LaCrosse / Wausau, WI - HDTV - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #31 of 1634 Old 12-02-2004, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have just talked with Charter about offering HD channels in our area and it sound like the Wausau/Wis Rapids areas should have the locals plus ESPN, HD Net, HBO and Showtime on Monday the 6th of December. When i talked with Charter today they said it looks like I should be able to receive these stations on Monday but call back and they will have all of the addresses updated to see exactly where the different packages are offered. Here is a link to the Wausau paper about the new addition.

http://www.wausaudailyherald.com/wdh...11207718.shtml
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1634 Old 12-03-2004, 02:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by sregener
My apologies for the typo. I meant, "I know *not* all" not, "now all."

No problem. That is what I figured.

Quote:

My advice would be to complain to Charter about their box, not to WKBT.

I really don't think this is an issue with Charter. It would be the same way getting it over the air. Charter just passes along the signal they get out of the air.

The fact that CBS is the only one I have this issue with means that the other HD local stations are doing something better (right). And therefore WKBT could do the same, they just don't want to (or they don't think there is a good enough reason to).
post #33 of 1634 Old 12-04-2004, 06:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Micah008
I really don't think this is an issue with Charter. It would be the same way getting it over the air. Charter just passes along the signal they get out of the air.

The problem isn't with how Charter chooses to pass the signal along. The problem is with their HD STB they've rented to you. That box should have the ability to force 4:3 on 16:9 programming, but it doesn't. I have two HD tuners (different brands) for OTA reception and *both* can do this.

I think WKBT would be smarter to use 4:3 framing since there are a number of people with your problem. Yet the fact remains that Charter can fix your problem with a box that can force 4:3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 1634 Old 12-05-2004, 06:36 AM

srenger-

You are completely right that a different cable box could fix this (or my TV even could if it had the right modes)... but I think WKBT is still the real one at fault.

I think we are in agreement here anyway.

Still no word from Fox. I think it will be 25.1 for you, so let me know if it shows up.
post #35 of 1634 Old 12-06-2004, 04:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

This just showed up in the FCC database:

WLAX WI LA CROSSE USA (Digital)

Licensee: GRANT MEDIA LLC
Service Designation: DS Special Temporary Authority (digital)

Channel: 17 488 - 494 MHz
File No.: BDSTA-20041122AJL Facility ID number: 2710
CDBS Application ID No.: 1032166

43° 48' 15.00" N Latitude
91° 22' 20.00" W Longitude (NAD 27)

Polarization:
Effective Radiated Power (ERP): 2.46 kW ERP
Antenna Height Above Average Terrain: 177. meters HAAT
Antenna Height Above Mean Sea Level: 446.6 meters AMSL
Antenna Height Above Ground Level: 0. meters AGL

That 2.46kw is pretty low, and the antenna height is well under 1/2 of their analog broadcasting location. I'm guessing they might cover a 5-10 mile area with that, and given the topography of the La Crosse area, it's unlikely even that everyone in that radius will get anything.

WEUX still has no STA in the database.
post #36 of 1634 Old 12-07-2004, 07:17 PM

Great!!

I looked up that position and it looks like the tower is over in Minnesota (west of La Crescent, and north of Hokah). It is probably on top of the bluffs, so it may not need to be as tall?

Is that the same location as their analog tower?

Where did you find this info?
post #37 of 1634 Old 12-07-2004, 08:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I looked up that position and it looks like the tower is over in Minnesota (west of La Crescent, and north of Hokah). It is probably on top of the bluffs, so it may not need to be as tall?

Is that the same location as their analog tower?

Where did you find this info?

The La Crosse stations (WHLA, WXOW and WLAX) share the same towers which are visible from I-90 in a fair direction into Minnesota and from downtown La Crosse. The STA lists the height above ground level as zero, meaning the digital broadcasting antenna will be located at the *base* of the tower. Their analog one is some 100+ meters above the ground. So if you have line-of-sight to the base of the tower, and you're less than 20 miles away, I'd say you have a good shot at getting a signal with a quality outdoor antenna. Otherwise, forget it.

You can query the FCC for license information for any station in the country here:
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/video/tvq.html

Simply type in the call letters and select 'TV Query' from the output selection list. "Licensed" means they're running full power. "STA" means they have a temporary authority to broadcast at less than full power. "CP" or "Construction Permit" means that is what the station is authorized to build out to, but that they haven't done so.
post #38 of 1634 Old 12-09-2004, 07:31 PM

WLAX (Fox 25) Digital is now on the air as of this afternoon.
post #39 of 1634 Old 12-10-2004, 03:25 PM

Have you heard anything about fox 48?
post #40 of 1634 Old 12-10-2004, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

WLAX (Fox 25) Digital is now on the air as of this afternoon.

As expected, not even a blip on the meter at 58 miles...
post #41 of 1634 Old 12-10-2004, 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jimboeau
Have you heard anything about fox 48?

