LaCrosse / Wausau, WI - HDTV - Page 45 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1321 of 1634 Old 06-15-2009, 07:22 PM
Member
 
hunmanik's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: La Crosse, WI
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjvrieze View Post

WLAX-DT appears to be offline or at low power. Can anyone in LAX or near the tower site, confirm that it is online or offline?

A wee bit late to reply, but here within the City I did catch the other day where WLAX was running a text scroll saying that were broadcasting at low power due to some kind of equipment failure. So whatever happened, they knew about it, and they ended up getting it fixed pretty quickly.
hunmanik is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1322 of 1634 Old 06-15-2009, 07:49 PM
Member
 
hunmanik's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: La Crosse, WI
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So I spent the weekend hearing all media outlets tell me that the digital transition is complete, because apparently all major media are unaware of the existence of low power television stations. And the fact that there's no deadline for low power TV to go digital (yet).

Here in La Crosse we still have:

- KQEG-CA analog channel 23 FamilyNet/ION. Anyone know if they intend to go digital some day?

- W67CH analog channel 67 KTTC/NBC Rochester. Now that the new WXOW is online, can we expect the flash changeover from W67CH to W50DR-D soon? (please??)

I thought we would also still have W44BF analog channel 44 TBN, but that channel's been dark for several weeks now. Maybe something broke and they won't bother fixing it, since they do seem to have plans to take that channel over to digital with W26DI-D some day? Anyone know? Or can anyone actually see channel 44 still?
hunmanik is offline  
post #1323 of 1634 Old 06-15-2009, 08:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gjvrieze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,844
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunmanik View Post

- W67CH analog channel 67 KTTC/NBC Rochester. Now that the new WXOW is online, can we expect the flash changeover from W67CH to W50DR-D soon? (please??)

My contact over at WXOW said that he expects to see KTTC move W67CH to digital and move to the WXOW tower before the end of summer. I have the chief engineer at KTTC as a contact too, so I will fire off an email and see what the plans are. At 15kW from the WXOW tower, KTTC should have a nice signal in La Crosse.. Many may find that a VHF antenna aimed to WKBT/WEAU and a UHF antenna to WLAX/WHLA/WXOW/KTTC will work nicely!

KD0MOF

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the poster's only and NOT that of the poster's employers.
gjvrieze is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1324 of 1634 Old 06-21-2009, 11:09 AM
Member
 
maybeway36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Eau Claire, WI
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
If La Crosse gets a translator for KTTC, why don't we up in Eau Claire get one for WKBT or WCCO? I bet most of the people with antennas up here either don't get CBS anymore or never got it to begin with.
maybeway36 is offline  
post #1325 of 1634 Old 06-22-2009, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gjvrieze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,844
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybeway36 View Post

If La Crosse gets a translator for KTTC, why don't we up in Eau Claire get one for WKBT or WCCO? I bet most of the people with antennas up here either don't get CBS anymore or never got it to begin with.

KTTC is hoping to have W67CH flashed to digital before the end of August. The parts have been ordered and they will get it installed as soon as they can.

KD0MOF

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the poster's only and NOT that of the poster's employers.
gjvrieze is offline  
post #1326 of 1634 Old 06-23-2009, 02:22 PM
Member
 
DustoMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Rockland, WI
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Just reporting some observations since adding a new antenna for Ch 8.1/2 and Ch. 13.1/2:

Had problems receiving WLAX yesterday morning and it didn't return until about 6PM.

WEAU seems spotty. Had a pretty decent picture Saturday night, but I have not been able to receive a lock since. I have to aim my antenna in between that station and WKBT, but even when directly pointed at WEAU's antenna, the signal only improved a few percentage points compared to where I have it now.

Oh and I did some adjusting to the antenna giving me WLAX/WXOW/WHLA and able to receive a strong 100% lock on 19.1/2 and 31.1/2/3. 25.1/2 is in the high 70s I believe... when they aren't having the issues noted above.

And just as an aside, went to my grandparents' on Father's Day and helped them with rescanning their converter box. Fun times!
DustoMan is offline  
post #1327 of 1634 Old 06-23-2009, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gjvrieze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,844
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustoMan View Post

Just reporting some observations since adding a new antenna for Ch 8.1/2 and Ch. 13.1/2:

Had problems receiving WLAX yesterday morning and it didn't return until about 6PM.

