Norfolk, VA - OTA - Page 183 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #5461 of 6821 Old 10-29-2007, 04:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
HILLTOP SAILOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 1,309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd View Post

So what was the deal with the World Series last night? The picture quality was awful. The graininess was ridiculous. AFAIK, this was a FOX problem, not a local issue. The Redskins game looked real good (picture quality-wise that is... ). Les, any thoughts on what was going on? I know the other WS games looked bad too, but I thought last night was the worst.

I cannot agree that the PQ was "awful". Looked OK to me and I'm a grouch.
HILLTOP SAILOR is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5462 of 6821 Old 10-29-2007, 04:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Todd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Chesapeake, Virginia
Posts: 2,191
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HILLTOP SAILOR View Post

I cannot agree that the PQ was "awful". Looked OK to me and I'm a grouch.

It looked bad at my house and a friend of mine who has a 60" Sony SXRD set thought it looked terrible too. Not sure if he was watching OTA or through COX (he has a CableCard). I also setup a high-end 32" Samusung LCD set over the weekend at my girlfriend's parent's house where they were getting it over COX and it was horrid looking. From a distance you may not have noticed that much, but up close, it was really bad.
Todd is offline  
post #5463 of 6821 Old 10-29-2007, 05:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
HILLTOP SAILOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 1,309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd View Post

It looked bad at my house and a friend of mine who has a 60" Sony SXRD set thought it looked terrible too. Not sure if he was watching OTA or through COX (he has a CableCard). I also setup a high-end 32" Samusung LCD set over the weekend at my girlfriend's parent's house where they were getting it over COX and it was horrid looking. From a distance you may not have noticed that much, but up close, it was really bad.

I was using a year old 50 inch Pioneer plasma via FiOS.
HILLTOP SAILOR is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5464 of 6821 Old 10-29-2007, 06:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dtv757's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: 757
Posts: 1,880
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by HILLTOP SAILOR View Post

I was using a year old 50 inch Pioneer plasma via FiOS.

so from what HILLTOP is saying ... is the picture better via FIBER than cable??
i was watching OTA and thought it looked ok but cable ppl say it was bad.

hmmmm...?

MY COMMENTS ARE MY OWN PERSONAL OPINIONS AND IN NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM REPRESENT
Bell Atlantic or its Subsidiaries
dtv757 is online now  
post #5465 of 6821 Old 10-29-2007, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Todd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Chesapeake, Virginia
Posts: 2,191
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtv757 View Post

so from what HILLTOP is saying ... is the picture better via FIBER than cable??

Definitely. But it couldn't be any better than OTA and OTA was not good.
Todd is offline  
post #5466 of 6821 Old 10-30-2007, 05:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
vurbano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Newport News, VA
Posts: 7,655
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The graininess that I saw on The WS was usually when the camera was looking at home plate and the area behind the batter at the stands had the pixels swimming, but the players looked pretty good. Also some of the shots of the outfield wall would do it too. But IMO the field looked great and the players.
vurbano is offline  
post #5467 of 6821 Old 10-30-2007, 05:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
VARTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: VA Beach, VA
Posts: 5,150
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by vurbano View Post

The graininess that I saw on The WS was usually when the camera was looking at home plate and the area behind the batter at the stands had the pixels swimming, but the players looked pretty good. Also some of the shots of the outfield wall would do it too. But IMO the field looked great and the players.

I heard that those cams were the super slo-mo ones...

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information


email: [email protected]
facebook: facebook.com/VARTV

twitter: twitter.com/VARTV

linkedin: linkedin.com/in/VARTV

google+: plus.google.com

pinterest: pinterest.com/VARTV

VARTV is offline  
post #5468 of 6821 Old 10-30-2007, 06:22 AM
Senior Member
 
soundguy315's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 238
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The cameras looked grainier than they should. It appeared as if they were using the +9db gin setting, and compressing the blacks. (The shots that showed crowd seats were way down in the mud.) That is a camera setup that is commonly used to try and make the image appear sharper, although not all engineers approve of it.
If they were Slo-Mo cams, they have to increase the gain to compensate for the shutter.
And they were using the Thomson-Grass cameras again, which make a great picture in bright light, but not so good in average light.
soundguy315 is offline  
post #5469 of 6821 Old 10-30-2007, 06:36 AM
Advanced Member
 
barrysb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Williamsburg, VA
Posts: 777
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundguy315 View Post

The cameras looked grainier than they should. It appeared as if they were using the +9db gin setting, and compressing the blacks. (The shots that showed crowd seats were way down in the mud.) That is a camera setup that is commonly used to try and make the image appear sharper, although not all engineers approve of it.
If they were Slo-Mo cams, they have to increase the gain to compensate for the shutter.
And they were using the Thomson-Grass cameras again, which make a great picture in bright light, but not so good in average light.

