Columbia, MO - HDTV - Page 40 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1171 of 1186 Old 11-30-2015, 08:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Unhappy I lost my KOMU!

Hi, folks...

I have an issue.

I live in Fulton and I am using a RCA Compact Outdoor Yagi HDTV Antenna with an amplifier. Using the information on AntennaWeb, I aimed the antenna precisely in the middle of the signal directions. For years now, it's worked flawlessly, getting all the channels in the area just fine, save for the occasional hiccup during storms and sometimes in icy conditions, but that is expected.

Until yesterday. All of a sudden, I have stopped receiving KOMU/CW (8.1/8.3) totally. It says I have no signal. This baffles me, because I called KOMU and they said there is nothing wrong with their broadcast signal, yet while their station is not even coming in, I am able to get the three PBS stations (6.1/6.2/6.3), the three KRCG stations (13.1/13.2/13.3), the four KMIZ stations (17.1/17.2/17.3/17.4), Fox 22 (22.1) and KNLJ (25.1).

KOMU has always been the powerhouse station, the strongest signal out there, yet boom...nothing now. So please help me: Is there any way to get it back? I wouldn't think it's the antenna, because every other station is fine. Do I press KOMU on the issue? I want that station back!

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	antenna1.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	1089082  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1186 Old 11-30-2015, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrogers07 View Post
Hi, folks...

I have an issue.

I live in Fulton and I am using a RCA Compact Outdoor Yagi HDTV Antenna with an amplifier. Using the information on AntennaWeb, I aimed the antenna precisely in the middle of the signal directions. For years now, it's worked flawlessly, getting all the channels in the area just fine, save for the occasional hiccup during storms and sometimes in icy conditions, but that is expected.

Until yesterday. All of a sudden, I have stopped receiving KOMU/CW (8.1/8.3) totally. It says I have no signal. This baffles me, because I called KOMU and they said there is nothing wrong with their broadcast signal, yet while their station is not even coming in, I am able to get the three PBS stations (6.1/6.2/6.3), the three KRCG stations (13.1/13.2/13.3), the four KMIZ stations (17.1/17.2/17.3/17.4), Fox 22 (22.1) and KNLJ (25.1).

KOMU has always been the powerhouse station, the strongest signal out there, yet boom...nothing now. So please help me: Is there any way to get it back? I wouldn't think it's the antenna, because every other station is fine. Do I press KOMU on the issue? I want that station back!

Thank you.
Keep trying with them. I had some trouble with the KOMU signal last night too, during the first half of SNF. Couldn't tell for sure if it was an issue with KOMU or with the actual feed coming from Denver, but the signal periodically broke up then the screen went to black. It is coming in fine today though.

Just to rule anything else out, can you temporarily rotate the antenna to aim straight at KOMU and see if that causes the station to come in? KOMU does actually operate at the smallest power output of any Columbia-Jefferson City station and on the lowest frequency, which do combine to make them the most difficult digital signal to receive at much distance from the station. But since they've been the strongest for you in Fulton, that shouldn't be a factor.

I would also recommend checking all cable connections between the antenna and the TV, including at the antenna, any splice or splitter points, wall, and TV.

Are there any new devices in your home that might be interfering? Due to the low frequencies used, in our home we've found that activities such as turning a vacuum cleaner on or off, running the microwave, or even turning a fluorescent bulb on or off can temporarily interrupt being able to get KOMU and KRCG.
post #1173 of 1186 Old 11-30-2015, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelWNelson View Post
Just to rule anything else out, can you temporarily rotate the antenna to aim straight at KOMU and see if that causes the station to come in? KOMU does actually operate at the smallest power output of any Columbia-Jefferson City station and on the lowest frequency, which do combine to make them the most difficult digital signal to receive at much distance from the station. But since they've been the strongest for you in Fulton, that shouldn't be a factor.
I aimed it as close as I could, and nothing.

Quote:
I would also recommend checking all cable connections between the antenna and the TV, including at the antenna, any splice or splitter points, wall, and TV.
I did, and I got nothing.

Here's the funny part...at one point KOMU did work for a while on both TV's I have. The smaller one worked instantly, but the other TV had to be reset. It only lasted about 15-20 minutes or so, because it has gone black again.

Quote:
Are there any new devices in your home that might be interfering?
No, nothing new.

Now this you will find hard to believe, but I swear on everything good and holy that I am not lying. I affected the signal when I got too close to both TV's. I kid you not. My wife was making fun of me about it, LOL.

