LaCrosse / Wausau, WI - HDTV - Page 20 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #571 of 1634 Old 12-15-2007, 02:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone one else picking up 48-1? I'm picking up WEUX-DT now but it is broadcasting only in 480 right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 1634 Old 12-19-2007, 03:12 PM

Liked: 11
Check out WEUX's analog channel. That doesn't look like Everybody Loves Raymond.
Code:
          WEUX FOX 48
 IS CURRENTLY HAVING TECHNICAL
   DIFFICULTIES. IF YOU HAVE
   QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS YOU
    WILL NEED TO CONTACT THE
 FOX STATION.
   WEUX FOX 48 (608-781-0025)
    HOPES TO HAVE THIS ISSUE
  RESOLVED IN THE NEAR FUTURE.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR UNDERSTANDING
post #573 of 1634 Old 12-19-2007, 08:44 PM

FYI. I have been getting WJFW NBC through Charter QAM for the last few weeks. Sunday Night Football in high def finally!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #574 of 1634 Old 12-20-2007, 12:55 PM

VsGLF is now active on Charter in EAU/CF...

Hockey in HD, about time..
post #575 of 1634 Old 12-22-2007, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybeway36 View Post

Check out WEUX's analog channel. That doesn't look like Everybody Loves Raymond.
Code:
          WEUX FOX 48
 IS CURRENTLY HAVING TECHNICAL
   DIFFICULTIES. IF YOU HAVE
   QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS YOU
    WILL NEED TO CONTACT THE
 FOX STATION.
   WEUX FOX 48 (608-781-0025)
    HOPES TO HAVE THIS ISSUE
  RESOLVED IN THE NEAR FUTURE.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR UNDERSTANDING

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey Kids!

Haven't checked in for a little while...seems a few of you are getting a little testy...

Anyways, here's an update...

As for the little announcement CHARTER-Eau Claire had running back on Wednesday...

WEUX-TV (48.0-Analog) went off the air at 0800.05 in order to transition over to a new transmission line that had been installed on the tower during the previous week...

Before the Xmtr. could be re-attached to the line, the new line had to be swept and "tuned" for flat response and checked for any anomolies...once that was completed, the full transmisison system had to be tested for the same responses.

That was completed and the transmitter was brought back on the air around 1752.30 Wednesday evening.

Long story short...we avoided a line burn-out.

NOW...AS FOR THE CURRENT STATE OF DIGITAL UPGRADING...

During the past 4 months, I've been getting an addition added to our building. That was "completed" just in time to take delivery of the new High-powered Digital transmitter. That unit is currently being tested for "infant-mortality" purposes...i.e.: "If it burns up now, better now than after it's on the air."

As it stands, once the FCC approves a few applications for CP modifications, we can order our antenna, get it installed and THEN, the new Digital Transmitter can be put on-line and the digital power can then be increased.

If you're all nice and everything, I'll keep you posted as to what's happening WHEN it occurs...due to the recent spate of copper thefts and related vandalism in the Eau Claire/Chippewa Falls area, and for SECURITY REASONS, I will NOT be posting anticipated schedules for any work...Only COMPLETED PROJECTS will be announced...

I'm sorry for any inconvenience caused by this policy, but with the way stuff disappears, ANY problems in any of the projects will cause extreme delays that may lead to further issues not already discussed here.

Thank you for your time, patience and understanding...

Respectfully,

Mark G. Burg
Chief Operator/Chief Engineer
WLAX TV-DT / WEUX TV-DT
La Crosse / Chippewa Falls-Eau Claire, WI.

o-608.781.0025, x.205

Respectfully,

Mark
post #576 of 1634 Old 12-22-2007, 04:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for the update, Mark.

Any word on WLAX-DT? Actual, honest-to-goodness HD content?
post #577 of 1634 Old 12-23-2007, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sregener View Post

Thanks for the update, Mark.

Any word on WLAX-DT? Actual, honest-to-goodness HD content?

Nope. Not yet...

Respectfully,

Mark
post #578 of 1634 Old 12-24-2007, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meichacker View Post

FYI. I have been getting WJFW NBC through Charter QAM for the last few weeks. Sunday Night Football in high def finally!

...Apparently I'm going to have to rescan my channels. I'd be curious to hear where on the dial you're pulling in the station, just in case I can't find it using my XBR970's auto-scan. (I get WAOW-DT at 101.1, WSAW-DT and -DT2 at 104.1 and 104.2, respectively, and WHRM-DT at 101.2. The 80's and 90's are mainly digital duplicates of analog stations, and the 110's are my PPV. 116.1 used to be TNT HD - video only - but that hasn't come in for over a month now.)
post #579 of 1634 Old 12-24-2007, 11:56 AM

I'm not sure what the point of going full power on the digital channel is if it's not going to be HD.
post #580 of 1634 Old 12-24-2007, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboeau View Post

I'm not sure what the point of going full power on the digital channel is if it's not going to be HD.

