Phoenix, AZ - HDTV - Page 395 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 308Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #11821 of 11890 Old 09-15-2018, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rabbit73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S.E. VA
Posts: 3,232
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bboy486 View Post
Since it is AZ (and a single story) most windows faces north south and east due to the sun. I have only three windows that face west and they are in rooms that can be used (non media rooms).

Attic is a possibility when it cools off. Just need to figure out how to run lines.
Make a test first before drilling any holes.

Try the Mohu first.

The next step up is a GE Attic antenna like the 34792 or 29884 which require assembly, or an Antennas Direct C2V which doesn't require as much assembly. It is being replaced by the C2MAX, which should have the accessory reflector added to reject multipath reflections. These antennas only have a dipole for VHF-High channels 10 and 12 (Fox and NBC), which might not be sufficient.

If so, then the next step up for the attic would be a Winegard HD7694P antenna.

If you have an aluminum thermal barrier in the attic, it will also block TV signals.

Good luck.

Best regards,
rabbit
Bboy486 likes this.

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
www.megalithia.com/elect/aerialsite/dttpoorman.html
rabbit73 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #11822 of 11890 Old 09-15-2018, 04:49 PM
ebo
Advanced Member
 
ebo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Delmar NY
Posts: 941
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bboy486 View Post
What do you suggest as an alternative to the leaf?
With a reasonably unobstructed shot at South Mountain 20 miles away, rabbit ears with a loop would probably be enough. Typically $10-$15. The attic might be OK provided it's above the stucco walls and the roof isn't metal or something else that blocks the signals. You'll want to adjust the elements for best high VHF reception. The article How to use Rabbit Ears can help.


Why can't you mount it outside? WAF? No problem. Just give her a copy of the OTARD (Over-the-Air Reception Devices Rule) and tell her she's been overruled by the FCC. That should do it.

BTW, if it's an HOA rule, the OTARD really does overrule them.
Bboy486 likes this.
ebo is offline  
post #11823 of 11890 Old 09-15-2018, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
DoubleDAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Peoria, AZ (75 Ave & T-Bird)
Posts: 10,419
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bboy486 View Post
Attic is a possibility when it cools off. Just need to figure out how to run lines.
I found that our home builder installed a PVC pipe running up to the attic near the outlet where I plug in the TV. I tied a heavy nut to some string and dropped it down the pipe to run some wires for ceiling speakers. YMMV

Cheers, Dave
DoubleDAZ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #11824 of 11890 Old 09-15-2018, 07:49 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I doubt I'm that lucky.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Bboy486 is online now  
post #11825 of 11890 Old 09-16-2018, 08:56 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I was able to move the mohu in my closet which is further east. Still not great. I actually lost some of the channels.

I have to mess with the placement. The good news it out of the way for WAF.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Bboy486 is online now  
post #11826 of 11890 Old 09-17-2018, 09:35 AM
Senior Member
 
artisticimaging's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: DS9
Posts: 391
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bboy486 View Post
I currently have an HD homerun connect, Plex pass, live channels on my Android TV box. I use a mohu that is running in my den against the wall that is East facing. The most part I guess most of the channels except for Fox HD and I never get NBC.

the antenna is currently on the inside of my house because I have no way of putting it on the outside. No matter what I move it I can't get those channels.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...90382a6b2e8e03

Single-story stucco.

The issue could be the Tuner. I have six TV's and dvrs devices with a 30' outside antenna. All of them except one Sanyo TV picks up all of the channels. The Sanyo TV picks up the 12 channels but will not pick up any of the 10 channels except 10.2. Weak or bad tuner on the Sanyo which also does not pick up some other channels.
artisticimaging is offline  
post #11827 of 11890 Old 09-17-2018, 07:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
TheRatPatrol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 2,111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticimaging View Post
The issue could be the Tuner. I have six TV's and dvrs devices with a 30' outside antenna. All of them except one Sanyo TV picks up all of the channels. The Sanyo TV picks up the 12 channels but will not pick up any of the 10 channels except 10.2. Weak or bad tuner on the Sanyo which also does not pick up some other channels.
Are you using an amp? It could that splitting the signal 6 times could be causing a weaker signal to that Sanyo.
TheRatPatrol is offline  
post #11828 of 11890 Old 09-18-2018, 09:49 AM
Senior Member
 