I can tell you are or have been in the business. Thanks for your knowledgeable input.
barrysb is offline  
post #5470 of 6821 Old 11-04-2007, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
obxdiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: SouthEastCoast, VA
Posts: 1,471
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 49
what a wonderful afternoon it will be watching the NFL games on the local OTA channels with all of the political commercials running every time they take a commercial break.
obxdiver is offline  
post #5471 of 6821 Old 11-04-2007, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Todd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Chesapeake, Virginia
Posts: 2,191
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by obxdiver View Post

what a wonderful afternoon it will be watching the NFL games on the local OTA channels with all of the political commercials running every time they take a commercial break.

There are ways to FF past those commercials...
Todd is offline  
post #5472 of 6821 Old 11-04-2007, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
thejokell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 2,919
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd View Post

There are ways to FF past those commercials...

Not when you're watching live sporting events.

Steam/XBL/PSN: thejokell
thejokell is offline  
post #5473 of 6821 Old 11-04-2007, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dtv757's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: 757
Posts: 1,880
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 302
i guess im thankful that thers no commercials on the redzone ch... but i gotta watch the "afc championship game" OTA so i will see what ur talking about later... wow vikings just scored again!

MY COMMENTS ARE MY OWN PERSONAL OPINIONS AND IN NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM REPRESENT
Bell Atlantic or its Subsidiaries
dtv757 is online now  
post #5474 of 6821 Old 11-04-2007, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Todd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Chesapeake, Virginia
Posts: 2,191
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejokell View Post

Not when you're watching live sporting events.

That's why you record it and start a little late.
Todd is offline  
post #5475 of 6821 Old 11-04-2007, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
thejokell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 2,919
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd View Post

That's why you record it and start a little late.

I can do that with everything except for sports. I have to watch sports live - hate recording any of them.

Steam/XBL/PSN: thejokell
thejokell is offline  
post #5476 of 6821 Old 11-06-2007, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
VARTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: VA Beach, VA
Posts: 5,150
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 107
How are the local stations going to handle election results in primetime?

Stay in SD mode?
Use an HD crawl??
Don't do anything???

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information


email: [email protected]
facebook: facebook.com/VARTV

twitter: twitter.com/VARTV

linkedin: linkedin.com/in/VARTV

google+: plus.google.com

pinterest: pinterest.com/VARTV

VARTV is offline  
post #5477 of 6821 Old 11-06-2007, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
thejokell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 2,919
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by VARTV View Post

How are the local stations going to handle election results in primetime?

Stay in SD mode?
Use an HD crawl??
Don't do anything???

Oh dear lord. I hope it's a crawl during commercials only...

Steam/XBL/PSN: thejokell
thejokell is offline  
post #5478 of 6821 Old 11-06-2007, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
HILLTOP SAILOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 1,309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejokell View Post

Oh dear lord. I hope it's a crawl during commercials only...

My guess is SD crawl all night.
HILLTOP SAILOR is offline  
post #5479 of 6821 Old 11-06-2007, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
VARTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: VA Beach, VA
Posts: 5,150
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by HILLTOP SAILOR View Post

My guess is SD crawl all night.

I don't have much faith for FOX tonight... Maybe DWTS will stay HD for that hour... Curious to see what happens on 13 tonight at 7 when WOF and J! run in HD...

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information


email: [email protected]
facebook: facebook.com/VARTV

twitter: twitter.com/VARTV

linkedin: linkedin.com/in/VARTV

google+: plus.google.com

pinterest: pinterest.com/VARTV

VARTV is offline  
post #5480 of 6821 Old 11-06-2007, 05:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kes601's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Virginia Beach -- Lynnhaven
Posts: 1,619
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 12
First screw-up of the night goes to WTKR, switched to SD feed to show 30 seconds of election updates, now HD picture is no more, sound popping in and out too.....
kes601 is offline  
post #5481 of 6821 Old 11-06-2007, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
thejokell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 2,919
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
They better not pull that crap during the Unit.