Fox 48 is "Pending". I am not sure the date they are shooting for. Their Chief Engineer has been good about providing information, you could call/email him.
post #42 of 1634 Old 12-13-2004, 02:41 PM

Quote:

Fox 48 is "Pending". I am not sure the date they are shooting for. Their Chief Engineer has been good about providing information, you could call/email him.

I just got an email message from the chief engineer.

According to him 48.1 will not be up until the end of 2nd Quarter 2005 and when it does it will just be 480i as 25.1 is now, but it will be about 5kW. 720p will not come until they are both up and running. My guess is we'll be lucky to have HD before the end of 2005 on both 25.1 and 48.1
post #43 of 1634 Old 12-14-2004, 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jimboeau
I just got an email message from the chief engineer.

According to him 48.1 will not be up until the end of 2nd Quarter 2005 and when it does it will just be 480i as 25.1 is now, but it will be about 5kW. 720p will not come until they are both up and running. My guess is we'll be lucky to have HD before the end of 2005 on both 25.1 and 48.1

I have specifically asked about High Definition on 25, and they said "before the Superbowl" multiple times. Maybe they meant Digital before the superbowl, but I have always specifically asked about HD.
post #44 of 1634 Old 12-14-2004, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I have specifically asked about High Definition on 25, and they said "before the Superbowl" multiple times. Maybe they meant Digital before the superbowl, but I have always specifically asked about HD.

One of two possibilities, here:

1) They assumed you're stupid and don't know the difference between digital and HD.

2) They're stupid and don't know the difference between digital and HD.

Many engineers of small-market stations fall into category #2.
post #45 of 1634 Old 12-15-2004, 02:41 PM

Quote:

One of two possibilities, here:

1) They assumed you're stupid and don't know the difference between digital and HD.

2) They're stupid and don't know the difference between digital and HD.

Many engineers of small-market stations fall into category #2.

After talking to them about it today, I think it is actually an option #3:

3) The engineer and staff were all told by their "corporate office" that they would do true HD, but when the office realized how much it cost they backed it down some and only bought the equipment for SD digital.
post #46 of 1634 Old 12-15-2004, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

After talking to them about it today, I think it is actually an option #3:

3) The engineer and staff were all told by their "corporate office" that they would do true HD, but when the office realized how much it cost they backed it down some and only bought the equipment for SD digital.

Probably true. This is, after all, one of the last stations in the country to go digital, in spite of being two years past the "official" deadline. Their extensions have all been because of extreme financial distress.
post #47 of 1634 Old 01-12-2005, 04:21 PM

Bah...I'd really like to have me some HD Super Bowl and even moreso...some HD 24! :/
post #48 of 1634 Old 01-12-2005, 07:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I could handle just a SD digital signal from FOX right now.
post #49 of 1634 Old 01-13-2005, 10:20 AM

So they're STILL not digital? I actually don't get OTA, I'm being raped by Charter (and not liking it too much). I'm pretty disappointed with their HD lineup but don't want to hassle at this point with installing a new antenna to pick up OTA HD and switch to Dish. So the general news is that they won't be going HD 'til probably closer to the end of the year but should be at least digital (480p) soon? When they go digital will charter have to pick up their digital broadcast and put it on a diff channel like they do with the other local DTVs?
post #50 of 1634 Old 01-13-2005, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by smakz0r
So the general news is that they won't be going HD 'til probably closer to the end of the year but should be at least digital (480p) soon? When they go digital will charter have to pick up their digital broadcast and put it on a diff channel like they do with the other local DTVs?

There is no digital must-carry law on the books right now. Charter is free to carry or not carry any digital station they choose.

Typically, a station that only converts their analog signal to digital does so at 480i, not 480p.
post #51 of 1634 Old 01-13-2005, 11:23 AM

Quote:

There is no digital must-carry law on the books right now. Charter is free to carry or not carry any digital station they choose.

Typically, a station that only converts their analog signal to digital does so at 480i, not 480p.

ok...what I meant by "have to" was that I'll have to wait for Charter to pick it up as I don't have an OTA tuner...and the digital signal will have better picture quality and sound right?
post #52 of 1634 Old 01-13-2005, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by smakz0r
ok...what I meant by "have to" was that I'll have to wait for Charter to pick it up as I don't have an OTA tuner...and the digital signal will have better picture quality and sound right?

Yes, you'll have to wait if you don't have an OTA tuner.

And I've seen digital signals that are inferior to their analog counterparts, and ones that are much, much better. Given that they have no HD equipment in house, it will probably be no better than a "perfect" analog signal would be.
post #53 of 1634 Old 01-21-2005, 07:15 AM

After rereading I'm still not sure whether or not WLAX has started broadcasting in digital...have they? And correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like we probably won't be HD until maybe November? BTW...I've also sent an email to the tech guy and he just told me he wouldn't give any information other than that they were working on it.
post #54 of 1634 Old 01-21-2005, 08:21 AM
BJS

Word on the street (and I'm in Eau Claire, so I cannot confirm) is that WLAX-DT is 4:3 480p that Charter is refusing to carry due to it "not being HD". WLAX and WEUX up here in Eau Claire/Chippewa Falls is the true definition of "broadcasting on a dime". If this battle keeps up, I'm hoping Charter's rumored threat of looking into Fox HD out of the Twin Cities is true...