WEAU seems spotty. Had a pretty decent picture Saturday night, but I have not been able to receive a lock since. I have to aim my antenna in between that station and WKBT, but even when directly pointed at WEAU's antenna, the signal only improved a few percentage points compared to where I have it now.

Oh and I did some adjusting to the antenna giving me WLAX/WXOW/WHLA and able to receive a strong 100% lock on 19.1/2 and 31.1/2/3. 25.1/2 is in the high 70s I believe... when they aren't having the issues noted above.

And just as an aside, went to my grandparents' on Father's Day and helped them with rescanning their converter box. Fun times!

WLAX is removing their analog tower the past week or so, they may be at low power again to deal with climbers in the strong radiation zone.
WEUX is completely off the air at the moment, I see on their website, that part of the transmitter went bad late Monday morning.

KD0MOF

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the poster's only and NOT that of the poster's employers.
gjvrieze is offline  
post #1328 of 1634 Old 06-27-2009, 03:28 PM
Member
 
mgburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Onalaska, WI.
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjvrieze View Post

WLAX-DT appears to be offline or at low power. Can anyone in LAX or near the tower site, confirm that it is online or offline?

Sorry to keep you guys in the dark for these couple of weeks...

On the infamous day of "The Great "O" Re-schedule" - we lost a little tiny fan (5VDC, about 60mm. x 60mm. x 15mm.) that kept an $8K tube cool...no one locally had the thing, so we had to wait 'til Saturday to get it...in the mean time, we we're on the little unit (2.46kW ERP) and standby antenna...and we were right in the middle of removing the old antenna from the top of the old tower...so working in the building, underneath a ton of dangling metal, wasn't a too smart thing to do...

But, following the antenna's landing, we were able to get back in the building and complete the repair...we had the full-powered WLAX DT back up and running about 1150 Saturday, the 13th...

Now, as some folks are aware, WLAX is removing its old tower ... so occasionally, we have to reduce the power of WLAX DT to keep from toasting the tower crew while they're up in the RF Beam from the new tower's antenna...and at the same time, we were also moving the two microwave dishes from the old tower over to the new tower...

The microwave antenna moves couldn't be done last fall due to weather constraints and man-power issues the tower crew was having...so we decided to move the stuff off the old tower this spring...at this time, we have about 240' of the old tower left and hopefully, by Monday/Tuesday, the old tower will be nothing more than a memory...

...and HD will eventually be coming to Chippewa Falls/Eau Claire...stay tuned...

Respectfully,

Mark
mgburg is offline  
post #1329 of 1634 Old 06-27-2009, 03:47 PM
Member
 
mgburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Onalaska, WI.
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunmanik View Post

... I thought we would also still have W44BF analog channel 44 TBN, but that channel's been dark for several weeks now. Maybe something broke and they won't bother fixing it, since they do seem to have plans to take that channel over to digital with W26DI-D some day? Anyone know? Or can anyone actually see channel 44 still?

Sorry to let you folks know, but W44BF/Ch. 44 TBN is no more...

TBN pulled its share of the funding for any low-powered TVs out in the hinterlands...they are, now, only funding Full-powered operations...so the owner of 44 had no choice but to pull the plug.

Respectfully,

Mark
mgburg is offline  
post #1330 of 1634 Old 06-27-2009, 03:56 PM
Member
 
mgburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Onalaska, WI.
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjvrieze View Post

WLAX is removing their analog tower the past week or so, they may be at low power again to deal with climbs in the strong radiation zone.

We're pretty much done with lowering the power...all the work in the "RF Zone" was completed about a week ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjvrieze View Post

WEUX is completely off the air at the moment, I see on their website, that part of the transmitter went bad late Monday morning.

A tiny transistor (SSSMD = SuperSmall Surface Mounted Device) went bad, taking out 5 $85.00 fuses (those were available locally, the transistor wasn't), so the order went out and we were promised a plane-load of parts by 3PM Tuesday afternoon...by 4PM, no parts came off the airplane...now the hunt was on...eventually, another plane showed up with...you guessed it...the parts, at 9PM...after the travel from MSP, the transmitter was back on the air about 1:16AM Wednesday morning...fun and games in Cellphone-free Wisconsin...

