LaCrosse / Wausau, WI - HDTV - Page 21 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #601 of 1634 Old 01-16-2008, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohiti View Post

FYI for anyone who has Charter service, but doesn't have the HD package.. If you've got an ATSC tuner in your TV (not "HD Capable" but "HD Ready"), bypass the cable box.

Last I checked, "HD Ready" meant that it didn't have an internal tuner. "HD Built-In" includes a tuner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 1634 Old 01-18-2008, 07:16 AM

A little info on Fox HD here in La Crosse.

http://www.lacrossetribune.com/artic...ews/00lead.txt

La Crosse-area Packers fans lucky enough to have high-definition televisions will have to settle for a regular old picture when their team plays in the NFC championship Sunday.

That's because the game is on Fox and local affiliate WLAX isn't able to transmit high-definition signals yet.
Adam and Jennifer Fleis of Onalaska look over the selection of HD TV's at Best Buy. Erik Daily

The good news for viewers: The station is very, very close to finishing the switch, said program director Barb Quillin.

Quillin said they are waiting for some equipment to be delivered and hope to start installing it next week. They are optimistic Channel 25 could be broadcasting an HD signal in La Crosse in time for the Super Bowl on Feb. 3, which also is on Fox.
post #603 of 1634 Old 01-18-2008, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlar01 View Post

A little info on Fox HD here in La Crosse.

http://www.lacrossetribune.com/artic...ews/00lead.txt

La Crosse-area Packers fans lucky enough to have high-definition televisions will have to settle for a regular old picture when their team plays in the NFC championship Sunday.

That’s because the game is on Fox and local affiliate WLAX isn’t able to transmit high-definition signals yet.
Adam and Jennifer Fleis of Onalaska look over the selection of HD TV's at Best Buy. Erik Daily

The good news for viewers: The station is “very, very close” to finishing the switch, said program director Barb Quillin.

Quillin said they are waiting for some equipment to be delivered and hope to start installing it next week. They are optimistic Channel 25 could be broadcasting an HD signal in La Crosse in time for the Super Bowl on Feb. 3, which also is on Fox.

This is great news. Any chance of them having it done before the Superbowl? I'd really hate to have to watch the SB in standard def.

I see in the article they're hoping to get it ready in time for the Super Bowl. I won't hold my breath, but sure would be nice. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but just because WLAX will broadcast an HD signal, that doesn't mean your local cable company will broadcast the HD signal correct? I have Mediacom here and can see that happening with them. My local ABC (KCRG) broadcasts in HD, but for whatever reason Mediacom doesn't broadcast it in HD. Don't they have to have an agreement with the station?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #604 of 1634 Old 01-18-2008, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott72 View Post

This is great news. Any chance of them having it done before the Superbowl? I'd really hate to have to watch the SB in standard def.

I see in the article they're hoping to get it ready in time for the Super Bowl. I won't hold my breath, but sure would be nice. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but just because WLAX will broadcast an HD signal, that doesn't mean your local cable company will broadcast the HD signal correct? I have Mediacom here and can see that happening with them. My local ABC (KCRG) broadcasts in HD, but for whatever reason Mediacom doesn't broadcast it in HD. Don't they have to have an agreement with the station?

I don't know any specifics but I won't be holding my breath. I have DirecTV so it won't be picked up by then anyway, as they don't yet carry La Crosse HD locals. I do, however, have an OTA antenna so I hope they'd make it available OTA but I don't really have any idea of what they plan on supporting.
post #605 of 1634 Old 01-18-2008, 12:02 PM

Quote:

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but just because WLAX will broadcast an HD signal, that doesn't mean your local cable company will broadcast the HD signal correct?

I have asked someone at Charter, and they will carry it on 785 as soon as Fox is ready. I don't know about others.
post #606 of 1634 Old 01-18-2008, 01:25 PM

I doubt anyone knows this but is there any info regarding OTA? That is what I'd really like to see since DirecTV doesn't offer the La Crosse locals in HD.
post #607 of 1634 Old 01-18-2008, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlar01 View Post

I doubt anyone knows this but is there any info regarding OTA? That is what I'd really like to see since DirecTV doesn't offer the La Crosse locals in HD.

