Columbia, MO - HDTV - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 1186 Old 12-13-2004, 06:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I e-mailed kmiz and this is the response I got

Our HD signal will return after the completion of our new analog transmitter. This should take place in Feb.

DeWayne

I don't know how this affects the signal mediacom uses. It is supposed to be hd on channel 710, but its not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1186 Old 12-14-2004, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am new to avs and do not yet have a HDTV. But I was not aware that Mediacom carried any of the HD networks, ABC,NBC,CBS,&FOX. What is available on Medicom in HD?
post #33 of 1186 Old 12-20-2004, 07:48 AM

I currently get the Mediacom HD package and currently there are no HD networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, WB,...). The only one you get digital is ABC on channel 710. I think another post said ABC was fixing/upgrading their tower so we should have HD (when available) from ABC in a month or so. I think I am going to wait and until later in 2005 and switch to Directv when they launch their 2 new satellites. Supposidly this will give most Americans their local channels and the major networks in HD (when available). These satellites will also bring broadband internet access as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 1186 Old 12-22-2004, 03:32 PM

Just to update on my endeavor to get an OTA antenna, I had posted a month ago on trying to receive signals with a Radio Shack antenna with no luck. Thanks to Alsat, I now have a Channel Master 4228 UHF antenna equipted with a Winegard 8275 preamp installed on a 20 foot mast. The antenna is pointed toward the Columbia stations and the signal strengths are as follows:

KMOS-DT- 75-80
KOMU-DT- 85-90
KRCG-DT- 85-90
KMIZ-DT- 80-85

Overall, I'm very pleased and would highly recommend this antenna to get a digital signal. In the near future, we might try and see if St. Louis stations are possible with my set-up but I'm happy with what I got. Thanks Alsat. Need any referrals? Send them my way.
post #35 of 1186 Old 12-22-2004, 09:18 PM

Pbs is also on mediacom hd. channel 706
post #36 of 1186 Old 12-22-2004, 10:14 PM

Glad to be of help Martin! I appreciate the kind words. We shall see in a few weeks if St. Louis locals are possible with your setup. I am satisfied with the results we achieved with Columbia/Jefferson City.

Happy Holidays everyone!

Alan
post #37 of 1186 Old 01-01-2005, 01:03 PM

I have Mediacom with the High Definition package in Jefferson City, but I do not get ABC on 710 or PBS on 706. Are they in Columbia only? Does anyone know why?
post #38 of 1186 Old 01-06-2005, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I'm located in Jefferson City and am using a myHD MDP-100 along with the Antennadirect DB-4. I can get all the local stations for the mostpart, with the exception of KMOS and oddly enough KRCG. I say oddly enough, as I can almost see the broadcasting tower from my back yard (I have a clear view of the Capital as it is). Granted, I don't have the antenna on a very tall mast, so I can see why I'm not pulling in KMOS.

When I first put up the DB-4 a couple of months ago, I was able to pull in KRCG pretty well, even though it's a VHF channel. Now, with all the leaves gone and an even better view of the tower, I am getting nothing. Has anyone else noticed a drop in signal strength or do I need to brave the weather and reposition my antenna?

"Can I refill your eggnog, Eddie? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?"

Greg Jones
My Former Theater...The Escape
My DVD Collection
post #39 of 1186 Old 01-10-2005, 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by bugman72
When I first put up the DB-4 a couple of months ago, I was able to pull in KRCG pretty well, even though it's a VHF channel. Now, with all the leaves gone and an even better view of the tower, I am getting nothing. Has anyone else noticed a drop in signal strength or do I need to brave the weather and reposition my antenna?

I've noticed that if I have a great deal of reflected signal (my problem channel is KOMU) that I cannot pull in the HD signal. If I lower the gain on my signal amp or turn off the amp altogether KOMU HD will start to come in. I'm guessing that when the analog carrier signal gets reflected the reciever cannot distiguish between the multiple streams of digital data. Just thought I'd give you a suggestion of something to try.
post #40 of 1186 Old 01-10-2005, 04:36 PM

I emailed the station last week about the Super Bowl broadcast and received a response in under 3 hours. Hopefully they will get it together and we will have an HD Super Bowl!

Here is the email I received back. I've removed the email address and phone number, but both can be found on the KMIZ website.
Quote:

Hi Scott,

We are trying to get everything set so we can broadcast the Super Bowl in HD. I cannot tell you for sure that we will be able to accomplish this task, but work on KQFX HD possibility begins Wednesday.

