LaCrosse / Wausau, WI - HDTV - Page 44 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #1291 of 1634 Old 06-09-2009, 08:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy4041 View Post

"Note to Self" Throw antenna in Garbage on July 2nd.

Where's your garbage? I could always use extra antennas...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1292 of 1634 Old 06-10-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjvrieze View Post

The WXOW-DT-14 antenna is current mounted under the WXOW-TV-19 antenna (the top mounted antenna), will be taken down and a new antenna for channel 48 will be top mounted on the tower running 371kW!

Speaking of the WXOW tower:
http://s151.photobucket.com/albums/s...rrent=WXOW.jpg

What transmitter is WXOW using? Just wondering if the Atlas that I installed is going to be used? Or the Diamond?

I remember the problems that I had with the Atlas when it was installed.
post #1293 of 1634 Old 06-10-2009, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KFXAChief View Post

What transmitter is WXOW using? Just wondering if the Atlas that I installed is going to be used? Or the Diamond?

I shot a message off to Dan at WXOW. Will let you know what I hear back. I do know that he said they have a new xmtr for RF-48 and that it has been running into a dummy load for a while now. I think that cabinets from the DT-14 xmtr are going up to WQOW to join their DT-15 xmtr after the shutdown, so they can boast power up...

KD0MOF

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the poster's only and NOT that of the poster's employers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1294 of 1634 Old 06-10-2009, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFXAChief View Post

Here is a response...
Quote:

WXOW will be using the Harris Atlas for digital on channel 48. Steve Finton from Harris did the Atlas conversion from Analog to Digital. So far, it has been heating up the dummy load with few issues.
Our Diamond transmitter will become parts for another station.

KD0MOF

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the poster's only and NOT that of the poster's employers.
post #1295 of 1634 Old 06-10-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:

Here is a response...

Thanks for the info. Nice to know that transmitter is still working.

I believe that there was a severe winter snowstorm that happened while we were installing that transmitter. Not the best weather when we were up there the first time.

Eric
post #1296 of 1634 Old 06-11-2009, 02:00 AM

Digital transition is just about here.. The only station left in analog in my area is WBIJ-TV Crandon. My question is what is the latest on this station? I checked tonight and it looks like Family Net is still running. Are they going to stay on with analog service until the deal with WAOW is complete? or Shut down? The FCC website doesn't list any specifics. It is obmitted from the lists of stations required to shut down, but I did find they notified the FCC the analog shut down will take place as scheduled.

Also, my parents have Dish Network. WTPX is now showing up in the line up BUT its not an over the air broadcast. It is a rebroadcast of the national Ion feed. I can tell because there is no ID and sloppy Dish Network commerical inserts in the programming...The Dish Network inserts are a complete simulcast of the National Ion Feed. Is there any hope the station can someday be on the air at full power? The station can't be running more than a few watts. You really need to be a direct line of sight.. Practically SEE the tower to get a fraction of a signal.

I did hear rumors Ion filed bankruptcy.. with 16 hours of informercials, you would think they could make a profit.. LOL
post #1297 of 1634 Old 06-11-2009, 04:12 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1408 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
WTPX-DT is on the air at 50 kW, which is plenty of power, but is extremely directional toward Wausau. If you're not on that path, you're very power-limited. WTPX-DT is for sale, though, assuming someone wants to buy it.

WBIJ hasn't filed anything lately, so it's impossible to know what's going on with it, so this one should have been on the FCC list but isn't. (That FCC list was so full of mistakes...)

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #1298 of 1634 Old 06-11-2009, 07:17 AM

The signal doesn't get anywhere near Wausau. People with high gain 60 foot towers in Wausau aimed at the WTPX tower can't get a channel lock.. The signal stops about 6 miles from Wausau.. The station has a coverage of probably 5 miles. My parents have a 80 foot tower in Antigo (the city of license) but can't pick it up. It doesn't appear to broadcasting anywhere near the power they are suppose to.. The station is acting like a 10 or 20 watt station,. but not 50 K. Its possible people with a visual on the tower from south of Merrill and along highway 64 might be able to see the station. No its not getting into Wausau at all.
post #1299 of 1634 Old 06-11-2009, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grgeiger View Post

The signal doesn't get anywhere near Wausau. People with high gain 60 foot towers in Wausau aimed at the WTPX tower can't get a channel lock.. The signal stops about 6 miles from Wausau.. The station has a coverage of probably 5 miles. My parents have a 80 foot tower in Antigo (the city of license) but can't pick it up. It doesn't appear to broadcasting anywhere near the power they are suppose to.. The station is acting like a 10 or 20 watt station,. but not 50 K. Its possible people with a visual on the tower from south of Merrill and along highway 64 might be able to see the station. No its not getting into Wausau at all.

