16Likes

post #6301 of 6311 Old 12-15-2018, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Violence View Post
99% of the time, 2.1 is perfect ... mainly noticeable on full screen graphics seen usually on sports games when transitioning between one camera view and another, like after they show an instant replay. It just started recently, I would have definitely noticed it before.

Here is your 39.2 screenshot ... It is taken directly from the HD Homerun viewer with a really strong signal:
Thank you Bob! It looks like you have the same thing with your HD Homerun that I have with my Tivo. I am receiving a strong antenna signal too. In addition to those steady white lines at the top there is some additional constant flickering, which to me really makes the whole picture unwatchable. I wonder if it looks this way to local cable subscribers as well?

This is a fairly popular channel with its classic sitcom lineup, if this is happening for the whole Houston area then it's surprising not enough people have noticed or complained to try to have it fixed. I wasn't sure if I didn't have something set up right, or if the problem was caused by the Tivo, but it seems it's a problem with the local broadcaster? Considering just about every other station is coming through fine! (Except Light TV on 26.2 which looks similar but not nearly as bad.)

Bob I think what I've mostly seen is pixelation in general on a lot of stations but not too much recent macroblocking that I can remember. As I said I don't watch 2.1 as much but I'll be on lookout.

Last edited by too2muchtv; 12-15-2018 at 01:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6302 of 6311 Old 12-19-2018, 06:08 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by too2muchtv View Post
Thank you Bob! It looks like you have the same thing with your HD Homerun that I have with my Tivo. I am receiving a strong antenna signal too. In addition to those steady white lines at the top there is some additional constant flickering, which to me really makes the whole picture unwatchable. I wonder if it looks this way to local cable subscribers as well?

This is a fairly popular channel with its classic sitcom lineup, if this is happening for the whole Houston area then it's surprising not enough people have noticed or complained to try to have it fixed. I wasn't sure if I didn't have something set up right, or if the problem was caused by the Tivo, but it seems it's a problem with the local broadcaster? Considering just about every other station is coming through fine! (Except Light TV on 26.2 which looks similar but not nearly as bad.)

Bob I think what I've mostly seen is pixelation in general on a lot of stations but not too much recent macroblocking that I can remember. As I said I don't watch 2.1 as much but I'll be on lookout.
This is what I am seeing on 39.2. I am about 5-6 miles N/NW of the transmitter farm with an attic antenna.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	39.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	2498832   Click image for larger version

Name:	39-2.png
Views:	31
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	2498834  
post #6303 of 6311 Old 01-04-2019, 05:48 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Figured it out ...

I'm posting my results here just in case someone in the future runs into the same exact problem.

The macroblocking I was seeing on KPRC 2.1 OTA only occurred when it was being played back on an nVidia GPU. When I viewed the exact same recording, from the same .WTV file, on an AMD GPU, the macroblocking was gone.

I reverted to old drivers, tried other nVidia cards, fresh copy of Windows 7 (as I use Media Center), etc, etc ... always the same results with OTA 2.1. This only started happening a couple of months ago, so I suspect KPRC changed something with their broadcast codec or compression algorithm that nVidia just doesn't like when it is stored in a .WTV file format.

So, I ditched the GTX 1060 in favor of an RX 570, and the problem is GONZO, hopefully for good.
astrohip likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6304 of 6311 Old 01-06-2019, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Violence View Post
I'm posting my results here just in case someone in the future runs into the same exact problem.

The macroblocking I was seeing on KPRC 2.1 OTA only occurred when it was being played back on an nVidia GPU. When I viewed the exact same recording, from the same .WTV file, on an AMD GPU, the macroblocking was gone.

I reverted to old drivers, tried other nVidia cards, fresh copy of Windows 7 (as I use Media Center), etc, etc ... always the same results with OTA 2.1. This only started happening a couple of months ago, so I suspect KPRC changed something with their broadcast codec or compression algorithm that nVidia just doesn't like when it is stored in a .WTV file format.

So, I ditched the GTX 1060 in favor of an RX 570, and the problem is GONZO, hopefully for good.
The only thing that has changed recently is the addition of 2.4 (Start TV) as far as I am aware. I know someone over there and can probably find out more.
post #6305 of 6311 Old 03-18-2019, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Whats' on 21.11

Anyone know what is on 21.11 for OTA receivers in Houston?
Anything? Nothing?

Or does anyone know if anything has been on there since January?
post #6306 of 6311 Old 03-21-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Metcalfe View Post
Anyone know what is on 21.11 for OTA receivers in Houston?
Anything? Nothing?

Or does anyone know if anything has been on there since January?
Appears to be some sort of Spanish station on 21.11.
post #6307 of 6311 Old 04-13-2019, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Anybody not picking up 39.1 tonight?

Robert Christian Barger
post #6308 of 6311 Old 04-14-2019, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Just saw the note about the rescan.

Robert Christian Barger
post #6309 of 6311 Old 04-15-2019, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I just did the rescan on my Roamio and it didn't find the new RF channel. Anyone know what it is? I'm trying to get Rovi to correct the update on their lineup for the Houston OTA guide. I have Googled and not found what channel they moved to. Only the instructions to rescan. Well, the rescan didn't work on the Tivo. I scanned one of myTVs and it picked up the change. Apparently Tivo requires Rovi to handle that change.

Thanks
post #6310 of 6311 Old 04-15-2019, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
OK, I checked Rabbit Ears and it looks like they went from being on RF Channel 38 to channel 34.

Mike
post #6311 of 6311 Old 04-18-2019, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1002 View Post
OK, I checked Rabbit Ears and it looks like they went from being on RF Channel 38 to channel 34.

Mike
They are on RF 34 now, just below KPRC on 35.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page