Two things, actually. One, it satisfies the FCC's demands that stations cover their license area. And it allows them to continue to reach their customers with a signal once they turn the analog transmitter off on 2/17/09.

Note that the FCC has never mandated HD, just digital.
post #581 of 1634 Old 12-24-2007, 05:44 PM

post #582 of 1634 Old 12-24-2007, 05:52 PM

Mark

Thanks for the update,.... but just to clarify,.. will this new digital transmitter do HD? Can ya throw out even a 6 month window that you "think" WLAX will be broadcasting in HD? I'm sure this is a money issue. Who do we have to send our emails to?
post #583 of 1634 Old 12-24-2007, 06:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgburg View Post

Hey Kids!

Hi Krusty!

Quote:

NOW...AS FOR THE CURRENT STATE OF DIGITAL UPGRADING...

If you're all nice and everything, I'll keep you posted as to what's happening WHEN it occurs...due to the recent spate of copper thefts and related vandalism in the Eau Claire/Chippewa Falls area, and for SECURITY REASONS, I will NOT be posting anticipated schedules for any work...Only COMPLETED PROJECTS will be announced...

I'm sorry for any inconvenience caused by this policy, but with the way stuff disappears, ANY problems in any of the projects will cause extreme delays that may lead to further issues not already discussed here.

Thank you for your time, patience and understanding...

I hate to make a drive-by comment, but Mark, I feel for you. This is been happening for years, but now, it's getting really bad. To the point where people have reportedly tried to steal cable while it was still live...with rather sad and predictable results.

Thank you Mark, and please don't be a stranger so much...we do appreciate it when any and all engineers, including you, just stop by to say hello and say "yep, things are continuing to progress." And hopefully the FCC will issue
your CP's. You mean this one for WEUX, correct?

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?list=0&facid=2709#10004

Unless I have missed something, WLAX has the CP it needs.

Merry Christmas and take care!

Gilbert
post #584 of 1634 Old 12-31-2007, 04:03 PM

Here's my sob story haha. I called Dish Network and was told they had the local channels in HD. Boy was I sucker - signed a two year agreement and found out after it was all hooked up they don't in the La Crosse area - and not only that, they seem to compress the signal as the local channels don't seem like they are even digital. That said - like a dummy I figured well gee Sparta is only 20 minutes from La Crosse - I oughta pick up the stations over the air easy enough and off to WalMart I went for stuff. I bought the Philips MANT-940 antenna, 100ft. of cable, and off I went. I am able to pick up NBC great (13-1 and 13-2) and CBS (8-1 and 8-2) no problem (a little less powerful signal, but good anyways).

Anyways - here's where I need help. Clearly Fox has the Packer games and I wanna' get that working. I know Fox hasn't got HD yet, but they do have digital - and I can't for the life of me get the signal in. I've got their analog signal at channel 25 coming in very very snowy but with clear audio. It's really no different than the other analog stations such as NBC's analog - so I'm thinking if I can get the digital station I'll be fine (digital you either have picture or not, no snow). So my question is this:

1) Is fox's signal really that weak that I'm having such a hard time getting a signal when every other station seems to be no problem?

2) As some of you probably have seen the digital channels despite being called for example 13-1 are actually something like 39-1 for NBC or 41-1 for CBS. Does Fox have this sort of setup for their digital where 25-1 can also be accessed on another channel? My TV seems that even with the NBC and CBS I had a hard time finding them using the channel tuner, but when I punched in the 39-1 manually it found it and boom I'm watching the channel - maybe I'll get lucky with Fox.

Thoughts?

To provide as much info as possible:

1. I have a hill behind my house between me and La Crosse - so I'm aware that could be an obstacle, just doesn't seem unsurmountable.

2. Antennaweb.org has been suggested to me already, but I'm picking up channels it says I shouldn't be already so clearly just because it doesn't list Fox as something in my location I should be able to get doesn't mean I can't.
post #585 of 1634 Old 12-31-2007, 07:34 PM

Fox is digital 17-1. I live in Tomah and could get all of the channels from LaCrosse except Fox digitally. I could get the analog version which looked pretty good.
post #586 of 1634 Old 01-03-2008, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfrank78 View Post

Fox is digital 17-1. I live in Tomah and could get all of the channels from LaCrosse except Fox digitally. I could get the analog version which looked pretty good.

La Crosse's Fox HDTV 17/ 25.1 is running a VERY weak output yet. Sometimes I can't get it if I have my antenna set slightly off true heading, and I'm just across the river, and can see their tower lights - anytime other than total white-out (snow or fog).
post #587 of 1634 Old 01-06-2008, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meichacker View Post

92.4 Finally came in for me tonight, as did a few other channels in the 92.x range (duplicates of 104.1-3, CBS's HD station, their MyNetworkTV / Funimation network, and their weather broadcast).