Jack Bauer needs to be in HD.
post #55 of 1634 Old 01-21-2005, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by BJS
Word on the street (and I'm in Eau Claire, so I cannot confirm) is that WLAX-DT is 4:3 480p that Charter is refusing to carry due to it "not being HD". WLAX and WEUX up here in Eau Claire/Chippewa Falls is the true definition of "broadcasting on a dime". If this battle keeps up, I'm hoping Charter's rumored threat of looking into Fox HD out of the Twin Cities is true...

The owners of WEUX and WLAX, Grant Media LLC, lost a lawsuit a few years back that put them in dire straits. They were granted repeated extensions of the FCC's requirement to broadcast a digital signal due to financial problems. Grant Media claimed that the costs associated with going digital would literally bankrupt them. Apparently, the FCC agreed. So, while they *are* broadcasting on a dime, it's not because they're trying to be cheap. It just appears that their "Sex.com" business hasn't been doing as well as they'd like and they lost their shirts on it.

FWIW, Charter cannot pipe a distant Fox station, even a HD version, into an exclusively controlled market. Unless Fox corporate renegotiates the affiliate agreement that gives each station exclusitivity to its market, Charter would be in violation of copyright law for providing a distant Fox HD feed.
post #56 of 1634 Old 01-21-2005, 08:45 AM
BJS

I recall for a while getting a UPN station of out the Twin Cities until it switched to the one in La Crosse, but that may have been due to the face that the La Crosse station just started operations.
post #57 of 1634 Old 01-24-2005, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by lovebohn
I have two questions for Wausau viewers. First, has anyone had problems with CBS and audio drop outs or just clips with the sound. It's enough to notice but not bad enough to turn the channel.

Are you still getting these drop outs? I am also getting them, only on ABC (WAOW).
post #58 of 1634 Old 01-24-2005, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Good then i don't feel like the only person. I guess we are all a bunch of beta testers for digital TV right now!
post #59 of 1634 Old 01-28-2005, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I just got off the phone with Fox 48 in Eau Claire. The lady said they plan to start broadcasting digital in the sping. She offered to let me speak with the engineer but I figured it wasn't worth the trouble just yet. I doubt we'll see true 720P from them by next football season, and maybe not even the following.
Maybe they should sell to someone who can actually afford to run a business of this sort.

...is you is, or is you ain't my constituency?
post #60 of 1634 Old 02-06-2005, 01:47 AM

I live on the northside of La Crosse by the Black River and I have Voom (for however long). I was antenna upgraded last summer to a SquareShooter and get channels 8, 19, and 31, but not 13 because it is too far away and to the northeast of me. As long as Voom is continueing on with business as usual I want to see about another antenna upgrade to get channel 13, but I need some suggestions as to what antenna to go with. From what I have read, channel 13 hd gets into downtown
La Crosse and I am 2.5 miles closer than that. I also know that people in Onalaska, just 2.5 miles north of me receive channel 13 hd and it is mapped on my Voom channel guide. Even if I have to pay something for another antenna, I would have to anyway, and this way I would get somebody to put it up who knows what they are doing.

If I can get channel 13 hd, then I can drop Charter cable's basic lineup and save $13 a month. If and when Voom goes I would like to have an ota antenna which will get my locals. According to their program guide, Charter does not even carry channel 31 with their hd package. Whenever Fox 25 comes into the picture I should be able to get it because it should be near 19 and 31. So if worst comes to worst, I would like to be set for ota hd with my locals.

On Friday I signed for Va Va Voom which gives me virtually all of the channels they carry, but one, and I now have about 30 additional movie channels including 6 or so in hd. Despite all the talk of Voom going under they signed me up in about 5 minutes and I had the channels. It will cost me about another $42 per month for however long they last, but I figured I would get my fill of hd while I could.
The trouble is that if I drop Va Va Voom and go back to what I had, it will cost me $10 more per month because my monthly fee had been grandfathered in at a lower rate.
Although, if I can get channel 13 with a new antenna it will save me $13 a month, so overall I will be ahead a few bucks.
So I look at it that it is mostly a win-win situation for me.

Has anyone heard any more about Fox 25 here in La Crosse? I know there will be many around here who will be disappointed tonight about the Super Bowl if it is not in hd. It doesn't bother me because I ban watching the Super Bowl although I am football fan and grew up a Packer fan. Just a personal, quirky choice of mine.
I also refuse to shop at WalMart for what I consider lots of valid reasons.

TIA for any help or answers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page