LaCrosse / Wausau, WI - HDTV - Page 50 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #1471 of 1634 Old 03-24-2011, 10:37 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1342 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
They had put WEAU on W50DR-D a day or two ago, and that probably caused issues with your Windows 7 PC. I'm not sure what to recommend as far as getting it back as I have no experience with that software.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1472 of 1634 Old 03-25-2011, 05:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by erobert1 View Post

Sorry for asking such a basic question...

I have been happily watching KTTC from Onalaska (just north of La Crosse) on my Windows 7 media PC for a while now. Yesterday I stopped receiving KTTC. I checked my Sony DVR and I am still getting KTTC on that. When I check the signal strength on my PC it is still reporting a strong signal for 10.1 (KTTC). It has 2 sources listed; 10.1 and 50.1. One of them is called Low Power and the other is called KTTC-DT.

Does anyone have any idea why I can get it on my Sony DVR, but my Windows 7 PC lost it? Any ideas on how to fix it?

Thanks

I am getting KTTC on channel 50.3 and the CW channel on 50.4 now in Holmen. Whatever they did it is all messed up.
post #1473 of 1634 Old 03-25-2011, 07:19 AM

Thanks for the replies. I will see if I can get my PC set up again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1474 of 1634 Old 03-25-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdp View Post

This would make sense, as it's a subchannel on 18.3 and 50.1 is most likely jut retransmitting 18.3.

And now it is back to 1080. Glad they got the 1080 back so soon.
post #1475 of 1634 Old 03-25-2011, 10:46 PM

Yesterday afternoon, about 1645.45, WLAX SD (25.2) started re-transmitting WEAU's 13.1...

Yes, it's SD for the time being...but you folks south of Holmen should be getting a decent, usable, viewable signal.

I wouldn't mind getting some feedback as to how it's doing out there.

And please, let the folks up at WEAU know what it looks like and sounds like too...with the tower on the ground and them not expecting to be back up and 100% before 6 months...that's something every engineer just dreads in their lifetimes. I'm sure I can speak for EVERYONE in the engineering community that we are ever so thankful NOBODY WAS HURT OR INJURED during this incident. We have heard that there was a neighbor that believes he did hear the tower falling and hitting the ground, but I don't remember who mentioned it. Whatever it sounded like...it had to be one of those sounds that you don't quite know how to describe, but you know you don't want to ever hear it again...sorta' like a tornado.

Hang in there folks...I'm sure before the summer/fall/winter is over, there will be some other "horse-trading" to keep things interesting these coming months.

Respectfully,

Mark
post #1476 of 1634 Old 03-25-2011, 11:06 PM

Just out of curiosity, how are you picking up the WEAU feed?

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #1477 of 1634 Old 03-26-2011, 05:29 AM

Something is goofy with my PC. I have an HDHomeRun tuner. When I use its software, I can view KTTC. I can't view it through Windows Media Center. It gets a 'No signal' error. I have rescanned for the channels, but no luck. This all started when KTTC briefly was moved to another channel and won't work no that it was moved back.

Any ideas?
post #1478 of 1634 Old 03-27-2011, 03:29 PM

On another note, it looks like WJFW will be adding Antenna TV in July.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #1479 of 1634 Old 03-28-2011, 07:01 PM

Finally got mine to work. Channel 10.1 (NBC) has 2 sources listed for it. I disabled one of the sources and it started working.
post #1480 of 1634 Old 03-31-2011, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Flipping through the channels tonight and 55-2 WFXS has been switched from Untamed Sports to MeTV!!! This is great if you like classic TV!
post #1481 of 1634 Old 03-31-2011, 07:39 PM

Caught MeTV on 55.2 as well - around 8:00 saw the end of Bob Newhart. Excellent! Now I can't wait for WJFW to start AntennaTV in July on 12.2. Nothing against Universal Sports - I just enjoy the old re-runs myself.
post #1482 of 1634 Old 03-31-2011, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Wow, I almost wish I lived in Wausau! You may be the only market in the country getting all thee classic TV subchannels!
post #1483 of 1634 Old 04-03-2011, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Ellis View Post

Wow, I almost wish I lived in Wausau! You may be the only market in the country getting all thee classic TV subchannels!