Oddly enough, though, I've lost access to 101.2-3 (PBS HD and Digital SD)....I'm wondering if Charter is realigning their channels to save space. Then again, with Charter, I wouldn't be surprised if all my digital channels disappear tomorrow.
post #588 of 1634 Old 01-11-2008, 05:27 AM

post #589 of 1634 Old 01-11-2008, 06:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Now they just need to get going with the OTA signal for us non-charter subscribers.
post #590 of 1634 Old 01-11-2008, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Noooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!

(I can't get charter where I live).
post #591 of 1634 Old 01-11-2008, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mike,

I have one of your DVD players and chance of updating to HD players in the future?
post #592 of 1634 Old 01-11-2008, 07:15 AM

Never say never, but highly unlikely. It never hit critical mass to justify the cost of development.

Mike
post #593 of 1634 Old 01-11-2008, 10:11 AM

Woke up this morning and it's my birthday and Wausau finally has FOXHD. What a day. Just in time for the packer game too. Anyone wanna shed some light on why they couldn't have done this earlier? Is it cost or something else?
post #594 of 1634 Old 01-11-2008, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
FYI for anyone who has Charter service, but doesn't have the HD package.. If you've got an ATSC tuner in your TV (not "HD Capable" but "HD Ready"), bypass the cable box. Plug the coax right into your TV to get the HD channels:

The new fox HD channel is 74.1
CBS is 104.3
ABC is 101.1
PBS is 101.2

This is in Stevens Point anyway. Still never found the new NBC though.
post #595 of 1634 Old 01-12-2008, 08:22 PM

No WEUX of course. Can I go to Wausau? Please?
post #596 of 1634 Old 01-12-2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthurley19 View Post

Woke up this morning and it's my birthday and Wausau finally has FOXHD. What a day. Just in time for the packer game too. Anyone wanna shed some light on why they couldn't have done this earlier? Is it cost or something else?

Consider yourself lucky. No Fox in HD here. In fact, I emailed the "engineering" department (as listed on their website) and never received a response on November 26th. To me that would indicate they're doing nothing and don't care. So, there will be no local high definition Superbowl here.
post #597 of 1634 Old 01-15-2008, 02:42 PM

I wish they would just give Charter permission to carry the Super Bowl from another station. What does the local affiliate get from airing the Super Bowl? It's not like they can sell any ad time.
post #598 of 1634 Old 01-15-2008, 04:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybeway36 View Post

I wish they would just give Charter permission to carry the Super Bowl from another station. What does the local affiliate get from airing the Super Bowl? It's not like they can sell any ad time.

Actually, yes they can. There are a few slots (I think 8) for 30-second spots for the local affiliate to sell. KMSP in the Twin Cities, for instance, is running a Minnesota Twins commercial during the Super Bowl.
post #599 of 1634 Old 01-15-2008, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohiti View Post

FYI for anyone who has Charter service, but doesn't have the HD package.. If you've got an ATSC tuner in your TV (not "HD Capable" but "HD Ready"), bypass the cable box. Plug the coax right into your TV to get the HD channels:

The new fox HD channel is 74.1
CBS is 104.3
ABC is 101.1
PBS is 101.2

This is in Stevens Point anyway. Still never found the new NBC though.

Just verfied in Rhinelander I am receiving the 74.1 HD FOX Channel along with the others as well using my ATSC 42" Plasma TV. Channel states 720p High Definition. Just in time for the party at my house this Sunday to watch the Packers win the NFC Championship game.

Now where/when is NBC HD going to be avaliable to Northern and Central WI though????

QUOTE FROM FOX
Over the next 60 days, FOX will broadcast the NFC Conference Playoffs, the NFC Championship Game, Super Bowl XLII, the Pro Bowl and the Daytona 500 all in high definition. In addition to sports, top shows like American Idol, House, 24 and Bones, are produced in full 16x9 720p high definition
post #600 of 1634 Old 01-15-2008, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcavsforum View Post

Just verfied in Rhinelander I am receiving the 74.1 HD FOX Channel along with the others as well using my ATSC 42" Plasma TV. Channel states 720p High Definition. Just in time for the party at my house this Sunday to watch the Packers win the NFC Championship game.

Now where/when is NBC HD going to be avaliable to Northern and Central WI though????

It already is here in Wausau (92.4), although it's not the strongest signal (sometimes skips a bit -- I didn't get it reliably until I replaced one of my coax cables). Charter has been getting the WJFW HD feed since before they were even broadcasting at full strength; they've just taken their time in making it available to customers. Given that WJFW is a Rhinelander station, I have to assume it's being broadcast in your area.

Be warned though -- WJFW stretches out their picture for SD content from 4:3 to 16:9. If you're not watching native HD content, you're probably better off watching the analog station (IMO).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page