My best friend and I did testing and got the data that is on Rabbitears for your market. And WTPX-DT was within 3dB as strong as WFXS-DT. We were in Wausau at Mt. Rib and could barely see the tower at 15 miles and got a good lock on it... (actually right under the Mt. Rib tower, so those stations were hitting the antenna with huge signals, and no direct LOS to WFXS-DT with the trees blocking LOS plus an old 5th gen computer tuner, no pre-amp) If I had a spectrum analyzer, I would love to have looked at the signal and seen what it looked like, maybe it needs to tuned properly... Yes we were 400ft up, but even still, the signal was super strong, so I doubt it would completely drop going down into the valley.
50kW direction, is pretty weak in areas that do not get 50kW ERP in that direction, so I suppose there are people who cannot get it, but I really find it hard to believe that people in Wausau with direct LOS to the tower, cannot get it with good signal strength...

KD0MOF

post #1300 of 1634 Old 06-11-2009, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, WXOW-DT-48 just went on the air! (getting pretty good signal on my place in Rochester)

KD0MOF

post #1301 of 1634 Old 06-11-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:

Well, WXOW-DT-48 just went on the air! (getting pretty good signal on my place in Rochester)

Can I get some new TSReader data on it?

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #1302 of 1634 Old 06-11-2009, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

Can I get some new TSReader data on it?

- Trip

Soon, my dad is taking up my only tuner for LAX watching WLAX, so when I get home, I will boot him over to KXLT and get some data!

KD0MOF

post #1303 of 1634 Old 06-11-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:

Soon, my dad is taking up my only tuner for LAX watching WLAX, so when I get home, I will boot him over to KXLT and get some data!

Awesome, thanks.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #1304 of 1634 Old 06-11-2009, 07:21 PM

Thanks for the info.. It seems you have better luck than I have finding that signal.. LOL

But have you tried the signal in downtown Wausau? I didn't try anything on Rib Mountain.. But if you are getting a signal with the millions of watts of RF on that mountain I should get something in Downtown Wausau..

Quote:

My best friend and I did testing and got the data that is on Rabbitears for your market. And WTPX-DT was within 3dB as strong as WFXS-DT. We were in Wausau at Mt. Rib and could barely see the tower at 15 miles and got a good lock on it... (actually right under the Mt. Rib tower, so those stations were hitting the antenna with huge signals, and no direct LOS to WFXS-DT with the trees blocking LOS plus an old 5th gen computer tuner, no pre-amp) If I had a spectrum analyzer, I would love to have looked at the signal and seen what it looked like, maybe it needs to tuned properly... Yes we were 400ft up, but even still, the signal was super strong, so I doubt it would completely drop going down into the valley.
50kW direction, is pretty weak in areas that do not get 50kW ERP in that direction, so I suppose there are people who cannot get it, but I really find it hard to believe that people in Wausau with direct LOS to the tower, cannot get it with good signal strength...

post #1305 of 1634 Old 06-11-2009, 08:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

WLAX-DT appears to be offline or at low power. Can anyone in LAX or near the tower site, confirm that it is online or offline?

KD0MOF

post #1306 of 1634 Old 06-11-2009, 08:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grgeiger View Post

Thanks for the info.. It seems you have better luck than I have finding that signal.. LOL

But have you tried the signal in downtown Wausau? I didn't try anything on Rib Mountain.. But if you are getting a signal with the millions of watts of RF on that mountain I should get something in Downtown Wausau..

Anywhere tvfool shows LOS, should get it, no problem. Outside of that, I don't know why it is getting everyone fits. Trip was wondering, if maybe their signal was not tuned correctly, making RF strong, but the quality very poor, which would make it a hard lock...

KD0MOF

post #1307 of 1634 Old 06-11-2009, 09:52 PM

Possibly but thanks for the input..

If anyone is interested WBIJ (the only analog station left on the air in the Wausau market) Appeared off the air at 5:30 this afternoon.. They were back on when I checked about 8 PM.. but was off again at 10:30.. I just checked at 11:50 PM and they are off. I think the station may now have officially pulled the plug.
post #1308 of 1634 Old 06-12-2009, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

It is gone, rescan to receive WXOW-DT-48!

KD0MOF

post #1309 of 1634 Old 06-12-2009, 07:11 AM

Quote:

WLAX-DT appears to be offline or at low power. Can anyone in LAX or near the tower site, confirm that it is online or offline?

I live in Holmen and I can't get WLAX-DT this morning either.
post #1310 of 1634 Old 06-12-2009, 07:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsheley View Post

I live in Holmen and I can't get WLAX-DT this morning either.

I think they are at really power, by the fact that tons of people are not on here asking, so it must up enough to hit the cable headends...