Quote:
Keep trying with them.
I guess I am going to have to. This makes zero sense...it has to be on their end. Not a single KOMU signal, but everything else is perfect. I am baffled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1174 of 1186 Old 11-30-2015, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

KOMU has an application with the FCC to turn up their power. If they were already the strongest signal you had, and then they just turned up the power, the signal might actually be too strong and you're getting severe multipath. Do you have an amplifier of any sort? If so, does it work if you turn the amplifier down or off?
post #1175 of 1186 Old 11-30-2015, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 90
KOMU last changed their ERP several years ago. Most likely, today's issue is due to some new electrical interference or signal ingress.

What are you using for an amplifier?

Quote:
I affected the signal when I got too close to both TV's.
That suggests signal ingress to me, perhaps due to a bad F-connector or similar.

Tech support for Antennas Direct
post #1176 of 1186 Old 11-30-2015, 05:12 PM

Well, I checked out everything...ran the antenna without amplifier, with and all measures in between. Nothing worked.

Then all of a sudden, everything was fine and remains so. Oddness for sure. I am glad to get my station back!

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, folks!
post #1177 of 1186 Old 06-14-2016, 03:25 PM

Hi, folks...me again.

I swear I have the worst luck. After my above issues some time back, my television OTA reception was just fine. About a week ago, I lost stations...as in, only KOMU came in, with KRCG, PBS and KMIZ coming in occasionally and even then not totally clear. Now for the last two days I have had nothing. Noting but KOMU and KNLJ. That's it.

I tried waiting it out, but nothing seems to be happening. I checked how my antenna is pointed, and it's still firmly as it was, pointing toward the weaker KMIZ with KRCG and KOMU to each side as they are stronger. I then checked the signal booster, in case it went haywire. Nope, that didn't do it, either. Connections and cables are fine. I even reset my TV and ran an auto scan of channels, just in case. Nada.

I am at my wit's end. I have no idea what's going on. Hopefully it'll magically fix itself again, but man this is frustrating. Any ideas?
post #1178 of 1186 Old 06-14-2016, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrogers07 View Post
Hi, folks...me again.

I swear I have the worst luck. After my above issues some time back, my television OTA reception was just fine. About a week ago, I lost stations...as in, only KOMU came in, with KRCG, PBS and KMIZ coming in occasionally and even then not totally clear. Now for the last two days I have had nothing. Noting but KOMU and KNLJ. That's it.

I tried waiting it out, but nothing seems to be happening. I checked how my antenna is pointed, and it's still firmly as it was, pointing toward the weaker KMIZ with KRCG and KOMU to each side as they are stronger. I then checked the signal booster, in case it went haywire. Nope, that didn't do it, either. Connections and cables are fine. I even reset my TV and ran an auto scan of channels, just in case. Nada.

I am at my wit's end. I have no idea what's going on. Hopefully it'll magically fix itself again, but man this is frustrating. Any ideas?
The heat and humidity are causing distant signals to cut in and interfere with the local ones. See http://www.dxinfocentre.com/tropo.html for predictions on which days will be especially bad. Here in Mid-MO most of our locals are lower power, even if not technically low-power stations like KQFX, and they're getting trampled on by more powerful distant stations on the same frequencies. On the flip side, it looks like today would be a great day to pick up Springfield stations... With a powerful antenna and perfect conditions, might even see Joplin, Fort Smith or even Tulsa.
post #1179 of 1186 Old 06-15-2016, 03:42 PM

Thanks, Joel...

It's really doing a number out there for sure...even KOMU is dying, LOL...
post #1180 of 1186 Old 06-15-2016, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 157
It is very, very, very unlikely that out of market signals are causing reception issues with the local stations to anyone in Fulton.
post #1181 of 1186 Old 10-24-2018, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Kqfx

I live in an area where KQFX and KRBK overlap. Yesterday KRBK activated their broadcast on RF 22 which happens to be the same RF KQFX broadcasts. It wiped out KQFX. I know KQFX is supposed to move to RF30. Does anyone know when this is going to happen?
post #1182 of 1186 Old 10-24-2018, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by welkin View Post
I live in an area where KQFX and KRBK overlap. Yesterday KRBK activated their broadcast on RF 22 which happens to be the same RF KQFX broadcasts. It wiped out KQFX. I know KQFX is supposed to move to RF30. Does anyone know when this is going to happen?
Looking at the licenses at the FCC's page, I don't see where KRBK overlaps. It is authorized RF channel 49. I can't find where it's authorized to switch to 22. Normally the government keeps tight tabs on this kind of thing to prevent problems.