Please feel free to email me at [email protected] or call me at xxx-xxx-xxxx and I will answer any other questions you may have. By all means, contact me closer to the Super Bowl so I can give you an HD update.

Thanks again for you email.

post #41 of 1186 Old 01-10-2005, 05:56 PM

That would be great! As a matter of fact, when I was watching the playoffs this past weekend, I told myself I should email them and see if it would be broadcast in HD. It would be a real shame for them not too, being the premier TV program of the year.
post #42 of 1186 Old 01-10-2005, 08:09 PM

I'll post any info I get. Hopefully it will be good news!
post #43 of 1186 Old 01-27-2005, 03:04 PM

I just spoke to one of the engineers at JW broadcasting and he said that they will definitely not be able to use the new transmitter to broadcast the super bowl on FOX. He said that they do not have the authority to broadcast a HD FOX show on their ABC transmitter. The game will still be in SD on 17-2 though. He didn't say anything about a FOX hi-def transmitter in the works.
post #44 of 1186 Old 01-27-2005, 04:49 PM

Confirmed:
Quote:

Hi Scott,

Unfortunately, we will not be able to broadcast the game in HD...try as hard as we did. I know this may be disappointing to some viewers with HD capability, but we just don't have the resources to transmit an HD broadcast. I do hope you are able to watch the Super Bowl and enjoy every bit of it's coverage.

Thanks for you email and your interest in KQFX.

Eric

post #45 of 1186 Old 01-28-2005, 10:19 AM

Has anybody been having problems with 13-1 lately? Mostly last night? For me it kept blanking out every so often, signal strength was pretty strong at around 87 - 91 on my meter and the weaker channels like PBS did fine. This morning it seemed fine, but I didn't really watch much more than some news.

I live in Moberly by the way.
post #46 of 1186 Old 01-28-2005, 11:48 AM

Yes, I just got a hd receiver last night hooked it up and all my local channels came in fine except 13.1. It kept blanking out and dropping the audio. I was getting a good signal to boot. Wife was very annoyed as was I.
Does anyone get program guide information from any other channels besides krcg, komu. I'm not getting anything from kmiz (17.1, 17.2, 17.3, 17.4) or kmos and just thought I would make sure.
post #47 of 1186 Old 01-28-2005, 12:34 PM

For what it's worth, I don't get the guides from them either, nor does anybody I know in the area.

If you want to know what's on check out http://www.titantv.com/ and get the listings of what's on from them.
post #48 of 1186 Old 02-02-2005, 10:56 AM

Does anyone else think that the UPN station's audio 17.3 is excessively loud, compared to the rest of the 17.* channels. I also have notice KRCG's audio become very faint at times, some commercials and their 10:00 news.
post #49 of 1186 Old 02-02-2005, 01:08 PM

I have to change settings on my stereo receiver to even hear the audio on 17.3. For some reason, my stereo receiver doesn't auto detect that sub-channel correctly.
post #50 of 1186 Old 02-02-2005, 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by woody88
Does anyone else think that the UPN station's audio 17.3 is excessively loud, compared to the rest of the 17.* channels. I also have notice KRCG's audio become very faint at times, some commercials and their 10:00 news.

Yes, I noticed the 17.x channels have audio issues. Most of the time 17.3 sounds somewhat overdriven, and once in a while I see that on the other 17.x channels. I talked with the Chief Engineer yesterday and asked about the problem and he said he wouldn't be surprised by it happening because he was trying to setup the various channels. He said that when he changes one, then the other goes south and so on. He didn't sound happy about it. He did say he hoped to have the problems all resolved within a few weeks. By the way, I've seen this problem with the TV's that have an ATSC tuner built in so it's not just you and me.

To be honest, I have seen problems with all of the stations of one sort or another. For example I've seen the 17.x stations block up with a 100% signal, I've seen 8.1 have weak audio, and I've seen 13.1 black out, drop audio out, put lines in it.

I don't think any of our local stations have their act totally together yet, but for the most part they seem to be having fewer and fewer problems.

My one big gripe is they don't transmit audio better than the 2.0 standards, what a waste of my Pioneer VSX-1014TX to play back their audio stream. Someday I hope they get the audio better.
post #51 of 1186 Old 02-20-2005, 05:39 AM

Has anyone heard an update when we will be getting HD from FOX.
post #52 of 1186 Old 02-20-2005, 10:49 AM

For that matter when is 17.1 going to transmit HD? I talked to the engineer last week and he said by the end of the week it would be on, I could be wrong but I don't think it is yet.