I would think as soon as they start kicking out an HD signal you should be able to get it OTA.
post #608 of 1634 Old 01-18-2008, 02:10 PM

Liked: 11
If Charter carries it on 785 in La Crosse, it would be here in Eau Claire also, correct? It's the same DMA, and our HD channels are in the 780s too (782 for WHWC, 783 for WEAU, 788 for WKBT and 789 for WQOW.)
post #609 of 1634 Old 01-18-2008, 09:07 PM

Quote:

I would think as soon as they start kicking out an HD signal you should be able to get it OTA.

I would highly doubt they will have any kind of HD signal ready for the superbowl. Summer might be more realistic. If they happen to get the equipment installed they will probably do what they did in Wausau and that is send the feed directly to the cable co. without even having the OTA signal being broadcast. But seriously, do you really think they will have it by the Superbowl? Remember who this is.... Fox 25 / 48.
post #610 of 1634 Old 01-19-2008, 07:14 AM

Yeah.... I got a little tingly when I first read this story... but it went away fast. Seriously, in time for the Superbowl? Where's Mark the engineer when you need him to give us the real story? "optimistic Channel 25 could be broadcasting an HD signal in La Crosse in time for the Super Bowl" Sounds like upper management propaganda. Mark! Tell us it's not so!
post #611 of 1634 Old 01-19-2008, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboeau View Post

But seriously, do you really think they will have it by the Superbowl? Remember who this is.... Fox 25 / 48.

Yeah good point. I wouldn't get it anyway because my crappy cable company has headend issues down here by Prairie. I don't even get my local ABC in HD even though they broadcast the signal. As soon as D* gets the locals in HD I'll probably make the switch.
post #612 of 1634 Old 01-20-2008, 02:25 AM

25/48 are the exactly the same arent they, so if 25 were to be online, then 48 would also be. I am probably way off on this.
post #613 of 1634 Old 01-20-2008, 10:08 AM

Liked: 11
25 would probably get the tower equipment before 48, but on cable there should be no difference (and on satellite it's always 25, never 48.)
post #614 of 1634 Old 01-20-2008, 01:51 PM

Grumble. Watching this early game on CBS is just making me more and more angry about the Pack on SD Fox.
post #615 of 1634 Old 01-20-2008, 07:14 PM

Folks:

As I stated earlier...I will let you know WHEN WLAX or WEUX (or both, for that matter) will have any changes in broadcasting upgraded signals to the masses...

CHARTER does not have fibre-optic cable into/from our building in La Crosse, so ANY signal on their system (either in La Crosse or Eau Claire) has to come from OTA signals.

WLAX is currently tying to get the required equipment needed for converting the SD signal to HD.

At this time, THERE IS NO EQUIPMENT IN WLAX's/WEUX's possession. No item has been delivered as of this date.

As for the statement that the station is "...'very, very close' to finishing the switch..." - I'm letting you folks know that WLAX might be in a better position next week to let you folks know what's what.

Until then, don't fret...if you're getting the SD signal OTA, then that's what you'll be getting IF the HD equipment comes in and works out properly.

As for what CHARTER is doing/saying...I'm not keeping up on what's happening there, but my understanding is that IF WLAX finally gets the HD signal to the Xmtr. site, AND CHARTER is able to receive it and demodulate it, then they'll put THAT signal on their system, and make it available to La Crosse-area customers and the Eau Claire-area customers, on Channel 785, I believe. Maybe someone else can confirm that bit of information.

Again, I'm not making any promises or telling anyone anything just to placate the quizzer.

And, since the Giants just beat Green Bay on a field goal in Overtime...it just might all be a moot point for true Packer fans...

