Phoenix, AZ - HDTV - Page 398 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 316Likes

post #11911 of 11932 Old 12-14-2019, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by carltonrice View Post
The house is on a slab, so I think all of the wiring runs through the attic. There is an On.Q structured wiring box in the wall of the utility room and it looks as if the cables and other wires come down from the attic into the box. So, when I moved in my first task was to find out which of the coax lines was the Cox service. After some trial and error I found that and was able to put it into the splitter input. There are four splitter outputs. I used the one that runs to the living room, so the Cox Internet router gets it's feed from that living room coax outlet. I would rather put the Cox router in the On.Q structure wiring box, but it is too big to fit inside the wall like that. So, if I could find someone who does the structure wiring thing or an antenna installer, I'm sure they could mount the antenna, run the coax from it in the attic and down to the coax splitter where I could route it to any of the rooms in the house that has coax wire.

So, that's what I'm looking for. Someone who does residential structured wiring or someone who's an antenna installer.
So, I came across an old rabbit ears type of antenna when I was unpacking, put it up on a high shelf, and connected it to the house's coax wiring. And channel 8 has now appeared! In the process, though, I seem to have lost channel 12 which wouldn't be a huge issue except for Sunday night football. I am assuming that channel 12 actually broadcast on analog channel 12.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11912 of 11932 Old 12-14-2019, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
I am assuming that channel 12 actually broadcast on analog channel 12.

You are correct: channels 8, 10 and 12 broadcast on their actual RF channels, although channel 10 has a simulcast on RF channel 26 as well (channel 10.2). Assuming that the rabbit ears are adjustable, you may wish to shorten them little by little and see at what point you start getting channel 12. Setting the dipole length on your rabbit ears to the correct length for channel 10 (about 24") should get you both 8 and 12, as well as 10.
post #11913 of 11932 Old 12-14-2019, 09:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhett View Post
You are correct: channels 8, 10 and 12 broadcast on their actual RF channels, although channel 10 has a simulcast on RF channel 26 as well (channel 10.2). Assuming that the rabbit ears are adjustable, you may wish to shorten them little by little and see at what point you start getting channel 12. Setting the dipole length on your rabbit ears to the correct length for channel 10 (about 24") should get you both 8 and 12, as well as 10.
So based on this, I'm not getting 10 or 12. I wondered why 10 was broadcasting PSIP as 10.2, so it's the simulcast on 26 that's coming in; not 10 itself. And while I've now seen 8, it's far from stable. And 3 and 5 are not as strong with the rabbit ears as there were with the UHF bowtie. I'll continue playing with things over the next few days. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11914 of 11932 Old 12-15-2019, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
So based on this, I'm not getting 10 or 12. I wondered why 10 was broadcasting PSIP as 10.2, so it's the simulcast on 26 that's coming in; not 10 itself. And while I've now seen 8, it's far from stable. And 3 and 5 are not as strong with the rabbit ears as there were with the UHF bowtie. I'll continue playing with things over the next few days. Thanks.
No offense, but I would stop wasting your time with an indoor antenna and get a good UHF/VHF outdoor antenna. If you can’t put it outside put it in the attic space above the garage, if you have that space available. I put one in my parents attic above their garage and it works great. I also have an outdoor antenna at my house and it works great as well.
artisticimaging likes this.
post #11915 of 11932 Old 12-15-2019, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRatPatrol View Post
No offense, but I would stop wasting your time with an indoor antenna and get a good UHF/VHF outdoor antenna. If you can’t put it outside put it in the attic space above the garage, if you have that space available. I put one in my parents attic above their garage and it works great. I also have an outdoor antenna at my house and it works great as well.
No offense taken. It may come to that.
post #11916 of 11932 Old 12-22-2019, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I put an attic antenna in my single story house at Tatum and Bell, and I get all of the Phoenix stations plus most of the Tucson stations. Total of over 70 stations, most I would never watch.
dhett likes this.
post #11917 of 11932 Old 01-01-2020, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsaz View Post
I put an attic antenna in my single story house at Tatum and Bell, and I get all of the Phoenix stations plus most of the Tucson stations. Total of over 70 stations, most I would never watch.
What model of antenna did you use?
post #11918 of 11932 Old 01-01-2020, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 18
It's a GE available in stock for pickup at some Walmarts or online at Amazon.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/GE-Pro-Ou...hoCOFYQAvD_BwE

https://www.amazon.com/GE-Directiona.../dp/B00DNJZ58M
post #11919 of 11932 Old 01-04-2020, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Between Phoenix and Tucson

Hi all, I searched this tread, and didn't find anything on this topic. Forgive me for asking dumb questions, as I am very new to this technology. I hope I'm posting this in the right place.