Where did you hear of the KQFX-LD move to RF channel 30?

https://publicfiles.fcc.gov/find/

Last edited by cummings66; 10-24-2018 at 02:09 PM.
post #1183 of 1186 Old 10-24-2018, 06:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by cummings66 View Post
Looking at the licenses at the FCC's page, I don't see where KRBK overlaps. It is authorized RF channel 49. I can't find where it's authorized to switch to 22. Normally the government keeps tight tabs on this kind of thing to prevent problems.
https://www.rabbitears.info/market.p...&callsign=krbk
and the KRBK Engineering Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/pg/fox5krbk...=page_internal

Quote:
Where did you hear of the KQFX-LD move to RF channel 30?

https://publicfiles.fcc.gov/find/
the same rabbitears site and also the FCC site
https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/da...AppSearch.html

But the issue is KQFX is dropping power to 3200 watts so they dont interfere with KRBK and so they can cover their city of license. It says they have issues with the tower
The licensee holds a construction permit for displacement to Channel 30.
See FCC File No. 0000052554. However, due to serious tower structural issues, it is not
possible to construct the new Channel 30 facility at this time. Given the limitations on
tower riggers available for tall tower work, in addition to the magnitude of the tower
structural issues, it is anticipated that it could take a significant amount of time to
accomplish the KQFX-LD construction on Channel 30.

https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/da...6548c0b0361a98
post #1184 of 1186 Old 07-30-2019, 06:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Networks of Mid-Missouri replacing broadcast tower

https://www.abc17news.com/news/netwo...wer/1100267186

The tower between Jamestown and Prairie Home is beyond repair and is being replaced this summer, requiring the shutdown of one of the Networks of Mid-Missouri's digital channels. However, all stations will still be available over the air.

"Our major concern is it has weakened to the point where we're not sure whether a strong storm or even just ice in the winter might cause enough extra weight on it or enough extra force that it would just collapse," ABC 17 Chief Engineer Eric Jones said of the aging tower. "Then we'd be without a tower for a lot longer."

The switch from the old tower to the new one begins in earnest overnight Wednesday, though preparations have been ongoing for months. Overnight, company engineers will move the broadcast of digital channel 17 to a temporary site while the tower is replaced, resulting in a brief interruption of service.

"The impact to the viewer should be fairly minor, except for maybe the far reaches of the market," Jones said. "But it will have an impact of Wednesday night of this week."

Channel 17 will return to the air Thursday, but channel 22 will be off the air for the duration of the project, which is expected to wrap up by Nov. 1. During that time FOX 22 will be available on digital channel 17.4 but the Laff, Grit and Escape stations usually available on digital channel 22 will be off-air during the project.

Satellite and cable viewers should still get all the stations broadcast on digital channel 17 – ABC 17, Me-TV, MyZOU, FOX 22 and Bounce -- with little to no interruption. Over-the-air viewers might lose signal because of FCC regulations that require the temporary broadcast power transmit at a lower frequency.
post #1185 of 1186 Old 07-30-2019, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Info sent to FCC regarding silent STA for Fox 22

https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/da...6c3a7142822551

NPG of Missouri, LLC (“NPG” or the “Licensee”), licensee of KQFX-LD, Columbia,
Missouri (Fac. ID No. 56176), anticipates taking KQFX-LD off the air for an extended period of
time commencing on or around August 1, 2019, as part of a tower replacement project.
More specifically, NPG needs to replace the tower from which KQFX-LD broadcasts,
which is currently registered with the Commission as ASR #1003118 (the “Tower”). Based on
information provided by its contractors, the Licensee anticipates that the project will take
approximately four months to complete (depending, of course, on weather and on unrelated repack
demands on various contractors/subcontractors). On or around August 1, contractors are
scheduled to remove current users—including KQFX-LD and co-owned full power TV station
KMIZ—from the Tower. KMIZ, which is owned and operated by NPG, will be moved to a
different tower, pursuant to the STA granted in LMS File No. 0000077907, to continue operations
during the period of time that the Tower is dismantled and that the replacement tower is constructed
at the same location as the Tower. KQFX-LD, on the other hand, will not be moved to a temporary
location to continue on-air operations; instead, KQFX-LD will remain silent for the duration of
the Tower dismantlement and replacement tower construction. Hence the need for this silent STA
filing.
KQFX-LD currently broadcasts four program streams. The primary program stream is the
Big Four network Fox; the other three program streams are Laff, Grit, and Escape. During the
period of time that KQFX-LD is off the air, its primary program stream—including local news—
will be carried by co-owned KMIZ as a multicast channel. Thus, viewers who have come to rely
on KQFX-LD’s primary program stream for news, emergency information, sports, and
entertainment programming will still have access to KQFX-LD’s content during the period of
silence. In light of the circumstances described above, grant of this silent STA request would be
in the public interest.
In the event the tower project is not complete within 6 months, the Licensee will file a
request to extend silent STA.
post #1186 of 1186 Old 11-26-2019, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
KQFX Move to RF30

Does anyone know when the KQFX move to RF30 is happening?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page