Respectfully,

Mark
mgburg is offline  
post #1331 of 1634 Old 06-27-2009, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gjvrieze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,844
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgburg View Post

Sorry to keep you guys in the dark for these couple of weeks...

On the infamous day of "The Great "O" Re-schedule" - we lost a little tiny fan (5VDC, about 60mm. x 60mm. x 15mm.) that kept an $8K tube cool...no one locally had the thing, so we had to wait 'til Saturday to get it...in the mean time, we we're on the little unit (2.46kW ERP) and standby antenna...and we were right in the middle of removing the old antenna from the top of the old tower...so working in the building, underneath a ton of dangling metal, wasn't a too smart thing to do...

But, following the antenna's landing, we were able to get back in the building and complete the repair...we had the full-powered WLAX DT back up and running about 1150 Saturday, the 13th...

Now, as some folks are aware, WLAX is removing its old tower ... so occasionally, we have to reduce the power of WLAX DT to keep from toasting the tower crew while they're up in the RF Beam from the new tower's antenna...and at the same time, we were also moving the two microwave dishes from the old tower over to the new tower...

The microwave antenna moves couldn't be done last fall due to weather constraints and man-power issues the tower crew was having...so we decided to move the stuff off the old tower this spring...at this time, we have about 240' of the old tower left and hopefully, by Monday/Tuesday, the old tower will be nothing more than a memory...

...and HD will eventually be coming to Chippewa Falls/Eau Claire...stay tuned...

Mark, thanks for posting this info!

Which microwave dishes needed to be moved? (I am guessing the links over to WEUX??)

KD0MOF

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the poster's only and NOT that of the poster's employers.
gjvrieze is offline  
post #1332 of 1634 Old 06-28-2009, 03:50 AM
Member
 
mgburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Onalaska, WI.
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjvrieze View Post

Mark, thanks for posting this info! ... Which microwave dishes needed to be moved? (I am guessing the links over to WEUX??)

The first dish was the one feeding up to WEUX - that's a 2GHz. setup...it's the first of 3 hops on 2GHz. to get the signal to the Colfax site...it's actually the 2nd hop overall...

The 2nd dish to get moved over to the new tower was the 7GHz. dish that brings both the WLAX & WEUX signals up to the La Crescent site from the Studios...the WLAX signal terminates at the La Crescent site, whereas the WEUX signal is fed straight into the 2GHz. gear and is then sent on its way North...

Now, for something completely different...

Last night, WEUX DT got knocked off the air...again...due to the little storms that came through around dinner time...once I got to the site, a few breakers needed to be reset, but a wiring problem in the RF Switch cropped up and it took until 2330.00 last night to located, fix and then bring the transmitter back on line and up to full power...

Gremlins bite...

Respectfully,

Mark
mgburg is offline  
post #1333 of 1634 Old 06-28-2009, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gjvrieze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,844
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgburg View Post

The first dish was the one feeding up to WEUX - that's a 2GHz. setup...it's the first of 3 hops on 2GHz. to get the signal to the Colfax site...it's actually the 2nd hop overall...

The 2nd dish to get moved over to the new tower was the 7GHz. dish that brings both the WLAX & WEUX signals up to the La Crescent site from the Studios...the WLAX signal terminates at the La Crescent site, whereas the WEUX signal is fed straight into the 2GHz. gear and is then sent on its way North...

Now, for something completely different...

Last night, WEUX DT got knocked off the air...again...due to the little storms that came through around dinner time...once I got to the site, a few breakers needed to be reset, but a wiring problem in the RF Switch cropped up and it took until 2330.00 last night to located, fix and then bring the transmitter back on line and up to full power...

Gremlins bite...

Does the signal from the WLAX site get beamed straight to the WEUX tower, or is there another site in between? (I was always curious about the links in the Eau Claire/La Crosse market, as it is not real common to have multiple full power transmitters for the same station in an area like this)

KD0MOF

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the poster's only and NOT that of the poster's employers.
gjvrieze is offline  
post #1334 of 1634 Old 06-28-2009, 08:33 PM
Member
 
mgburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Onalaska, WI.
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjvrieze View Post

Does the signal from the WLAX site get beamed straight to the WEUX tower, or is there another site in between? (I was always curious about the links in the Eau Claire/La Crosse market, as it is not real common to have multiple full power transmitters for the same station in an area like this)

WLAX DT's signal (25.1/25.2) goes from as far north as the upper edge of Trempealeau County to as far south as into Iowa (Allamakee/Winneshieck (sp?)) and Grant county and as far east as Jackson's/Monroe's eastern edges and as far west as Fillmore...