Steam/XBL/PSN: thejokell
thejokell is offline  
post #5482 of 6821 Old 11-06-2007, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
HILLTOP SAILOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 1,309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejokell View Post

They better not pull that crap during the Unit.

Oh, the fun is just beginning!
HILLTOP SAILOR is offline  
post #5483 of 6821 Old 11-06-2007, 06:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
thejokell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 2,919
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
And they just went to SD. God damnit.

Edit - Welp, that lasted 30 seconds. Not too bad.

Steam/XBL/PSN: thejokell
thejokell is offline  
post #5484 of 6821 Old 11-06-2007, 06:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
hjriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mathews County, VA
Posts: 1,565
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Heaven forbid don't ever let anything that is important to our well being as a country get in the way of a fictional tv show. Jesus Christ I can't believe it. What the hell is more important? TV shows or our political future?

Harold Jackson
hjriver is offline  
post #5485 of 6821 Old 11-06-2007, 06:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
thejokell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 2,919
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjriver View Post

Heaven forbid don't ever let anything that is important to our well being as a country get in the way of a fictional tv show. Jesus Christ I can't believe it. What the hell is more important? TV shows or our political future?

I was unaware that our political future changed between 9:30 pm and the airing of the nightly news. It's too bad that you can't spout off about how sports are the downfall of our country this time, though.

Steam/XBL/PSN: thejokell
thejokell is offline  
post #5486 of 6821 Old 11-06-2007, 09:36 PM
Newbie
 
rkrause957's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It was a fine mess tonight. Lost the audio during the first part of Law and Order SVU. The sound drop outs contiue on WTKR. Then the sound went during the last 10 minutes of Boston Legal. So tonight was the pits for HD TV viewing on WTKR, WVEC, and WAVY.

Bob K
rkrause957 is offline  
post #5487 of 6821 Old 11-07-2007, 08:56 AM
Senior Member
 
soundguy315's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 238
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkrause957 View Post

It was a fine mess tonight. Lost the audio during the first part of Law and Order SVU. The sound drop outs contiue on WTKR. Then the sound went during the last 10 minutes of Boston Legal. So tonight was the pits for HD TV viewing on WTKR, WVEC, and WAVY.

Bob K

How do you receive the locals? ( Cox, OTA, DirecTV, etc )
I know that WTKR had issues, but I did not catch any on WVEC. I was watching through a Cox HD DVR, and it did not like the WTKR switching, I would have to change the channel to clear the buffer to get audio restored.
soundguy315 is offline  
post #5488 of 6821 Old 11-07-2007, 09:04 PM
Newbie
 
rkrause957's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an OTA on my roof. On Wvec it was just the last ten minutes of Boston Legal. I was watching it on my Direct TV HR-10 TIVO. The CMA awards look really good on WVEC tonigh.

Bob K
rkrause957 is offline  
post #5489 of 6821 Old 11-08-2007, 06:32 AM
Senior Member
 
soundguy315's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 238
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkrause957 View Post

I have an OTA on my roof. On Wvec it was just the last ten minutes of Boston Legal. I was watching it on my Direct TV HR-10 TIVO. The CMA awards look really good on WVEC tonigh.

Bob K

I watched the CMA's live, and DVR'd them. Checked the recording this morning, audio was okay.
What happened on Boston Legal right before the audio messed up? Local cut in?
soundguy315 is offline  
post #5490 of 6821 Old 11-08-2007, 08:30 AM
Senior Member
 
George Randell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Norfolk VA
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any Verizon FiOS in Hampton Roads viewers here?

I need to know if any of you can see WGNT-DT, CW-27 HD on the Verizon FiOS system. Please let me know either way, what channel we are on, and if it looks and sounds OK. If so, you will be able to see Smallville and Supernatural in HD tonight.

Verizon is telling us they went live with our HD signal yesterday and I need to verify this. We don't have a Verizon drop here in Portsmouth, so I don't have any way to see it here.

Thanks,
George Randell
Chief Engineer
WGNT/WGNT-DT CW-27
George Randell is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off