artisticimaging's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: DS9
Posts: 391
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRatPatrol View Post
Are you using an amp? It could that splitting the signal 6 times could be causing a weaker signal to that Sanyo.
I have tried everything, amp, no amp, different kinds of amps, only item on the antenna, other antennas, different locations, and nothing works. It is just a weak tuner. It only picks up about 30 channels, and it is the only one, the other 5 devices pickup everything. Thanks for the suggestion TheRatPatrol.
artisticimaging is offline  
post #11829 of 11890 Old 09-30-2018, 10:41 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm using a hd homerun connect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticimaging View Post
The issue could be the Tuner. I have six TV's and dvrs devices with a 30' outside antenna. All of them except one Sanyo TV picks up all of the channels. The Sanyo TV picks up the 12 channels but will not pick up any of the 10 channels except 10.2. Weak or bad tuner on the Sanyo which also does not pick up some other channels.
Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Bboy486 is online now  
post #11830 of 11890 Old 09-30-2018, 10:43 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Would using two antennas help pick up extra channels?

I was able to get a few HD channels by move the antenna. If I had two wouldn't that assist in getting channels since the channels are in different areas on my wall?

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...903805c23ce46c

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Bboy486 is online now  
post #11831 of 11890 Old 10-01-2018, 07:14 AM
Newbie
 
LubyN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The issue is usually the height of the antenna and the distance to the transmitter. We are northwest of Phoenix near 107th and Beardsley and have indoor antennas. We are not able to get NBC, or Fox HD.

This web site is a resource for this kind of information, as well as telling you which direction to face your antenna for a particular station.
https://www.tvfool.com/index.php?opt...pper&Itemid=29

Good Luck!
LubyN is offline  
post #11832 of 11890 Old 10-01-2018, 08:02 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by LubyN View Post
The issue is usually the height of the antenna and the distance to the transmitter. We are northwest of Phoenix near 107th and Beardsley and have indoor antennas. We are not able to get NBC, or Fox HD.

This web site is a resource for this kind of information, as well as telling you which direction to face your antenna for a particular station.
https://www.tvfool.com/index.php?opt...pper&Itemid=29

Good Luck!
What I ended up doing was adding an amplifier and using two mohu leafs.

I am able to get CBS NBC ABC HD Fox SD and a few other channels. I actually lost Telemundo which is odd but I'd rather have NBC.

I also noticed that if I change the hardware decoding option it helps with the stuttering.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Bboy486 is online now  
post #11833 of 11890 Old 10-01-2018, 09:00 AM
Senior Member
 
dhett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chandler AZ
Posts: 455
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bboy486 View Post
I am able to get CBS NBC ABC HD Fox SD and a few other channels. I actually lost Telemundo which is odd but I'd rather have NBC.

Do you have Telemundo back now? They've been in and out since mid-September, preparing for their channel change on November 30, when they move from RF channel 39 to RF channel 29, although you will continue to tune them in on channel 39 (using what is known as a virtual channel).


Other Phoenix stations changing channels on November 30: KASW (CW 6) changes from RF channel 49 to RF channel 27, although OTA TVs will still tune them in as channel 61; and KPDF-CA (Azteca America) changes from RF channel 41 to RF channel 22, but still tuned in as channel 41 (it's a low-power station, so you may not get them at your location anyway, especially with an indoor antenna).


If you can get low-power stations, watch out for these channel changes in the near future:
  • KTVP-LP channel 22, from RF channel 22 to RF channel 23
  • K38IZ-D channel 38, from RF channel 38 to RF channel 14
  • KEJR-LD channel 40, from RF channel 40 to RF channel 32
  • KVPA-LD channel 42, from RF channel 42 to RF channel 34
  • KDPH-LD channels 48 and 58, from RF channel 46 to RF channel 13
  • KFPB-LD channel 50, from RF channel 50 to RF channel 30

Only KTVP has to be moved by November 30, as KPDF is taking over its channel assignment. The rest have to move when T-Mobile tells them to, but no sooner than November 30. T-Mobile bought most of the Phoenix-area 600 MHz frequencies in last year's FCC auction, and wants to roll out service as soon as it can. RF channels 38-51 are in the 600 MHz band, so all stations with those RF channel assignments had to move. Phoenix channels 44, 45 and 51 are virtual channels only; their RF channels are actually 16, 26 and 31, respectively.