The microwave signal for WEUX DT is started at the studio on its own 7GHz radio link up to La Crescent, then the A/V is passed directly to the 1st of 3 2GHz. microwaves and sent 1st to Whitehall, where the A/V is demod'd, remod'd and sent on a shorter hop to Strum, where again, it's demod'd and remod'd for the 3rd and final 2Ghz. hop up to Colfax where the Full-powered Xmtr. is located...a total of over 90.529 miles of microwaving going on...hot, buttered popcorn not included...some batteries are, though!

But hopefully, by this fall (before football I hope!) these radios will be retired and we'll have a new, fresh set of better, cleaner radios, with better audio and video being delivered - I waiting on the HD gear and the 7GHz. radio at this time...once it arrives, there will be certain interuptions in our programming up in the Chippewa Falls/Eau Claire area...but I hope to keep it to a minimum...and we might be able to have spares!!! What a novel concept! Replacement parts and whatnot...

What will they think of next?

BTW, the microwave path for the ABC stations is a bit more complicated and bi-directional...you don't even want to know how that one was planned out...another company did it and it took about 16 separate radio links to do it...all from La Crescent, up to Colfax, into Eau Claire and back...

Ouch!

Respectfully,

Mark
mgburg is offline  
post #1335 of 1634 Old 06-29-2009, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gjvrieze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,844
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgburg View Post

WLAX DT's signal (25.1/25.2) goes from as far north as the upper edge of Trempealeau County to as far south as into Iowa (Allamakee/Winneshieck (sp?)) and Grant county and as far east as Jackson's/Monroe's eastern edges and as far west as Fillmore...

The microwave signal for WEUX DT is started at the studio on its own 7GHz radio link up to La Crescent, then the A/V is passed directly to the 1st of 3 2GHz. microwaves and sent 1st to Whitehall, where the A/V is demod'd, remod'd and sent on a shorter hop to Strum, where again, it's demod'd and remod'd for the 3rd and final 2Ghz. hop up to Colfax where the Full-powered Xmtr. is located...a total of over 90.529 miles of microwaving going on...hot, buttered popcorn not included...some batteries are, though!

But hopefully, by this fall (before football I hope!) these radios will be retired and we'll have a new, fresh set of better, cleaner radios, with better audio and video being delivered - I waiting on the HD gear and the 7GHz. radio at this time...once it arrives, there will be certain interuptions in our programming up in the Chippewa Falls/Eau Claire area...but I hope to keep it to a minimum...and we might be able to have spares!!! What a novel concept! Replacement parts and whatnot...

What will they think of next?

BTW, the microwave path for the ABC stations is a bit more complicated and bi-directional...you don't even want to know how that one was planned out...another company did it and it took about 16 separate radio links to do it...all from La Crescent, up to Colfax, into Eau Claire and back...

Ouch!

I was ambiguous with my question, but you answered anyway, thanks! (I was asking about the microwave links, whereas the broadcast radiation data, I have right in front of me for all US TV/FM stations, thanks to TVfool..)


Also, another question for ya: how does the news sharing work with WEAU, do they just pick you up OTA and rebroadcast your news programing, or do you have microwave links to their studio as well?

KD0MOF

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the poster's only and NOT that of the poster's employers.
gjvrieze is offline  
post #1336 of 1634 Old 06-30-2009, 07:59 PM
Member
 
sammy4041's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recieved a twitter message back from Dish and it sounds like the Lacrosse/Eau Claire HD local activation is still on track. Hopefully all goes well.
sammy4041 is offline  
post #1337 of 1634 Old 07-01-2009, 11:43 AM
Member
 
jimboeau's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
They are online according to the uplink report on satelliteguys.us.
jimboeau is offline  
post #1338 of 1634 Old 07-01-2009, 01:13 PM
Member
 
sammy4041's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboeau View Post

They are online according to the uplink report on satelliteguys.us.