My house is in San Tan Valley, Az located in a straight line between the Phoenix towers (NNW) and the Tucson towers (SSE). According to TVFool.com, the Phoenix towers are 33.5 miles away, and the Tucson towers are 68.8. Logically, I would assume better reception from the Phoenix towers.

I installed a Mohu Sky 60 multi-directional, amplified antenna on the side of my house, 11 feet high, with the "sweet spot" aimed at the Phoenix towers with no obstruction.

For some reason, I'm getting better reception from the Tucson stations than I am from the Phoenix stations. I can't get the ABC affiliate in Phoenix at all (Channel 15), but get the Tucson ABC station perfectly. I can get a highly pixelated and scrambled picture of CBS affiliate in Phoenix but no CBS affiliate in Tucson whatsoever. The Phoenix Fox affiliate (Channel 10) comes in perfectly, as does the Fox affiliate in Tucson.

None of this makes any sense to me. Why would I get better reception from towers 68 miles away than from those 33 miles away? I consider myself a resident of the Phoenix area, and would prefer to get those stations.

I've tweaked the antenna a little bit, but I'm really not sure what else I can do. I'm hoping someone here with more experience can give me some pointers.

Thanks

Pam
post #11920 of 11932 Old 01-07-2020, 08:24 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamPurrs View Post
Hi all, I searched this tread, and didn't find anything on this topic. Forgive me for asking dumb questions, as I am very new to this technology. I hope I'm posting this in the right place.

My house is in San Tan Valley, Az located in a straight line between the Phoenix towers (NNW) and the Tucson towers (SSE). According to TVFool.com, the Phoenix towers are 33.5 miles away, and the Tucson towers are 68.8. Logically, I would assume better reception from the Phoenix towers.

I installed a Mohu Sky 60 multi-directional, amplified antenna on the side of my house, 11 feet high, with the "sweet spot" aimed at the Phoenix towers with no obstruction.

For some reason, I'm getting better reception from the Tucson stations than I am from the Phoenix stations. I can't get the ABC affiliate in Phoenix at all (Channel 15), but get the Tucson ABC station perfectly. I can get a highly pixelated and scrambled picture of CBS affiliate in Phoenix but no CBS affiliate in Tucson whatsoever. The Phoenix Fox affiliate (Channel 10) comes in perfectly, as does the Fox affiliate in Tucson.

None of this makes any sense to me. Why would I get better reception from towers 68 miles away than from those 33 miles away? I consider myself a resident of the Phoenix area, and would prefer to get those stations.

I've tweaked the antenna a little bit, but I'm really not sure what else I can do. I'm hoping someone here with more experience can give me some pointers.

Thanks

Pam
Hi Pam I have been waiting for someone smarter than me to answer your post but since that does not seem to be happening I will give you my two cents.

I think your issue is the antenna and the height. I think it should be one with arms out about 4ft. and at a height of about 30ft. I live in Mesa and that is the way I have mine. Now let see if anyone else will help.
post #11921 of 11932 Old 01-13-2020, 06:11 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamPurrs View Post

Thanks

Pam
The issue could also be physical barriers like mountains. They block signals.

Good luck!
post #11922 of 11932 Old 02-12-2020, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Red face

Quote:
Finally decided to just hire a professional to move the antenna from the attic to the front eave of the house and everything's coming in at 100% now with no errors. In fact, I'm even picking up a couple of stations from Tucson now as well.

I used T.J. of Free HDTV AZ to do the install. He was very professional and knew exactly what needed to happen to get the channels. And his install rate was very reasonable. I highly recommend him to anyone in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area for antenna installation.

https://freehdtvaz.com/index.html
rdvegas, artisticimaging and dhett like this.
post #11923 of 11932 Old 04-10-2020, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm not surprised but the March 27th rescan day for Channel 61 came and went and they are still transmitting on channel 27.
post #11924 of 11932 Old 04-11-2020, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb7oeb View Post
I'm not surprised but the March 27th rescan day for Channel 61 came and went and they are still transmitting on channel 27.
I saw their announcement of doing the rescan. What channel are they supposed to be moving to?

Also, has anyone else noticed that CW61 has a pretty noticeable audio/video sync issue going on? This is at least true of their network programming. Whenever I'm watching one of the CW shows, the audio is noticeably a few milliseconds before the video. Very annoying that they don't fix this.
post #11925 of 11932 Old 04-11-2020, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
I saw their announcement of doing the rescan. What channel are they supposed to be moving to?