To be honest, they have problems there and they can't solve them. I suspect and the engineer told me as much, until 17.1 is up and running right then the others are on the back burner. 17.1 is not running right all the time and they're still working on it so I don't think you'll see the others progressing for a time. 2 weeks ago I think it was they decided to do work on the DTV side during the Lost program and totally screwed things up. They flipped a switch and stretched things out on everything and didn't even notice it until I called them the next morning and asked them about it, then they admitted to the gaff. That's when they explained they were trying to get up on HD on 17.1 and having problems doing so and expected it to happen within a couple weeks.

I can't wait for all of our local stations to get things debugged because when they have it working it's very nice, but often you'll find they just aren't quite there yet. For example changing audio levels, audio drops, picture quirks of all sorts, strange things. It's good it doesn't happen all the time, but it happens and they all admit to having problems. I think PBS is doing pretty good however, but then all I see there is Clifford.
post #53 of 1186 Old 02-22-2005, 05:43 PM

As I write this, the HD signal is back up for KMIZ. Let's see how long it last.
It's even up on mediacom hd.
post #54 of 1186 Old 02-23-2005, 08:57 AM

I'll take your word for it, yesterday they told me they were not sure when they would have it up and were still transmitting the digital signal with SD only. It sure would be nice to see them get their act together and get it right.

I haven't watched them in a day or 2, tonight I will. Lost is about all I watch from them.
post #55 of 1186 Old 02-23-2005, 09:14 AM

I noticed in yesterday's Missourian. ABC 17 had a large ad on page 3 and in the sports section claiming to have "A STRONGER, CLEARER SIGNAL". I haven't seen it yet but I will also be watching LOST tonight.

I hope that Fox will be getting their act together soon. I really wanted to watch the superbowl in HD.
post #56 of 1186 Old 02-23-2005, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
And the Daytona 500! It was nice last year when it wasn't on Fox.

Has anyone noticed whether KRCG has improved their signal any? I tried them breifly a couple of nights ago and while I could get a lock on the signal, it still went blocky from time to time. Granted I'm using a UHF antenna, but I'm less than 10 miles from the tower (I can see it from my back yard!) And since I was able to get 13-1 when I first put up my antenna (in late summer with leaves on the trees), I still can't quite understand why the signal strength has dropped so much through the winter months. I can only attribute it to the station dropping power.

"Can I refill your eggnog, Eddie? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?"

Greg Jones
My Former Theater...The Escape
My DVD Collection
post #57 of 1186 Old 02-24-2005, 02:55 PM

I noticed ABC was HD last night, about time. Now they're getting closer to being quality, still have some problems they need to fix however. I would point out to people that if they see a problem with it they should call, they told me they do not monitor the digital signal so they are usually unaware of problems unless somebody calls.

As to CBS, well I notice they block up once in a while and get a line that streaks through the screen near the middle once in a while on the SD stuff, never seen it on their HD signal. They're still tweaking things I guess.

The signal strength here in Moberly is pretty good, I think it varies from 87 - 90 % most of the time. I can't speak to better because I use a Quantum 1160A Antenna with it's matching amp on top of a 60 foot tower and always got 13 well, except for the KZZT interference. My antenna is not pointed directly at 13, it's more towards PBS so I can catch Clifford for my daughter. I'm sure I could get a stronger signal if I pointed the antenna that way, but it's well above the fade margin so it's not going to move unless I figure out where that WB station come from. I forgot the channel number now but it was in the 50's.

What I wonder is when our local stations are going to become as reliable on the digital side as they are on the analog side, save 17's recent problems when their transmitter suffered a stroke... It seems as if they're still learning how to setup the station based on what they've told me.
post #58 of 1186 Old 03-10-2005, 09:30 AM

What's up with ABC? Last night LOST & ALIAS were broadcast in 4:3 on 17.1 with the side bars. I was expecting their nice new HD in 16:9.
post #59 of 1186 Old 03-10-2005, 09:43 AM

Seems to be hit and miss. 2 weeks ago it was in HD until about the last 10 minutes of the show. Still working out the kinks I guess.
post #60 of 1186 Old 03-10-2005, 10:56 AM

I suspect the engineer forgot to enable HD again. They do that.

I know a guy that works there as an engineer and he's moving on because of poor pay, he says they don't get real top notch Chief Engineers because they don't pay well enough.

In his words, he's not sure how they will ever stay on the air because of how it's run. Of course that could be sour grapes, I know a former engineer of KRCG who said the same thing about them, back before HD come into the pic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page