It's unknown whether the low-power stations will keep their current virtual channel, or change it to match their new RF channel. The FCC is a bit more flexible with LPTV virtual channel assignments than with full-power and Class A stations, which had to keep their old analog channels as their virtual channels, with a few exceptions.
dhett is offline  
post #11834 of 11890 Old 10-01-2018, 09:10 AM
Senior Member
 
dhett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chandler AZ
Posts: 455
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by LubyN View Post
The issue is usually the height of the antenna and the distance to the transmitter. We are northwest of Phoenix near 107th and Beardsley and have indoor antennas. We are not able to get NBC, or Fox HD.

NBC and Fox HD are on VHF channels, which is likely why you cannot get them. Most indoor antennas are optimized for UHF frequencies only, although stronger VHF signals, like PBS's KAET, on channel 8, get through. (Channels 3 and 5 actually broadcast on UHF frequencies; they kept channels 3 and 5 as virtual channels, per FCC requirements.)


You probably get Fox SD because it actually broadcasts on KUTP's stream on UHF channel 26. Channel 10.2 is the virtual channel.


Chances are good that you also live in a stucco home, which is especially problematic. The chicken wire used to hold the stucco kills TV signals. If you're using an indoor antenna, it's good to mount it on or near a window, or even better to mount it in the attic if you can. An outdoor antenna mounted outdoors (as opposed to in the attic) is actually your best bet, although many people don't like the looks or hassle of mounting outdoors. Adding to the hassle is the fact that HOAs often try to discourage outdoor antennas, although they are not allowed to prohibit them, per FCC OTARD regulations.

Last edited by dhett; 10-01-2018 at 09:21 AM.
dhett is offline  
post #11835 of 11890 Old 10-01-2018, 06:46 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhett View Post
Do you have Telemundo back now? They've been in and out since mid-September, preparing for their channel change on November 30, when they move from RF channel 39 to RF channel 29, although you will continue to tune them in on channel 39 (using what is known as a virtual channel).


Other Phoenix stations changing channels on November 30: KASW (CW 6) changes from RF channel 49 to RF channel 27, although OTA TVs will still tune them in as channel 61; and KPDF-CA (Azteca America) changes from RF channel 41 to RF channel 22, but still tuned in as channel 41 (it's a low-power station, so you may not get them at your location anyway, especially with an indoor antenna).


If you can get low-power stations, watch out for these channel changes in the near future:
  • KTVP-LP channel 22, from RF channel 22 to RF channel 23
  • K38IZ-D channel 38, from RF channel 38 to RF channel 14
  • KEJR-LD channel 40, from RF channel 40 to RF channel 32
  • KVPA-LD channel 42, from RF channel 42 to RF channel 34
  • KDPH-LD channels 48 and 58, from RF channel 46 to RF channel 13
  • KFPB-LD channel 50, from RF channel 50 to RF channel 30

Only KTVP has to be moved by November 30, as KPDF is taking over its channel assignment. The rest have to move when T-Mobile tells them to, but no sooner than November 30. T-Mobile bought most of the Phoenix-area 600 MHz frequencies in last year's FCC auction, and wants to roll out service as soon as it can. RF channels 38-51 are in the 600 MHz band, so all stations with those RF channel assignments had to move. Phoenix channels 44, 45 and 51 are virtual channels only; their RF channels are actually 16, 26 and 31, respectively.



It's unknown whether the low-power stations will keep their current virtual channel, or change it to match their new RF channel. The FCC is a bit more flexible with LPTV virtual channel assignments than with full-power and Class A stations, which had to keep their old analog channels as their virtual channels, with a few exceptions.
Well I just set it up on Sunday. While Univision and Telemundo come in they are choppy and unwatchable. When I didn't have NBC I was able to get this channels no issue. ABC HD is a bit choppy but I am using hardware decoding on my shield and that's helping. I don't get fox HD but sd is fine.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Bboy486 is online now  
post #11836 of 11890 Old 10-01-2018, 06:50 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhett View Post
NBC and Fox HD are on VHF channels, which is likely why you cannot get them. Most indoor antennas are optimized for UHF frequencies only, although stronger VHF signals, like PBS's KAET, on channel 8, get through. (Channels 3 and 5 actually broadcast on UHF frequencies; they kept channels 3 and 5 as virtual channels, per FCC requirements.)