Also, has anyone else noticed that CW61 has a pretty noticeable audio/video sync issue going on? This is at least true of their network programming. Whenever I'm watching one of the CW shows, the audio is noticeably a few milliseconds before the video. Very annoying that they don't fix this.
They were (will) move to 15RF but keep the 61.1 PSIP as part of bringing up 27RF as ATSC 3.0. I'll tell the engineers about the lip sync but with the mandated work from home, I don't know how much they can do.

We are experiencing some Technical Difficulties.
Please standby while we reboot our TV station...
post #11926 of 11932 Old 04-11-2020, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobchase View Post
They were (will) move to 15RF but keep the 61.1 PSIP as part of bringing up 27RF as ATSC 3.0. I'll tell the engineers about the lip sync but with the mandated work from home, I don't know how much they can do.
Would seem that there'd be at least one engineer onsite there. I think that their master control is run out of KNVX ABC15. Maybe they can adjust the audio delay there.
post #11927 of 11932 Old 04-11-2020, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Would seem that there'd be at least one engineer onsite there. I think that their master control is run out of KNVX ABC15. Maybe they can adjust the audio delay there.
MC Ops don't have that ability. I emailed the maintenance engineer that is responsible.

We are experiencing some Technical Difficulties.
Please standby while we reboot our TV station...
post #11928 of 11932 Old 04-19-2020, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Three HDTV Questions

Hi - I need to cut the TV cable with my provider (Cox) in Phoenix, AZ.

I recently purchased an amplified pingbingding WA-2900-3D (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DGYGGSF), which appears to work fine inside when I had it installed temporarily near my TV.

Unfortunately, I have a couple of installation roadblocks for the permanent installation:
  • If I mount the antenna outside, and reuse the existing cable running through my house, I will have a very, very long cable length from the media panel / amplifier power to the antenna (about 200 ft), and then about 100 ft max. from the media panel to my home devices.
  • The far easier, cleaner, and preferred installation would be to mount the antenna in my attic. The cable runs would be shorter by about 150 feet, and I won't need to drill into the side of my stucco house to find studs to mount the antenna. The problem is, I have solar panels on my rooftop. The panels will be about 20 - 30 ft in front of the attic antenna. The solar installation is DC panels,with two huge-azz inverters on the side of my house.

So, here are my three questions:
  1. Will the outside installation cable lengths be a problem for significant signal loss/degradation?
  2. Will the rooftop solar panels prevent an attic installation from working?
  3. I know that Phoenix is one of the primary 4K OTA HDTV test cities. The 4K OTA broadcasts are supposed to penetrate buildings better, so I would like to try that for my attic installation. Is there a 4K OTA decoder that I can purchase to try the attic installation?

Thanks, guys!

AzJazz
post #11929 of 11932 Old 04-19-2020, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2780 Post(s)
Liked: 2795
1. yes
2. most likely
3. doubtful

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
post #11930 of 11932 Old 04-24-2020, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzJazz View Post
  1. I know that Phoenix is one of the primary 4K OTA HDTV test cities. The 4K OTA broadcasts are supposed to penetrate buildings better, so I would like to try that for my attic installation. Is there a 4K OTA decoder that I can purchase to try the attic installation?

Just announced this week....

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...30/description

Jim - Springfield, Missouri

Antennas - Antennacraft MXU59 UHF antenna & home-brew version of Antennacraft VHF Y-10-7-13 antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Channel Master 7777 30dB pre-amp.
Tuners - Zenith DTT901 converter box; AirSpy HF+ sdr; Silicon Dust HDHomerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.
post #11931 of 11932 Old 05-02-2020, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobchase View Post
MC Ops don't have that ability. I emailed the maintenance engineer that is responsible.
So, I see that the audio is still out-of-sync with the video on CW61.
post #11932 of 11932 Old 05-22-2020, 11:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrradiohead55 View Post
Just announced this week....

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...30/description

Jim - Springfield, Missouri
Purchased - Just a few seconds after I got the email from SD!

BTW, I spent that weekend installing the HDTV antenna in my attic during a couple of 103 DegF days (it got toasty in the attic!)

The installation is working OK for the most part - I get almost all the channels, though I don't get PBS. I get a few channels @ 100% Signal Strength / 100% Signal Quality / 100% Symbol Quality. I also get some in the yellow zone.

It's an antenna alignment thing - if I rotate the antenna just a degree or two, I can get PBS but then lose a different channel set. Not sure if there is any solution available for that, short of moving to another house - or maybe mounting the antenna outside and higher somehow.

AzJazz
rdvegas likes this.

Last edited by AzJazz; 05-22-2020 at 11:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page