Yep and looking awesome. I see no difference in the quality compared to OTA. I am very satisfied.
sammy4041 is offline  
post #1339 of 1634 Old 07-01-2009, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gjvrieze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,844
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboeau View Post

They are online according to the uplink report on satelliteguys.us.

Wow, they are finally in the 100+ markets, this good news, when they finally have all the market's locals in HD, it will be a good thing

KD0MOF

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the poster's only and NOT that of the poster's employers.
gjvrieze is offline  
post #1340 of 1634 Old 07-01-2009, 01:43 PM
Member
 
sammy4041's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjvrieze View Post

Wow, they are finally in the 100+ markets, this good news, when they finally have all the market's locals in HD, it will be a good thing

I am not sure of what number they are on, but I am pretty sure they have went out of order a little bit. I hear from guys at other forums that are still waiting and belong to bigger DMA's than ours.
sammy4041 is offline  
post #1341 of 1634 Old 07-09-2009, 08:59 AM
Member
 
wi-cj5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Chippewa Valley
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Got a Postcard from CHARTER - EAU that states they will be adding the following
HD channels on AUgust 8th:

USA, HGTV, FOOD and MLB
wi-cj5 is offline  
post #1342 of 1634 Old 07-21-2009, 03:01 AM
Member
 
DA1745's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 199
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DA1745 View Post

I'm having some issues with either the old box or the TV itself. It's connected (BOX) DVI - to HDMI (TV) cable - and when I change from HD Channels to SD channels quite often I'll get left with Green / Purple only colors. If I go back to a HD channel everything is fine until I'd switch back to a SD Ch. As a work around I flip the Input to something else and then back to tuner; it ALWAYS clears up or if I shut the TV (Plasma) off - next time it's fine.

I'm in trouble shooting mode. I am going to try Component cables to see if the problem continues there as well. But I was wondering if the (newer) HD boxes from Charter have HDMI ports and a Firewire port. Wondering if my TV which in the past has disliked the DVI to HDMI crossover and seems to classify it as Component in some menues.

Basically if I can find the Make/model I can hopefully look it up online. Hoping it's not the TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjvrieze View Post

I have a recently new Charter HD STB here in Rochester. It is a DCH-6200 with HDMI and firewire (History and USA HD among others) The firewire is active, but a lot of my favorite channels are 5c'ed. if you are interested in a HTPC using the STB, bare in mind, to change channels, you have to add "-f" to the channel change command. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

Hey, thanks for the information. I wanted to wait until I got over there (took a while but finally got there) and I got the new box. Mine was DCH-3200... Old one was DCT-6200 I wonder if they have two models or if you just transposed the 6 & 3? The new box seems to have cleared up all the issues I was getting from the old box (either via Component or DVI Out of the Box into HDMI on the TV).

What OS & programs are you using for FireWireSTB? I got started "trying" to do this a few months back (but I wanted to use Windows), I got completely overwhelmed with compilers for the software etc...
I can and do use Linux, but i'm a lite user. I know Myth TV is well liked but i'm still more comfortable in Windows hell I need to commit more time to get off this terrible addiction/affliction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wi-cj5 View Post

Got a Postcard from CHARTER - EAU that states they will be adding the following
HD channels on AUgust 8th:
USA, HGTV, FOOD and MLB

Yeah, I thought that was well PRETTY DISAPPOINTING!
DA1745 is offline  
post #1343 of 1634 Old 07-23-2009, 05:56 AM
Member
 
hunmanik's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: La Crosse, WI
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This morning W67CH in La Crosse has a most curious problem. There is as much signal as usual, but the picture consists of a completely frozen mess of pixels (this is an analog channel), and the sound consists of a repeating clicking noise. Along the bottom a few words are legible which suggest the picture was in the middle of an infomercial at the time of freezing up. The channel was fine last night.

The first thing I did was rescan for the digital replacement for channel 67, but no dice so far.
hunmanik is offline  
post #1344 of 1634 Old 07-23-2009, 05:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gjvrieze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,844
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunmanik View Post

This morning W67CH in La Crosse has a most curious problem. There is as much signal as usual, but the picture consists of a completely frozen mess of pixels (this is an analog channel), and the sound consists of a repeating clicking noise. Along the bottom a few words are legible which suggest the picture was in the middle of an infomercial at the time of freezing up. The channel was fine last night.

The first thing I did was rescan for the digital replacement for channel 67, but no dice so far.