You probably get Fox SD because it actually broadcasts on KUTP's stream on UHF channel 26. Channel 10.2 is the virtual channel.


Chances are good that you also live in a stucco home, which is especially problematic. The chicken wire used to hold the stucco kills TV signals. If you're using an indoor antenna, it's good to mount it on or near a window, or even better to mount it in the attic if you can. An outdoor antenna mounted outdoors (as opposed to in the attic) is actually your best bet, although many people don't like the looks or hassle of mounting outdoors. Adding to the hassle is the fact that HOAs often try to discourage outdoor antennas, although they are not allowed to prohibit them, per FCC OTARD regulations.
Yes I have stucco. That is part of the issue. My windows are North, south or east facing. I only have two west facing windows and it's in the kids room.


Funny enough that when I had the mohu on the window (east facing) I got less reception than the setup I posted above in my closet (south facing rather than West facing).

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Bboy486 is online now  
post #11837 of 11890 Old 10-03-2018, 02:10 PM
Newbie
 
Travillion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Phoenix, AZ - Antenna location considerations

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9038ac6f224f8d

Hello, I am preparing to install an antenna. My house is approximately 60' long and runs front-to-back almost the same direction as the broadcast towers (the house face is maybe 20-30 degrees off from the towers). I'm planning on mounting the antenna to the fascia using a j-mount. While the most direct los install would be to put the antenna on or near the front face of the house, I don't want to do that for aesthetic and logistical reasons. My electric panel and the conduit for cable to enter the house are on the back left side. The easiest and most aesthetically pleasing install would be near the panel/conduit on the back left. This will require shorter cable/grounding runs and require much less cable hiding in the eaves. My concern is that the length of the rooftop (most of which will be before the antenna) will cause interference with the signal. My rooftop basically a long rectangle: I would like to install the antenna on the back left corner, and the broadcast towers are in the direction of the front right corner.

Assuming I can get the antenna a couple feet higher than the rooftop, should I be concerned about the length of the roof bouncing the signal? It is a tile roof with radiant barrier, hence my decision to mount outdoors instead of attic.

Thank you!

Last edited by DrDon; 10-04-2018 at 07:25 AM.
Travillion is offline  
post #11838 of 11890 Old 10-03-2018, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rabbit73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S.E. VA
Posts: 3,232
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Welcome to the forum, Travillion

Is this your report?
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9038ac6f224f8d

It is possible that you will have reflections from the roof. They can either help or harm the incoming signals. Since it is difficult to predict the result, you must make a test before permanent mounting and drilling.

Try the easy way first.

Fortunately, your signals are quite strong and in the same direction.

What antenna will you be using?

If the antenna is outside, the coax shield should be grounded with a grounding block that is connected to the house electrical system ground with 10 gauge copper wire for electrical safety and to reject interference. For further compliance with the electrical code (NEC), the mast should also be grounded in a similar manner to drain any buildup of static charge which will tend to discourage a strike, but the system will not survive a direct strike.


If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
www.megalithia.com/elect/aerialsite/dttpoorman.html

Last edited by rabbit73; 10-03-2018 at 03:21 PM.
rabbit73 is offline  
post #11839 of 11890 Old 10-03-2018, 03:34 PM
Newbie
 
Travillion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you for the reply. Yes, that is my TVfool report.

I am planning on grounding the mast and the coax, which is one of the reasons it would be so much easier to mount the antenna near the the electrical panel (there is the main bonding block right there that will be easy to connect to).

I know the *right* thing is to test before mounting, but this is also easier said than done. The mounting location is at the top of a ladder 25-30 feet up, and far away from the TV inside. I don't see how I can move the antenna around from the ladder and thoroughly assess reception at the same time. I kind of hoped I could pick a mounting location and then fine-tune the mast as needed. How do most people test outdoor mount positions before installing?
Travillion is offline  
post #11840 of 11890 Old 10-03-2018, 05:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Channel99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 408
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travillion View Post
Thank you for the reply. Yes, that is my TVfool report.

I am planning on grounding the mast and the coax, which is one of the reasons it would be so much easier to mount the antenna near the the electrical panel (there is the main bonding block right there that will be easy to connect to).