Chicago is the king of classic TV subchannels. MeTV, MeToo, This, and Antenna TV all originate from Chicago broadcasters (Weigel and Tribune). RTV was recently added on the weakling WPVN, but it doesn't cover the whole market.
For that authentic nostaligia feeling, Weigel also simulcasts MeTV and MeToo in analog on 23 & 48.
post #1484 of 1634 Old 04-04-2011, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 30
WSAW just opened their 6 PM news in HD...the first in the Wausau area! Green Bay does not even have local HD yet!
post #1485 of 1634 Old 04-05-2011, 09:57 AM

Charter added a bunch of new HD channels yesterday.

Spike/FX/CNBC/MSNBC/FNC/HALL/OXY

Finally Spike and FX..........
post #1486 of 1634 Old 04-17-2011, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wi-cj5 View Post

Charter added a bunch of new HD channels yesterday.
Spike/FX/CNBC/MSNBC/FNC/HALL/OXY

Finally Spike and FX..........

I wish they'd add a few more to their Clear QAM offerings.
I'm spending a few days up outside of the twin cities and they have some crazy music video channel and a few extra HD Un-encrypted channels then I get in Western WI.
post #1487 of 1634 Old 04-21-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA1745 View Post

I wish they'd add a few more to their Clear QAM offerings.
I'm spending a few days up outside of the twin cities and they have some crazy music video channel and a few extra HD Un-encrypted channels then I get in Western WI.

You can bet they will NOT be adding any channels that are Un-encrypted....

More new HD channels added last night, CMT/VH1/MTV/E/BET/FUSE/STYLE

Getting real close to not need to watch any of the sd versions of the channels.
post #1488 of 1634 Old 05-17-2011, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hello,

I am moving from just North of Chicago to Marshfield, WI and was curious what my options are for HDTV?

Seems that "charter" is the local cable TV provider. Where I am located I have been just using an OTA antenna to get both Milwaukee and Chicago stations.

Can someone give me a breakdown of the pro's and con's of charter cable service in Wisconsin versus OTA?

Plus, how easy or hard is it to integrate charter cable TV into an HTPC system (Windows 7 Media Center)?

Thanks - Bob
post #1489 of 1634 Old 05-18-2011, 04:42 AM

Bob,
As a Marshfield resident, right now NBC programs will not come OTA as the local station's antenna is off-line so you would have to go cable for that otherwise you could get all other Wausau stations OTA.

Doug Newman
post #1490 of 1634 Old 05-18-2011, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Charter is pretty good as cable companies go. They have great internet service for the price.

At least on the systems around here, the bandpass filter used on internet-only service allows all of Charter's Clear QAM channels to pass through. This includes all your locals (in HD) as well as the C-SPANS, religious channels, music choice and some other stuff.
post #1491 of 1634 Old 05-19-2011, 01:57 PM

Well, when WEAU is rebuilt, it will operate not on channel 13, but on channel 38, if a petition recently filed with the FCC is approved.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #1492 of 1634 Old 05-22-2011, 06:44 PM

Sounds like WJFW's switch from Universal Sports to Antenna TV is being bumped up a bit - Monday May 23rd appears to be the new date. For what it's worth, the TitanTV guide link in their website reflects the new programming already.
post #1493 of 1634 Old 05-22-2011, 11:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
http://www.weau.com/tower/headlines/...121723209.html

I don't live in the area but for those of you that do, how is the picture quality on 18 now then both 18.1 and 18.3 are running HD-720p & 1080i?

Also on WEAU.com there's a video posted that says they hope to have the new tower completed in 18 months or less, and to have 13.1 on the air by the second week of June.
post #1494 of 1634 Old 05-28-2011, 08:56 PM

It looks like WKBT in La Crosse is broadcasting their news in HD. Not sure how long that has been going on, but just noticed it. It looks like they're the first local news station to go to HD news.
post #1495 of 1634 Old 07-28-2011, 10:29 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thread CPR!