The OTA receiver that picks up KTTC is prolly not working.

The digital will not be online until sometime in August.

KD0MOF

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the poster's only and NOT that of the poster's employers.
gjvrieze is offline  
post #1345 of 1634 Old 07-23-2009, 11:57 AM
Member
 
hunmanik's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: La Crosse, WI
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
W67CH is back in business. Must've been a pretty easy fix!
hunmanik is offline  
post #1346 of 1634 Old 07-23-2009, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gjvrieze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,844
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunmanik View Post

W67CH is back in business. Must've been a pretty easy fix!

More then likely there is a monitor for W67CH that is watched, prolly not as closely watched as a stations' main feed, but even still, a few hours of downtime is not too bad for a translator. I have a feeling (but could be wrong) that WXOW monitors W67CH.

KD0MOF

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the poster's only and NOT that of the poster's employers.
gjvrieze is offline  
post #1347 of 1634 Old 07-27-2009, 10:01 AM
Member
 
mgburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Onalaska, WI.
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjvrieze View Post

... Also, another question for ya: how does the news sharing work with WEAU, do they just pick you up OTA and rebroadcast your news programing, or do you have microwave links to their studio as well?

We have a "bureau" in our offices in La Crosse...Ray Ogren is the "local" guy...he gets his marching orders from the News Director up at WEAU, goes out and does the story(ies), then comes back and TPFs the stuff to a server that all the Gray Broadcast Entities (about 39 of them or so) can get into, then WEAU pulls out what they need, puts together the "NEWS AT 9" show, sends it out, raw, on their "13.2" right at 2100.00 (± 1 second). We use an LG-4200A demod, pull it in and then we turn around and put it right back out on our air (or store it in our spot-player 'til we're able to close out the previous programming and time-shift the news to then start at that particular time) after we tag it according to what needs tagging.

WEAU also has access to our FOX iPump News Server (Stories (from FOX) stored on a separate server at our facility.) to add to their production of our news...

About 99% of the time, we're actually live with their studios in Eau Claire and running right along side with them...we "SKYPE" the director's cues into our Master Control and CG and ID our product when called for...we roll the commercials when cued, too...just as if they were in the next room.

Now you all know the "deep dark secret" of why you see our "news" on 13.2 at 2100 each night...

Respectfully,

Mark
mgburg is offline  
post #1348 of 1634 Old 08-05-2009, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Joewee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Eau Claire Wisconsin
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What is the latest update on Fox HD in Eau Claire OTA ?
Joewee is offline  
post #1349 of 1634 Old 08-05-2009, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gjvrieze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,844
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joewee View Post

What is the latest update on Fox HD in Eau Claire OTA ?

Here is a quote from Mark over at WLAX (WEUX):

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgburg View Post

The microwave signal for WEUX DT is started at the studio on its own 7GHz radio link up to La Crescent, then the A/V is passed directly to the 1st of 3 2GHz. microwaves and sent 1st to Whitehall, where the A/V is demod'd, remod'd and sent on a shorter hop to Strum, where again, it's demod'd and remod'd for the 3rd and final 2Ghz. hop up to Colfax where the Full-powered Xmtr. is located...a total of over 90.529 miles of microwaving going on...hot, buttered popcorn not included...some batteries are, though!

But hopefully, by this fall (before football I hope!) these radios will be retired and we'll have a new, fresh set of better, cleaner radios, with better audio and video being delivered - I waiting on the HD gear and the 7GHz. radio at this time...once it arrives, there will be certain interuptions in our programming up in the Chippewa Falls/Eau Claire area...but I hope to keep it to a minimum...and we might be able to have spares!!! What a novel concept! Replacement parts and whatnot...

Because of the hops with their signal to WEUX, I would expect it would take a good crew a few days to do all the work at the sites involved. Hopefully Mark will catch this post and reply with a better time frame (and maybe knows dates for a tower crew if the actually microwave dishes have to be switched and radio replacement)

KD0MOF

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the poster's only and NOT that of the poster's employers.
gjvrieze is offline  
post #1350 of 1634 Old 08-24-2009, 06:37 AM
Member
 
rgharrin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Friday NFL game (Wittenberg channel 55) was full of hiccups both audio and video in the first half.
Was it just me or did others have the same problem?
rgharrin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off