimney with zero obstructions. I'm in Owasso, OK (Stone Canyon). I’m hoping someone might shine some light on my issue. I am getting a perfect and stable image from 50+ stations except Fox 23. It shows 100%, but then intermittently drops out. TV Fool shows it being the strongest of all the towers concentrated in that area, so I'm really scratching my head as to why the issue. Since I am on a significant hill overlooking Tulsa, I don't have any obstructions. I am guessing there is some sort of interference I need to deal with?

Do you have any suggested of what one might add or change to troubleshoot/remedy from here? I’m stuck.

Here is a link to my TV Fool Analysis... http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...903859684c7faa

Using the Signal GH IOS app, I was able to determine that the towers are all in line from my location. Fox is the closest at 16 miles away. CBS and NBC are on the same tower just behind it also listed at 16 miles, and finally the ABC tower is a little further behind those at 21 miles. From my location they are pretty much lined up in a row within a degree of each other.

Here is a link to a folder of photos for reference. https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...Y6?usp=sharing

IMG_0770 - App screenshot showing my location and towers
IMG_0769 - App screenshot of towers
IMG_0771 - App screenshot of signal strength reported by HDHomeRun Quattro
IGM_0773 - App screen shot of signal drop out over time on Fox 23.
IMG_0777 - Photo of my roof install on the chimney
IMG-0776 - Photo with phone flat against antenna to show it's POV

I used brand new RG6 quad shield cabling (50 ft) and high quality connectors to connect the Clearstream 2V directly to a new HDHomeRun Quattro.

Thanks!
I have a similar issue with Digital Channel 8.1 (KTUL) and my Tablo. If I'm running the antenna signal directly to the TV, I don't have a single problem. I added a Tablo tuner/DVR and it shows full signal on all channels, but Channel 8 buffers/drops out for no apparent reason. I'm considering mounting a larger antenna array in the attic to see if the additional surface area helps any, and maybe an amplifier if that doesn't fix it. Have you tried using a signal amplifier on the Clearstream 2V?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #934 of 939 Old 12-19-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haulnazz15 View Post
I have a similar issue with Digital Channel 8.1 (KTUL) and my Tablo. If I'm running the antenna signal directly to the TV, I don't have a single problem. I added a Tablo tuner/DVR and it shows full signal on all channels, but Channel 8 buffers/drops out for no apparent reason. I'm considering mounting a larger antenna array in the attic to see if the additional surface area helps any, and maybe an amplifier if that doesn't fix it. Have you tried using a signal amplifier on the Clearstream 2V?
Thanks. I'm pretty certain an amplifier isn't necessary... I think those are used to maintain the signal you get over longer runs. Based on my short distance and clear path to the towers. I'm more inclined to think I have a really strong signal, but maybe some interference... just don't know how to diagnose what interference I'm dealing with. I'm thinking about just ordering a range of attenuators and experimenting to see what happens.

Your issue, if it works fine plugged directly into your TV's tuner, sounds like it might be isolated to your Tablo and/or network conditions. Digital OTA signals don't buffer, they just break up (pixelate). Your hardware will just capture all that pixelation and stream it as is (just like you were watching it directly on a TV Tuner). But if it buffers, that is either your hardware struggling to keep up with encoding/serving it... or your network connection not being able to deliver it to your playback device.
post #935 of 939 Old 12-19-2018, 01:01 PM

Well, the Tablo processes a loss of signal like buffering, so it’s just the way it appears on the tv. It only happens with 8.1, not the other 20 channels.

As far as your possible interference issue, it’s possible to get reflections of a signal and it will show a strong signal, but it’s not a direct LOS signal. Some of the 2Edge signals can be like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #936 of 939 Old 12-23-2018, 04:21 PM

Update: Bought a 3db, 6db, and 12db attenuator. Used all of them stacked and still having the same issue. Also tried an LTE filter. Nothing working so far. It is possible that 21db is not enough attenuation. It cut some of my signals down to 68% signal strength to get the Fox 23 signal down to 89%. Still dropping out... so I'm beginning to think there is something weird going on... just don't know what.
post #937 of 939 Old 12-24-2018, 06:39 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 2380 Post(s)
Liked: 4564
How frequent and how regular are the dropouts? As specific as you can measure. And how long do the dropouts last?

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #938 of 939 Old 12-24-2018, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Another question would be whether there are any time patterns for the dropouts in terms of daily cycles...i.e. only during business hours suggests man-made interference from cordless microphone etc. Or if it is more pronounced during windy weather that suggests multi-path issues from trees etc.

To really understand what's going on you'll need a spectrum analyzer to give a visual display of the 6 MHz wide channel. This will show immediately if the dropouts are due to a single frequency interfering transmitter (like a cordless mike or rogue walkie talkie, multi-path, LTE harmonic etc). I have used a software defined receiver (SDRPlay RSP1) for a couple of years now and it has been incredibly useful to troubleshoot odd signal problems with OTA signals.
post #939 of 939 Old 12-25-2018, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 2380 Post(s)
Liked: 4564
Quote:
Originally Posted by tustinfarm View Post
Another question would be whether there are any time patterns for the dropouts in terms of daily cycles...i.e. only during business hours suggests man-made interference from cordless microphone etc. Or if it is more pronounced during windy weather that suggests multi-path issues from trees etc.
My reason for asking was that, if memory serves, he's right on final approach for TUL.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page