Oh well, there MIGHT be HD for NASCAR...-

Respectfully,

Mark
post #616 of 1634 Old 01-21-2008, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJKrautk View Post

It already is here in Wausau (92.4), although it's not the strongest signal (sometimes skips a bit -- I didn't get it reliably until I replaced one of my coax cables). Charter has been getting the WJFW HD feed since before they were even broadcasting at full strength; they've just taken their time in making it available to customers. Given that WJFW is a Rhinelander station, I have to assume it's being broadcast in your area.

Be warned though -- WJFW stretches out their picture for SD content from 4:3 to 16:9. If you're not watching native HD content, you're probably better off watching the analog station (IMO).

Very cool. Your right I do receive that. Know what you mean about them stretching 4:3 to 16:9 though, thats funny. But now the HD NBC shows will be great.
To recap for anybody else looking for these channels in this area. I get:

HD NBC = 92.4
HD FOX =74.1
HD CBS =104.1
HD ABC = 101.1
HD 24/7 weather - 104.3
HD PBS 101-5

thanks for your help...
post #617 of 1634 Old 01-21-2008, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Has anyone used a MyHD PC tuner card to get the local HD stations with Charter? I had problems at a friends house a year ago. I did an auto search which picked up lots of channels but nothing would display. I just tried a new LCD flat panel and had great luck getting all of the stations at a different home about a block away. I thought the MyHD card would pick up everything, maybe i need to do another scan.
post #618 of 1634 Old 01-23-2008, 02:09 PM

I have just received a mesage from a WPTV engineer located in Western Wisconsin, who states:

". . . we installed new DTV encoders on 1/14, and migrated from
1080i to 720p for our HD. The new encoders are **much** better than the
old. I expect you'll see significant improvement."

Also, their programming source switched last October from PBS to APT (American public Television), which aquires old programming from PBS and elsewhere, some of which is not actually HD, even when "stretched" to 16 X 9 (several promgrams from Australia , at least - the quality of the video looked like home VHS). The reason for this was that PBS charges a lot of money, and APT is the "Discount King"

Not to mention that they are filling up time overnight by running the same program several times in one day, and/or even more throughout the week.

I remember when WPTV was the only HD signal in town - with just one (the primary) channel, and they mostly ran "demo loops" (over and over and over).
post #619 of 1634 Old 01-23-2008, 04:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger_Wilco View Post

...migrated from 1080i to 720p for our HD. The new encoders are **much** better than the old. I expect you'll see significant improvement."

Also, their programming source switched last October from PBS to APT (American public Television)...

Ah, yes. The "less is more" argument. Or, in other words, "We've been starving the signal so much and it has looked so bad for so long that now we're going to reduce the resolution and hope you think a lower-resolution signal looks better." Sadly, it often does.

As far as PBS HD, it is a rather expensive product for a rather limited audience. The powers that be at PBS will no doubt learn that they can't continue to charge a mint if they want to be on the majority of systems in the country. I suspect that should the price be reduced to a more reasonable number, WPT will re-up their subscription.
post #620 of 1634 Old 01-24-2008, 10:24 PM

Qincy Newspapers, Inc., has signed up to carry Equity Media's "Retro Television Network" brand on digital subchannels of all but one of its TV stations. The stations are KTIV (Sioux City, IA), KWWL (Waterloo, IA), KXLT (Rochester, MN), WQOW (Eau Claire, WI), WXOW (La Crosse, WI), WKOW (Madison, WI), WYOW (Rhinelander, WI), WAOW (Wausau, WI), WREX (Rockford, IL), WSJV (South Bend, IN), and WVVA (Bluefield, WV). No launch date was given. QNI flagship WGEM (Quincy, IL) will not carry RTN, presumably because it already has two subchannels. It's not clear what this announcement means for Equity's KWWF/22 (Waterloo), which was one of the original RTN stations; adding coverage on KWWL-DT would expand the station's coverage area. (1/25/2008)
post #621 of 1634 Old 01-25-2008, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Has anyone noticed that WQOW TV 18 signal out of Eau Claire for the last few days has been acting funny? When I watch the news it kind of has like a flickering effect. I am watching their digital signal through a dish network
vip 622 receiver. All of my other OTA channels I am not having any
problems with. Anyone else noticing this?
post #622 of 1634 Old 01-28-2008, 05:48 PM