I know the *right* thing is to test before mounting, but this is also easier said than done. The mounting location is at the top of a ladder 25-30 feet up, and far away from the TV inside. I don't see how I can move the antenna around from the ladder and thoroughly assess reception at the same time. I kind of hoped I could pick a mounting location and then fine-tune the mast as needed. How do most people test outdoor mount positions before installing?
One way is a pair of walkie-talkies and an assistant at the TV....
Channel99 is offline  
post #11841 of 11890 Old 10-03-2018, 07:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rabbit73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S.E. VA
Posts: 3,232
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked: 371
I agree, it would be difficult to change the mounting location when up on the ladder. But, I see no reason why you couldn't mount the antenna where you want it, aim the antenna at 109 true/98 magnetic degrees, run a temporary coax to a TV, and do a channel scan.

If you don't get what you want, THEN think about changing the antenna location if necessary.

Some people take a tablet with them to the antenna that is connected to WiFi to adjust antenna aim.

You didn't answer my question about what antenna you will be using.

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
www.megalithia.com/elect/aerialsite/dttpoorman.html
rabbit73 is offline  
post #11842 of 11890 Old 10-03-2018, 11:31 PM
Newbie
 
Travillion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post
I agree, it would be difficult to change the mounting location when up on the ladder. But, I see no reason why you couldn't mount the antenna where you want it, aim the antenna at 109 true/98 magnetic degrees, run a temporary coax to a TV, and do a channel scan.

If you don't get what you want, THEN think about changing the antenna location if necessary.

Some people take a tablet with them to the antenna that is connected to WiFi to adjust antenna aim.

You didn't answer my question about what antenna you will be using.
I have some clamps for woodworking, I bet I could clamp the antenna in the desired location, do the channel scan and verify, and then drill/permanent mount as appropriate.

I apologize for not answering your question about the antenna selection. I do want some feedback on that, but I also didn't want the thread to digress before getting a few opinions on whether the roof would be an obstacle. Seems to be an unknown, but at least I haven't heard any strong feedback against it .

I am considering a few different antennas. I was initially drawn to the Antennas Direct ClearStream 2MAX because it looked clean and unobtrusive, but it's not really designed for VHF and I have a few VHF-Hi channels that I care about. So then I was looking at the Channel Master Suburban Advantage (CM-3016) or the Winegard 45-mile range (HD7694P), but they look pretty big and I worry about my HOA. I know the FCC protects my right to mount an antenna, but I still don't want to tick off the HOA because they can make my life miserable in other ways. Also in consideration is the Channel Master Compact 45-mile range (CM 2016), which I think would go unnoticed by my HOA, but will it be too "lightweight" for my needs?

Any thoughts/opinions?
Travillion is offline  
post #11843 of 11890 Old 10-04-2018, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator
 
DrDon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Metro Detroit, Tampa Bay
Posts: 16,975
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2256 Post(s)
Liked: 4247
Moved to existing Phoenix thread.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.

Last edited by DrDon; 10-04-2018 at 08:34 AM.
DrDon is online now  
post #11844 of 11890 Old 10-04-2018, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rabbit73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S.E. VA
Posts: 3,232
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travillion View Post
I apologize for not answering your question about the antenna selection. I do want some feedback on that, but I also didn't want the thread to digress before getting a few opinions on whether the roof would be an obstacle. Seems to be an unknown, but at least I haven't heard any strong feedback against it.
Understood

I would be surprised if anyone could predict with great precision the results of roof reflections that combine with the direct signal to your antenna.

I think your mounting location has a high chance of being satisfactory, but I am reluctant to guarantee success. I don't know what your location looks like, but if you send me the exact coordinates of the proposed antenna location in a PM to protect your identity, I can look at the green signal lines in a satellite view.