TV 13 moving back to 13.1 OTA on August 1st (if they haven't already)!!! They are going to be broadcasting from the E.C. Tower on hastings way. I didn't catch what the channel will be in LAX... if it's changing or not. I thought it was 25 something (IDK if they were on the WEUX 25/48 tower down there in LAX or what) as they were on WQOW 18/19 up in E.C.
---------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by erobert1 View Post

...on my Windows 7 media PC for a while now. When I check the signal strength on my PC it is still reporting a strong signal for 10.1 (KTTC). It has 2 sources listed; 10.1 and 50.1. but my Windows 7 PC lost it? Any ideas on how to fix it?
Thanks
-I have rescanned for the channels, but no luck.
-Finally got mine to work. Channel 10.1 (NBC) has 2 sources listed for it. I disabled one of the sources and it started working.

Interesting problem. I have been using Vista MC (w/ the FIJI TV media pack ~> so it's almost W7) and Windows 7 MC for several years now. I live in the E.C. area so the Ch. #'s you sited don't have context or meaning to me (but I gather they are O.T.A.) since you mentioned "strong signal" although they also report a signal strength for cable too (which is what I have) - through Charter.

Using Vist MC years back titan TV was getting information from charter and would automatically input the listings for about 18 of the Clear QAM HD & SD digital channels. However, in the past year plus (since I've moved onto W7 the first day it was out) ~ charter sends only (1) Clear QAM listing to Titan TV. So I have to now go in and map all the other 70+ TV and music channels manual, it's a P.I.T.A. but thankfully they have stopped switching up the Clear QAM lineup every few months making the task far less frequent.

But I've never come across the problem of two sources for the same channel (that I didn't manually go in and re-map myself). So i'm curious what happened and what the second source was listed as if you remember?

Quote:

You can bet they will NOT be adding any channels that are Un-encrypted....
More new HD channels added last night, CMT/VH1/MTV/E/BET/FUSE/STYLE
Getting real close to not need to watch any of the sd versions of the channels.

Well you never know what the Clear QAM lineup will be. For a while I was getting WCCO 4, KTSP 5, KARE 11, and a few other Minnesota stations as well as our locals. And every so often a channel gets added like ION, WGN, TV Guide (plays mostly TV and movies), we still have KMSP 9 and WUCW 23 from the Cities too. It all depends on the market you live in (no two cable districts even w/i the same company are the same...).

The one complaint to the otherwise good news (always see glass half full & half empty) is that it marks the march towards the eventual elimination of their Analog service (service w/o a box or cable card). I'm gearing up myself to buy either the Silicon Dust prime or the Ceton Cable card system for my PC soon (haven't made up my mind which is the best for my needs) factoring in the savings in rental costs if the unit lives for ~32 - 38 months it pays for itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorit01 View Post

Hello,
I am moving from just North of Chicago to Marshfield, WI and was curious what my options are for HDTV?
Seems that "charter" is the local cable TV provider. Where I am located I have been just using an OTA antenna to get both Milwaukee and Chicago stations.
Can someone give me a breakdown of the pro's and con's of charter cable service in Wisconsin versus OTA?
Plus, how easy or hard is it to integrate charter cable TV into an HTPC system (Windows 7 Media Center)?
Thanks - Bob

It will be quite a change from what you are used to getting OTA but AFAICT you should be able to get your "major networks" OTA.
Charter - While constantly rated the worst cable co nationwide, has given us excellent service for a long time. BUT they are expensive. No competiton in my area to the West of where you are planning to move. I heard from a relative in Appleton that AT&T U-verse has moved in there so that's a nice step (hopefully it will make it's way over to Eau Claire, before I die!!!

TV - Expensive. And within the last year they have finally begun to add / play catch up to satellite with the # of ch.s they offer in HD. They seem to add more ever so often, but for a while it was a TRICKLE here & there.