Is anyone able to pull WFXS Fox 55 HD out of the air with an antenna? I have Charter and I get it on 785, but a friend has Dish Network and has a seperate antenna for his HD locals. What channel does he need to tune to for Fox HD?
post #623 of 1634 Old 01-28-2008, 07:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

They, unfortunately, are not broadcasting OTA at this time.
post #624 of 1634 Old 01-29-2008, 01:41 AM

Good morning La Crosse!

At approximately 0200.00 this morning, WLAX-DT transistioned from 480i/SD to 720P/HD.

The HD version is available on 25.1 and the SD version is on 25.2...

~~~~~~~~~~
NOTE: POSSIBLE RUMOR MATERIAL!

LA CROSSE AREA CHARTER CABLE CUSTOMERS

Rumor has it, the "Big Game" should also be available to the Eau Claire Charter area customers on Charter's HD Tier.

Please, call Charter to verify this information...I don't know where I heard this but I know I didn't hear it DIRECTLY from any Charter employee...

~~~~~~~~~~

Now, the HD signal, from WLAX-DT is approx. 2.49kW ERP...so you'll need to be sure your properly installed, UHF outdoor antenna is properly pointed towards the WLAX/WXOW/WHLA towers located approx. 2.5 miles SW of La Crescent, MN..

Good luck with the signal capturing...

Respectfully,

Mark
post #625 of 1634 Old 01-29-2008, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innova View Post

They, unfortunately, are not broadcasting OTA at this time.

How can they broadcast over cable but not OTA? I dont understand.
post #626 of 1634 Old 01-29-2008, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgburg View Post

Good morning La Crosse!

At approximately 0200.00 this morning, WLAX-DT transistioned from 480i/SD to 720P/HD.

~~~~~~~~~~

Rumor has it, the "Big Game" should also be available to the Eau Claire Charter area customers on Charter's HD Tier.

Please, call Charter to verify this information...I don't know where I heard this but I know I didn't hear it DIRECTLY from any Charter employee...

~~~~~~~~~~

Now, the HD signal, from WLAX-DT is approx. 2.49kW ERP...so you'll need to be sure your properly installed, UHF outdoor antenna is properly pointed towards the WLAX/WXOW/WHLA towers located approx. 2.5 miles SW of La Crescent, MN..

Anyone know if the Onalaska Charter will carry this? It would be nice.
post #627 of 1634 Old 01-29-2008, 04:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAss88GT View Post

How can they broadcast over cable but not OTA? I dont understand.

Most cable companies no longer receive local channels OTA but have direct fiber links to the stations. This gets them better picture quality and reliability and also reduces the cost of maintaining outdoor antenna systems.

In some cases, for stations that lack the OTA facilities, it allows them to send HD signals to the local cable companies. DirecTV and Dish both have antenna systems at their uplink facilities for LiL.
post #628 of 1634 Old 01-29-2008, 05:31 AM

Quote:

Good morning La Crosse!

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

This is positive news, now when is it Eau Claire's WEUX turn? Any idea?
post #629 of 1634 Old 01-29-2008, 05:33 AM

Quote:

Good morning La Crosse!

That sentence must have felt very good to write! Thanks for the great news, Mark. Now if we can only get DTV to carry all these HD locals....

I'm about 10 miles NE of FOX 25's tower and, with some maneuvering, I pulled in 25.1 with an indoor antenna (Philips MANT940) hooked directly to my DTV HR20 but I'm guessing my wife will never let me keep it draped over the family portrait, even for HD. Looks like I'll need that outdoor antenna after all.

Larry
post #630 of 1634 Old 01-29-2008, 08:09 AM

Quote:

Good morning La Crosse!

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

Fantastic, now only if my cable co would pick it up. No chance for OTA in my area, plus too far away from your tower.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page