Your TVFool signals report assumes that your antenna will be outside, in the clear, with no objects in the signal path. It is obvious that you understand that when you mentioned the antenna will be high enough for the signals to clear the roof. If you have to extend the J mount, you will need to add diagonal braces (struts).
Quote:
I am considering a few different antennas. I was initially drawn to the Antennas Direct ClearStream 2MAX because it looked clean and unobtrusive, but it's not really designed for VHF and I have a few VHF-Hi channels that I care about. So then I was looking at the Channel Master Suburban Advantage (CM-3016) or the Winegard 45-mile range (HD7694P), but they look pretty big and I worry about my HOA. I know the FCC protects my right to mount an antenna, but I still don't want to tick off the HOA because they can make my life miserable in other ways. Also in consideration is the Channel Master Compact 45-mile range (CM 2016), which I think would go unnoticed by my HOA, but will it be too "lightweight" for my needs?
I favor the original Antennas Direct C2VJ over the current C2MAX which is more readily available. The C2VJ comes with a reflector and a J mount. If you order the C2MAX, I suggest the additional accessory reflector be added to reject multipath reflections.

It is true that they only have a simple dipole for VHF-High channels, but with a listed noise margin of about 55 dB for your VHF-High channels, you could suffer a lot of signal loss before you are in trouble. If your report is accurate, you shouldn't need, and shouldn't use a preamp because of the risk of overload. If you have long coax lines and many TVs, a distribution amp can replace the splitter.

The CM 2016 (Digital Advantage 45) also has a dipole for VHF-High; its performance should be similar to the C2V or C2MAX with reflector.

The CM 3016 does have more VHF gain, but it also covers the VHF-Low channels 2-6, which you don't have. The VHF-Low channels need elements that are very wide.

The Winegard HD7694 has good UHF and VHF-High gain. If for some weird reason you need more antenna gain, that would be a good upgrade.


You have some moderately strong local FM transmitters that might interfere with the reception of your VHF signals. If they do, a filter can be added down below.


http://www.fmfool.com/modeling/tmp/b...d/Radar-FM.png

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
www.megalithia.com/elect/aerialsite/dttpoorman.html

Last edited by rabbit73; 10-04-2018 at 07:49 AM.
rabbit73 is offline  
post #11845 of 11890 Old 10-04-2018, 09:17 AM
Newbie
 
Travillion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post
I would be surprised if anyone could predict with great precision the results of roof reflections that combine with the direct signal to your antenna.

I think your mounting location has a high chance of being satisfactory, but I am reluctant to guarantee success. I don't know what your location looks like, but if you send me the exact coordinates of the proposed antenna location in a PM to protect your identity, I can look at the green signal lines in a satellite view.
I understand the caution given the uncertainties. I appreciate the educated guess 😉.

Quote:
I favor the original Antennas Direct C2VJ over the current C2MAX which is more readily available. The C2VJ comes with a reflector and a J mount. If you order the C2MAX, I suggest the additional accessory reflector be added to reject multipath reflections.
Is the reflector the main reason you prefer the C2VJ?

Quote:
The CM 2016 (Digital Advantage 45) also has a dipole for VHF-High; its performance should be similar to the C2V or C2MAX with reflector.

The CM 3016 does have more VHF gain, but it also covers the VHF-Low channels 2-6, which you don't have. The VHF-Low channels need elements that are very wide.

The Winegard HD7694 has good UHF and VHF-High gain. If for some weird reason you need more antenna gain, that would be a good upgrade.
So the takeaway is that the Antennas Direct models, though not geared for VHF, should probably be sufficient for my VHF-hi channels, especially with a reflector attached. The CM 2016 would also probably be a good choice. The CM 3016 will be overkill with the VHF-low, which brings unnecessary bulk. The Winegard would also probably be more than I need. So really it boils down to Antennas Direct or CM 2016.
Travillion is offline  
post #11846 of 11890 Old 10-04-2018, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rabbit73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S.E. VA
Posts: 3,232
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travillion View Post
I understand the caution given the uncertainties. I appreciate the educated guess 😉.
Oh, you threw me there for a minute. Emoticon for winking face:
Quote:
Is the reflector the main reason you prefer the C2VJ?
It has a proven history, the reflector is included; it's extra cost for the C2MAX accessory reflector. Since the C2VJ is an older model, it's not in the distribution chain and is often discounted. The reflector only helps UHF, not VHF. The C2MAX is easier to assemble. The performance of both should be similar. It's your choice.
Quote:
So the takeaway is that the Antennas Direct models, though not geared for VHF, should probably be sufficient for my VHF-hi channels, especially with a reflector attached. The CM 2016 would also probably be a good choice. The CM 3016 will be overkill with the VHF-low, which brings unnecessary bulk. The Winegard would also probably be more than I need. So really it boils down to Antennas Direct or CM 2016.
Yup, you've got it right.