The internet service (I live in the country and am at the very edge of the area they service so super lucky to have it and for a while the cost through a work deal was quite reasonable $19.99 a month. They ended that and now our choices (with a bundle are $19.99 for 1Mbps, or $29.99 for 12Mbps, $39.99 for 18Mbps. They puposely are setting the "Lite tier" so low that for movie watchers/steaming content you almost have to go up... VUDU HD puts you in the 6-9Mbps category - So anyway charter is being douche' and they know that it's clever marketing; most people will get signed up for at least the second tier even if they are just basic internet users and 1Mbps would suit them very well.

Phone - which we also have bundled w/ them has & continues to be cheaper than the previous phone service. It's been crystal clear and zero problems. The phone modem is mounted in a tough spot, so I unplug TV & modem cables and unplug everything else but I can't get to it and it's weathered some bad storms including one that fried the splitter at our cable junction box (burnt out an HDMI on a TV I wasn't home to unplug) and took out [like a leap from] hitting various neighbors randomly at the service box on the road or at the house or frying their Cable boxes inside etc... but the phone system with-stood it all (no UPS on that either).

Price is the only thing I'm grumpy about. Quality of signal and internet has been wonderful. If there was a second cable competition (Fios or U-verse) and if it drove prices down a little I would be even happier. Also enough with there 2 year contracts!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdp View Post

Charter is pretty good as cable companies go. They have great internet service for the price.
At least on the systems around here, the bandpass filter used on internet-only service allows all of Charter's Clear QAM channels to pass through. This includes all your locals (in HD) as well as the C-SPANS, religious channels, music choice and some other stuff.

Agree, it would be nice to have either the $19.99 plan raised to 5 Mbps or add in another plan for say $24.99 for 6 Mbps though. $120 extra every year adds up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

Well, when WEAU is rebuilt, it will operate not on channel 13, but on channel 38, if a petition recently filed with the FCC is approved.
- Trip

Was there ever a chance they could have switched over to UHF Digital. If ever there was a chance to get a do over this would be it. I supposed the equipment to broadcast was still working though... I was SO disappointed when the VHF digital distance traveled turned out to be far less than UHF digital.
post #1496 of 1634 Old 08-03-2011, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by DA1745 View Post

Was there ever a chance they could have switched over to UHF Digital. If ever there was a chance to get a do over this would be it. I supposed the equipment to broadcast was still working though... I was SO disappointed when the VHF digital distance traveled turned out to be far less than UHF digital.

I'm curious if WEAU's plans are to rebuild the tower to it's original height? Wikipedia says it was the tallest structure in Wisconsin, be a shame to have to put up something smaller in it's place.
post #1497 of 1634 Old 08-03-2011, 01:20 PM

I believe WEAU's tower will be back up and running by sometime this fall. As far as I know, they are rebuilding to the same height. It also appears the temporary transmitter they are running right now on actual channel 13 in Eau Claire will still be on the air as a translator after the new tower is functional. . (pending FCC approval).
post #1498 of 1634 Old 08-03-2011, 01:27 PM

Here's the latest I could find about WEAU...
WISCONSIN:
The FCC has moved quickly to approve a proposal from WEAU-TV (Eau Claire) to change its digital channel from 13 to 38. The station's tower near Fairchild collapsed in March, and WEAU proposed moving to UHF as part of the reconstruction because viewers had reported reception problems since WEAU moved digital broadcasts from channel 39 to 13 in 2009. WEAU must still apply for and receive a construction permit for the channel 38 facility. The FCC had already approved a 15kW translator for WEAU on channel 25 in Eau Claire and special temporary authority to broadcast on channel 13 from Eau Claire until the new tower is built. WEAU's NBC lineup has been seen on subchannels of other stations in the area, as well as cable and satellite, since the collapse. (7/24/2011)
post #1499 of 1634 Old 08-05-2011, 06:41 AM

WEAU started broadcasting the local news in HD last night
post #1500 of 1634 Old 08-05-2011, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

WEAU started broadcasting the local news in HD last night

Are the newscasts on WLAX/WEUX also now in HD?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page