KD0MOF

post #1311 of 1634 Old 06-12-2009, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Why is it that WXOW which I live like 2 miles from and can recieve with safety pin is improving its signal but WEAU which I only get sporadically isn't?

(not really a question - just complaining)

Brian
(yes, I do have VHF rooftop antennna)
post #1312 of 1634 Old 06-12-2009, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9IWP View Post

Why is it that WXOW which I live like 2 miles from and can recieve with safety pin is improving its signal but WEAU which I only get sporadically isn't?

(not really a question - just complaining)

Brian
(yes, I do have VHF rooftop antennna)

WEAU should install a translator at the WXOW site for the LAX area, WEAU is a tough signal to get in the city, from all the reports that I have read.. I really good VHF-HI and pre-amp will usually get it, but most people do not have the right setup to start with...

KD0MOF

post #1313 of 1634 Old 06-12-2009, 07:46 AM

Quote:

WEAU should install a translator at the WXOW site for the LAX area, WEAU is a tough signal to get in the city, from all the reports that I have read.. I really good VHF-HI and pre-amp will usually get it, but most people do not have the right setup to start with...

I have a small Terk hdtva antenna in my house in Holmen and get WEAU in at about 80% signal. I just must be very lucky.
post #1314 of 1634 Old 06-12-2009, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 15
You are right, WEAU should install a translator in La Crosse, and WKBT should install one in Eau Claire, but neither has applied for one.

However, KTTC has a construction permit to convert is low-power channel 67 translator from La Crescent to a 15kW digital signal, which should cover La Crosse adequately. (The Winona translator will also go to 15kW DTV.) KTTC is co-owned with WXOW. I'm surprised WEAU is letting them get away with it.
post #1315 of 1634 Old 06-12-2009, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Just re-scanned on my Dish VIP722, I'm only getting WXOW-48 at the moment. WLAX and WHLA are gone.

WXOW-48 is coming in @ 81% which is about 20% more then WXOW-14.
post #1316 of 1634 Old 06-12-2009, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustoMan View Post

Just re-scanned on my Dish VIP722, I'm only getting WXOW-48 at the moment. WLAX and WHLA are gone.

WXOW-48 is coming in @ 81% which is about 20% more then WXOW-14.

I am still getting WHLA, but it is pretty weak... WLAX has not graced my tuner in almost 24 hours... I wish that I knew what happened.......

KD0MOF

post #1317 of 1634 Old 06-12-2009, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsheley View Post

I have a small Terk hdtva antenna in my house in Holmen and get WEAU in at about 80% signal. I just must be very lucky.

I think part of the problem is the bluffs just north of La Crescent partially block the signal. For me sometimes WEAU comes in at ~80% and sometimes it is below 50%.

Brian
post #1318 of 1634 Old 06-12-2009, 05:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 30
All of the doomsday talk from the media is such a load of crap! The Wausau sations that I can receive all switched early and the Green Bay stations have been set for a long time EXCEPT for Fox 11, which was dropping UHF 51 and returning to their analog channel 11. To show how well this has gone, there has not been one single post on the Green Bay HDTV thread on here on AVS. All day I have been checking in and I have seen the activity for those of you in the LaCrosse area, but really not a whole lot of negatives.

WSAW (physical channel 7) asked for and was granted over 4 times the signal that they were originally alloted. WAOW (physical channel 9) asked for and was granted just under double their alloted power. Perhaps WEAU and WKBT will follow and raise their power more than the few kilowatts they asked for originally.

In Green Bay, a UHF station nearly doubled their power while the powerful NBC station has asked to raise their antenna height. In time, I figure things will get straightened out. The wheels are already in motion or have occurred in many instances.

Smile! We are digital!

Bill
post #1319 of 1634 Old 06-12-2009, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

I am still getting WHLA, but it is pretty weak... WLAX has not graced my tuner in almost 24 hours... I wish that I knew what happened.......

Tried again this evening and got WHLA in at around 70%. WXOW-48 is now at a whopping 100% Still no WLAX, my dad who lives south of Rockland can't pick it up either.
post #1320 of 1634 Old 06-15-2009, 05:07 PM

I was looking at the FCC website and noticed that it looked like
their power increase was approved. I called and talked to
Ron Weidemier (sp) their engineer. He said they had boosted
thier power to 29 (sorry did not get exact number)
something, and that is the highest power that
the FCC allows for their antenna height.
Increased power Friday night.
So I swung my antenna back to the direcition
I used to have it to get WEAU, and at least right now
I am getting a 40 to 50 percent signal on the Channel
Master receiver I have. My 2 year old Samsung
HDTV would still not find it with a new scan.

So the power increase has helped some.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page