If I got it wrong, I'll get shotdown by the other regulars.

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
www.megalithia.com/elect/aerialsite/dttpoorman.html
rabbit73 is offline  
post #11847 of 11890 Old 10-04-2018, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member
 
ADTech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: St Louis
Posts: 797
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
it's extra cost for the C2MAX accessory reflector.
While inventory lasts, we're including a reflector for any of the MAX antennas purchased directly from us.
Quote:
it's not in the distribution chain
Still lots in inventory.

Quote:
The reflector only helps UHF, not VHF.
Correct. It has a negligible effect on VHF.
Quote:
The C2MAX is easier to assemble.
Way easier. Pull it out its box, either install it on its indoor stand or attach the mast clamp to the rear, and it's pretty much ready to go. A simpler customer experience was one of the primary drivers of the re-design launched last year.
Quote:
The performance of both should be similar.
Negligible difference in performance for identically equipped variations.
rabbit73 likes this.

Tech support for Antennas Direct
ADTech is offline  
post #11848 of 11890 Old 10-04-2018, 01:02 PM
Newbie
 
Travillion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post
Oh, you threw me there for a minute. Emoticon for winking face:<img src="https://www.avsforum.com/forum/images/AVSForum/smilies/tango_face_wink.png" border="0" alt="" title="Wink" class="inlineimg" />
Sorry about that, my work has a firewall that prevents me from posting, so I'm doing this on my phone and sometimes things don't work well!

Quote:
So the takeaway is that the Antennas Direct models, though not geared for VHF, should probably be sufficient for my VHF-hi channels, especially with a reflector attached. The CM 2016 would also probably be a good choice. The CM 3016 will be overkill with the VHF-low, which brings unnecessary bulk. The Winegard would also probably be more than I need. So really it boils down to Antennas Direct or CM 2016.
Quote:
Yup, you've got it right.
Great, thanks!
Travillion is offline  
post #11849 of 11890 Old 10-04-2018, 01:04 PM
Newbie
 
Travillion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
Quote:
it's extra cost for the C2MAX accessory reflector.
While inventory lasts, we're including a reflector for any of the MAX antennas purchased directly from us.
Quote:
it's not in the distribution chain
Still lots in inventory.

Quote:
The reflector only helps UHF, not VHF.
Correct. It has a negligible effect on VHF.
Quote:
The C2MAX is easier to assemble.
Way easier. Pull it out its box, either install it on its indoor stand or attach the mast clamp to the rear, and it's pretty much ready to go. A simpler customer experience was one of the primary drivers of the re-design launched last year.
Quote:
The performance of both should be similar.
Negligible difference in performance for identically equipped variations.
Very helpful, thank you!
Travillion is offline  
post #11850 of 11890 Old 10-09-2018, 09:03 PM
Newbie
 
Travillion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any suggestions on mounting hardware? I went back to the house (I am closing in 1.5 weeks) and looked at my roofline again. I think it will be harder than originally anticipated to clear the rooftop because the fascia I would mount to is lower than the front gable. As a reminder, the home is an approximately 60' long rectangle. The house face is probably about 20 degrees off the broadcast towers. I could mount the antenna on the front right corner which has best line of sight and minimizes the gable interference, but worst aesthetic and means I am hiding coax and ground cables for a long distance along the roof to get to the opposite back; or I mount the antenna in the back left next to the electric panel and have short and easy cable runs, but the antenna then needs to be high enough to clear that front gable and pick up a signal.

I am attaching two pictures to illustrate my roof. I do not want to mount on the roof as I'm not comfortable drilling holes into that thing. I was thinking I could mount it on the fascia, but I would need to get the mast high enough to clear the rooftop, I'm thinking probably 5-6'. I'm not sure that would be stable with a J-mount, and I don't know how I could add supports since the fascia is flat (the only gable is on the front, and I don't want to plant my antenna there).

Any recommendations on a solid fascia mount that would support a 5-6' mast, or ways I could stabilize a mount?

I am planning on using either an Antennas Direct C2* or Channel Master 2016 (links in previous post).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180610_183505.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	2466482   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180915_174107.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	416.1 KB
ID:	2466484  
Travillion is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off